VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

RIP TRIPPER is a bit of an enigma in the vaping community. He is extremely popular and commands the largest Youtube following - yet talks to no one. Rumors started saying he didn't even vape and this was all show. A new set of more serious allegations have been broken wide open by Twisted420 and picked up by V4P3R.

Is Rip Tripper demanding payment to do his reviews?

If you know me - you know I'm for making as much money as you possibly can in this industry. It's the American way and I'm all for it. What I am against is lying about it. If you take money from vendors for reviews or endorsements but say you don't - that's being dishonest. That is the charge being leveled by Twisted420.

Twisted420 a reviewer and host on Vaping Underground Live blew up the Rip Tripper story on Reddit with screenshots and promises to come out with a new video with more explosive information.
V4P3R an up and coming blogger picked up the story and added a other screenshots and information on the topic.

Most websites and reviewers that make money should have something called a sponsor disclosure. This is a transparency statement that lays everything on the table for your followers. In some cases its an actual FTC requirement. Especially if you endorse a product and get paid - its required by law. Ours is posted in the upper right hand corner of this site and can also be found here.

IF THIS IS TRUE:

Even if the news is terrible - honesty is the best policy with our community. They forgive those that come clean and in time you can gain their trust back. If you lie and hide - it will only hurt you. Vapers love to dig and find the truth - I know that first hand.

THE REDDIT POST: >> HERE <<

THE V4P3R POST: >> HERE <<

k8dTbcGL-ko

Click here to get more information on this deal....

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, wait... He gets asked to promote an APPLICATION (not a 'product to review') at launch, says he'll do it for some cash JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT, and that somehow turns into 'he gets paid to review everything'??

Really?

@VaporJoes - I have a new Android ap and I want you to promote it on this site, on your blog, and on VU Live. And I want you to do that for free. If you do NOT do it for free, I will post edited screen grabs showing that you are a shrill.. Deal? ;)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, wait... He gets asked to promote an APPLICATION (not a 'product') at launch, says he'll do it for some cash JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT, and that somehow turns into 'he gets paid to review everything'??

Really?

@VaporJoes - I have a new Android ap and I want you to promote it on this site, on your blog, and on VU Live. And I want you to do that for free. If you do NOT do it for free, I will post edited screen grabs showing that you are a shrill.. Deal? ;)
If it was just this then it would be a non issue.
But it is the shake down of vendors for positive reviews.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Surely Twisted420 must have 100% irrefutable proof that Rip is getting paid for vaping equipment reviews (other than keeping the product)? If he doesn't, he's the one who is going to feel the backlash from the vaping community. At the moment this looks like people are trying to tarnish Rip Trippers reputation just because he's popular, different and he's not 'one of us'.

As to the rumours that his reviews are all show? Of course they are, that why he's got so many subscribers. Do you really think the way he acts in his videos is how he acts in real life? What do you mean he doesn't vape? How could he get all those whacky coils working if he doesn't vape? This whole thing stinks of jealousy, there better be 100%, dead to rights proof that Rip gets paid for product reviews, or the backlash will be massive.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Actually if he is doing this it doesn't matter what we think. Its against the law not to disclose that your endorsing a product or service for payment. Its an FTC requirement. This is why all those infomercials say "paid actor", etc. I was walking the line with Vaporjoes and put up a transparency statement anyway to cover all my basis.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
So, wait... He gets asked to promote an APPLICATION (not a 'product to review') at launch, says he'll do it for some cash JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES TO PROMOTE A PRODUCT, and that somehow turns into 'he gets paid to review everything'??

Really?

Hey @Midniteoyl, I have a new Android app and I want you to promote it on this site, on your blog, and on VU Live. And I want you to do that for free. Meanwhile...

Go ahead and post a rant on your YouTube channel about how you don't get paid to do any of this, while seeking compensation on the down low. Go ahead and tell your detractors: "YOU DON'T KNOW SHEEEEEIT!" and how you do all of this out of the kindness of your heart. Please, tell me how selfless you are, but yet you won't take the time to answer questions from fans like every other reviewer out there. Please, tell me how you don't attend vape meets or really acknowledge anyone else in the community.

