Become a Patron!

Smok X Cube II - Smok's Temp Control Take 2

Dark Laughter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OHHHHH MY GOD I HATE THIS APP SHIT!!!!!!!!! Can't get the android version to work at all for me and don't know anyone with a crapple product....

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
OHHHHH MY GOD I HATE THIS APP SHIT!!!!!!!!! Can't get the android version to work at all for me and don't know anyone with a crapple product....
Maybe the app will run properly on a different tablet or phone? Have you already tried more than one device? Sorry, wish I had some better suggestions for you!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you see network anomalies toast at the bottom? I'm getting it it's an error with Smok's servers being down/unable to connect

Dark Laughter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've tried a few different devices on the phone's I am getting an anomalies report or it flashes please wait for a second then does nothing and on my tablet it won't even load the app..

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've tried a few different devices on the phone's I am getting an anomalies report or it flashes please wait for a second then does nothing and on my tablet it won't even load the app..
Network anomalies error will be fixed in a handful of hours no doubt. I had it when I got my xcube and had to wait until like 9-10pm est

Dark Laughter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm at the point where I don't even really care I have a eVic VT I do TI on anyways and for a 50 dollar 160w mod I can't be to mad at only using it for Kanthal/Ni builds...

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm at the point where I don't even really care I have a eVic VT I do TI on anyways and for a 50 dollar 160w mod I can't be to mad at only using it for Kanthal/Ni builds...
Just forget about it and when you try later it'll be a good surprise

thorpemark1

Member For 4 Years
I don't think that is what he is saying, I haven't done it, so I could be wrong, but I think what you have to do is tap to pay and then tap again to install it to the mod. At least, that's what it sounds like from the post anyway.

OK, Ti shows on my App, and shows on my mod, when selected from the app.. I can then change to watt mode , etc, and back to TC ti mode on the Mod, but if I then change to NI on the Mod, it doesn't allow me to select TI coil again until I select it from the App .. :S I will try installing again if it lets me in to the purchase Page.. I'd like to get away from been dependant on the app to switch between different types of TC coil ..

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK, Ti shows on my App, and shows on my mod, when selected from the app.. I can then change to watt mode , etc, and back to TC ti mode on the Mod, but if I then change to NI on the Mod, it doesn't allow me to select TI coil again until I select it from the App .. :S I will try installing again if it lets me in to the purchase Page.. I'd like to get away from been dependant on the app to switch between different types of TC coil ..
What firmware are you running?

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all. I'm new to temp control and need some advice. I have a .4 ohm ss 316 coil in my tfv4 single rba. In temp mode it cuts out immediately at 420 and from 480 up it just burns the head off me. I have tried adjusting the coefficient to all the different settings I have seen people recommending but no good. It's like a mech mod run with a car battery. Any advice appreciated.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi all. I'm new to temp control and need some advice. I have a .4 ohm ss 316 coil in my tfv4 single rba. In temp mode it cuts out immediately at 420 and from 480 up it just burns the head off me. I have tried adjusting the coefficient to all the different settings I have seen people recommending but no good. It's like a mech mod run with a car battery. Any advice appreciated.
Set your coefficient to 0.00175
Also I've had best luck with spaced coils

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yep. I bought the ss upgrade and a spool of 24 gauge 316l. I didn't purchase ti. I only plan to use ss because of dodgy reports on nickel and ti. The coil I have in is a spaced coil. It's working very well in watts mode and wicking is keeping up. Tried the coefficient at 0.00175 and still the same.

thorpemark1

Member For 4 Years
I may be wrong but have you bought the SS?
And did you purchase ti prior to updating your mod?

I purchased Titanium before I upgraded, as I say the app lets me pick it, and it apply to the Mod, but as soon as I change it to Ni on the Mod, I cant change back to TI, unless I apply the Ti setting from the App.. Wierd :/

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I purchased Titanium before I upgraded, as I say the app lets me pick it, and it apply to the Mod, but as soon as I change it to Ni on the Mod, I cant change back to TI, unless I apply the Ti setting from the App.. Wierd :/
That is very strange, I know some people had to buy it again after upgrading but if you can apply it I don't know why it's disappearing from the device. Hopefully onebadwolf can help

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep. I bought the ss upgrade and a spool of 24 gauge 316l. I didn't purchase ti. I only plan to use ss because of dodgy reports on nickel and ti. The coil I have in is a spaced coil. It's working very well in watts mode and wicking is keeping up. Tried the coefficient at 0.00175 and still the same.
In temp mod hit the fire button for like 5 seconds a few times,see if it kicks you out of temp mode. If so it's your build no doubt. Also when you put the atty on did it bring up the new coil dialog? At least once it assumed I had the second atty on there and I didn't even notice, kicked me in the back of the throat

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In temp mod hit the fire button for like 5 seconds a few times,see if it kicks you out of temp mode. If so it's your build no doubt. Also when you put the atty on did it bring up the new coil dialog? At least once it assumed I had the second atty on there and I didn't even notice, kicked me in the back of the throat
Hey curly. I dismantled my whole build and started from scratch. It brought up the same ohms on the same coil but it seems to be working pretty well now. Many thanks to you. I'd still be pretty pissed off if not for your help. Cheers man.

