Become a Patron!

SUBTANK WARS

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, so the more I dig around, the more subohm tanks I seem to find. We are all familiar with the popular ones...

Aspire Atlantis
Kanger Subtank family
Eleaf Melo
Horizon Arctic
Joytech Delta
SMOK VCT A-1

I own the Atlantis, Subtank Mini, and MELO
but I've now also found...
Horizon Tech Scion
Sense Herackles
Freemax Starre
Council of Vapor Typhoon
The High Voltage
Beyond Vape Silo Beast
Vapeston Maganus
SMOK tech Gimlet

So I guess the purpose of this thread is to create a one stop shop for discussion on all these and others you all may have found or know of and to help people make informed decisions if they are on the fence about one. If you own one of these, post your likes/dislikes, why this is the next bigest thing and all the others blow. Let the arguments begin!

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I own an Atlantis, Delta II, Full size Subtank, and an Arctic.

Atlantis: My least favorite, flavor is muted and is always spitting hot juice. Build quality is top notch, and airflow is awesome.

Delta II: Flavor and clouds are fantastic. Pain in the ass to fill, and hard to see juice levels.

Subtank: Great flavor, easy to fill and take apart. Huge capacity, and build quality is top notch. Clouds aren't great, and tastes burnt above 25 watts.

Arctic: Holy shit this thing is awesome. Huge clouds, big flavor, easy to fill, and did I mention the clouds. Build quality is okay, theres some shoddy milling around my air holes.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ATLANTIS(25-35W)
I agree about the atlantis. At the time when it was my only subohm tank, I thought it was the tits; I liked the wide open airflow and the flavor was good. Never had issues with terrible spitting or any throat issues, but after I had that weird mystery nugget come flying out of it, I reconsidered my options.

SUBTANK MINI(25-35W)
Bought it shortly after the issue with the Atlantis and I was immediately impressed with the flavor. Much better and I liked being able to tighten up the airflow. However, ran into issues with the coil giving me dry hits. Replaced the coil primed it, and got burnt hits(all thngs considered I didnt let it soak for too long), replaced it again and same dry hits as the first. None of those coils lasted more than a few days. Now I have a coil in that seems to be holding and flavor is great. Still like it more than my Atlantis, but wish it didnt have those issues with the occ coils I experienced.

MELO (25-30W)
To me this seemed like my Atlantis and Subtank Mini got drunk at a party and made a baby. Looks alot like the father Atlantis, performs like the mother Subtank. Flavor and clouds are just a hair under the performance of the Subtank with the look and feel of the Atlantis. Happy with it and would recommend.

Being the gear whore that I am, I will probably pick up the Arctic for kicks unless something comes out of the blue that outperforms what I already hear about it.

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd go for it with the Arctic. Damn thing is awesome, a bit of a warning though, if you go with the .2 coil, be prepared to buy a lot more juice. I went tbrough a 30ml bottle in a day.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TasteMyToast Im pretty sure I will... I did notice of the Sense Herakles and the CoV Typhoon though. Both look good and I can think of one person on VU that I have seen with the Herakles. I wonder if no one else is willing to take one for the team and try some of the others, or if there just isnt any traffic about them.

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where did you find info on the Silo Beast?? I'm waiting for that tank to compliment my Silo and Delta 2

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have had an atlantis, i currently have two subtank minis, subtank nano, and horizon arctic.

I liked the aitflow on the atlantis, but didn't like the spitback and i thought the flavor could have been better, the coil wicking material was also of concern. (now they are making coils with organic cotton)

I love the subtanks I have I use the 0.5ohm OCC coils (@22-25W) in the minis - all around I like these the best. Excellent flavor and plenty of vapor. I have also tried these with a ni200 coil in them, it worked well until my mod started giving me problems and needed to be sent back.

The subtank nano is on a istick 30W, with 1.2ohm OCC coil (@16-18W), great compact little set up, I like the flavor better on the 0.5ohm at higher wattages but due to the smaller size tank I wanted to slow juice consumption and battery life

I also have an horizon arctic tank, i have been using the dual coil 0.2ohm on a mech mod. This thing is a beast! It hits hard! Great airflow! Decent flavor! The downside is that the coils are hard to find in stock anywhere. - In retrospec........i may have bought an atlantis instead with the organic cotton coils, that way I would have had the option to use a 5ml tank and the coils would have been more readily available.

