3ded09efe4d8dd12e16aab58bbb97d41.jpg
a2f407f0b776f4efe069148785ba253e.jpg
52eaa0e6119005ca355ec311d976f008.jpg

Ya, dis is goot?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Build came out to .36ohms. Got a dry hit or two but its wicking alright. Probably gonna drill out juice holes a bit since im running high vg but if i prime it every few hits should be fine for now

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drilled them out with a 5/64 bit (i think) just slightly bigger than they were. Resistance droped down to .3 from the reinstall and def a better vape now

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine was finiky about ohms readings. If I turn on the atomizer stats on my Lavabox... the ohms is constantly changing. It is the only RDA or Tank that I have that does that. I have the same clone that you have. One I got it setup now, I have been loving it. Really happy that I have no leakage issues at all! I heard a lot of bad things about them being leaky but thankfully I haven't had to deal with that yet!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I finally received my Griffin RTA so far it has the biggest deck Ive seen on a RTA to date. Its actually slightly bigger (spread further apart) then my Velocity RDA's posts. It dwarfs the Crius and Aromamizers decks by a long shot, builds I used that almost touched the outer chamber would fit between then posts on the Griffin with room to spare....
20160108_132005.jpg20160108_132050.jpg

I built a 2x22K/42N80 Fused Clapton just to see if I could manage fitting something that is the same size as the real rda. I wrapped the wire on a 3mm bit and made 6 wraps (.13 Ohms). The wire slipped into the post holes easily and with enough room for staging wire if I chose to next time. The coil fit perfectly but the wicking would have been a bit tight if I left them at 6 so I dropped a wrap and wicked the build. I felt I didnt use enough cotton as the cotton seemed very loose on the shelf system for it, I decided to leave it and Im glad I did. The cold weather here thickens liquid and using 80/20 liquid doesnt help but the amount of cotton used seems to be working very well for now.
20160108_141917.jpg 20160108_141832.jpg

There was a bit of spitback using the tip they provided but after a few draws it was gone. I have it set on 90w and the cotton is slowly breaking in, it has around the same amount of airflow as the Crius and it definitely is a good thing for building coils like these. The experience f using this tank with this setup is the same of my Twisted Messes RDA with the same build in it, now I dont need to drip every few draws and can enjoy it that much more. I suggest everyone that builds jump on this RTA, Fuck the Crius and Fuck the Aromamizer, I spit on that garbage and Im glad companies are releasing products with the same vision just designed around our needs. I cannot wait to compare it to the VCMT 25mm when it arrives soon!

Heres to show what Im talking about...The build in the Griffin is the Same build in the Twisted Messes Mini except the outer wrap is thinner on the TM Mini, try that in a Crius or Aromamizer ;)
20160108_150258.jpg 22K 46N60.jpg

Update:
Its been about 4 hours of vaping with this setup and Im not a fan of ramp up time so I tend to use higher wattage to balance the wait out.I broke in the cotton vaping it at 90w for around a half hour or so. I started stepping up the wattage since it took forever to ramp up, first I bumped it up to 110w and it was still a cool-ish vape with 2-2.5 seconds to full tilt and I have had set at 130w for the last 2 hours and I can say this is the highest Ive vaped a RTA and not got a dry hit so far. I dont feel the need to go higher but Im sure it could do 150w easily, I find that insane for a tank with a user made build. Normally with RTAs my builds dont exceed 90w and usually I run them around 70-75w. This RTA is a RDA in every way, it can be turnt' up and gives the identical performance to one of my favorite RDAs including the airflow which most have airflow but getting vapor to be as warm and full will normally lead to dry hits....This is my new favorite tank and Im sure the VCMT wont be much better, I think RTAs will plateau in performance after trying this Griffin....how much better could it get??

Last edited:

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bah! Small build deck but I like mine. Great flavor! Can't wait to get my velocity rdta!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Im gonna get one of those for sure but i think ill take a look at the griffin now too

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
but i just got mine. Youre saying its already obsolete?!?

