Squonkers are Bonkers

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Aaaand, I lied again.
That coil was too funky, even for ME.
And I make some ugly coils.
Here's some 26. About 0.55 ohms. I'll vape it later... High hopes.
:D
And it was a bit snug getting through the post holes - doesn't look like it should be, but it was...View attachment 73229
Looks like 2013 dished deck version?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Anyone have both a authentic charm and clone? Is authentic really worth 160.00

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Where did you get your clone?

I have an authentic, but want to compare it to a clone. FT has two different ones, but don't state or show a squonk pin. Focalegic has one, that doesn't mention a bf pin, but shows a picture of one.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm. Fail,
For me, just not enough airflow for a 0.55 on a fresh battery mech I guess - it seemed borderline scorching right away.

Rebuild, same basic thing, but 27 gauge, and now we're talking.
0.7 ohms, still quite a nice instant response...actually making me rethink some other single coil builds where I've fiddled around trying to hit 0.4...
Really nice flavor, thick vapor, slightly tighter than a Nuppin (wide open v wide open).
And I'm just popping it on a Pico Squeeze with a fresh battery. Looks kinda snazzy. :)
27gauge.jpg
onasqueeze.jpg

Aaaand, I lied again.
That coil was too funky, even for ME.
And I make some ugly coils.
Here's some 26. About 0.55 ohms. I'll vape it later... High hopes.
:D
And it was a bit snug getting through the post holes - doesn't look like it should be, but it was...View attachment 73229

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have an authentic, but want to compare it to a clone. FT has two different ones, but don't state or show a squonk pin. Focalegic has one, that doesn't mention a bf pin, but shows a picture of one.
GearBest

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

No 3f sorry

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, just a heads up...I got a pico squeeze and slapped a NARda clone on it with a .5, 3mm kanthal and it's a squonking machine....it's fookin tiny...

hi jl, ive got a focal clone and yes it comes w/squonk pin. I haven't used it yet but can say the machining is excellent quality and probably 1:1 considering bugs usual great quality. just hate the wait w/focal, much worse than f/t.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I prefer cotton to silica and to x-wick, but it IS a little weird wicking a Cyclone, in that there's barely room to get a bit of wick out on one side. The other side, it's just enough to lie on the deck. And just thick enough to "fill" the coil without packing it tight.

Crap lighting phone pic
wick.jpg
@Train , could you include a pic. of the wick on the Cyclone? You just set it on the deck?

Just_Calle

Member For 4 Years
Giving the tsunami 24 a try on the wraith today.
Not as flavorful as the goon LP but still a good buy.
3c1b173a5124f59d5b03bbf6519f295f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Giving the tsunami 24 a try on the wraith today.
Not as flavorful as the goon LP but still a good buy.
3c1b173a5124f59d5b03bbf6519f295f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsunami has a lot of air. build it big and position the coils just above the air flow. if you make them higher it mutes flavor. with the goon you want to position the coils higher so the air gets under them since it's side airflow. IMO when built the right way (at least for me) the tsunami outflavors the goon easily.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
tsunami has a lot of air. build it big and position the coils just above the air flow. if you make them higher it mutes flavor. with the goon you want to position the coils higher so the air gets under them since it's side airflow. IMO when built the right way (at least for me) the tsunami outflavors the goon easily.

Bullshit

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have a goon but do have tsunami and I get OK flavor not great

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

flavor is definitely subjective. There really isn't 1 item that is heads and shoulders above the rest. there are too many factors. you can ask 10 people their favorite RDA and get 10 different answers and none will be wrong. It's based on the vapor production of the coils, the airflow, and size of the chamber. they all have to mix into the right ratio.

I have the tsunami 24 and If i build big it's amazing. If i build a little smaller it'll be muted but in that case i can throw that smaller build into a hatty and it'll be amazing. so depending on the build the hatty could outdo the tsunami 24. same can be said of the goon. it has a lot of alot. if you build small and position the coils under the air it'll be very muted. If you build big and position the coils above the air it'll give great flavor.

there are probably over 2 dozen RDAs that can give you great flavor if you build to match them

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Different strokes bro.
It's the airflow and juice flavor , my friend. I have a kennedy comp, which is the same Bott airflow as the tsuanmi.
My girl loves the flavor she gets out of it. She vapes a little more delicate flavors than I do.
I like the flavor I get out of it, BUT I prefer side airflow or top airflow over bottom.
Neither are wrong, it's just a personal taste thing.
For me on my bf mods, I use either a NaRda, Hadlay, petri, goon, hobo v3 or tugboat. All have been modified for bf.
For a regular dripper I use the same list or the recoil, Aeolus, indestructible, mako, and sometimes still a kennedy, magma reborn, magma or darang.

Almost all are side airflow. There isn't anything special about the Kennedy style other than its probability to leak if you over drip.

