Smok Alien 220w is pretty awesome

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
nope i did not see a color, this seller does not communicate lol
I have a feeling that the kits he sold in the past are also MIA.
These kits sell for about $50 even in china so i dont know how or why this seller is selling them that low of a price.
with eBay now a buyer has "Buyer protection" even some jerkoffs will use buyer protection even tho they didnt get ripped off. I am a power seller on eBay and have had a few major rip offs, sold $500 items and the buyer played a stupid game and burned me sending me back a box of rocks. eBay is sketchy when you sell there especially when selling to people in China, Thailand etc CC fraud etc.

Back on topic;
If the kit never arrives ill just hit up ebay and they will contact the seller if he doesnt comply with proof of shipping hell have to refund me.
If you go to completed listings for this guy he has sold 5 +1 the one I bought no feedback yet for him on if those who purchased actually got there smok Alien kit or not. Back in the day on eBay it used to be if you got screwed buying from china you just eat it, now there is so many policys and Paypal is actually there to help you
the issue is since the date is so far out, it might be past the buyer protection period. I got screwed once on ebay and buyer protection didn't do shit and didn't even care the seller was posting something as authentic when it wasn't. It was for a tablet screen the pic was of the authentic one, the listing said authentic and when I got it, it wasn't. and by that point I had to put it on. I should have checked first before removing the old screen but w/e since then i don't buy on ebay very often. once in a blue moon. I use amazon a lot more now. it's much better IMO

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ebay is all about protecting the buyer. That's good if you're a buyer. Unfortunately, because of this ebay now has a ton of deadbeat buyers that bid on things and never pay. It's gotten to the point where I don't even use ebay to sell things anymore because you have like a 70/30 chance of people actually honoring their bids. I'll buy on ebay all day. When I need to sell a mod or tank I do it here.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Hello Alien users :)

I've had mine for a few days now and I love it. Using with the TFV8 and Q4 coil at the mo, but have some X4 coils on order. I also like the look of the big baby... Very tempted. My kit came with the baby beast, but the 3ml capacity is a bit of a downer.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with their alien as I'm having: The battery indicator for cell B always displays as slightly less than cell A. If I swap the batteries around, it continues to be cell B that is less. I've checked both cells with a DMM and they read the same. I'm on firmware 1.2.2.

It's not really a big deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this? Other than that, I love it.

oxSWyPv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hello Alien users :)

I've had mine for a few days now and I love it. Using with the TFV8 and Q4 coil at the mo, but have some X4 coils on order. I also like the look of the big baby... Very tempted. My kit came with the baby beast, but the 3ml capacity is a bit of a downer.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with their alien as I'm having: The battery indicator for cell B always displays as slightly less than cell A. If I swap the batteries around, it continues to be cell B that is less. I've checked both cells with a DMM and they read the same. I'm on firmware 1.2.2.

It's not really a big deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this? Other than that, I love it.

oxSWyPv.jpg

try to reload the firmware. sometimes firmware updates get wonky

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No change. Firmware niggle? Or faulty hardware? Not sure.

6Gg7u5G.jpg

Try a different set of married batteries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

6Gg7u5G.jpg

Had you taken a hit or 2 at all before checking battery indicators? The puff indicator says 0.0, but had you taken on those batteries and then powered off or anything?

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Several different married pairs tried, same with all. Even if it were, why when swapping A to B does B still show low? :-S they are genuine VTC5s. Photo with 4 puffs from yesterday, the other one with 831 is today. Batteries have been taken out for firmware upgrade. The discrepancy shows whether on a fresh pair of batteries or if I have taken any number of puffs.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Several different married pairs tried, same with all. Even if it were, why when swapping A to B does B still show low? :-S they are genuine VTC5s. Photo with 4 puffs from yesterday, the other one with 831 is today. Batteries have been taken out for firmware upgrade. The discrepancy shows whether on a fresh pair of batteries or if I have taken any number of puffs.

Sounds like it's the mod. Any other Alien users getting this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I haven't run into this on my Alien, but on my Cuboid they will some times do this, but if I vape on them for a little while they will even out.

Could be something as simple as a solder joint in the pathway of one battery is adding more resistance and causing the chip do think voltage is lower.
Could be one spring loaded battery contact is being depressed more than the other, a dirty contact, etc.
Could be that "B" is the battery closest in line to the board so the nominal current being used to power the PCB could be being drawn more from it.
Anytime batteries are in series, one will see a higher draw than the other. That's why we marry and rotate battery pairs. Could be that battery "B" is right on the cusp of the resistance load it uses to determine the first indicator drop. Most times when a battery is right on the edge, it will always be read as the lower value to prevent an overdraw by the chip.

I hope that made at least a little sense. I know what I'm trying to say, but finding it difficult to articulate.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The pathways or wires going to each battery contact are a specific length in manufacturing because the chip is preprogrammed to allow for the resistance of them. A worker could have accidentally trimmed one lead a little too long so it's reading more resistance. Worker could have soldered it in wrong spot and change the value of the lead, and didn't want to tag it as an error. It could be reading a hair off and on the visual indicator it looks like a lot, but the chip could see it as very little difference and within spec.
Could be a hundred little things.
I'm guessing the other indicator will drop very quickly once you start using it, while the other stays where it's at. What looks like a lot on the indicator could only be a difference of .02 volts and so it passed QC. Visual indicators are very misleading and inaccurate anyway.
I can't count how many times an indicator on my mod shows battery at just under half and I figure I better swap it out before I go run an errand and put it on the charger only to have it show it's at 3.69 volts, lol.

Last edited:

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
They drop equally. B is always about 2 lines [of pixels] below A. No matter what I do. @Rangertrix, your wire length explanation makes a lot of sense.

@SirRichardRear like you [and others] say, I think it would be best to exchange it. I'm not going to hold it against Smok. No product line leaves the factory without a few errors.. None. I've been totally impressed with this mod in every other aspect.... It's exactly the upgrade I was looking for and I have had a lot of enjoyment using it so far :) And if it weren't for my OCD, I might even put up with it, but I can't.

It's just the luck of the draw. :)

Edit: replacement in Gun Metal ordered from FT (I was always on the fence about blue or gun metal so here's my chance to see both). Just about to open an RMA with the seller for the blue one.

Edit 2: @Rangertrix, it's not so much that's it's reading the voltage wrong, more that it's reading a different voltage for each when a DMM confirms the readings are the same that's totally bothering me. If I got a low reading in the mod and then the charger said they were 3.69v, it would bother me less. My main gripe is that two cells of equal voltage are being displayed as a whole two rows of pixels less than the other. My initial thought was.. Crap.. Are these not properly married.. But how is this possible? They're new! I'm always going to worry if they're not displaying as equal. Even if it is just a manufacturing defect, everyone else here seems not to have this issue. I just won't be able to leave it alone. These kinds of things and not cleaning the kitchen floor every day give me nightmares! :p

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Fast Tech are good :)

Cheap yes. good IDK lol slow ass shipping

I got my gold from misthub had it 2 days after ordering and paid 57 for the kit.
I got my blue from ecig for less then 40 with a set of batteries included (mod only no tank)

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Ahh ya see we don't have good prices here in the UK so our only option is to take advantage of the exchange rate and the likelihood that most decent Chinese companies will lie through their teeth on the customs declaration so we don't get import tax and duty. An Alien in the UK is £65 on eBay for example, but £40 from Fast Tech. 2 weeks is nothing to wait if you've saved £25! Also, eBay sellers are asking £3-£5 for a single drip tip, the same they probably ordered from FT - 5 for £3.50 :-S

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Technically it is reading the voltage wrong. If one lead is longer than the other it will see 2 different resistance values for each battery. The chip has been programmed that a value of a=4.2v , b=4.1, c=4.0, etc. If pathway was too long therefore adding resistance, even though both batteries are at 4.2v, the chip would see a value of "a" for battery 1 and a value of "c" for battery 2. Even though the voltage is the same, the chip determines the voltage as the value that it sees. So when it sees 2 different values it thinks there are 2 different voltages.

Anyway, my OCD and I would both be driven nuts by it as well! :eek:

Things like that bother me less and less as I get older, but it would still bother me. Plus, I hate to admit the number of times I've sent back a mobile phone, mod, tablet, etc. over something that was trivial but bothered my OCD and I, only to have the exchange have a different issue that bothers us even worse! My God, it happens WAY too much. :headbang:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ahh ya see we don't have good prices here in the UK so our only option is to take advantage of the exchange rate and the likelihood that most decent Chinese companies will lie through their teeth on the customs declaration so we don't get import tax and duty. An Alien in the UK is £65 on eBay for example, but £40 from Fast Tech. 2 weeks is nothing to wait if you've saved £25!

yup. i don't mind using the Chinese site but i do prefer local, but we get some good local deals. I have 3 order still waiting from fasstech to come. one was placed like 2 weeks ago lol

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cheap yes. good IDK lol slow ass shipping

I got my gold from misthub had it 2 days after ordering and paid 57 for the kit.
I got my blue from ecig for less then 40 with a set of batteries included (mod only no tank)

Could you or ellnic send me your blue versions so I can determine if I want to purchase one?
I'll even check out the battery indicator issue for you ellnic. Worst case scenario, I'll fix like everyone used to fix their check engine lights when I was in high school. Which was back when Christ was a mess cook, so I'm surprised we had check engine lights at all!

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Send physically or pics of? I won't have this in a couple of days. It'll be RMA'd.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ahh ya see we don't have good prices here in the UK so our only option is to take advantage of the exchange rate and the likelihood that most decent Chinese companies will lie through their teeth on the customs declaration so we don't get import tax and duty. An Alien in the UK is £65 on eBay for example, but £40 from Fast Tech. 2 weeks is nothing to wait if you've saved £25! Also, eBay sellers are asking £3-£5 for a single drip tip, the same they probably ordered from FT - 5 for £3.50 :-S

Most women here would kill to lose 25 pounds in 2 weeks! :huh:o_O:confused:

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Send physically or pics of? I won't have this in a couple of days. It'll be RMA'd.

Physically. Hehe!
They used to fix the check engine lights by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the light. Problem solved! I'm sure everyone did something similar on your side of the pond.
After all, we are basically the same people separated only by a common language.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Black tape, eh? If you don't mind my saying so that's child's play. Here we'd remove the bulb. You can't see black tape if it isn't there ;-) I'd love to oblige you but this mod is getting RMA'd pretty quick.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Physically. Hehe!
They used to fix the check engine lights by putting a piece of black electrical tape over the light. Problem solved! I'm sure everyone did something similar on your side of the pond.
After all, we are basically the same people separated only by a common language.
lol my mom used to do that

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Black tape, eh? If you don't mind my saying so that's child's play. Here we'd remove the bulb. You can't see black tape if it isn't there ;-) I'd love to oblige you but this mod is getting RMA'd pretty quick.

Removing the bulb is too much work. If you're going to bother taking things apart, you might as well fix the problem. At the very least, taking things apart is way to close to fixing it. Can't have that.

Now for me personally..........tearing the tape off the roll was too much work, but a Sharpie? That was the ticket! (you don't see black tape with that one either =P )

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
See. Give us colonists an inch, we'll take a mile. Turn your back, and we'll take the whole damn country! :D:rolleyes:

Of course, taxation without representation had a little bit to do with it too. But just a little.
I prefer to think that it all began with several pints of bitters and someone yelling "Hey, check this out!" :drunk: :bliss:

Now would be the time to make popcorn everyone. Lol
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Removing the bulb is too much work. If you're going to bother taking things apart, you might as well fix the problem. At the very least, taking things apart is way to close to fixing it. Can't have that.

Now for me personally..........tearing the tape off the roll was too much work, but a Sharpie? That was the ticket! (you don't see black tape with that one either =P )
just reset it lo. ODB readers are like 20 bucks now. I have one that's bluetooth and i can pull up error codes on my phone. but i actually fix the stuff lol

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
just reset it lo. ODB readers are like 20 bucks now. I have one that's bluetooth and i can pull up error codes on my phone. but i actually fix the stuff lol

I fix it now too (I usually fixed it then too, once I got the money), but Bluetooth didn't exist back then. Hell, cell phones didn't exist back then! And I think back then it was ALDL. Before ODB and ODB II, and scanners were dealer only. Shoot, only your really big mechanic shops had them either. We had to jump pins 5 and 6 in the ALDL connector and count the morse code like flashes of the check engine light, which is the real reason we never took out the bulb, lol.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I fix it now too (I usually fixed it then too, once I got the money), but Bluetooth didn't exist back then. Hell, cell phones didn't exist back then! And I think back then it was ALDL. Before ODB and ODB II, and scanners were dealer only. Shoot, only your really big mechanic shops had them either. We had to jump pins 5 and 6 in the ALDL connector and count the morse code like flashes of the check engine light, which is the real reason we never took out the bulb, lol.
yeah back then there were different standards per make and readers weren't available. had to take it to a shop or go in blind yourself lol

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
yeah back then there were different standards per make and readers weren't available. had to take it to a shop or go in blind yourself lol

Yeah, you always had to wait and try and count the flashes several times to get it right, then look up code in book, and there would be like 20 sensors listed for one CEL code, so you'd guess based on how it was running or just start replacing sensors until it went away, lol.
The old saying of "throwing parts at it until it's fixed"

ellnic

Member For 4 Years

That's all well and good unless it's a major thing, then it comes straight back on right in the middle of the test drive!

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Sharpie? :-D I still think it would be noticeable. You wouldn't be able to get enough layers of ink on the plastic to hide the light. IMHO.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sharpie? :-D I still think it would be noticeable. You wouldn't be able to get enough layers of ink on the plastic to hide the light. IMHO.

Not with the layers of dust already on there
Here we get mud on our boots and dust on our hats all at the same time. lol

I originally bought the gunmetal one and I absolutely love it. I've used it with several different tanks but primarily like using the TFv4 tank with it. When the silver version became available I decided to get it as well and a friend of mine asked me to get him the silver. When I received the two silver mods I discovered something very peculiar. The first one I opened was all flat matte silver which made me originally think they were both going to be that way. Once I opened the second one I noticed it has the metallic silver trim around the screen. I don't know if this is a fluke or what but I'm curious if anyone has had similar experience with the various color options available for this mod.

ktb7977wy0hqnidzg.jpg

Mod on the left is all flat matte silver while the mod on the right has the metallic silver trim.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I originally bought the gunmetal one and I absolutely love it. I've used it with several different tanks but primarily like using the TFv4 tank with it. When the silver version became available I decided to get it as well and a friend of mine asked me to get him the silver. When I received the two silver mods I discovered something very peculiar. The first one I opened was all flat matte silver which made me originally think they were both going to be that way. Once I opened the second one I noticed it has the metallic silver trim around the screen. I don't know if this is a fluke or what but I'm curious if anyone has had similar experience with the various color options available for this mod.

ktb7977wy0hqnidzg.jpg

Mod on the left is all flat matte silver while the mod on the right has the metallic silver trim.
Wery interwestingo_O

My wife's is like the left one. I think it looks super sweet. However, I'm now thinking the one on the right is even more sweeterer. I'm also thinking of selling a kidney so I can buy every color combo I can find. :D

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wery interwestingo_O

My wife's is like the left one. I think it looks super sweet. However, I'm now thinking the one on the right is even more sweeterer. I'm also thinking of selling a kidney so I can buy every color combo I can find. :D

awww shit, that means it'll take me forever to finally get them ALL since there is no way to know what one you'll be getting.
And here I thought I only had Silver and White left to order.
Damn.

Wait, check your packaging better, maybe there is an invite to the chocolate factory!
Nevermind, that only comes in the gold one.
(I certainly hope I am not the only one old enough to get that)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
awww shit, that means it'll take me forever to finally get them ALL since there is no way to know what one you'll be getting.
And here I thought I only had Silver and White left to order.
Damn.

Wait, check your packaging better, maybe there is an invite to the chocolate factory!
Nevermind, that only comes in the gold one.
(I certainly hope I am not the only one old enough to get that)
The golden ticket. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory;)

Those mods look interesting the right looks silver and gunmetal

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors