Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An experiment. It sucked.
It's actually a stitched alien using ribbon wire for the stitch. Interesting looking wire, but it coiled like shit. Oh well, it was worth a shot, anyway.
When you do normal stitches, do you use a lower gauge for the decored?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did you try adding a staged wire for stability. Or weave and or push in 2 solids?
Well, no - it has three 22 gauge core wires, so I don't think that would help.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I MHO I would use a size to not change the look to much but add some strength to allow you to wrap your coil

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When you do normal stitches, do you use a lower gauge for the decored?
Yeah - The ones I've been selling are either 26 or 28 gauge cores, 36 gauge wrap, and either 38 or 40 gauge stitch.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah - The ones I've been selling are either 26 or 28 gauge cores, 36 gauge wrap, and either 38 or 40 gauge stitch.
Okay, that was actually the answer to my other question but, say you're using 28ga for the cores, would you use 28ga for the original clapton or a lower gauge? Does the stitch wire change the process at all from a standard alien?

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
boy, do i wish that i had this problem, lol.
Boy... first time I've had this problem! Ha! Very nice. I just buckled down and bought the 500' spool, as I did with the 34 gauge. Actually when I bought the 34 gauge it was ordered at 250 and they sent me a 500' roll probably on accident... Can't complain there. But after getting the 500' and seeing just how long it lasts me, its a no brainer at around $10-15.

Matt

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Boy... first time I've had this problem! Ha! Very nice. I just buckled down and bought the 500' spool, as I did with the 34 gauge. Actually when I bought the 34 gauge it was ordered at 250 and they sent me a 500' roll probably on accident... Can't complain there. But after getting the 500' and seeing just how long it lasts me, its a no brainer at around $10-15.

Matt
Link please. If you don't mind?

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Link please. If you don't mind?
I ordered off Amazon. However, LV has a coupon code "LV15" or as dawn mentioned a page or two back ohmsweetohm

LV15 - 15% off ohmsweetohm - 17% I think.

http://www.lightningvapes.com/products/nichrome-series-80-resistance-wire?variant=1823874884

Matt

Here is the proper code. Ohmsweetohm. Also k.bee COURTESY OF DAWN

Lightning vapes also has ohmsweetohm for 17% off and k.bee vapes has BEESTRONG as their coupon code I use them both

Sent from the iPad in the basement of vapement

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Even with the Coupon you guys spend too much per spool for me...

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wish, I buy Kanthal D when its in stock from Ebay...much cheaper for 1000ft rolls ($8-$11)
I'll have to pick some up for core wires. Need more 28 g, 24 g, and will need 26 soon too. Got enough 20 to last a lifetime.. As it's not very useful on a series or regulated device...

Matt

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I predict not finding any for a while now

sent from a dumb operated smartphone
Good thing I have 2000ft of almost every wire from 20g-48g...though Im missing 36g but Buying it this way you can buy much more wire and stock up. LV is nice when buying in crazy bulk amounts with the coupon but you would need to spend quite a bit to get it that low per roll

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish, I buy Kanthal D when its in stock from Ebay...much cheaper for 1000ft rolls ($8-$11)
I dont know if his supply is dwindling or what but i have only seen a couple 1000' and 500' rolls lately. Think i might get some lv or kbee for the lower gauges anyways, almost out of 28 . I found a couple other sources for bulk wire too, look up lci_electronics (15822) and/or nikrothal

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
aeb0f31545514ca74b7409dc9a490ff6.jpg
First attempt at stitched alien. 3x24k/33k-clapton/40n-stitch. Really gotta get the stretch perfect with the 33k to get it to lay tight without bunching the cores but i almost got the hang of it

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First time trying staple coil... 3x .8 ribbon / 32n80 staged with 26n80..
It looked better before installing but dotmod petri is a pita for me for some reason plus doesnt help post holes are so small i had it in and pulled it out while tightening a couple times before i got it in... vapes like a freakin dream though... im thinking next time ill add 1 or 2 more ribbons and not stage it... .12ohm
01db0196f42b21079d41dadcc5af07bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also i removed wick cause i used wrong flavor i wanted by accident and got like 2 rips from it with no wick hahaha this thing has changed me.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also i removed wick cause i used wrong flavor i wanted by accident and got like 2 rips from it with no wick hahaha this thing has changed me.