I may end up picking up a smok gimlet once they get some reviews out and I get my temp control mod situation fixed

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I prefer my Subtank Mini with a 1.2-1.5 ohm rebuilt OCC coil. I recently tried an Atlantis and a Delta II. I may be interested in trying the Article if more people give it the thumbs up. Getting coils locally wouldn't be an issue for me, as I can either order them online or find a rebuild how-to for them. I would also be interested in hearing about some more of these! @Taver13 don't hyoid have one of these Gimlets? What do you think about it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@WARCHOP37 I did a search multiple times after I first heard about it. I still don't find anything other than where I first found out about it.

judgewiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I own the Kanger subtank, Subtank mini with no problems except when I fill. I also have the Atlantis with the 5ml tank. I just received the Council of Vapor Typhoon. The Typhoon gives me the best flavor and it is a well made tank with no leak issues. The only problem is the fact that it holds on 2.5 ml of juice so you are constantly filling. Once again I have some decisions to make on if the flavor is worth constantly filling.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After a few days of testing I'm finding the Kanger mini very pedestrian - could be because I'm used to sub-dripping at 60 watts. Interested in trying the Arctic, but will probably play with the Kanger RDA for a while first - 0.5 BCC gives occasional dry hits and is delivering subpar vapor after just 3-4 tanks unless I wait a couple minutes between draws.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@judgewiz what is the wicking material for the typhoon? From what ive read its "ceramic fiber". Can you confirm? Peaked my interest until then.

judgewiz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The wicking material seems to be cotton but the on the outside of the vent hole of the atomizer. There is a screen covering the opening and I think that is where the ceramic fiber comes into play

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
For some unknown reason (I can only speculate) I keep coming back to my Atlantis. Now that I have the cotton coils this one is a real winner. I got the Kanger subtank recently. The flavor is very good and using the .5 ohm coil, it does produce a good amount of vapor and airflow but not like the Atlantis. The Lemo is another good tank but I do not care for the air flow adjustment being underneath the body of the tank and the fill hole just sucks. I keep looking but each time, I crave a good vape, the Atlantis is what satisfies my vape style. At least for the moment. Happy day and vape strong my friends.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Robert619 I noticed you have another thread open about getting coils for the Herakles. Saw a deal for them on vapingcheap.com and was wondering what your experience has been with it? Do you have any of the other popular subohm tanks and how do you think they compare?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad to see manufacturers stepping up and creating subohms tanks, I do have the SUBTANK I use the rba option .04. And I have the forgotten aqua v2, love everything about this RTA although its PIA to put juice.IF you want clouds
DRIP! If you want flavor DRIP!!
IMO!

BIGBOYVAPER

The V2 Scion is much better than the original. Besides having coils that go down to .15 ohm they cleaned up the machining oops issues they had in the original. This is my second favorite right now.

My favorite is the Freemax Starre. This one has insane airflow! Add to that the dual vertical coils at .25 ohm's.. Yeah I ditched my Kanger and Aspire subs after a week on this one. Plus the price is a steal. And cloud production. This thing chucks clouds big time!

TVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So various companies are now competing to see who will release the lowest ohms fill and go tank ? 0.2 ? What is even the point. Why would you use a pre built head on a mech mod that requires low ohms ? Does that doesn't rebuild their own heads have any buisness vaping at 0.15 ?

Are we trying to get vaping banned ?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So various companies are now competing to see who will release the lowest ohms fill and go tank ? 0.2 ? What is even the point. Why would you use a pre built head on a mech mod that requires low ohms ? Does that doesn't rebuild their own heads have any buisness vaping at 0.15 ?

Are we trying to get vaping banned ?
KEEP IT 100 BRO...
I hear people complained about dripping all the time that's why they want a clearomiser/rta but yet they want to sub ohm on it not realizing the time consumed when refilling the TANKS... Lol

TVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But beyond that I don't see the point. What is the inherent advantage to being at 0.15 on a regulated mod instead of just going higher voltage? And why would anyone, these days, buy a mech then throw a prebuilt head on it ? I don't get it. As long as they make the heads airflow and juice channels large to support high watts, what advantage does being at 0.15 have, other than some ill advised guys blowing themselves up ?

Maybe there's something I don't understand.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Convenience my friends. From my experience, I know how to build my own; I own a silverplay and a fogger. I love building and am definitely competent enough to do so. But with 2 kids, I just dont haave the time to, so this has become my solution. Easier for me to just pop in a prebuilt coil and vape on. But I see yalls points, there are plenty of ignorant people who are probably gonna misuse these. Im just explaining it from the point of view of those of us without the time to build but enjoy sub ohming.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like throwing an RTA on when I am on the go so I don't have to drip. I have yet to own/review one that made me have a "dripper" like experience. The closer they get the more appealing it is. I just haven't used one to change from a dripper for more than just convenience in a pinch.