I hated both the Crius and the Aromamizer after using them a day each, I went back to my TFV4 with TF-R2 rba...I didnt like them due to their small decks, small chamber and crappy designs and dryhits seem to plague them both and I didnt trust them to go outside in the cold. Grab a Griffin, you will not turn back. The Crius was great when I got the wicking perfect but if I wasnt constantly using it I somehow would burn the cotton and have to rewick, the Aromamizer I had to mod the crap out of just for decent results...no more, I havent had to do anything but make and install coils and then use it. No stripped set screws this time around, no leaking or finicky issues...The only thing I could imagine complaining about is that the AFC ring isnt as tight as I like it (I like them hard to turn) but I could always wrap a 36g wire between the base and AFC ring to tighten it up.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That Griffen does look nice. I will report in the velocity rdta when I get it. How much is that Griffen?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That Griffen does look nice. I will report in the velocity rdta when I get it. How much is that Griffen?

I paid $29 for it with a coupon but they run from 30-40 depending on where you look. I saw that that Velocity RTDA Genny tank, the only problem I have with those is gravity...it pulls down not up and having juice travel upwards doesnt seem like the best way to have it...They should have had a juice chamber above the posts and have it so your wick goes up into it, we already have wicking issues with gravity helping pull juice to the wick...This is the only reason why I didnt purchase it but please report back about how it ends up being when you get it. I think the Griffin or VCMT are peoples best bet at getting the perfect experience out of a RTA with Velocity deck, a true builders RTA. I have high expectations for my soon to arrive 25mm VCMT, my guess its a 25mm version of the Griffin-Which I already wished the Griffin was 25mm. Tanks seem too small now since Im so used to the TFV4 as my everyday tank...
I have a Snow Wolf Crimson Mini arriving tomorrow and I think that my Crius will sit on it with a .5-.8 Ohm build and My SW200 Crimson will carry the Griffin...like a Mini Me setup :p

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
interesting quad set up. how does having two different coils work?
I designed(yea right) them so that the tops heat up a tad faster so they all go dry at the same time. My only problem is they are a snug fit in the atty3 so it's a warm vape

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I paid $29 for it with a coupon but they run from 30-40 depending on where you look. I saw that that Velocity RTDA Genny tank, the only problem I have with those is gravity...it pulls down not up and having juice travel upwards doesnt seem like the best way to have it...They should have had a juice chamber above the posts and have it so your wick goes up into it, we already have wicking issues with gravity helping pull juice to the wick...This is the only reason why I didnt purchase it but please report back about how it ends up being when you get it. I think the Griffin or VCMT are peoples best bet at getting the perfect experience out of a RTA with Velocity deck, a true builders RTA. I have high expectations for my soon to arrive 25mm VCMT, my guess its a 25mm version of the Griffin-Which I already wished the Griffin was 25mm. Tanks seem too small now since Im so used to the TFV4 as my everyday tank...
I have a Snow Wolf Crimson Mini arriving tomorrow and I think that my Crius will sit on it with a .5-.8 Ohm build and My SW200 Crimson will carry the Griffin...like a Mini Me setup
Yeah, that bottom juice well is the only thing that made me hesitant to buy it. Then I thought, bah, gonna try it anyway and see how it goes. My guess is that I will need to use long wicks down to the well if possible to stave of the dry hits. Time will tell!

I do want that mutation rta. You could take a nap on that deck!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, that bottom juice well is the only thing that made me hesitant to buy it. Then I thought, bah, gonna try it anyway and see how it goes. My guess is that I will need to use long wicks down to the well if possible to stave of the dry hits. Time will tell!

I do want that mutation rta. You could take a nap on that deck!

My friend owns the Mutation MU Tank and I was interested in it at first then after all the velocity style rta's I didnt see the need for it. Less room for coils to fit and the wicking channels I think are much too big for what you can fit in it and may cause unneeded leaking.

Have you checked out the Gekkvape Advacado? Similar design but looks much higher quality, same people that make the Griffin makes it also..