I use my fused claptons without a wick to try juices. Get at least one good hit from them

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good thing I have 2000ft of almost every wire from 20g-48g...though Im missing 36g but Buying it this way you can buy much more wire and stock up. LV is nice when buying in crazy bulk amounts with the coupon but you would need to spend quite a bit to get it that low per roll
See I hate kanthal for wraps though, n80 is alot easier and I like the pretty colors

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See I hate kanthal for wraps though, n80 is alot easier and I like the pretty colors

I like kanthal because of is rigidity. Dont get me wrong, i like nichrome too but i use mostly kanthal. As for color, well...
82220686878aeca13a19b79144b4b498.jpg
d53557191ac2d6c130c2fdfc3112f1a1.jpg
these are kanthal builds, saturation isnt as rich as nichrome but its still there

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like kanthal because of is rigidity. Dont get me wrong, i like nichrome too but i use mostly kanthal. As for color, well...
82220686878aeca13a19b79144b4b498.jpg
d53557191ac2d6c130c2fdfc3112f1a1.jpg
these are kanthal builds, saturation isnt as rich as nichrome but its still there

Those actually colored really nice for kanthal. I used kanthal wraps when I first started but went nichrome and like it better. Personal preference I guess. The n80 wraps tend to heat up a little faster too imo.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those actually colored really nice for kanthal. I used kanthal wraps when I first started but went nichrome and like it better. Personal preference I guess. The n80 wraps tend to heat up a little faster too imo.

Thanks. I'm gonna shift over to nichrome more in the near future and maybe try some stainless too but only when the warden (a.k.a. wife) gives the ok.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I'm gonna shift over to nichrome more in the near future and maybe try some stainless too but only when the warden (a.k.a. wife) gives the ok.

It might make your aliens easier, the softness of the nichrome lets it stretch itself as your wrapping instead of getting the stretch just right.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It might make your aliens easier, the softness of the nichrome lets it stretch itself as your wrapping instead of getting the stretch just right.

Tried 40ga n80 on aliens and that sucks. I need a magnifier like midwest has to help with those. Gonna try with the 38ga kanthal d i got coming and then I'll probably pick up some 36 and 38 n80 a little later. Would rather spend my money on some new mods and attys first tho so i have somewhere to put new builds other than here...
c91ff4ddb2a0a4dc9954fcb5f9f49c2d.jpg

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried 40ga n80 on aliens and that sucks. I need a magnifier like midwest has to help with those. Gonna try with the 38ga kanthal d i got coming and then I'll probably pick up some 36 and 38 n80 a little later. Would rather spend my money on some new mods and attys first tho so i have somewhere to put new builds other than here...
c91ff4ddb2a0a4dc9954fcb5f9f49c2d.jpg

Keep hitting the clearance section at Walmart and stores alike that have office and housewares. I check them every week when I go. Don't find anything most of the time but every once in a while I find some treasures. Like my new bench mount lighted magnifier... only $8 instead of $20.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Does d have a higher chromium content?

Same exact content as A1 except less Aluminum is in it and it has a slightly lower Max Heat Temp.

Resistance/ Temp Rating of Kanthal we can use for vaping....
Kanthal Max. continuous operating temp. Resistivity at 20ºC (68ºF)
Kanthal A-1 (wire) 1400 (2550) 1.45 (872)
Kanthal A (wire) 1350 (2460) 1.39 (836)
Kanthal D (wire) 1300 (2370) 1.35 (812)

Kanthal A1:
Specifications
  • 22% chromium (Cr), 5.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Density: 7.1 g/cubic cm
  • Tensile strength: 680 n/mm²
  • Melting Temperature: 1500°C (2732°F)
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1400°C (2550°F)
  • Density: 0.256 lbs/cubic in.
  • Specific heat capacity @ 68°F: 0.11 Btu/lb°F
Kanthal D:
Specifications
  • 22% chromium (Cr), 4.8% aluminum (Al), Iron (Fe) balance
  • Maximum Operating Temperature: 1300°C (2370°F)
  • Density: 0.262 lbs/cubic in.
Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal D
Kanthal A1 wire has a slightly higher melting temperature and tensile strength and is more commonly found in large industrial applications. Kanthal D is usually used for small home and small-scale applications.
Kanthal D would actually be more suitable for vaping due to the reduced Aluminum Content in it :p

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same exact content as A1 except less Aluminum is in it and it has a slightly lower Max Heat Temp.

Kanthal A1:
Specifications
Kanthal D:
Specifications
Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal D
Kanthal A1 wire has a slightly higher melting temperature and tensile strength and is more commonly found in large industrial applications. Kanthal D is usually used for small home and small-scale applications.
Kanthal D would actually be more suitable for vaping due to the reduced Aluminum Content in it
Well golly. I wasn't expecting all that but the nerd in me thanks you. Once again, professor raymo's on his game

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Kanthal A1:
Specifications
Kanthal D:
Specifications
Kanthal A1 vs. Kanthal D
Kanthal D would actually be more suitable for vaping due to the reduced Aluminum Content in it :p

The 40k that I do all my wraps with is D. I have thought about buying more D on my next go around. I tend to find more of the oddball sizes in D and not in A.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep hitting the clearance section at Walmart and stores alike that have office and housewares. I check them every week when I go. Don't find anything most of the time but every once in a while I find some treasures. Like my new bench mount lighted magnifier... only $8 instead of $20.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
i have a bench mounted big eye and light, and i don't like it.
i can't get the whole piece of wire that i'm wrapping into the field of vision and keep having to stop to adjust the magnifying glass. it really sucks, having to do this when i'm on roll a wrapping roll.

i'm leaning in this direction now......
old school: minimalist: Borg:

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The 40k that I do all my wraps with is D. I have thought about buying more D on my next go around. I tend to find more of the oddball sizes in D and not in A.

why not? what's .0005" between friends??? lol.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have a bench mounted big eye and light, and i don't like it.
i can't get the whole piece of wire that i'm wrapping into the field of vision and keep having to stop to adjust the magnifying glass. it really sucks, having to do this when i'm on roll a wrapping roll.

i'm leaning in this direction now......
old school: minimalist: Borg:

Resistance is futile... ASSIMILATE! You are now part of the collective!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's too easy... Im not even gonna touch that one

Too bad there isn't any P grade wire... then we would be talking about fused claptons in a whole different way! D cores with P wraps... Gig-gi-ty!

I was planning on throwing an easter egg out there with the grades, but I figured it would be easy! HAHA

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@CrazyChef was damn right about these being the best thing to have in your build kit, I bought a 3 pack of some cheap ones for now but I am going to buy the nice Stainless ones later on...
20160111_130718.jpg

This is the one I plan on getting now that I know they are awesome:
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ain't they great?!?!? :D
Yea it didnt pull my cotton away from the coil like most of my other scissors do unless you use your other hand to push the tips together while snipping...I wish I got the metal framed ones instead of the delrin as they can be a little bendy but Im sure the Metal one I posted will be the perfect fix...Even these cheasy ones are extremely sharp guys...be careful, I already about took my finger off playing with them..

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea it didnt pull my cotton away from the coil like most of my other scissors do unless you use your other hand to push the tips together while snipping...I wish I got the metal framed ones instead of the delrin as they can be a little bendy but Im sure the Metal one I posted will be the perfect fix...Even these cheasy ones are extremely sharp guys...be careful, I already about took my finger off playing with them..
Lol thanks for the heads up

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks man ... I need a new pair, my med grade mini's are on their way out.... Thanks for the help

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks man ... I need a new pair, my med grade mini's are on their way out.... Thanks for the help
Its funny you said Med Grade Minis...I went to the Dentist Recently and he opens new tools for every client (Im guessing thats why he charges so much) but when he was about to toss the tools he used to yank 2 wisdom teeth I asked him for them instead....I now have a nice new pair of dental angled forceps and scissors that were used for cutting the sewing thread...I gave those away but I kept the forceps...they are very handy for folding wire and cotton or pinching coils!

VU Sponsors