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone know if ismoka/eleaf will be updating their designs? I heard rumor of a new GS-M.

carrielsal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The V2 Scion is much better than the original. Besides having coils that go down to .15 ohm they cleaned up the machining oops issues they had in the original. This is my second favorite right now.

My favorite is the Freemax Starre. This one has insane airflow! Add to that the dual vertical coils at .25 ohm's.. Yeah I ditched my Kanger and Aspire subs after a week on this one. Plus the price is a steal. And cloud production. This thing chucks clouds big time!

Where did you find the Freemax Starre? I can't find a US vendor that has any in stock.

Where did you find the Freemax Starre? I can't find a US vendor that has any in stock.

One of my suppliers in China had them and sent me one to try. I ended up ordering 100 I liked it so much. Now just waiting on DHL to get off their slow rears and deliver..

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
What a great thread. I have both the Atlantis and Kanger full size subtank. Both are ok in their own ways and I do enjoy vaping each for their own capabilities which do differ between the two. I do enjoy large clouds but flavor is becoming more important to me lately without the compromise of vapor reduction. Looking at both the Freemax Starre and the Zephyrus, I cant stop drooling over the potential of either of these tanks. Biggest question now will be which one to choose and what the actual user reviews will be of these....

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So various companies are now competing to see who will release the lowest ohms fill and go tank? 0.2 ? What is even the point. Why would you use a pre built head on a mech mod that requires low ohms?

Um, size??? Portability? Convenience? I would MUCH rather carry my Arctic on a SMPL than ANY regulated mod. Once I get the 0.2 heads I doubt it'll ever go back on my regulated mods.

I agree though, there needs to be more battery safety education at a minimum. Some people are fucking stupid though. Somehow the hardware store can still sell drills, drill bits, torches etc...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As long as the battery doesn't contact the rim of the 510 it should be fine.

Married 2 The 7

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Awesome thread! I was going to make a thread about a question I had but I can ask it here now! I have a Atlantis both the original and with the 5ml capacity. I don't make enough to go through juice bottles or batteries a day but I do vape some. I just bought the extension tank because it was there at my local shop but the original tank is just fine with me. I have no worries about refilling the tank since it takes me days to finish a tank regardless. Anyways back to my question. Which of these new subtanks out there has the best flavor? I want a tank for flavor first then clouds. I have my Atlantis for that. Anyone help me out? Trying to look for that can bring the taste out of what my Atlantis seems to be holding back on. Leaves a lot to be desired.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Awesome thread! I was going to make a thread about a question I had but I can ask it here now! I have a Atlantis both the original and with the 5ml capacity. I don't make enough to go through juice bottles or batteries a day but I do vape some. I just bought the extension tank because it was there at my local shop but the original tank is just fine with me. I have no worries about refilling the tank since it takes me days to finish a tank regardless. Anyways back to my question. Which of these new subtanks out there has the best flavor? I want a tank for flavor first then clouds. I have my Atlantis for that. Anyone help me out? Trying to look for that can bring the taste out of what my Atlantis seems to be holding back on. Leaves a lot to be desired.

I too have the same problem with my Atlantis. However I do go through ALOT of juice in a day. Even with the new Atlantis cotton coils, the flavor is not what I would expect. The new coils help it but it is still lacking IMO. I purchased the Kanger subtank thinking that would help. The flavor is much improved over the Atlantis using the OCC but it is prone to leaking and although the quality on the Kanger is awesome, there is still something missing. Reading and viewing a few u tube vids, I am hearing that the Freemax Starre is hands down a great tank for flavor. The vapor production was off the charts in the vids I watched. Just my 2 cents worth.... Good luck..

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Flavor and then clouds? You want the arctic and you will have both from a tank. Some of the flavors I had really popped with the arctic... I have several RDAs but use tanks almost exclusively for convenience and the sake of time (I'm a little ocd and want to rebuild every time lol- and it's fun)...

The arctic can produce the flavor and the cloud.... But I must warn you- if you use the .2 coil- you will surely double the juice usage you are currently at. The .5 is my go to- still drinks more than the Atlantis, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to thoroughly enjoy the juice I paid for.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad to see so much discussion going on! I wonder if anyone has had the chance to compare the Freemax Starre to the Arctic; the Starre is getting a lot of good press, however, like the Arctic, I cant seem to find one anywhere in the US right now. Looking into the future, it seems like a few more like the Youde Zephyrus may end up dethroning the Arctic. And the war rages on...

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I looked at the artic it t b e small juice capacity was a deal breaker for me

The Horizon Tech Tetra is a giant with 6ml capacity but like I said a giant in size.. The Scion is 3ml and eats juice like a fat kid at a buffet.. The Freemax Starre is the same way but when you go down to .15 ohm or even .2 ohm your going to get that no way around it. Yes worse than the Kanger sub or Aspire Atlantis but it is due to improved airflow so more airflow equals more just getting used.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I dont mind the juice consumption so much because I DIY with my juice. However if I cant get the taste, clouds, capacity, or ease of use, then I tend to move on to the next experiment. I have a feeling that this Freemax Starre is def going to be a hot item for a bit. But then again, I could be wrong about it.... Have a great day fellow Vapers and Vaperettes...

Hello everyone. I was just reading this and decided to join the group. So this'll be my first post. I have the Atlantis, original big Subtank and the Arctic. Of the three, I suppose I like the Arctic the best. I took the Arctic, with .5 ohm coil, and my istick 50 watt to work with me this morning. It is good, but I went home for lunch and swapped out for my trusty 'ole Orchid V2 clone. I don't need even half of the Arctic's air flow, so the Orchid is good by me and the Orchid's flavor is way better in my opinion. You do have to build the Orchid, but I'm the type to leave the same coils on forever and just burn the gunk off and rewick every once in a while. I don't have a lot of time to mess with building, so I get up a little early on Saturdays to have coffee and mess with rebuildables for a little while.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad to have you @JeffVapes , so far you are the Switzerland among those who have the "ARCTIC IS THE BEST THING EVER" streak of many of the Arctic's owners; good, but not great... I myself just bought one and am looking forward to seeing if it meets the hype, though all things considered I think I bought it just because I like buying gear... at the rate this is going, I may become some kind of arms dealer pawning off my other gear to those seeking entry into this crazy war. So let the war rage on!

Thanks @WARCHOP37 I'm not knocking the Arctic. For a prebuilt coil, it is the best of the 3 I've tried. I just prefer rebuildable tanks is all. I, too, have the problem of buying gear I don't need. Right now, tank wise, I have the Arctic, Atlantis, Subtank, Orchid v2, Orchid v4, Billow and Goblin. I don't have the wicking down on the Goblin yet, but I'm sure I'll love it once I do.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JeffVapes no worries, man. wasn't saying you were knocking it, just that it wasn't the next best thing since sliced bread. And that's ok! I too have a few rebuildables, a fogger and a silverplay. I like em great, flavor is amazing on my silverplay, wicking is a breeze. I just don't have the time to build. vape on!

I used to be really bad about buying a lot of guitar pedals, but vaping has taken over. In the guitar pedal geek world, they called it "GAS" which stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Vape on and hope that the next "must have" piece of gear waits a while to come out.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
RE: RBA deck

I have three Kanger Subtank Minis. Two of them have the juice channels reamed all the way down to the bottom of the deck. The other one stops short preventing proper juice flow, imo. Vapor Beast says that Kanger says that this is the way it is supposed to be. What do your juice channels do? And how is it performing as far as juice flow and dry hits go? FYI, I do not use the pre-built coils.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only subtank I own is the Smok GCT (Gimlet Clouds Tank). I actually have two GCTs (don't ask how that happened). The GCT comes with two Ni200 coils, otherwise I don't see much real difference between the VCT and the GCT, so if you own a VCT, save money by only buying Ni200 coils for it. The GCT works well enough. Does the Subtank Mini work better? Will I buy one just to find out? Must...resist...<resistance is futile>...IF I do buy another subtank, it will be the Subtank Mini...

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a subtank mini. I get hits that are too wet often, not gurgly, but seems like not enough heat. Unless I lung hit (dont like that) or puff on it a few times. Never a dry hit with thick juice. But I get that with everything. Almost never a dry hit on anything I vape. I hit it 3-8 time, then leave it lay for maybe an hour. My Kayfun seems all choked down after using the subtank, but still prefer it for flavor.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The rebuildable deck inside the subtank mini seems like an option worth considering...

VU Sponsors