Post your builds

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
If you're only doing round wire and you already have the spool tamer why not just leave the button out and use the spool tamer for spacing?

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Only works if the spool is round with no notches might be that whiteowl?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you're only doing round wire and you already have the spool tamer why not just leave the button out and use the spool tamer for spacing?

The problem with that is if your spools of Ni80 are by CrazyWire, for example, then the indentations or whachamacallit in the edges of your spools will be preventing you from using, in the same fashion OhmBoy Josh has shown in his video, the bits that came with your Coil Master coiling jig:
Code:
https://youtu.be/38kYjw2B3Zk?t=238

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only works if the spool is round with no notches might be that whiteowl?
I've yet to use one on a spool they didn't like...well they don't like LV spools because the wire isn't spooled properly but that's a different matter.
I'm sure there are a few though.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Experimentation
4f4214b2ad70ffb1d53f9f936e4620f4.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
My extensive coil knowledge tells me you will get black cotton in the middle of that monstrosity :p

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No idea why i buy expensive ass ribbon i throw it all away
Keep at it man! When i 1st started using ribbon 6 months ago it was the bane of my existance. I never thought i was going to get it. Now its my favorite part of the process. Whats the main problem you run into?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Doesnt seem to matter what i do with it anymore prep wise, just does not want to cooperate. Was trying to make 5ply .4 framed with 28g ss.. The frame just ended up bunched up on top of ribbon

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No idea why i buy expensive ass ribbon i throw it all away
If you keep tossing it, your prep is way off. What's the actual problem?
Ray and I do stuff about as easy and simple as it can be done so it should be easy enough to get your ribbon into a build.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Was a brand new 100' roll of KP ribbon .4 ... I might have 20ft left rest is just in trash wire box along with all the other ribbon

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stop, don't. Tell me what you're trying to make and I'll tell you how to do it.
KP wire is too expensive to experiment with, especially when CS is indistinguishable under the macro. Hell I use Kbee SS and get mad color.
It blows my mind how people will pay 2x or 3x more for ribbon because it comes off the spool perfect when it takes me and Ray about 30 seconds to get enough cheap ribbon ready for a 16+ ply build.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Stop, don't. Tell me what you're trying to make and I'll tell you how to do it.
KP wire is too expensive to experiment with, especially when CS is indistinguishable under the macro. Hell I use Kbee SS and get mad color.
It blows my mind how people will pay 2x or 3x more for ribbon because it comes off the spool perfect when it takes me and Ray about 30 seconds to get enough cheap ribbon ready for a 16+ ply build.

Actually i bought it because KP was the only vendor i found that had .4 in stock, tried temco, LV , kbee and they didnt have it.
I just want to be able to wrap the ribbon without a piece slipping out of the stack. I want to be able to put it between the frames without my face glowing red cause it all comes undone when i try to get it between the frames

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesnt seem to matter what i do with it anymore prep wise, just does not want to cooperate. Was trying to make 5ply .4 framed with 28g ss.. The frame just ended up bunched up on top of ribbon
5plys? So your not using the fold/loop method?

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The first setup was 4 ply 2 24" pieces , ran ejuice in a little bottle cap to dip my finger in and run it along the ribbon, found center then pinched together with a piece of 30g(or 28 cant remember) then bound it up right under the hoop

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually i bought it because KP was the only vendor i found that had .4 in stock, tried temco, LV , kbee and they didnt have it.
I just want to be able to wrap the ribbon without a piece slipping out of the stack. I want to be able to put it between the frames without my face glowing red cause it all comes undone when i try to get it between the frames
Just last week I gott .3 & .4 from kbee. Mabey my big 6 spool order wiped out their inventory. Lol sorry

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Made some SS aliens, 30gx3 with 40g wrap.
Then some clapton core aliens i really like the vape off these, this set is 2x 30g ss with 40g wrap and middle core is 30g kanthal with 40g wrap and alien wrap is 38g. Neither build was perfect suppose they'll work
4a719a2dfae65f1985828a6bfc14bad2.jpg
8a8e0a2ef45162b4d1ca003f808d7fb6.jpg

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you just talking about fraples?
Stack your ribbon covered in VG, needs to be 8" long pieces for dual coils. Bind them together a few wraps on the very ends.
Take one long piece of frame, fold it in half, sit the stack between the frames, glue/bind on both ends, put the open end in the drill, hook the closed end on the swivel.
Any way other than this takes longer, fails more often, loses pieces of ribbon, etc...
Like Ray and I say over and over again, float the ribbon.

