Become a Patron!

Post your builds

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a81702eafa5a8aa5d7ab1b312a5ea619.jpg

My first fused claptons and framed staple. The fuses are 26g*2/36g all n80, the frames staple is 26g*2 n80, 10*.4x.1 k1, 36g n80. I don’t have a swivel setup so they’re all freehand. The one on the right was me trying to make a helix staple. I think it’s like 18 ply lol with twisted 2*28g frames. Started wrapping it and realized how hard it was with no swivel and no hand drill or loupe, so I just let the drill rip and eyeballed the spacing on the wrap hah. It was looking cool until the wrap snapped (backed the wrap off too many times in the same spot). I ended up with enough for those few wraps, but it ohm’d at .06 so it’s a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sit proud?

Sit proud means won't go down far enough to touch the top of the mod, i.e. there is a gap between the mod and the atomizer

I have those plastic rings you can put between a mod and an atomizer but I wouldn't pay $100 for a mod that I'd have to do that with, does look cool though

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a81702eafa5a8aa5d7ab1b312a5ea619.jpg

My first fused claptons and framed staple. The fuses are 26g*2/36g all n80, the frames staple is 26g*2 n80, 10*.4x.1 k1, 36g n80. I don’t have a swivel setup so they’re all freehand. The one on the right was me trying to make a helix staple. I think it’s like 18 ply lol with twisted 2*28g frames. Started wrapping it and realized how hard it was with no swivel and no hand drill or loupe, so I just let the drill rip and eyeballed the spacing on the wrap hah. It was looking cool until the wrap snapped (backed the wrap off too many times in the same spot). I ended up with enough for those few wraps, but it ohm’d at .06 so it’s a no go.

that helix staple looks great, too bad it broke. I've been doing a lot of eyeballing spaced fusing myself, since I've lost my glasses and have to give my contacts a break when I get home. getting kinda good lol those are all nice looking coils man. here's my latest. 6*.4x.1KA1 (twisted in pairs of 3 CW&CCW) framed with 28g N80 In a rush, so eyeballed the fuse with 38g N80

The last photo is my latest SSFC 28g N80 frames, 8*.4x.1 KA1, 38g N80 stagger and fuse.

I've found the SSFC/SFC variants are my new favorite. For some reason, I get a better vape from them than any other, even the usual framed staple variants.
8556728c34414f3ef659637e3a1fe98c.jpg
0e6aa5cd6aa5c9eb727e45cc05a57186.jpg
453b9e275e85248facac6da6a9dd36f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Super excited about what I have coming in the mail :)
5487225c4546e09b73d5d273489e8a6b.jpg

520e40a7a6db457a625c17475e171007.jpg

busy vape mail week for me this week.. got my 2 boxes from wizard labs this morning. new mag mixer guaranteed tomorrow. Coil Society package arrived Monday. The Mrs. new mod Sat so I can retrieve my noisy cricket 2 from her.. lmk how you like those clamps. I've had my eye on them for a bit now, the chuck on my drill gives me fits lately, only 1 slot will hold anything smaller than 26g now.

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’d be standing by the front door like a dog with all that mail lol
Prepped this up for when my swivels come in tomorrow.
dfb1e08ba78c0a897f03a3124fd22a6c.jpg

oh wow, that's some nice prep work! should make a framed staple.. or fralien, however you decide to wrap it.. very very clean.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This seems like it will work, it at least won't move toward the swivels

Something sturdier like those hose clamps would be easier to lock in
View attachment 107556

This works okayish, clamps would be better. It tends to twist as it's used
i dunno about your drill, or ohmboy joshes drill (i have the fiskars one so it should be the same), but i can squeeze mine in my hand hard enough to make it creak and groan like its about to break. it makes the sounds when i put it in the vise and its not even tight yet. thats why i tried the hose clamps to give the vise something to grab onto, and it even cries when those get tight enough to hold it still :huh: its fine once its in place, and i clamp the vise to my desk to the whole thing is solid and stable (i set my powered drill up the same way now because its got no foot to stand up on its own and this is much easier imo).

@william.osendott the clamps are a game changer imo. definitely grab a set if you are even remotely thinking about it/on the fence. even the crappy plastic ones i broke were amazing. rays are cheaper than those, and made of metal :cheers: there should be a set in every builders toolbox imo.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well whatever it's going to be I'll give it a try. Not sure whether I'd vape or frame some of your work man.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That's really nice of you to say brother! Thanks so much for the support. I'll be waiting for your next post. Seems like you got the wrapping process for your staples down. Staples are a great choice btw. That was one of the first coils I learned how to build after the fused clapton. Then I learned how to frame them and that made a huge, huge difference to me. Plus they were easier to wrap.;)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's a Squid Industries Double Barrel 2.1

I used to want one, but saw some atomizers sit proud an wouldnt pay that much for that risk

Some atomizers sit proud? I don’t understand

Sorry I just saw your response. There’s no risk at all... the reason some atomizers don’t sit completely flush is because of the size of the mod and the chip placement (to my knowledge). It comes with delrin spacers to make up the gap for the atomizers that have a little longer 510 then others. There’s certainly no danger in the way anything is set up... I absolutely love this mod. The size, the weight, the simplicity and the battery life is just outstanding. I honestly rate it 9-9.5/10..... it’s that good.

Edit Again: just to be clear, not all atomizers have that space but I still use the delrin disk every single time just to give some added protection against scratching and I think it helps with some heat dissipation.

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think by saying sit proud she's saying sit there at a high price, but that's just a guesso_O

She was referring to some atomizers not sitting flush with the top of the mod. To my knowledge, because the mod is so small, where the chip is placed on the mod the 510 could only be spring loaded to a certain point where some atomizers won’t sit flush if it has a bit longer of a 510 pin

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
She was referring to some atomizers not sitting flush with the top of the mod. To my knowledge, because the mod is so small, where the chip is placed on the mod the 510 could only be spring loaded to a certain point where some atomizers won’t sit flush if it has a bit longer of a 510 pin

That's right, some length of 510 pin had to be sacrificed to get the mod so small, and I do love small mods, so that's not really a bad thing. It was a decision of design which may be worth it

People on ECF used to call it "sit proud", old terminology that I'll try to ditch lol, I mean "not sit flush"

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 107587 View attachment 107588

32/40, I messed up staggering on a 30awg core and got a big knot of wrap wire which I had to cut off, then I put the wrap back on 32 awg, that's why the outside wraps look so big

I think this might be cool
thats the recipe for the metal snake spine, you just have to have a bigger difference in your initial core/final core sizes (4-6 larger decore). once its fused together you just kinda comb the loose wraps in one direction or the other (and some people put a staple stack in the middle for kicks lol).

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's right, some length of 510 pin had to be sacrificed to get the mod so small, and I do love small mods, so that's not really a bad thing. It was a decision of design which may be worth it

People on ECF used to call it "sit proud", old terminology that I'll try to ditch lol, I mean "not sit flush"

Lol... well if your still looking to grab one, I highly recommend it... u could always grab it from chef!!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Lol... well if your still looking to grab one, I highly recommend it... u could always grab it from chef!!

I am broked! I got my Invoke, it's cheap but tiny, got all the battery holders I need otherwise :D

Antman likes to vape!

IMG_20180330_115658~2.jpg

Used the not-perfect section first to see how it would vape, how many wraps are good, etc

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I am broked! I got my Invoke, it's cheap but tiny, got all the battery holders I need otherwise :D

Antman likes to vape!

View attachment 107590

Used the not-perfect section first to see how it would vape, how many wraps are good, etc
That's so tiny it's to cute ;D I'm so tired of this easterholidays here in finland:grumpy: Tommorrow is the last day of work then i have 3 days of the work.... 3 days of building :bliss:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If anyone needs some quality RDAs for cheap I got some for sale over in the Trading Post sub forum. 2 of them have some of the biggest post holes I’ve ever seen (that’s why I grabbed them in the first place LOL)... and I got a solid 80w full resin body squonk mod for cheap as well... doing some spring cleaning with my collection!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Super excited about what I have coming in the mail :)
5487225c4546e09b73d5d273489e8a6b.jpg

520e40a7a6db457a625c17475e171007.jpg

How about those swivels, got them yet? I got a pair of 320 lb test Krok swivels but they don't spin as easily as my tiny 30 lb test Mustad ones :( I got to figure out what to lubricate them with

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is that one I made with the hand drill, the colors went all crazy! Happy Easter!
IMG_20180330_180209~2.jpg

I don't think I'm going to vape it, too much heat

Edit: I put too much heat into the coils while installing, and over oxidized them, I mean

Last edited:

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about those swivels, got them yet? I got a pair of 320 lb test Krok swivels but they don't spin as easily as my tiny 30 lb test Mustad ones :( I got to figure out what to lubricate them with
I use wd40 on mine, but if you can find some white lithium grease or best yet, graphite, you'd probably be better off

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anyone in here manage to get an exceptional vape out of a dead rabbit? i have barely used mine. tried some alien framed staples and a set of 4x30/40 aliens in it and both times i ended up putting the coils into something else because i wasnt getting a good vape. i keep seeing people say they love it and i want to give it a fair shake. post your dead rabbit builds :cheers:

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
anyone in here manage to get an exceptional vape out of a dead rabbit? i have barely used mine. tried some alien framed staples and a set of 4x30/40 aliens in it and both times i ended up putting the coils into something else because i wasnt getting a good vape. i keep seeing people say they love it and i want to give it a fair shake. post your dead rabbit builds :cheers:
I sold mine on here a month or so back and got a lot of messages about how people were shocked to see it for sale. I bought it when it first dropped and kept trying and trying up until it was sold and with the exception of the very first pull I took off it, which was MAYBE better than average, I could never get the flavor everyone talks of. I don't miss having it in my vape case.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Slow learner my arse meg hahaha. What is it that's giving you trouble?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

My staggering is great until right before the end, then it makes a big knot and ruins the whole length. I can just make shorter lengths at a time *nod nod* just got to quit trying to shortcut

I do tend to keep trying the same thing the same way and failing the same way more than once lol

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Slow learner my arse meg hahaha
:teehee:

My staggering is great until right before the end, then it makes a big knot and ruins the whole length. I can just make shorter lengths at a time *nod nod* just got to quit trying to shortcut
are your spaced wraps bunching up/getting too tight as you go? sometimes teh spaced wraps will move a bit as you fuse between them and eventually, if theres no 'open' wire for them to move into, they will get too small to fuse between. try leaving some extra length of core wire at your swivels with no spaced wraps to give some room to expand into :cheers:

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right isn't it though @mach1ne? Lol. @Pegleg Meg what technique are you using to do the stagger? I find a weighted button technique the best one for me on round wire, with how quick you learn though you would probably be better learning how to paraclap. Gets the best spacing possible when you've got it down and can be used on your ribbon stacks just as easily. Still need to learn it myself like and it does seem tricky but that could just be me over thinking it :) the higher gauges work best with that technique from what I've read as well.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right isn't it though @mach1ne? Lol
yeah i read her say that and i thought 'my arse' too, then i saw you say it and giggled a bit.

the most recent 'waves' of new talent in here have been exceptional. i feel like there is no slow learning going on here lately with people like her, @Zyed @The_hat_trix @william.osendott @Branpro @AnthonyLouis @Shredtravolta @Zohmbiebuilds @Wtmke1 (sorry if i forgot anyone lol theres a lot of people for me to keep track of coming and going from here) showing up/making their returns here in droves. its the valhalla of building, and the gods are pleased <3 :cheers:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
:teehee:

are your spaced wraps bunching up/getting too tight as you go? sometimes teh spaced wraps will move a bit as you fuse between them and eventually, if theres no 'open' wire for them to move into, they will get too small to fuse between. try leaving some extra length of core wire at your swivels with no spaced wraps to give some room to expand into :cheers:

It's the initial spacing, I have a tightened weighted loop that goes great until about 5 inches left of core, then the weight and loop and my wrap wire get tangled in a knot really fast. I was trying to get enough for 3 sections to fuse together, I'll just make one shorter staggered length at a time instead, maybe the 40awg spacing wire just can't handle that long of a work shift

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's the initial spacing, I have a tightened weighted loop that goes great until about 5 inches left of core, then the weight and loop and my wrap wire get tangled in a knot really fast. I was trying to get enough for 3 sections to fuse together, I'll just make one shorter staggered length at a time instead, maybe the 40awg spacing wire just can't handle that long of a work shift
oh it happens during spacing/prep. i dunno then lol. you are probably right about the 40, its very fragile. seems very possible to me that it just get worn thin enough to get sucked into your wrap wire eventually. have you tried to take apart the knot to look at your spacing wire to see/confirm if its all fucked up? possibly tying the tightened weighted loop a turn or two looser might help (but only if that still works for good spacing). shorter runs might be the best choice.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a better quality drill than the Harbor Freight ones I've been using for the last 2 years. I bought a new one, and the QC sucks on these things - the spin tolerance sucks. So I got a DeWalt. Still haven't used it for aliens yet, but it should be a lot easier to make 'em with this drill.

tkU8CUm.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a better quality drill than the Harbor Freight ones I've been using for the last 2 years. I bought a new one, and the QC sucks on these things - the spin tolerance sucks. So I got a DeWalt. Still haven't used it for aliens yet, but it should be a lot easier to make 'em with this drill.

tkU8CUm.jpg

Let me know how it works out... I got a decent corded drill but I do need a cordless for stags

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
yeah i read her say that and i thought 'my arse' too, then i saw you say it and giggled a bit.

the most recent 'waves' of new talent in here have been exceptional. i feel like there is no slow learning going on here lately with people like her, @Zyed @The_hat_trix @william.osendott @Branpro @AnthonyLouis @Shredtravolta @Zohmbiebuilds @Wtmke1 (sorry if i forgot anyone lol theres a lot of people for me to keep track of coming and going from here) showing up/making their returns here in droves. its the valhalla of building, and the gods are pleased <3 :cheers:

super glad I made my way back here :)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
make sure you keep your Clapton wire at 90 degree from the core/spacer while claptoning.. if you lead too much or too little you'll end up with your wire and spacer doing just as you say.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
lol i just installed that 36/46 alien into the nofear unlimited clone i picked up a while ago. it took just over 2 ohms worth to cover the deck with coil. i put it on that weird squonk adapter for tube mods and its a pretty fun vape. its not very easy to make a coil out of wire that small. my install reminds me a bit of @CrazyChef v2.0 famous 'first build' pic :cheers:
minialien.jpg

VU Sponsors