If you have seen Pbusardo's "which wicking material" video you will understand what I mean by its a poor design for the juice to travel up the wick to the coils. It took almost 12+ hours for his liquid to travel a few inches to soak some paper and that was with the best material...If you get it and have issues I would drill out the holes more so the cotton can be fluffed while in that chamber, it will leak if toppled or sat on its side but will fix the issues, you could cut a good sized oval out and fill it with cotton so the bottom of the deck is always saturated cotton and the cotton that you wick with wont have to pull liquid from very far.....

Last edited:

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just some basic fused claptons. 20160108_190307.jpgTwin 26 core wraped with 30 at 5 wraps sittin at .2 ohms. Flavora great and clouds like crazy. Its lovin 150w

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't decide whether I want to make some aliens or try to make some framed staple coils, so I figured I'd dive in and try some framed staple aliens
6x.5k framed with 26k wrapped in 38n80 no clue on resistance but they should be too low as duals for any batteries. Stacking the ribbon sucked but not as much as using 38 to wrap it. I'll try 36 next which should be easier.
241f2883e80e0ae0757f5fdc5605a6db.jpg
ef45e6ff50b67ba3a4dcb4a0c674a4af.jpg

Any tips on coiling these? I used a vice but they still came out pretty uneven, I'm guessing it's another thing that makes ribbon hard to work with?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Last edited:

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to Steam Engine, 4.5 wraps @2.5mm ID they are ~0.144Ω

Other (or rather, in my case) than a vise, this tool from UD works fantastic on "heavy metal" coils"

ud_coil_jig_2_large.jpg

80-0901-000_4.jpg
Thanks for the steam engine, how'd you plug in all that wire, is the site different than on mobile? And I really should pick one up, your the second person to recommend that to me.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
According to Steam Engine, 4.5 wraps @2.5mm ID they are ~0.144Ω

Other (or rather, in my case) than a vise, this tool from UD works fantastic on "heavy metal" coils"

ud_coil_jig_2_large.jpg

80-0901-000_4.jpg
I have the coil master set but I will probably pick these up as I like that slot versus the tiny hole. I normally just hold the leg and wrap. I originally got the kit just for the different size pins and I got it on a deal for $3 from gearbest with my xcube II.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In the app, when you select parallel for core wires, scroll down and right above where it says "Wrap" there's a plus sign to add additional core wires.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the app, when you select parallel for core wires, scroll down and right above where it says "Wrap" there's a plus sign to add additional core wires.
Lol okay I found it, I can't believe I've missed it all this time... Man I could've used this months ago

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay guys, I'm pretty torn, I want to vape these crappy framed stapled aliens because they took forever but they'll clock in way out of my comfort zone at around .07-.09 for duals. It'll be running on a parallel MOSFET mech box with my 25rs

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay guys, I'm pretty torn, I want to vape these crappy framed stapled aliens because they took forever but they'll clock in way out of my comfort zone at around .07-.09 for duals. It'll be running on a parallel MOSFET mech box with my 25rs

Team single coil then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Team single coil then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to try it, but hate singles with a passion, it messes with my ocd in ways I can't describe, oh and the twisted messes doesn't vape very well with singles for me, that chamber is gigantic. Well see, 50 amps is a hell of a draw for those Samsung's.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[QUOTE="MidwestExpress, post: 869224, member: 30153"[/qoute] I like that slot versus the tiny hole. I normally just hold the leg and wrap

Giggity... Sorry, i'll go now

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I wondered if someone would bite on that. Well played sir!