There is another side to this that you're completely ignoring, and that's the law.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually if he is doing this it doesn't matter what we think its actually against the law not to disclose that your endorsing a product or service without saying so. Its an FTC requirement. This is why all those infomercials say "paid actor", etc. I was walking the line with Vaporjoes and put up a transparency statement anyway to cover all my basis.
I see your point, Joe, but the name of the company hasn't even been named. Where's the proof he's doing anything illegal? What app is he promoting? Even the thread at Reddit is tagged with the word SPECULATION. I don't mind good expository writing but when it's all just based on tiny threads of nothing, come on, you're better than that. Have you invited Rip on the show at least so that he can defend himself from this thin line of reasoning?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey @Midniteoyl, I have a new Android app and I want you to promote it on this site, on your blog, and on VU Live. And I want you to do that for free. Meanwhile...

Go ahead and post a rant on your YouTube channel about how you don't get paid to do any of this, while seeking compensation on the down low. Go ahead and tell your detractors: "YOU DON'T KNOW SHEEEEEIT!" and how you do all of this out of the kindness of your heart. Please, tell me how selfless you are, but yet you won't take the time to answer questions from fans like every other reviewer out there. Please, tell me how you don't attend vape meets or really acknowledge anyone else in the community.

There is another side to this that you're completely ignoring, and that's the law.

BOLDED - Only if its true... That has yet to be shown or proven.

The rest is 'so what'? So he doesnt talk to people.. So what? That proves nothing.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually if he is doing this it doesn't matter what we think. Its against the law not to disclose that your endorsing a product or service for payment. Its an FTC requirement. This is why all those infomercials say "paid actor", etc. I was walking the line with Vaporjoes and put up a transparency statement anyway to cover all my basis.
Again, hasnt been shown to be true. There is only one 'he wanted $$$' post outside of the wanting 2% for promoting an app, and possibly being part of the 'Advising Board'. Meanwhile, there are several posts on reddit from vendors saying the exact oppisite. Also, doesnt he say 'I received this XXX for purposes of review' pretty much all the time? Even at the end he always does the 'Would I have bought this XXX if i didnt receive it free?' question..

Circumstantial evidence is circumstantial.

Now, what about my offer? :)

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Please, tell me how you don't attend vape meets or really acknowledge anyone else in the community.

And this is what it really comes down to. Because he decides to spend his personal time with his family rather than tripping all over the place getting his head in every vape convention video on the planet, he must be no good. The amount of time and effort he's put into his vape tutorials must be huge, the amount people he's helped must be enormous, but for some people this just isn't enough. He's got to be part of 'the community' or we're going to tear him to pieces. Disgraceful.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to withhold any personal judgement until the facts are in. Unfortunately, I don't think the pay for review situation is uncommon. The temptation is there, the $$ are there by manufacturers who are fighting in an ultra competitive market. For a small mod maker, or atty maker, a negative review and a bad response from the owner(s) will tank the mod or atty in the market place. Look at what happened to Amerivape.

With that said, Twisted420 is going out on a limb big time. He's better be damn straight with the facts, or he will trash his own image beyond repair. We've got Todd, who pumps out the reviews at an incredible pace, and then Busardo who does marathon reviews, travels to China, and whatnot.

I tend to read and watch reviews by people who spend their money on a mod or atty and present the pro's and con's of the product. With reviewers who get product to review sent to them free of charge, there is always the question in my mind on how that might affect the review. If a reviewer bashes a number of products in a row, the free shipments stop. That's the reality of the situation. Companies are using the reviewers as free or low cost advertising to get their product seen by a larger section of the vaping public. Those same companies won't chance negative reviews by reviewer who routinely presents negative reviews. Busardo reviewed the Clopor Mini, gave it a thumbs up and then when the mods hit the market, reports of them shorting out and melting crashed ashore like a tsunami.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Twisted420 is going out on a limb big time.
He isn't the only one.

Matt from Suck My Mod also posted in the Reddit thread, confirming these allegations. He said they have "held their tongues".

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was paid to review an energy drink once. I said it tasted like shit that fermented in a sewer for a month. I think I worded it a little better though. Still got paid. National Enquirer bullshit going on here. I do not care for Rip's video's. Not because he's paid or not paid, I just do not care for his style. I will say twisted has said some nice things on what I consider leaky, gurgling over priced crap. I dunno, all this childish stuff over something to keep you from smoking. I can see people who never smoked and get into this just for cloud chasing or some vape blog but other than that....