Place your coils 2mm above the airflow tubes and hope for the best. I use the top of my tweezers as a distance guide. You want the wait to wrap around the coil on its way up.

If you're still not getting the performance you want or expect, it may be time to consider something else

.... Not to mention the over spillage gets expensive with juicy pants stains.
Silly question here, but, do you use button top or flat top batteries in the REO Grand?
I use flat tops, usually vtc's

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a Pico squeeze from VapeNW yesterday.It's small.I love my original dripbox,but dislike the battery cap,so I got the squeeze.Bottle is softer than the dripbox,but a real pain to get out of the mod.And none of my attys sit flush on it.Everyone has a slight gap.Can't wait for my Coppervape to get here!

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Silly question here, but, do you use button top or flat top batteries in the REO Grand?
It was designed for the AW button tops, but now many of us use the flat tops believing you can find better batteries than the AW. The button top, however, provides for shorter switch movement. I use both AW & LG.

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone having trouble getting stuff from Fat Daddy Vapes?I ordered a couple of v4 510's for my franky clone and some 3mm pins.Got shipping notice from paypal and it says it was accepted in West Covina On the 23rd of January and hasn't changed since.I'm thinking I'm never gonna see that package.......:(

KentA

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Word on the street is that Dennis has serious medical problems & his son is trying to keep the business alive. Some have had delivery problems & others have not. Fat Daddy Vapes is not a reliable source this month so pray Dennis recovers.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Anyone having trouble getting stuff from Fat Daddy Vapes?I ordered a couple of v4 510's for my franky clone and some 3mm pins.Got shipping notice from paypal and it says it was accepted in West Covina On the 23rd of January and hasn't changed since.I'm thinking I'm never gonna see that package.......:(

I don't know if you are aware. But the owner Dennis has been in the hospital for at least the last few months. They just announced he was finally returning home. His Son was trying to run the business while he was gone. But did not know how everything worked So they have been having problems cropping up lately They said everything should get back to normal shortly. Which I sincerely hope as I also need to make a big order for my next batch of mods. But have been holding back until they get it sorted out.

Zaxxaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I knew about his medical issues,and hope he is going to recover and be okay. My order did ship,tracking says it's at the post office in West Covina,California.West Covina must be a really beautiful place since my package doesn't seem to want to leave there lol.Hopefully it will show up,I really don't want to fight with USPS.

Just_Calle

Member For 4 Years

Thanks Richard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It was designed for the AW button tops, but now many of us use the flat tops believing you can find better batteries than the AW. The button top, however, provides for shorter switch movement. I use both AW & LG.
Thank you for the reply everybody. I had a feeling that with the button top batteries the switch throw would be shorter.
Now the big question is if I will keep my second hand REO Grand or sell it to fund something else. I somehow feel more at ease with regulated mods so I better think about it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
510's seem to be an issue with FDV right now. However I got a pack of 2.5 squonk pins in less than a week earlier this month.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the reply everybody. I had a feeling that with the button top batteries the switch throw would be shorter.
Now the big question is if I will keep my second hand REO Grand or sell it to fund something else. I somehow feel more at ease with regulated mods so I better think about it.
HG2's exist in button top.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

99.999% of the time I grab my LPs over my Halcyon

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, just a heads up...I got a pico squeeze and slapped a NARda clone on it with a .5, 3mm kanthal and it's a squonking machine....it's fookin tiny...

That's what I like about the squeeze - it's teeny

I keep at least two REOs in rotation at all times, lol.

After considering what gives you the best vape, the real case for the REO is the ease of rebuilding it if the FDA thing does not go away. It is something you can vape forever. Just my two cents.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is something you can vape forever.
I get what you're saying but it reminded me of the shoes salesman advertising his wares, yelling to passers by : these shoes will last you a lifetime!!!! adding is sotto voce...if you don't live too long!
Honestly, I really like squonking but so far the only mods that are remotely close to the same zip code with mech mods are the Pico sqweeze. My other two are the Kanger 160 and Dripbox 2. I have a brass Coppervape and a Wraith that I ordered and should make a nice Christmas present to myself 'cause that's about when they'll get here. I like the REO but it is the plain aluminum and unless I use it daily it will oxidize, or it will become another project I have to re-finish at some point and my time is in very short supply for the foreseeable future.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Keep it and upgrade to Corey's contacts.

9ac886d4c025e00f7ecf940ee5b6f9ec.jpg

Screw replaces the hot spring. Which is where most of the REO voltage drop happens.

It'll perform like a $500 mod then

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep it and upgrade to Corey's contacts.

9ac886d4c025e00f7ecf940ee5b6f9ec.jpg

Screw replaces the hot spring. Which is where most of the REO voltage drop happens.

It'll perform like a $500 mod then

By the time I'm done with it, it will cost me that much. I just got it back from Reosmods where it had the 510 replaced. Any links to those contacts, please?

VU Sponsors