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
True, but do not try that setting on the X Cube 2. For SS set it to 00200.(max coefficient value) for SS
You are right. .00200 definitely gives me a much nicer vape than .00175. It's great for us learners to have guys like you two to call on. I was on the point of giving up on tc.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
True, but do not try that setting on the X Cube 2. For SS set it to 00200.(max coefficient value) for SS
That's the setting that worked best on the X Cube II for me. Started to color cotton at 420°F, cotton was unaffected at 400°F.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey curly. I dismantled my whole build and started from scratch. It brought up the same ohms on the same coil but it seems to be working pretty well now. Many thanks to you. I'd still be pretty pissed off if not for your help. Cheers man.
No problem, temp control likes things a certain way, everything nice and snug. Sometimes your build can move by wicking, heating/cooling of the coil,tightening of screws etc.

Last edited:

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's the setting that worked best on the X Cube II for me. Started to color cotton at 420°F, cotton was unaffected at 400°F.
I agree with you on the cotton test. .00175 was best at 420. However it seems to actually vape better at .00200. I don't know how good it will be at that coefficient at preventing dry burns.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

You are right. .00200 definitely gives me a much nicer vape than .00175. It's great for us learners to have guys like you two to call on. I was on the point of giving up on tc.
I found 0.00200 to give me a burnt hit when dry at 390°F

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree with you on the cotton test. .00175 was best at 420. However it seems to actually vape better at .00200. I don't know how good it will be at that coefficient at preventing dry burns.
Just curious what do you mean by better? Smoothness, consistency?

Rfarty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just curious what do you mean by better? Smoothness, consistency?
Both. Way way smoother on the throat. A lot more even. No big ramp up to the set temp and then a big fall off. Just a lot more even. Also seems to be a nicer flavour to my taste. A lot less of a hit to the throat. .00200 is like vaping at 40 watts but better flavour. .00175 is like 70 watts but hot and not as good flavour. Again that's just me. I might change my opinion if I get dry burns. This is the best flavour and overall vape since I started using the xblock.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FWIW, I now test a new SS build by ajdusting the resistance in TC mode before wicking. I set the temp to 420, and touch a qtip to the coils. if they are too hot, I lower the resistance by .005 increments until it does not scortch the cotton. The higher the resistance, the hotter the coils will fire for a given temp. If you manually lock in your resistance too low, it might not fire. Instead of changing the coefficient, tweak the resistance.

Some builds it auto reads perfectly, some need a bit of tuning.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, I now test a new SS build by ajdusting the resistance in TC mode before wicking. I set the temp to 420, and touch a qtip to the coils. if they are too hot, I lower the resistance by .005 increments until it does not scortch the cotton. The higher the resistance, the hotter the coils will fire for a given temp. If you manually lock in your resistance too low, it might not fire. Instead of changing the coefficient, tweak the resistance.

Some builds it auto reads perfectly, some need a bit of tuning.
That's a great idea with the q tip! Sure as hell beats wicking a few times

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anyone know the devices max amp draw? As its not specified in the instructions, and steam engine states 20A, which I believe is wrong, as my two other high power devices have 35A max draw.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know the devices max amp draw? As its not specified in the instructions, and steam engine states 20A, which I believe is wrong, as my two other high power devices have 35A max draw.
It's at least 34.65A. Firing a 0.15Ohm coil with Max setting hit 177W. Specs say 40A.
5af7d375ba4d1ec390f211ddb4cabde5.jpg

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In series, the batteries voltage adds not the current. I can't see anyway it's drawing 40 amps from each battery. I'm assuming it's wired in series like my high power mods. If not my bad. In your example, I think you want to use 8V for your voltage.

Cheers,
Steve

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In series, the batteries voltage adds not the current. I can't see anyway it's drawing 40 amps from each battery. I'm assuming it's wired in series like my high power mods. If not my bad. In your example, I think you want to use 8V for your voltage.