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He isn't the only one.

Matt from Suck My Mod also posted in the Reddit thread, confirming these allegations. He said they have "held their tongues".

So we've got 2 vape reviewers going after the vape reviewer with the most subscribers on the planet? Sorry, you'll need more than that, you'll need a truck load more than that.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Methinks V4P3R needs to learn the definition of what "confirming" something means.
confirm [kuh n-furm]
verb (used with object)
1. to establish the truth, accuracy, validity, or genuineness of; corroborate; verify: "This report confirms my suspicions."
2. to acknowledge with definite assurance: "Did the hotel confirm our room reservation?"

@vaperature is a whiny baby.

CONFIRMED.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
confirm [kuh n-furm]
verb (used with object)
1. to establish the truth, accuracy, validity, or genuineness of; corroborate; verify: "This report confirms my suspicions."
2. to acknowledge with definite assurance: "Did the hotel confirm our room reservation?"

CONFIRMED.
I thought I was on your ignore list.

Thanks for the definition of confirm, now please explain for us how Suck My Mod "established the truth" of anything.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Oh, you are on my ignore list. I made an exception for these two replies, and then back you go.

As I said before, there is more information. You'll just have to wait to read it on my blog like everyone else. Yanno, that way you can update your site after the fact, as usual.

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never seen an industry create as much scamming and drama as vaping does. It is like they have come out of the woodwork and gravitated to the vaping community.

I used to be highly involved with herpetology and the vaping community is trying quickly to mimic the back stabbing, scamming and drama that it is known for.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, you are on my ignore list. I made an exception for these two replies, and then back you go.

As I said before, there is more information. You'll just have to wait to read it on my blog like everyone else. Yanno, that way you can update your site after the fact, as usual.
Lol, yes I will update my site if new information comes to light, but I'll get the info the same place you do, from Reddit, goof ball. I knew you had nothing. Learn the definition of "confirm" because it doesn't mean two people make similar, unfounded accusations.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
confirm [kuh n-furm]
verb (used with object)

CONFIRMED.
Confirm means 'proof' or 'fact' not 'I agree with him'.. Unless, of course, you are 'confirming' that you agree with him :)

Besides, Matt and Twisted are the best of buds ;)

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Besides, Matt and Twisted are the best of buds ;)
Kind of like you and the resident forum troll? I mean, you're his Yes Man chiming in with your confirmation wherever he replies.

Pretty much renders your own statements irrelevant by default.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kind of like you and the resident forum troll? I mean, you're his Yes Man chiming in with your confirmation wherever he replies.

Hahahahha! I have many 'acquaintances' here on the these boards, but to call me he's 'yes man' means you dont actually know anything, kinda like about this current 'witch hunt'... We just happen to agree in this matter about you ;)

LMAO!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hahahahha! I have many 'acquaintances' here on the these boards, but to call me he's 'yes man' means you dont actually know anything, kinda like about this current 'witch hunt'... We just happen to agree in this matter about you ;)

LMAO!
I know, we disagree on a lot, don't we. That's cool. I won't put you on my ignore list because of it. :D

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It makes @V4P3R eMAG a brown noser trying to ride the coattails in order to rocket is vape famous'ness to heights otherwise not deserved..
Lol, I was going to joke about how he was going to thank us now for giving him "hits" but he beat me to it.

You have entered the twilight zone of V4P3R, the center of the universe. He's so cool he even got to skip the being a newbie part and just propelled himself into being the holy authority on vaping. Now kiss his ring.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, btw:

Ad Hominem ... You need a new bag of tricks :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think the biggest issue is integrity. He has said all along he doesn't get paid and whatnot. But if he actually is and is lying about it, that creates another issue. Personally I could give two shits less what he does and what he gets paid for.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think the biggest issue is integrity. He has said all along he doesn't get paid and whatnot. But if he actually is and is lying about it, that creates another issue. Personally I could give two shits less what he does and what he gets paid for.
Accepting a spot on an advisory board in exchange for a share in the company isn't "getting paid" for doing a review. It's standard business practice.

Adam the Aussie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Totally agree, if he's getting paid cash to review vaping products and doesn't disclose this up front, he's doing the wrong thing and will pay a price for it.

However I'm a long way from being convinced this is actually happening.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In reality, here is what will or SHOULD happen.

Twisted has claimed he has absolute proof Rip is taking cash for reviews. Matt from SMM is backing him up. Claiming he has been "biting his tounge".

I don't know if Rip IS taking money, and making some scratch on partnering with an app, is NO big fucking deal, IMO. So long as the dude would say he IS compensated to promote the app (which isn't happening yet!).

So if Rip is being dirty and underhanded, he certainly WILL deserve a public flogging and shunning. If the truth is Rip is being played for a fool by these two fellow reviewers, then it will turn onto the both of them. Quite a stupid gamble if they are just talking shit.

But if I were to say what I think of it at this point, if they don't have proof, they would HAVE to be completely STUPID and INSANE to make claims they can't back up. This will KILL their following and throw much rage and hate their direction. No doubts that these reviewers are getting more than a free mod or atty to review. Their reviews have MUCH marketing power for these companies.

Maybe these reviewers are NOT getting more than the free mods or atties, and if they aren't, they're NUTS. Takes a lot of time to make these reviews. Takes expensive equipment and editing programs to make a good looking review. Who the FUCK wants to do that for fucking free? Especially to deal with some of the complete morons that follow them around trying to find fault with every god damn thing they do?

P.S. If Matt's hot chick Vee would show us more titties, I would greatly appreciate it. ;) I can sent her pics of MY full head of hair, that I don't have to hide under a hat. :)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Twisted has claimed he has absolute proof Rip is taking cash for reviews. Matt from SMM is backing him up. Claiming he has been "biting his tounge".

I don't know if Rip IS taking money, and making some scratch on partnering with an app, is NO big fucking deal, IMO. So long as the dude would say he IS compensated to promote the app (which isn't happening yet!).

So if Rip is being dirty and underhanded, he certainly WILL deserve a public flogging and shunning. If the truth is Rip is being played for a fool by these two fellow reviewers, then it will turn onto the both of them. Quite a stupid gamble if they are just talking shit.

But if I were to say what I think of it at this point, if they don't have proof, they would HAVE to be completely STUPID and INSANE to make claims they can't back up. This will KILL their following and throw much rage and hate their direction. No doubts that these reviewers are getting more than a free mod or atty to review. Their reviews have MUCH marketing power for these companies.

Maybe these reviewers are NOT getting more than the free mods or atties, and if they aren't, they're NUTS. Takes a lot of time to make these reviews. Takes expensive equipment and editing programs to make a good looking review. Who the FUCK wants to do that for fucking free? Especially to deal with some of the complete morons that follow them around trying to find fault with every god damn thing they do?

P.S. If Matt's hot chick Vee would show us more titties, I would greatly appreciate it. ;) I can sent her pics of MY full head of hair, that I don't have to hide under a hat. :)

In the end someone will lose big in this whole fiasco. Either Rip or Twisted and Matt.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Agreed.. If he is getting paid, and has all along, then thats an unethical practice. It is, however, unproven by any means, at this time.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Agreed.. With the exception of not getting paid, as they are getting paid, by YouTube. How much? I dunno, but they are.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Agreed.. With the exception of not getting paid, as they are getting paid, by YouTube. How much? I dunno, but they are.

I do not know what YouTube pays for views, but I doubt anyone can quit their day job in the vaping community to do reviews and vlogs all day.

I would be surprised if a years revenue was enough to buy a good video camera.

So, unless someone would step up and say, I doubt youtube is paying enough to even call it pay. And besides, that pay has nothing to do with who or what they are reviewing. It's just a payment for views based on advertising revenues for Google.

If there is any truth to this "cash for review" accusation, Twisted should have revealed his "absolute proof" from the get go. The screenshots by them selves are pretty weak.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do not know what YouTube pays for views, but I doubt anyone can quit their day job in the vaping community to do reviews and vlogs all day.

I would be surprised if a years revenue was enough to buy a good video camera.

So, unless someone would step up and say, I doubt youtube is paying enough to even call it pay. And besides, that pay has nothing to do with who or what they are reviewing. It's just a payment for views based on advertising revenues for Google.
It takes a LOT of views, but you would be surprised at how much some have made :)

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/the-25-highest-earning-youtube-stars/

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors