Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its funny you said Med Grade Minis...I went to the Dentist Recently and he opens new tools for every client (Im guessing thats why he charges so much) but when he was about to toss the tools he used to yank 2 wisdom teeth I asked him for them instead....I now have a nice new pair of dental angled forceps and scissors that were used for cutting the sewing thread...I gave those away but I kept the forceps...they are very handy for folding wire and cotton or pinching coils!
Nice! They the locking forceps?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice! They the locking forceps?

!B1umQ!!EGk~$(KGrHqMOKjEE)Ty4M0-qBMfplSV,lw~~_35.JPG

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm wanting to put together a framed staple Clapton. I've worked with ribbon wire a bit with no real issues but when I first got my hands on a spool of it the framed staple was the first project I wanted to undertake. I understand some moisture between layers greatly helps keeping them together. I am however having issues with the layers being ever so slightly twisted. Maybe 8-20 degrees from end to end in say a foot and a half of wire. Initially I thought this was due to manufacturing processes, then possibly the edges of the blades I'm cutting with. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing? Lightly hammering? Using better snippers? Clamping the layers in a more effective way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I'm wanting to put together a framed staple Clapton. I've worked with ribbon wire a bit with no real issues but when I first got my hands on a spool of it the framed staple was the first project I wanted to undertake. I understand some moisture between layers greatly helps keeping them together. I am however having issues with the layers being ever so slightly twisted. Maybe 8-20 degrees from end to end in say a foot and a half of wire. Initially I thought this was due to manufacturing processes, then possibly the edges of the blades I'm cutting with. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing? Lightly hammering? Using better snippers? Clamping the layers in a more effective way?

Try using squiddoods method using masking tape after juicing the layers

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Can you stretch ribbon like roundwire to straighten it out?

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have and it helped. Tape helped with my last two Clapton builds greatly. I'm about 8" into a fused Clapton variation at home and the tape has been a great help. 10strand 32awg loose cable framed with 26awg claptoned in 40awg...all nichrome. My fiancées sigelei fuchai just got delivered to my work with 6 vtc4's. I've been really enjoying my stingray x with a vtc5 the last couple months(huge improvement from dripping on my ITaste MVP, although it was a learning curve finding its sweet spot). I figured she'd enjoy a mech more than her ITaste SVD but she was more than apprehensive over the safety risks of inexperience. So I gave in and got her the sigelei. I'm building that Clapton wire so she can create indoor weather patterns for the first time. And as far as the staple build goes I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and cut longer portions, maybe they'll lay flatter.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
this is what i use for scissors: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Razor-Scisso...613024?hash=item4d2931d360:g:wkoAAOSw3ydV393A

the advantages of these scissor are: big finger holes, can be sharpen (last pair of scissors you'll need to buy), will cut 22g easily (at the throat), and most importantly SERRATED. the serrations will grab your cotton and cut it in place. no more odd angled cuts, less trimming required.

i've re purposed my fly tying scissors now for coil building. the set that i have are 10 yrs old, and have been sharpened once.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Still cannot get a build to produce anything worth vaping in my crown RBA. About out of options and contemplating giving up on it for good. It's a shame really, I love tanks for out and about.

Matt

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Still cannot get a build to produce anything worth vaping in my crown RBA. About out of options and contemplating giving up on it for good. It's a shame really, I love tanks for out and about.

Matt
Buy a Griffin, VCMT or a Ohmega Alpha...These are the only tanks worth keeping (TFV4 also holds a reliability retainer).
I love my Griffin, it makes all other tanks in 22mm eat shit and does so while holding a pimp cane saying "Where muh bitchez"...
VCMT 25mm is king of this size for the same reason.
VCMT and Ohmega Alpha in 30mm are King of Kings, you wont get a bigger build deck in a tank and can hold a metric fuck ton of juice, the Alpha is cheap also ($30).
Now buy one of your select size and be done with the search in tanks/rtas, Ive done it for everyone here already.

The Griffin pushing 2x22K/42N80 5 Wraps with 3mm Inner Diameter with Room to spare, Keep in mind this is just a 22mm RTA:
20160108_122855.jpg 20160108_150258.jpg

I love my new Mini Me BTW...
TFV4s and I just paid someone for the TFV4 Micro Tank....Too bad theres no Micro Wolf though...
20160111_125132.jpg 20160111_125241.jpg

Last edited:

kennykoils

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started rebuilding a little over a month ago, loving it. Here's a few of my builds. Photos are off my Instagram page give it a follow @yoelrollscoal

First is a quad coil, ni80 26awg, 8 wraps around 7/64 bit, metered at .21

Second is 26ga ni80 claptoned with 30ga kanthal, wrapped parallel to triple twisted and polished 30ga kanthal, 6 wraps at 3mm .5 ohm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 25

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Matt
I have one that I didn't take a pic of because I didn't think it would work. I used 28 gauge 420 ss and wrapped at 4 mm gapped at 4 or 5 wraps I think and sat it vertical. That is the only build I have gotten to work and have good flavor and air flow... For an RBA that is.