Cheers,
Steve
8V at 0.1ohms Is more like 640w. And to be honest highest I've seen the X Cube Fire is 6.5ish. A 0.1ohm coil at 6.5V is way above 160w. I think that example fits well.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
According to app/device 0.1 will fire 160w which is 40 amps. I don't have an in line voltage meter to test but it's not out of the realm of possibilities for a Chinese mod to use pulse or fabricated battery ratings for a device.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We're talking about input voltage not output. The chip will step up/down the voltage as needed. The input voltage will be 8.4v with fully charged batteries (assuming it's wired in series). The current draw will be what's needed to reach your set wattage (within the devices limits).

Cheers,
Steve

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We're talking about input voltage not output. The chip will step up/down the voltage as needed. The input voltage will be 8.4v with fully charged batteries (assuming it's wired in series). The current draw will be what's needed to reach your set wattage (within the devices limits).

Cheers,
Steve
He wanted to know the max current draw from the device. Regardless the steam engine pic I posted is what's being drawn from the device. It's also PWM (duty mode), in which the batteries could handle 40A because it's not a constant dc-dc 40A. Yes it it wired in series, it basically has to be.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I love this device, but I have one major problem with it. Its much easier to use the app to change things than go through the whole menu system. The problem is that you can't really adjust the TCR on the app, since it only shows to 2 decimal places and we are trying to go to 3 or 4 decimal places. Also, though its a gimmick, the real time puff doest work.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.PNG
    IMG_0026.PNG
    195.5 KB · Views: 13

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Why? Because it's 160w, more than twice our usual 75w single cell mod max?

Or because it's more than the 100 watts of the iStick100, which we know is parallel?
I expect there are other parallel reg mods, though I couldn't name any (assuming they exist).

I know my Brick is series BTW, but why do you think it has to be? Thanks to boost circuitry, we can't just go by output voltage. The i100 goes to 10v (wouldn't "11" have been the right thing to do?).
Maybe basically was the wrong word. Should have used "more than likely" yes I know about buck/boost. But a MAJORITY of these high wattage mods are in series.
And boosting that much is damn sure going to take a toll on battery life.

Also, is the istick 100w really parallel? I swore that was series.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah... it's parallel. If you're carefull to stay below say 75, like all our higher powered singles, it'll work fine on one battery. Same with my Smowell 65w parallel dual, though obviously that's all you get one cell or two. Funky.

The X Cube is parrell??????

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah... it's parallel. If you're carefull to stay below say 75, like all our higher powered singles, it'll work fine on one battery. Same with my Smowell 65w parallel dual, though obviously that's all you get one cell or two. Funky.

I agree about the likelihood aspect... above my stable of 60-75's, I only have the i100 and xBrick. I have no idea which, if any, of the others are also parallel. It could be just as simple as the efficiency of using series vs. boost, as you say.
Yeah, my Sigelei 100w Plus for example I don't THINK has a boost chip just a buck. As the battery degrades if it can't handle the wattage you get the good old "check battery" assuming the cut off is 3v-3.2v it's still enough to put out 5.5— 6v or so with loss in the circuit. There's a lot less stress on the battery with PWM though as it is pulsing from the battery and not putting straight dc to the coil. So 40A would be feasible. You're not putting 8v (x cube spec) into a 0.1ohm coil to get 160w, you're only applying roughly 4v. I have done 160w on a 0.15ohm coil which is roughly 32.66v, which is still above any battery continuous rating. This is done with PWM.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The X Cube is parrell??????
No. I didn't rip it apart but it certainly won't work with one cell.
I worded a statement incorrectly, he was just saying some high wattage devices, like the istick 100w were.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
lol. Being confuzzled is an occupational hazard for me. Well, I guess I can re-assemble my X-cube, put away the multi meter. Shows over, nothing to see no warrenties voided here, move along. lol

I am new to the forum and want to first thank everyone for their knowledge. I just got my Smok Cube II and I'm having an issue after upgrading to the latest firmware 1.092. I am using the TFV4 tank with the 3 coil atty. When vaping in temperature mode it automatically switches to watt mode after 2 seconds when vaping. I can switch it back via the app but upon the next vape it switches back. I previously had firmware 1.080 and it worked fine. Any ideas?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am new to the forum and want to first thank everyone for their knowledge. I just got my Smok Cube II and I'm having an issue after upgrading to the latest firmware 1.092. I am using the TFV4 tank with the 3 coil atty. When vaping in temperature mode it automatically switches to watt mode after 2 seconds when vaping. I can switch it back via the app but upon the next vape it switches back. I previously had firmware 1.080 and it worked fine. Any ideas?
Same coil head?

VU Sponsors