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Are you just talking about fraples?
Stack your ribbon covered in VG, needs to be 8" long pieces for dual coils. Bind them together a few wraps on the very ends.
Take one long piece of frame, fold it in half, sit the stack between the frames, glue/bind on both ends, put the open end in the drill, hook the closed end on the swivel.
Any way other than this takes longer, fails more often, loses pieces of ribbon, etc...
Like Ray and I say over and over again, float the ribbon.

I have no idea how to make fraples, well i dont know how to gauge what size decore i need for my alien. Im going to do step by step what you just said tho owl if i make a good set ill send you a bingo box of ejuice... (keep tripping on it)

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The first setup was 4 ply 2 24" pieces , ran ejuice in a little bottle cap to dip my finger in and run it along the ribbon, found center then pinched together with a piece of 30g(or 28 cant remember) then bound it up right under the hoop
With all due respect to whiteowl and raymo I dont float the stack on FS builds. Theres always more than one way to skin a cat. Heres how I do mine. Fold and wrap ribbon making sure its all stacked perfect use a little water, put on one slider with moderate tension
749b76e7b6588d4fcd8ff1f505faf70a.jpg

Fold frame wire, align with ribbon stack, wrap (dont let the cores twist here) and put a slider around all. This one can be tight and give it a pinch with nylon plyers.
95692b4994e0e61db1e44474f7db7cf9.jpg

Then hook on swivel and pull both sliders towards loose end. The inner slider will line up the ribbon strands all on its own. Keep tension on her, wrap drill end, and glue. Chuck it up pull the drill tight and then i usually move the outside slider to the center of stick. So far Ive done over 40 FS like this and it NEVER fails for me! May take 5 more minutes than the float technique but at this point I dont think thats matters too much. Btw your Aliens are looking clean!

Dustyjeans

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Dustyjeans
I forgot what thread it was where I mentioned the paraclap thing and you said you were paraplegic so I'm posting this here.
Thus is how I paraclap:
2 sandwich sized ziplocks about 1/3 open with the wire poking out. Just let them feed you wire as you paraclap. I use the box to hold up the baggies.
You can also dual spool with 2 spools in one hand but it's hard to do across 18" or so.

74886b2616958a3ca9e85ca043a691f8.jpg

Worked like a charm! I dreaded paraclap before this revelation. Thanks so much man

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use 26g frames with .4 ribbon and it would be much easier. Those staples I posted were made with that combo and it makes it easier since they are the same height. I found out the hard way that 28g is smaller than .4 and I could never keep the ribbon from rolling under. Keep trying man! Half the battle is technique/ knowledge. Here's where "the more you know" music cues on an nbc commercial ;)

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no idea how to make fraples, well i dont know how to gauge what size decore i need for my alien. Im going to do step by step what you just said tho owl if i make a good set ill send you a bingo box of ejuice... (keep tripping on it)
A fraple is just a framed staple.

@Dustyjeans
Your way works but uses more ribbon to make the loop and stick in the drill and it's much harder to advance to stagertons and SSFCs when you're accustomed to doing it like that because they won't work worth a damn plus when you start turning it fast it'll wobble alot more than it will if you float it which will make it harder to everything. The way you're doing it is the way I started doing it.
There are shit loads of ways to make fraples but floating shit is the only thing that works on everything.

Eggen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wow! alot of good info in the last few days that I have not been able to get on this thread! I cant wait to get back to attempting more of these builds involving ribbon with all the tips you guys have been talking about. im recovering from a pretty bad concussion so I have not really been able to do much of anything but im hoping to try some of this stuff out in a day or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doesn't work on ribbon, especially if you use 40g.

The button doesn't work on round wire with 40g either from my experience, one of the main reasons I learned to paraclap. Finally have dual spools of 40g so I can try the bag trick, but I've been using some flat lego bricks with one of the bricks having a 3 holes (I'll post a pic if I can) to do the same thing MindForge does with his phone clip thing to get clean paraclaps. Makes it where one mistake near the mid of the strand doesn't have me pulling my hair out lol.
I just feed the wires down through the top of one of the outer holes and sandwich them parallel, regular paraclap about an inch so I can slide the legos to the core and then go full speed.
(Only works with round wire of course)
lego.jpg

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got my first mechanical mod from my local shop that was having a 4th of July sale. Got a black coated copper Vaperz cloud XXX with a couple Ijoy 20700s. Got home charged my batteries, and threw my Goon 1.5 on it, with a fralien @ .12 wrapped in 40g 5 wraps on a 3mm. I guess I was sorta let down because of how cool a vape it was. I asked someone on a youtube live show and they suggested I do a .08, so I retuned the same build but with N80 frames and 4 wraps on 3mm (28g frames, 8x.3R, 40g) comes in at .09 and is better but I guess its not what I was expecting. Pretty sure its my build? I tightened up the telescoping part a bit and it seemed to hit better, but I figured around 3.7v fresh batteries (with sag) would be in the neighborhood of 150 watts. It vapes like my 5wrap kanthal frames @ 110-120 watts on my regulated. Any tips? Or suggestions for builds? WP_20170706_11_56_39_Pro.jpg

