Become a Patron!

Redheaded Stepchildren

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What does a wombat do?

Eats roots and leaves

And I hope that "Root" has 2 meanings in the USA

I’ll take the root of a tree over a limb right now cuz I’ve been sawing up limbs for 4 hours today from a storm we had Wednesday night. Lost 4 big limbs from my 50’ tall sunset maple. Going to have about 3 truck loads to a storm dump site…if I trim them up nicely so I can pack them neatly into my truck bed. We had 90 mph winds that lasted 35 minutes. Lots of damage in a wide swath that went from central nebraska into Iowa.

I don’t want to hear about 1mm of frost.

keithu2

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it's 2032 Olympics which is in Brisbane here in Australia

Do you know what else is in Brisbane? Absolutely nothing

They DO have a lot of rain and humidity, if you are into that. I imagine that lots of events will be rained out, or rain delayed

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My doggies have won 4 in a row, including against the top two teams (Which goes against the very fabric of the club)

Granny struugled recently, with a 6 in Wordle, but is back in form

And
View attachment 216928
I think it's 2032 Olympics which is in Brisbane here in Australia

Do you know what else is in Brisbane? Absolutely nothing

They DO have a lot of rain and humidity, if you are into that. I imagine that lots of events will be rained out, or rain delayed
I’m about olympiced out….
Wife has it on nonstop.
Your weather woes are lost on me. You live in a temperate paradise. Today I get nearly 100 with forecasted humidity of 70-75%. Do you know what that combination causes?????? Nether region dripage. The parts of you that SHOULD sweat pour freely like a tap has been turned on and then your nether regions, that should NOT sweat, feel left out and start to sweat so they can feel like they have contributed to your sweaty misery.
“Powder up” you say?
“Why yes…yes I will” says I.
I slap on more powder than can be found in any nursery. Then you know what happens? I come in from tree cutting and pear picking upping and my wife asks “why is milk running down your legs”.

That really doesn’t happen but you would think it could.
Man….I miss the days of -40 degrees.
Those were the good old days.

On a completely unrelated note…
HAWKEYE football in 27 days. Hopefully our quarterback this year has been banned from all buffets and doesn’t resemble a sumo wrestler.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m about olympiced out….
Wife has it on nonstop.
Your weather woes are lost on me. You live in a temperate paradise. Today I get nearly 100 with forecasted humidity of 70-75%. Do you know what that combination causes?????? Nether region dripage. The parts of you that SHOULD sweat pour freely like a tap has been turned on and then your nether regions, that should NOT sweat, feel left out and start to sweat so they can feel like they have contributed to your sweaty misery.
“Powder up” you say?
“Why yes…yes I will” says I.
I slap on more powder than can be found in any nursery. Then you know what happens? I come in from tree cutting and pear picking upping and my wife asks “why is milk running down your legs”.

That really doesn’t happen but you would think it could.
Man….I miss the days of -40 degrees.
Those were the good old days.

On a completely unrelated note…
HAWKEYE football in 27 days. Hopefully our quarterback this year has been banned from all buffets and doesn’t resemble a sumo wrestler.
Apparently houses in the states have things like double glazed windows and insulation. And cheaper power bills

But outside must suck

Australia actually has lots of natural resources. We mine them, sell them overseas, then buy the same product from a different overseas country

We are assured that this makes sense

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Apparently houses in the states have things like double glazed windows and insulation. And cheaper power bills

But outside must suck

Australia actually has lots of natural resources. We mine them, sell them overseas, then buy the same product from a different overseas country

We are assured that this makes sense

Do you really not have thermopaned (double glazed) windows or insulation?
I can’t imagine life in my part of the world without those 2 things.

We do the same with our resources. And our factories move to other countries so our unemployed factory workers can buy the imported products they used to make right down the street.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you really not have thermopaned (double glazed) windows or insulation?
I can’t imagine life in my part of the world without those 2 things.

We do the same with our resources. And our factories move to other countries so our unemployed factory workers can buy the imported products they used to make right down the street.
We don't

Recently some glaziers have been trying to promote double glazing. But it's a hard sell in a region with no comprehension of it

The temperature outside and inside the house don't tend to differ significantly

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We don't

Recently some glaziers have been trying to promote double glazing. But it's a hard sell in a region with no comprehension of it

The temperature outside and inside the house don't tend to differ significantly

Wow….guess I never really thought about that. Just assumed everywhere did it like we do. Do you have an attic space? A foot of blow in insulation does wonders to keep the heat out in the summer and the heat in during the winter.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow….guess I never really thought about that. Just assumed everywhere did it like we do. Do you have an attic space? A foot of blow in insulation does wonders to keep the heat out in the summer and the heat in during the winter.
Apparently ours are "Low arched roofs" particularly in cheap housing like mine

I'll see later if I can find the recent article with a Canadian lady saying that she's never felt as cold as being inside an Australian house in July

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

"SBS
SBS News
Menu

Advertisement
Australia
'Coldest I've ever been': What these migrants find hardest about living in Australia
Australia may have a reputation as a warm and sunny nation, but one feature makes our winters feel colder than some countries known for their snow.
Profile composite image of two women
Many Australians assume their homes are supposed to be cold in winter, while social media videos about the cold are often posted by migrants from countries with colder climates. Credit: TikTok/Supplied

A recent temperature dip has Australians — and migrants living here — taking to social media to ask an important question: why are our houses so cold?

Canadian content creators living in Australia like Alexandra Tuohey and writer Iona — who blogs under the name Iona on the Coast — are among those to recently highlight Australia's chilly interiors.

"People say to me, 'You're Canadian so you shouldn't be able to feel the cold,'" Touhey says in a TikTok video.

Advertisement

"The coldest I have ever been is living in a Melbourne sharehouse in the middle of July, and lying in my own bed trying to sleep and being able to see my own breath, while only being able to warm myself with a tiny space heater and an electric blanket."

Sydney and Melbourne experienced their chilliest morning of the year on Wednesday, with lows of 6.5C and 1.4C respectively.

Days earlier, Central Queensland had its iciest night on record at 5.6C, with residents waking up to unseasonable frost covering the ground.
Since then, multiple videos have gone viral on social media of people complaining that Australian houses are ill-equipped for the weather.
Why are Australian homes so cold?
Most homes in Australia are poorly insulated with inefficient heaters that can be expensive to run, says RMIT senior lecturer Nicola Willand.

"If you don't have that, heat just dissipates out, so even though you may be heating (the room), you don't really feel the room warming up," she said.
READ MORE

Illness, mould, and a battle to stay warm: Australian tenants' winter struggle

That was especially so for homes built before the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme was introduced in 2004, she said.

While new homes are required to reach an energy rating of seven out of 10, such properties are often too large to keep warm.
Cold homes can have serious health impacts
The chill is not only uncomfortable, it can also impact health. Respiratory and cardiovascular diseases spread more easily in cold conditions, as does mould.

The freezing weather also has implications for mental health and lifestyle.

"People don't want to invite friends over for dinner, for example, because it's cold," Willand said.
READ MORE

Need to wee more during winter? This could be why

"Children don't want to sit in their own bedrooms, where it would be quiet to do the homework.

"They come into the kitchen, which is often the warmest room ... and then they can't concentrate."
Some Australians are moving to warmer locales
To escape the bone-chilling temperatures experienced in some homes, one in five Australians is looking north to warmer climates to earn a brief reprieve from the cold.

NSW residents are most likely to head to Queensland during the colder months, with 21 per cent indicating a Sunshine State holiday this winter, followed by 17 per cent of Victorians, according to Tourism and Events Queensland research.

Tropical north Queensland, the Whitsundays, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast are among the destinations interstate travellers intend to visit.
READ MORE

Too cold to sleep? Here's how to keep warm on freezing nights

Tourism and Events Queensland CEO Patricia O'Callaghan said it was not just because the temperatures were milder during winter in the north — many experiences such as whale watching were exclusive to winter.

A tropical holiday might not fit into the budget for some Australians this year so heating homes will fall to other solutions.

A lot of people would burn wood for heating as cost of living pressures bit but that polluted the air, Willand said.
Tips to treat a cold home
Fortunately, there are cost-effective solutions.

Willand said draught-proofing — plugging the gaps between doors and windows and the surrounding walls — was the easiest way to better insulate your home.

"If you see little gaps around the windows — you can see the sky — that means there are holes where the warmth just flows out very quickly," she said.

Draught-proofing materials such as tape or panelling can be found in most hardware stores and applied without professional experience.

Ceiling insulation also helps prevent heat from rising.

Heavy curtains, particularly ones that reach the ceiling, will also stop heat from exiting through windows.

4 min read
Published 23 June 2024 1:17pm
Source: SBS, AAP
Tags
Share this with family and friends

Recommended for you
A woman rugged up with thick jacket, a beanie and gloves in cold weather.
Think it's cold now? Some parts of Australia are in for even more chilly weather
Weather

A small, futuristic-looking room with a mattress covering the entire space, a pillow and a window to a hallway.
A room with no view: Sydney 'capsule' for rent for $1,080 a month
Housing Affordability

A high-voltage electricity transmission tower is seen in the foreground of the CBD skyline of Brisbane
Two days, two energy records broken as eastern Australia shivers through a cold snap
Weather

A man with an Australian flag draped over his shoulders.
Paying to play: The Australian athletes crowdfunding their Olympic dreams
Sport climbing

Surrounded by burnt trees, a firefighter holds a fire hose.
'Truly uncharted territory': Hottest day ever recorded globally on Sunday, scientists say
Climate change

A woman with long hair wearing a bright yellow shirt holds up a gold medal with a bouquet of flowers in her right hand.
Some Olympians will return from Paris with $1 million, others with nothing. Here's why
2024 Paris Olympic Games

Several Australian notes seen in a close-up photo.
Australia's wealth 'tsunami': Who are the 400,000 people set to become millionaires?
Wealth Inequality

An image of parents and a child with the backdrop of a graph
'Dramatic' shift in world's population could impact how we live our lives
Population of Australia"

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm getting a bit bored with American natural disasters

If your country was a Netflix series, it would get constant one star reviews for being unrealistic

Bet you only hear bits of it.
Screwed up country right now, staring at the top and mainly staying at the top.
The vast majority of Americans are lazy and uninformed and the govt. plays on that.

Hawkizefan

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can you explain the relationship between:

"Get off my lawn"
And
"Someone come and mow my lawn"

?

I’d be happy to….

“Come mow my lawn” means that my lawn needs mowed and …my….aren’t you a handsome 45 year old.

“Get off my lawn” means said yard is mowed and you need to get your punk ass, 45 year old, down under butt off my lawn………damn whippersnapper.

I hope that helped and cleared up any confusion.
You’ll understand better when you’re 50.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw a post which said "Strangest thing I ever saw a manatee do"

Then I wondered what the strangest thing I have ever seen a manatee do was

Then I thought how I have never seen a manatee before

So I decided that even though the question "What is the strangest thing that you have ever seen a manatee do?" was only implied and never overtly stated, it is rather exclusionist towards people who have never seen a manatee before

Good night

VU Sponsors