itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What should I replace this with?
02ef0c2924d836ccada0b8507a75ac4b.jpg

thinking either the same thing (24/34fused clapton)or going framed staple. What one brings better flavor?

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sidenote, when I was hammering wire out for the Boneyard coil and some just to see if I could make some ribbon wire. When I came upstairs the wife asked me what the high toned hammering was about. After I explained... she told me to just go out and buy ribbon wire. I told her it isn't cheap for how much you get. She said, "I don't care, just buy it!" Now how to tell her I am making rebuildable tanks so that she says I can just buy whatever tanks I want! HAHA

Yay for green lights!
i've been give the green light for 250-500' spools of wire,,,,,, all gauges.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Framed staple has much better flavor.
You are a ass for this man lol
7f6e4638888eb0f1e36010ff7a41cb1d.jpg

i've just spent the past 1/2 hour getting my core wires setup. (adding the 26N80 outer frame will help a lot, lol). tape, lots of tape. i'm going to walk the dog, and then it'll be time give it all a spin.
I used 36 to hold my cores together and then used 32 to hold each piece of 26 on the sides perfectly before i started to fuse it all together. Took about an inch of wire before I got it going perfect and ended up with
0844c9ff1371c4e44cc3b310f15b6e34.jpg
once my lazy ass gets then installed will post pictures

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had my lv code for 20% so I ordered 100' of .4 nichrome ribbon. Can't wait to get that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
It's a holy bitch to work with (for me) because it's kinda small. Almost like 28-30 ga width but the flavor on my builds with it has been a holy shit experience

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a holy bitch to work with (for me) because it's kinda small. Almost like 28-30 ga width but the flavor on my builds with it has been a holy shit experience

It is supposed to be equivalent to 32 gauge round wire so I'm sure it will be a pain. I have been watching YouTube videos on truck to working with it. That is also why I got 100'. Plenty to learn with.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally put these 26k/40n80 fc's in the velocity. My batteries may not be fans but i am. 6 wraps 2.3mm id .14ohms @100 watts and im getting a quite pleasurable vape. Less vapor than the 28/40's but flavor is strong and heat is med-low
89b99ff5eed2ca589d35233bfc0bd713.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
That is what my goto fc's are. 26n80 cores wrapped in 40k... Love them!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Case and point. 5x.4 cores 26k frames and 32n80 outer wrap. .11ohm
4fbb247005639d5c979afd8f9508cdb1.jpg

11695ba7047bc31056b4145eed7996f4.jpg
1112d87f044fb3e4455f35c4a26fc2eb.jpg

That is about the build I'm going to do when I get my ribbon. 4 or 5 .4 n80 cores, framed in 26n80 and wrapped in 40k D. NOM

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is about the build I'm going to do when I get my ribbon. 4 or 5 .4 n80 cores, framed in 26n80 and wrapped in 40k D. NOM

I can't use really small wire 36 is the smallest I've used in fused claptons and that was a..... fun experience

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't use really small wire 36 is the smallest I've used in fused claptons and that was a..... fun experience

It took a couple tries to get used to the small wire but once I did, it is easy to cruise down the line with it!

kickboxerwalker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I spent 3 hours last night trying to make an alien coil and stapled alien coil. I used at least 100' of kanthal of varying gauges and all I successfully got out of it was a 3" piece of half-ass alien. Turns out my swivels were not spinning. Have to get new ones.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 15

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like to tell you guys deals on different wires but for 26g of 430 SS 1200' ft it was a little less than 20$

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, @Dawn0810, I can use the 28g SS430 in TC? I have the RX200 and a Cuboid, which both say 316, but 430 should be okay right?

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It took a couple tries to get used to the small wire but once I did, it is easy to cruise down the line with it!

tips that seem to work for me with finer gauges:

-slow and steady wins the race.
-put it down and walk away for a bit if you have to.
-stop and thoroughly analyze what techniques work for you and more importantly what DOESN'T work for you. and why.
-magnification and good lighting.
-it is better to cut your teeth on a couple of cm of wire for a new pattern and use it as a training aid, then to sweating bullets trying to do a run of 20 cm only to throw it in the garbage.

if you are having trouble with a pattern, drop one gauge to help find the source of the issue to get your comfort level back.

Last edited:

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
-slow and steady wins the race.
-put it down and walk away for a bit if you have to.
This is exactly what I did to make my first successful alien. I got all the prep work done, took a 5 minute break, then slowly applied the alien wire to the cores. With practice, you'll eventually be able to go faster.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, @Dawn0810, I can use the 28g SS430 in TC? I have the RX200 and a Cuboid, which both say 316, but 430 should be okay right?
Coefficient for 430 is .00138.

Coefficient for 316 is .00092

All I have is 430 and I use it in tc all the time. Also have some fc's in my aromamizer that is 430 Ss wrapped in 40k D and they are rocking out in tc mode.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes it should be there's just a slight difference between the two if I'm not mistaken 430 is the one they claim as nickel free so it's like 98% nickel free but I'm happy at what I found because all I had to choose from was 28 or 20 no gauges in between the stuff I ordered yesterday is 26 gauge. I think they say to use 316 because it's the most commonly found

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I spent 3 hours last night trying to make an alien coil and stapled alien coil. I used at least 100' of kanthal of varying gauges and all I successfully got out of it was a 3" piece of half-ass alien. Turns out my swivels were not spinning. Have to get new ones.

Do you have a ball bearing swivel? If not I highly recommend it. A little spritz of silicone lube or wd40 and it'll spin like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
nice work :)
how do you find working with S/S compared to K or N80?
Honestly I'm being 100% serious there really isn't a comparison because SS is a cleaner more intense flavor with great clouds but with even that set aside SS is the most versatile wire because it can be run in TC or power mode I'd have to say SS is my favorite even above Titanium

Sent from the iPad in the basement of vapement

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive heard of people doing SS claptons with the core being SS and the outer wire being ni80 I mean there's so many variations and as long as we keep the safety parameters in mind the sky is kind of the limit I bet when they started to vape no way did they envision it would turn into this and these are why I love these forums I wouldn't be able to do half the things I can do now if it wasn't for them esp this one for the building aspect.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive heard of people doing SS claptons with the core being SS and the outer wire being ni80 I mean there's so many variations and as long as we keep the safety parameters in mind the sky is kind of the limit I bet when they started to vape no way did they envision it would turn into this and these are why I love these forums I wouldn't be able to do half the things I can do now if it wasn't for them esp this one for the building aspect.

I have been wrapping my ss cores in 40k and they have been working very good. Great flavor!

Biggest thing I noticed different that with kanthal and nichrome is that ss is very springy.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
got it. after a couple of false starts, i was able to get a firing Framed Staple coil (single). this build didn't come with it's trepidation's and pitfalls. this was the build that i was waiting for, the one that i wouldn't be able to flash. on my first attempt, i didn't put in a frame and had my initial setup all backwards.. ten strands of .5x.1 without a frame is a nasty build, lol! i went back to YouTube and found my error.

on the second attempt i had it all working: 26N80/.5x.1K/34K in the drill on center and humming along. Pink Flyod's-The Wall was playing in the background.......and then i ran out of wrap wire 5cm in. i shit you not. VapoWire has a great little box and spool, but are not for heavy wrappers. thet'll be great for a travel kit, but i will not be doing anymore heavy wrapping until i get an order from LV. i hit reverse and off come the wrap wire.

Now i'm pissed. grab a spool of 32K (after checking that there was enough for the job), cranked up some Linken Park,,,,,, and nailed it. 32 feels like working with A/C cable now, lol.

after dropping a wrap to get everything to fit, burning one coil on a short, i ended up with this:

Framed Staple001.JPG

build#016
Velocity RDA
Framed Staple
2x26N80/6x.5K/32K
5wr/3mm
.15 ohms

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first ever attempt at a staple coil.
20160113_164930.jpg Not horible i think. Not as pretty as some thst have built them but the only real issue on it is the wrapping. I just need more practice. It vapes nice. I put it in my torque atty

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My first ever attempt at a staple coil.
View attachment 38081 Not horible i think. Not as pretty as some thst have built them but the only real issue on it is the wrapping. I just need more practice. It vapes nice. I put it in my torque atty

my hat off to you on your first attempt! not an easy build at all.

having a solid wire foundation to build on, with everything spinning freely, and spinning inline are the key starting points for wrapping especially for finer gauges and more complex foundations. failing on any will just make a tougher job tougher. finding your wrapping wire hand technique is more of a personal decision. three areas that are key for me are hand position, wire tension, and wire guiding being the key areas of focus.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You guys have inspired me. Going to try the alien again today. Have myself a day off but it's time.

Matt

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
my hat off to you on your first attempt! not an easy build at all.

having a solid wire foundation to build on, with everything spinning freely, and spinning inline are the key starting points for wrapping especially for finer gauges and more complex foundations. failing on any will just make a tougher job tougher. finding your wrapping wire hand technique is more of a personal decision. three areas that are key for me are hand position, wire tension, and wire guiding being the key areas of focus.
Yea it took awhile. Longest build to date. But now i got the bassic idea and it vapes alright. When i try my hand at it again it will be a little easier. Now i just need some more flat ribbon.

Also just made some really intresting wire. 2 strands of twisted 28 twisted with a strand of 22. Now i just need a atty to put it in

kickboxerwalker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a ball bearing swivel? If not I highly recommend it. A little spritz of silicone lube or wd40 and it'll spin like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i did. the good heavy duty ones from my local outdoors shop. they didnt last long though. no matter. i went to a different store and picked up a different brand of BB swivels. 2 sets of 3 so i will have spares when the first set brakes. i spent my afternoon working on staple and framed staple coils. nearly emptied my new spool of 36g. but i finally got a set to come out fairly good... but i dont like them. they get too hot too quickly and i cant get the resistance high enough to go duel on my sigelei 150. stil fun to build though. and i still have to try that stapled framed alien build. thats gonna be tough because i still cant get the alien build right. heres a couple pics of my accomplishments so far.

Attachments

• 20160113_155234359_iOS.jpg
    20160113_155234359_iOS.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20160113_155221081_iOS.jpg
    20160113_155221081_iOS.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160113_212918014_iOS.jpg
    20160113_212918014_iOS.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160113_204835246_iOS.jpg
    20160113_204835246_iOS.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20160113_230015809_iOS.jpg
    20160113_230015809_iOS.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 29

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
2 strands of 28 twisted x2 then twisted with a strand of 22. 20160113_185458.jpgWish i could tell you how it vapes but the atty i have it on wont read on my box :mad:

EndDetour

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i did. the good heavy duty ones from my local outdoors shop. they didnt last long though. no matter. i went to a different store and picked up a different brand of BB swivels. 2 sets of 3 so i will have spares when the first set brakes. i spent my afternoon working on staple and framed staple coils. nearly emptied my new spool of 36g. but i finally got a set to come out fairly good... but i dont like them. they get too hot too quickly and i cant get the resistance high enough to go duel on my sigelei 150. stil fun to build though. and i still have to try that stapled framed alien build. thats gonna be tough because i still cant get the alien build right. heres a couple pics of my accomplishments so far.

The staple build is my next undertaking. What did you use for your core to make it come out so low?

-every animal has an adequate amount of gray matter in its cranium to tan and preserve its own hide-

kickboxerwalker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used 6 0.8mm kanthal ribbon core, 2 26g kanthal frame and 36g kanthal Clapton. Came out to about 0.16 ohms.

VU Sponsors