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Got my first mechanical mod from my local shop that was having a 4th of July sale. Got a black coated copper Vaperz cloud XXX with a couple Ijoy 20700s. Got home charged my batteries, and threw my Goon 1.5 on it, with a fralien @ .12 wrapped in 40g 5 wraps on a 3mm. I guess I was sorta let down because of how cool a vape it was. I asked someone on a youtube live show and they suggested I do a .08, so I retuned the same build but with N80 frames and 4 wraps on 3mm (28g frames, 8x.3R, 40g) comes in at .09 and is better but I guess its not what I was expecting. Pretty sure its my build? I tightened up the telescoping part a bit and it seemed to hit better, but I figured around 3.7v fresh batteries (with sag) would be in the neighborhood of 150 watts. It vapes like my 5wrap kanthal frames @ 110-120 watts on my regulated. Any tips? Or suggestions for builds? View attachment 86077
Wish i knew th3t cause id love a mech, but it seems you have to buy a certain type for ohm range you like but i dunno. I read about series and parallel mechs alot and by the time i get done reading i hug my regulated mod and just vape lol

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you want a nice hot vape do a 4 core alien on it. That fralien is just to much metal to heat up.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks man. I enjoy making them. I have been gone for a bit, did you ever end up getting one coiled up?

I tried mate but just cannot for the life of me get the bloody frames to stay on top of the verticle ribbon stack!

Think I need to try a different binding approach in all honesty

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is other ways to do them. Try doing a decore on 30g and wrapping that on 4 cores of 26g. You can leave that as is or you can put a small inlay on it.

And that will do just fine @Jriley should heat up quick.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why don't you try using a key ring?
That was an old issue I was having. I used to use a key ring but found I like ribbon sliders better. A key ribh wouldnt work on that particular issue I was talking about though. If the ribbon is taller than the frames the key ring wont be able to hold the frames. Once I figured out that 26g wire has a .4 diameter I was all set.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got my first mechanical mod from my local shop that was having a 4th of July sale. Got a black coated copper Vaperz cloud XXX with a couple Ijoy 20700s. Got home charged my batteries, and threw my Goon 1.5 on it, with a fralien @ .12 wrapped in 40g 5 wraps on a 3mm. I guess I was sorta let down because of how cool a vape it was. I asked someone on a youtube live show and they suggested I do a .08, so I retuned the same build but with N80 frames and 4 wraps on 3mm (28g frames, 8x.3R, 40g) comes in at .09 and is better but I guess its not what I was expecting. Pretty sure its my build? I tightened up the telescoping part a bit and it seemed to hit better, but I figured around 3.7v fresh batteries (with sag) would be in the neighborhood of 150 watts. It vapes like my 5wrap kanthal frames @ 110-120 watts on my regulated. Any tips? Or suggestions for builds? View attachment 86077
Build with mostly SS and n80.
7ply, 26g frames, 4 wraps 3 mm.
4x 28g aliens all SS or 5x 28g all n80.

I build around 0.07 for HG2s so you'll be fine with lower if you use little to no kanthal.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The button doesn't work on round wire with 40g either from my experience, one of the main reasons I learned to paraclap. Finally have dual spools of 40g so I can try the bag trick, but I've been using some flat lego bricks with one of the bricks having a 3 holes (I'll post a pic if I can) to do the same thing MindForge does with his phone clip thing to get clean paraclaps. Makes it where one mistake near the mid of the strand doesn't have me pulling my hair out lol.
I just feed the wires down through the top of one of the outer holes and sandwich them parallel, regular paraclap about an inch so I can slide the legos to the core and then go full speed.
(Only works with round wire of course)
View attachment 86076
Never tried the button with 40g. With 38g Ni80 it works fine for me, but I added a weight to the little piece of wire that's tied to the button, and I didn't use my drill at full speed... the end result was my second coil build that I ever made, which ended up looking like this:

build2.jpg

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a mean looking setup man! The black paints are a perfect match

Jriley

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
This thread chronicles the advancement of many people's builds. And is packed full of all kinds of useful info. One of my favorite parts of the forum. It seems to me this is the exact place to post your first build. And it looks like it came out nice!
Fuck yes, DKP for cormic.
Remember your first coil build and what page its on, then a year from now go find it like a lost child "awww how cute.." then throw your alien staggered triple staple fraple fralien pic out

VU Sponsors