I ran it in tc mode. I ended up just going back to the prefab coils in tc mode. That works best for me. Wish I had my $8 back for the RBA. I also drilled the juice holes out on the RBA adding a 3mm hole connected to the top of what they call juice inlets. No more dry hits after that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gearbest? Oh well. You got my hopes up.

I know it... Just thought I would toss it out there. Normally by the time!e you get your vape mail from them, the item is on the low price but local. I didn't see if that was an international or us warehouse deal or not. Their us warehouse is very limited on what they have for vape gear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just pay the damn Ebay man the $38 and get it in three days or buy a Ohmega Alpha 30mm for $30
Sometimes saving money isnt really worth the savings..time is miserable to watch pass by and I would rather pay the extra buck or 2 to get it much faster/

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
64da470fa9ffd1a326093309beca1b32.jpg
Woohoo! What do i build first?

Love the All black spools that wire comes in, no stickers that stick when peeling them off and use the spools for RDA stands when empty :D

Fused Claptons, Staple Build, Could Twist the 38 on itself and us that to fused wire...

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Love the All black spools that wire comes in, no stickers that stick when peeling them off and use the spools for RDA stands when empty :D

Fused Claptons, Staple Build, Could Twist the 38 on itself and us that to fused wire...
Gotta make some aliens for a buddy that'll fit in a tobh... Is that even possible?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One more coil issue solved:
Had a road trip, so I finally tested the 3mm ID coil in the Subtank Mini. More cotton = more juice = no more dry hits.
Also:
Started hammering wire last night. Made a micro titanium "spoon" for oiling clock pivots. Only took 10 minutes. Need to make a second/better version for the close-up pic. [Edit: I know it's not a coil, but you guys gave me the idea to pick up the hammer.]

Quick question: What's your preference for working with Kanthal?
1. Heat it before working with it.
2. Heat it only after it's in the atty.
3. It makes no difference.

With pre-heating, I noticed the Kanthal relaxes a bit, and might not break as easily when tightening the post screws. No clue.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
351d4f139c80d93cf7ae9b9e49d2ffae.jpg
smallest aliens ive built to date. 3x30k-a1/38k-d 5 wrap 1.5mm(ish) id. Almost positive these wont fit in my buddys tobh (he doesn't wanna drill out the post holes at all) so i guess ill have to find something else to do with these... Not the cleanest build but those two coils were one complete piece before i cut it in half so im already liking the 38ga so far

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One more coil issue solved:
Had a road trip, so I finally tested the 3mm ID coil in the Subtank Mini. More cotton = more juice = no more dry hits.
i rebuilt my Mini with a Clapton (26N80/34K, 5WR3mm). as you pointed out, wicking is crucial with big coils in small spaces. Scottish Roll, and Cotton Bacon has me cruising at 55W all day baby i'll never put a stock coil in my tank again.

i showed my wife the little piggy tail coil that came with the tank, and she just chuckled.

Last edited:

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i took a big bite tonight, and choked.
i tried a Framed Staple (10*.5mm*.1mmK/34K) what a humbling experience that was! it had gappy wraps, and bendy (not crossed cores.

when i finally went to wrap in into a coil, i pull too hard and the wire slipped free from my vise. does anyone want 6" of F/S spring? total garbage and in the the coil coffin it went.

build #010 will never be fired. it will be listed as just a wire build only. it did though provide me with a huge amount of experience for the next time that i give it a go.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i took a big bite tonight, and choked.
i tried a Framed Staple (10*.5mm*.1mmK/34K) what a humbling experience that was! it had gappy wraps, and bendy (not crossed cores.

when i finally went to wrap in into a coil, i pull too hard and the wire slipped free from my vise. does anyone want 6" of F/S spring? total garbage and in the the coil coffin it went.

build #010 will never be fired. it will be listed as just a wire build only. it did though provide me with a huge amount of experience for the next time that i give it a go.
Take a pair of dull cutters and squeeze them pretty hard and it will fuse the Outer Wrap to the Core wire and then bend the End a bit to make it more stable. I learned this with regular claptons since they like to decore or pull loose while wrapping a coil.

I was thinking when my new wire comes in Ill try a new CRAZY build in my Griffin (it has more room between the posts then the actual RDA!). I dont think I will do a staple since Ive been pretty stressed out at home but I may do something else effective and big...Slightly crazy

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tried an alien tonight. I have trouble getting my clapton off the core? Not sure what the trick is. Ended up backing it off with the drill in reverse.

Anyways. After I did that I tried. Was definitely not pretty. More to come. I'm going to nail this. Anyone have tips getting the original clapton off the core?

Anyways settled on old faithful 26/38 FCs.

d1bbb7ea1b099fd801941ae9370d4f87.jpg

Matt

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried an alien tonight. I have trouble getting my clapton off the core? Not sure what the trick is. Ended up backing it off with the drill in reverse.

Anyways. After I did that I tried. Was definitely not pretty. More to come. I'm going to nail this. Anyone have tips getting the original clapton off the core?

Matt
I had trouble at first, just try and make sure your core is perfectly straight and whatever bad/overlapping wraps you have then it'll slide right off.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Matt
I always back it off in reverse. Slides off every time and it puts your drill in the proper direction for wraping your alien. Also, make sure the ends of your core wire are tapered. When you straighten your wire spin the cut end of the wire in a pair of pliers with gentle pressure so it still spins but also gets slight resistance and that'll take down any barbs from cutting that could catch the wraps of your clapton when decoring.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just spin mine in reverse. As soon as you see the waves start to form, it's ready. Don't continue to spin at all after that, or you risk distorting your Clapton. With a little practice, you'll be able to judge when the waves will form and stop the drill just a little bit before they form. Works like a charm every time for me.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just spin mine in reverse. As soon as you see the waves start to form, it's ready. Don't continue to spin at all after that, or you risk distorting your Clapton. With a little practice, you'll be able to judge when the waves will form and stop the drill just a little bit before they form. Works like a charm every time for me.

Do you happen to have a video of you building some aliens? If not, which of the many videos out there are best to watch for that?

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sidenote, when I was hammering wire out for the Boneyard coil and some just to see if I could make some ribbon wire. When I came upstairs the wife asked me what the high toned hammering was about. After I explained... she told me to just go out and buy ribbon wire. I told her it isn't cheap for how much you get. She said, "I don't care, just buy it!" Now how to tell her I am making rebuildable tanks so that she says I can just buy whatever tanks I want! HAHA

Yay for green lights!

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try it in single coil I'm the el cobron
aed27ddd42423cd55f067f4608309ba6.jpg

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update on the wire I was building and the fiancées reaction to it on her new sigelei...first chuff had an expression of utter reverence painted across her face. From simple micro coils on the SVD, she's movin on uuup, to the east siiide.
3762812eb00c9cf776b4a805fa0e3e5a.jpg
570d45e13f6ae01decee3721d95ffd2d.jpg
e624ca3784d73f457a016a1f3201511d.jpg
54ab1bdfb97bc9de1ba2ec412f3b635e.jpg
14d1bae5e5749377e789358c5e05a16a.jpg
e8089ea7e9adc8083dda53f39a7689ca.jpg

The pair ended up coming out to .08.
She's loving it like a necropheliac with a soft spot for animals locked in a pet cemetery...

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Update on the wire I was building and the fiancées reaction to it on her new sigelei...first chuff had an expression of utter reverence painted across her face. From simple micro coils on the SVD, she's movin on uuup, to the east siiide.
3762812eb00c9cf776b4a805fa0e3e5a.jpg
570d45e13f6ae01decee3721d95ffd2d.jpg
e624ca3784d73f457a016a1f3201511d.jpg
54ab1bdfb97bc9de1ba2ec412f3b635e.jpg
14d1bae5e5749377e789358c5e05a16a.jpg
e8089ea7e9adc8083dda53f39a7689ca.jpg

The pair ended up coming out to .08.
She's loving it like a necropheliac with a soft spot for animals locked in a pet cemetery...

Very nice!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And I heard M.Terk did one I think. I'll look for it.

Matt

Here's M.Terks. also Twisted Messes (Keith) did one too. Haven't watched these.

Didn't see Chef post it. Oops. Anyway:)

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

First off, that's one of the best analogies ever! Second, you're messing up big time going straight from simple to extravagant. This sets the bar; you cant go back to inferior coils after this and now you have your work cut out for you to maintain this standard of build that she's expecting. Poor guy...

Just foolin with ya! Nice build

VU Sponsors