Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy Turkey Day, squonkers!!

Yeah - I do most of the thanksgiving cooking.
Yeah, that's my kid's plate - she went for a leg this year, like me, lol!
Hope you all have a safe and decent holiday, despite travel trouble and all that...
(well, the americans - they rest of you, just have a great end of the week, I guess)

I have some new secondhand stuff ordered! Pix of that hopefully next week.

TGdinner2020.jpg

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just realized I am down to 2 squonkers now - getting ready for that big New Years resolution this year!
b21690425f4e2d275a8e0584c5607681.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just realized I am down to 2 squonkers now - getting ready for that big New Years resolution this year!
b21690425f4e2d275a8e0584c5607681.jpg

If you're giving it up, I call dibs on the Topside for later! Name your price mister. ?

What's your resolution (if I can ask)? Done with vaping? Mr.Meowgi selling all his stuff was surprising recently. If you're going for it, wish you all the best.

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you're giving it up, I call dibs on the Topside for later! Name your price mister.

What's your resolution (if I can ask)? Done with vaping? Mr.Meowgi selling all his stuff was surprising recently. If you're going for it, wish you all the best.

I have been trying to get my wife to stop smoking and said I'll quit vaping if she does. She finally took me up on it!

Remind me on the topside and it's yours my friend, of course after Dec 31st lol.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been trying to get my wife to stop smoking and said I'll quit vaping if she does. She finally took me up on it!

Remind me on the topside and it's yours my friend, of course after Dec 31st lol.

Ok, I'll try to remember around net years. I know quitting will be hard but wish you guys all the best.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
After a rough dentist appointment yesterday, I couldn't really sleep much last night so I figured it was time that I rebuilt my original Kronig. Little projects like this always makes me feel a little better when I'm feeling bad. Plus the 510 started to weep juice from around the pin and insulator last week, very minor but still annoying. The positive contacts have also seen better days, but with as much as I've used it that is to be expected. I have put this mod through total hell this past year. It is the only mod I used daily, usually going a month or more before using a different mod for only part of a day, then switching back to the kronig. I put roughly 30ml a day through it totaling over 12 liters of juice just in the time I ran it daily. That's not counting what the previous owner put it through before me, or any of the use I gave it before it became my only daily driver. I'm not unhappy with those results at all.

I pulled off the old Reset 510 (oldest version) and replaced it with a brand new Reset (newest version), and installed brand new .999 silver contacts. It only took about 15 minutes to complete the project, but the weeping has stopped and it hits slightly better now. I'd post pics, but the only visual difference is that the new 510 contact doesn't have any of the silver plating warn off. Time to see how long this will last before it needs another tune up.

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I call in the event primary dibber is run over by a small contingent of reindeer, dibbs shall fall to the secondary dibber. I am that secondary dibber!

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On the one 2nd from the left I think I got the panel made out of the same slab of stabwood. Mine looks like it would have been just below yours.
That's awesome! If I'm not mistaken we got these around the same time too, so it very well could be.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And set the time on your microwave. Damn!

Nah, he does that & the aliens come visit. Happens to me when I set the time on microwaves, vhs machines, dvd players. They aren't the polite sort like @The Cromwell either. No fun them visiting.

While I'm here, keep reading of swapping out contacts to silver. Where online happens to be a good source for silver plates to work? Know they will cost a little but hopefully not a testicle.

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nah, he does that & the aliens come visit. Happens to me when I set the time on microwaves, vhs machines, dvd players. They aren't the polite sort like @The Cromwell either. No fun them visiting.

While I'm here, keep reading of swapping out contacts to silver. Where online happens to be a good source for silver plates to work? Know they will cost a little but hopefully not a testicle.
Just google for 26 gauge fine silver by the inch

I recently did 2 mods contacts for about $3 plus shipping. You only need the make/break points, with most of it better off in the firmer copper

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
While we are on the subject of contact strips, does anyone have a good trick to punching in clean and flat battery contact points? I usually use a piece of round metal I have laying around and smack it into the strip with a hammer, which works but usually doesn't look the best and needs sanded some to make it nice and flat. I would like to find a way to punch them in a bit cleaner so that I have less clean up to do to them and not have to sand away material if at all possible.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
While we are on the subject of contact strips, does anyone have a good trick to punching in clean and flat battery contact points? I usually use a piece of round metal I have laying around and smack it into the strip with a hammer, which works but usually doesn't look the best and needs sanded some to make it nice and flat. I would like to find a way to punch them in a bit cleaner so that I have less clean up to do to them and not have to sand away material if at all possible.
Use one of these punches @Syythe . 5/16 diameter. You can find them at any hardware store (Doesn't have to be SnapOn brand)
Lay your strip on a piece of wood and give the punch a love tap. Works for me.Punch 003.JPGPunch 001.JPG

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Use one of these punches @Syythe . 5/16 diameter. You can find them at any hardware store (Doesn't have to be SnapOn brand)
Lay your strip on a piece of wood and give the punch a love tap. Works for me.View attachment 175675View attachment 175676
I was just looking through some tools I have stored away, and found some round tip versions of those. I'll grab some of those flat ones next time I go to town. The edges look better than the steel bar that I have been using, so it might punch a cleaner dimple in the silver. Thanks for taking the time to snap a pic.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I was just looking through some tools I have stored away, and found some round tip versions of those. I'll grab some of those flat ones next time I go to town. The edges look better than the steel bar that I have been using, so it might punch a cleaner dimple in the silver. Thanks for taking the time to snap a pic.
Never used it on silver strips but i do on copper. I put a new copper strip in my Athena. Hits a lot better than that Chinese tin they came with.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I bought a small kit for working on mech Squonk box mods, it consisted of two small thin wall box end wrenches and a metal rod tapered at one end. The rod works pretty good to make the dimple, I just put the contact strip on a piece of wood. It would be really simple to make your own rod.
b2ba538289a3e19b99ff4a6290b908d1.jpg

97a450f91964b439f389ac80fa730bc4.jpg

945dcdd252f215174df70b03cee5ddbc.jpg

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought a small kit for working on mech Squonk box mods, it consisted of two small thin wall box end wrenches and a metal rod tapered at one end. The rod works pretty good to make the dimple, I just put the contact strip on a piece of wood. It would be really simple to make your own rod.

That looks just like the rod that I have been using. I think I might actually be using too dense of a piece of wood under it. I'm not sure what type of wood it is, it was just a scrap piece and it does have a pretty tight grain to it. I am going to cut a block of pine and see if that helps.

Have you had any issues with your wrenches rounding off? The ones I got were pretty cheap chinesium and rounded with minimal use, I was going to search for a better set after I got my dimple punch worked out.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
That looks just like the rod that I have been using. I think I might actually be using too dense of a piece of wood under it. I'm not sure what type of wood it is, it was just a scrap piece and it does have a pretty tight grain to it. I am going to cut a block of pine and see if that helps.

Have you had any issues with your wrenches rounding off? The ones I got were pretty cheap chinesium and rounded with minimal use, I was going to search for a better set after I got my dimple punch worked out.
I'm using an old piece of a 2x6 that I had laying around but it's pretty soft.
As far as the wrenches, I got them from modmaker and they seem to be of pretty good quality.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm using an old piece of a 2x6 that I had laying around but it's pretty soft.
As far as the wrenches, I got them from modmaker and they seem to be of pretty good quality.

I'll give those a shot, already placed the order. Thanks for the link.

The last ones I had could be bent really easy, so they were very low quality. Definitely not tool steel. I think I they came with a diy kit I got off ebay a few years ago. Lately I have just been using a set of small pliers. It works but not as well as a wrench.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
That's awesome! If I'm not mistaken we got these around the same time too, so it very well could be.
Now that you mention it you're correct. It was right at the end of what they had left of those panels.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That is the rod for the 510 tool, I think?

c1fcab518fd94ac695249ba01dfa0bc6.jpg

The battery contacts that don't make and break are less important than the make breaks. So I just use a dab of solder. And save 95% silver for the small spot where the connection is not constant

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still waiting for my SVA to hit Italy for repair. It was mailed on 7th December

Giacomo estimates €90 plus shipping for the repair. And hopefully that covers it. But he needs to see it first. And I am getting increasingly nervous

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was contacts for some Berkshire boxes. You can see the solder nipple and the small silver points

Could substitute hardened Stirling silver in place of the copper, and still use fine silver for the make breaks

Fine silver is so soft though. It does not spring like copper. Stirling does a little bit. But very little benefit over copper, and all that benefit is lost in the feel of the button and not springing

Annealing is good too

492aa941fce3c5d4b0e13a3176fa6c76.jpg
e9c25cf3c41cd76cce8d9d5be7c5e30e.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 175954All 6 wicked up now my daily drivers, haven't used an RTA in weeks!!

* maniacal chuckling from the darkest portions of the void *

Welcome to the dark-er side. We use RDAs here. Our coils offer the light of darkness. You swear fealty to RDAs and forsake RDTAs now. Thus join us on our crusade to rid the vape of the abomination that are tanks!

*chuckles*

No, I'm glad you're enjoying using RDAs. If you want to use tanks though, enjoy them too if you like. I'm completely joking about a holy war. :)

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
* maniacal chuckling from the darkest portions of the void *

Welcome to the dark-er side. We use RDAs here. Our coils offer the light of darkness. You swear fealty to RDAs and forsake RDTAs now. Thus join us on our crusade to rid the vape of the abomination that are tanks!

*chuckles*

No, I'm glad you're enjoying using RDAs. If you want to use tanks though, enjoy them too if you like. I'm completely joking about a holy war. :)
Lol in all honesty I had enough of fiddling with the wicking. One time tank runs great next rewick trouble, dry hits or flooding with rdas it's so much easier!!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To each their own. I squonk with either an rda or an srdta. On other mods, I just use RDTAs. I don't like RTAs, but I won't tell ppl not to use them. It's their business, just as if they wanna use pods, mechs, or whatever.

I get enough grief when I walk into a vape shop and get treated like shit because of whatever mod I am using is not the latest pod they are trying to hustle, and they won't sell anything for mods of any type.

We shouldn't be judging each other's choices. Losers out in the real world are already doing enough of that already.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To each their own. I squonk with either an rda or an srdta. On other mods, I just use RDTAs. I don't like RTAs, but I won't tell ppl not to use them. It's their business, just as if they wanna use pods, mechs, or whatever.

I get enough grief when I walk into a vape shop and get treated like shit because of whatever mod I am using is not the latest pod they are trying to hustle, and they won't sell anything for mods of any type.

We shouldn't be judging each other's choices. Losers out in the real world are already doing enough of that already.

My apologies, did not intend my joking to be read as judging. That is something I diligently make a concerned effort to not do. I am in agreement with you. Everyone can use and like using what they want. Again sorry if my humor read different than I intended.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone else seen a severe lack of squonk equipment in their local vape shops too? The one near me has one RDA (damaged display model at that) and zero squonk mods. It has been like that for a long time now, since before covid started. I keep trying to support them and try to find something to buy, but they keep saying they won't order any of that stuff because it is too "old school" and very outdated. They seem to take it personal when I say I am not interested in pods too. I just don't even like going in there anymore.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else seen a severe lack of squonk equipment in their local vape shops too? The one near me has one RDA (damaged display model at that) and zero squonk mods. It has been like that for a long time now, since before covid started. I keep trying to support them and try to find something to buy, but they keep saying they won't order any of that stuff because it is too "old school" and very outdated. They seem to take it personal when I say I am not interested in pods too. I just don't even like going in there anymore.
I have been seeing vape shops in my area change owners way too often. I got to the point where I stopped going into the ones with CBD signs plastered all over the windows. Experience has taught me those are the ones least likely to sell anything to do with actual vaping mods, and more likely to be selling paraphernalia.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been seeing vape shops in my area change owners way too often. I got to the point where I stopped going into the ones with CBD signs plastered all over the windows. Experience has taught me those are the ones least likely to sell anything to do with actual vaping mods, and more likely to be selling paraphernalia.
I only have 2 real vape shops in my area. One I mentioned above, the other I stopped going to over a difference of opinions about them selling bad batteries and telling everyone that they can easily handle 60a builds on mechs. There is another, but they only sell juice and coil heads, no gear at all. I've never went into the tobacco shop in my area, they claim they have vape stuff but I already know it is just going to be the big tobacco owned vape stuff and juuls.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have made...let's just say hundreds of vaping purchases. Almost 100% of them online. My preferred stuff never seems to be what's "hot" and in stores.
I will say though, that the few times I've gone to vape shops, I've been lucky!
I had helpful people in almost every case.
In one, all the cloud-bros wanted to peek at my Reo, and dude behind the counter said "Oh, the owner has those - his are made of wood". Then he drill-press drilled a bigger airhole in my squonking RDA for me and declined to charge anything for the service. That was years ago.
Recently, my daughter took me to a "smoke" shop that had an AMAZING inventory of bongs and pipes and such - and when I asked "happen to have any mech squonkers?" - they DID. Nothing I needed, but they DID have an RDA I wanted that's sold out online (Elder Dragon). I bought it - double the price, but they had a few...

Anyway - yeah, not a lot of squonker action in brick and mortar stores.
I honestly haven't expected many of them to survive, seeing that the primary profit maker would have to be e-liquid, and that's going to get quite limited...

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In one, all the cloud-bros wanted to peek at my Reo, and dude behind the counter said "Oh, the owner has those - his are made of wood". Then he drill-press drilled a bigger airhole in my squonking RDA for me and declined to charge anything for the service. That was years ago.
That is probably the issue with my local shop, the owner has never been a vaper or a smoker. Not all of the employees vape either.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Anyone else seen a severe lack of squonk equipment in their local vape shops too?

Um, not been into my local vape shops for roughly three years. At the time I was sold a genny style tank that could have been converted to an RDA, bf RDA. Told I would get a discount as it lacked a few parts. Ha! Still cost $40 and was not worth it.

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Um, not been into my local vape shops for roughly three years. At the time I was sold a genny style tank that could have been converted to an RDA, bf RDA. Told I would get a discount as it lacked a few parts. Ha! Still cost $40 and was not worth it.
Ijoy combo by any chance?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I fell for that one too, it was pretty lack luster.

Got my RSST back. Not yet built on it. Not sure why. Probably just being lazy and not wanting the mussing around with it. Eventually want one w/ the pyrex tank section. The polycarb tank on this one leaks. Could probably use o-rings to help but again just not keen to muss with it.

VU Sponsors