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Added an extra quarter wrap to each and kept the legs as long as possible, ohm'd out between .08-.09 on my meter and devices- none of which will fire them lol. Only 10 amps above my amp limit but scared the hell out of me firing it. Pleasant vape though, Ill be building more of these.
a9cc354b1fa2d93f01a4cc362437a30d.jpg

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual fused Claptons - STAT! :D

ORDER UP!!! :p
fused Clapton 26!32.JPG

build#007
Fused Clapton-Velocity Clone(new)
26g NiCr/34g A1
7 wraps 3mm
.22 ohms

this stuff is starting to get tricky. there are a few gaps in the wraps that i let go. i'm having issues with 1)swivels not cooperating, 2)keeping everything spinning on center with no wobbling 3),being able to see anything with my old eyes. the first is easily solved with a trip to the angling store, the second with a wire twisting jig that i'm going to make, and finally i'll get a jeweler's headband. i have one of those big magnifying lights, but it doesn't move with my hands, lol.

and expensive!! as quickly that i got into a groove, i'm be probably be hitting the brakes. 50 feet rolls of wire from a B/M is killing me. it was great for getting started, but is far from being cost effective. i'll be placing a short term order with Koiler or Kidneypuncher, and then a long term order with Temco.

and to think, that i haven't even been free of the death darts for a month yet!!! i've traded a habit for an addiction, lol.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some parallel 24ka1 staged with 22n80. Came in at .11ohm on a 3mm bit.
0999cb279a503d27f2df23b7376a9498.jpg

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finally got my 38G N80. Excited to start with some smaller wire. 34 being the stuff I've used for the last while. Probably going to do up some FC's with 28G Ka1 as cores. Hopefully .4-.5 for my Noisy Cricket. Woo hoo!

Matt

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Throw this here to.
24/34 fused clapton.
3mm ID .14ohm
55cd36a716d4ca9cc616e36bc33202b6.jpg

f2b9fe1448594a9c6eb98103e934952f.jpg

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice I'm running the exact same build in mt TM running at .16 ohms. It is amazing at 120 watts.
Running at 130 on my mutation xl and 120 in the atty3 lol yes I like this build alot!

Eta the mutation build has another wrap that's why the extra power

empt3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_20160109_192701314.jpg

Hey all

I'm looking for constructive criticism. I'm new to building and would love to reach the level on display in this thread

26awg kanthal/34k paralleled with 24 nichrome 80

Pic is from my cheap phone sorry

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 37821

Hey all

I'm looking for constructive criticism. I'm new to building and would love to reach the level on display in this thread

26awg kanthal/34k paralleled with 24 nichrome 80

Pic is from my cheap phone sorry
That's very clean!
The only thing I would say would be do 1 less wrap so it fits on the deck easier for you as long as it keeps your resistance high enough for your needs

empt3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's very clean!
The only thing I would say would be do 1 less wrap so it fits on the deck easier for you as long as it keeps your resistance high enough for your needs

Thanks

Yeah I agree about losing a wrap. It may have been easier to center. BTW I was wondering if I put the lower lead in the positive post would that make for a cleaner center? Is there a rule of thumb for which goes where?

1.83 ID .2ish ohm

Last edited:

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
24k boneyard. First attempt at this and first attempt with hammering wire.

3mm at 6 wraps in the Indestructible.

5b5cb30081b40090ddbddc9d9765d135.jpg
5045c37eddf793edbe29dad15abb402e.jpg
3bd9a387e9795de971ed2e5e9bb173c6.jpg

How's she vape? And also. I really like that deck design.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks

Yeah I agree about losing a wrap. It may have been easier to center. BTW I was wondering if I put the lower lead in the positive post would that make for a cleaner center? Is there a rule of thumb for which goes where?

1.83 ID .3ish ohm
As far as a rule of thumb I always say whatever works good for you lol. Some people bend the legs of their coils first. Others like myself just use the screwdriver they wrap on to push the coils toward the center. You'll find what works best for you the more you build.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First attempt at alien wire ever
34a91ba77a3cc7f650348b760e03d3ae.jpg

Looks a bit gnarly... when i managed to work the hot spots out of it, ended up somehow bumping into the control and some plastic melted on it rendering it useless.... gotta get some thinner wire to work with cause this mammer jammer ohmed out real low (.17) and way more wraps than i enjoy... anyway, next time

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors