The BOREAS RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I have no issues with the board price, given the entire range of freedom you have with Escribe as a tool, firmware updates, up to 8 preset wire profiles, unmatched efficiency with their buck-only system, fires down to 0.01, amazing screen, on-board buttons with support for wired buttons, onboard safety fuse, etc. Plus if you get over 5-10 boards the price starts to drop REALLY quickly. There's DNA200 mods like the Player for as low as $110-120 on some websites, the VT200 is $99.99 some places.

If you prefer regulated devices, once you'll used a DNA200 for a while and gotten the full experience using Escribe and such, nothing else compares.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Some B&M's sell their own wraps. Chattanooga Vapor Company here has some damned good wood skin wraps for cheap. JWraps aren't too expensive in my opinion either.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could JWrap it...or get the Normal Matte Version, that would make it easier on the eyes I guess

I feel the DNA200 is overpriced to start with..

Until someone else comes out with a chip that can perform as well as if not better than the Evolv DNA 200 it what it is. I know the DNA 200 is not the be all and end all but it is damn cool with the features it provides.

I notice on the Lavabox that it there does not seem to be any ramp up period, well the coils have to heat up, but once it heats up it rocks.

Beats out the RX200 for me as far as ramp up and sustainability.

I guess some of that is the battery sag issue with the 18650 vs the LiPo. Plus it seems that the Lavabox does not overheat like the RX200. I think overheat is the wrong word. Lavabox hits the wattage, coils heat up and its a nice vape where the RX200 just keeps getting warmer.

RX200 is good but it can get hot seems to me. Of course hot is relative.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Until someone else comes out with a chip that can perform as well as if not better than the Evolv DNA 200 it what it is. I know the DNA 200 is not the be all and end all but it is damn cool with the features it provides.

I notice on the Lavabox that it there does not seem to be any ramp up period, well the coils have to heat up, but once it heats up it rocks.

Beats out the RX200 for me as far as ramp up and sustainability.

I guess some of that is the battery sag issue with the 18650 vs the LiPo. Plus it seems that the Lavabox does not overheat like the RX200. I think overheat is the wrong word. Lavabox hits the wattage, coils heat up and its a nice vape where the RX200 just keeps getting warmer.

RX200 is good but it can get hot seems to me. Of course hot is relative.

The only competition is the SX450 powered SX Mini Q Class, but I don't see it winning out. 200W with two 18650's, which is not safely possible so it'll be a PWM mod. Boost and buck shared board kills efficiency over a buck-only system. Then the SX-Q software (I've used this on my ML class) looks like it was designed by a four year old.

Also it's another mod that claims it can fire resistance loads way lower than its power range could handle. Claims to read and fire down to 0.001 ohms or something like that. My ass. Not to mention it's not a pretty device IMO.

Another thing, SX-Q has about, half, the total options as Escribe has.

Combine this with a firm $199.99 pricetag and you have a mod that'll flop like a fish on dry land the moment it launches.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have the SS Boreas on the RX200. Set at 110 watts. went to hit it and got no vape. Too Slow. Now if I hit it a couple of times it'll produce a nice vape then get hot.

The Black Boreas on the Lavabox Fused Claptons, 95 watts. Go to hit it and it just vapes.

Got to be the chips and batteries.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Besides Escribe and tinkering I dont see much special about it that most other mods half the price dont already do....some do it in a even more user friendly manner.

You can buy vinyl wrap and wrap them yourself..thats how I wrapped the Snow Wolves.
Carbon Wrap Wolfs .jpg Carbon Wrap Wolfs.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Have the SS Boreas on the RX200. Set at 110 watts. went to hit it and got no vape. Too Slow. Now if I hit it a couple of times it'll produce a nice vape then get hot.

The Black Boreas on the Lavabox Fused Claptons, 95 watts. Go to hit it and it just vapes.

Got to be the chips and batteries.
Thats from wattage inaccuracy...and possibly resistance inaccuracy. Each chipset will be different. I havent compared a DNA200 against the G2 but my G2 @ 151w is hotter then every other mod Ive used at 200w-260w. It feels atleast 2 times hotter then the Laisimo L1 and XCubeII maxed out.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Besides Escribe and tinkering I dont see much special about it that most other mods half the price dont already do....some do it in a even more user friendly manner.

You can buy vinyl wrap and wrap them yourself..thats how I wrapped the Snow Wolves.
View attachment 48151 View attachment 48152

I can get through 8 TC profiles, change the temperature in increments of 1 degrees, lock the device, lock the ohm load, auto-detect TC or power mode and lock the wattage all by hand on the DNA. So it's pretty user friendly honestly. If you use hybrid-TC builds like I do (NiFE-30 Claptons, Kanthal/Nichel Hybrid builds, etc) there's no other device that can ever hybrid TC properly. The HOhm Wrecker says it can, but I tried for hours and frankly I beg to differ.

The big one it does other's do not is, well, efficiency. It's a far more accurate board than anything else out at a 97% efficiency mark. Not to mention the standard DNA power comes off a 3S lipo, which sags less and has much higher amp ratings than 18650's. I can vape consistently at 200W on a DNA and have the mod sit cold, where-as on my RX200 I can vape for five minutes at 150W and the entire mod goes hot potato on me.

I guess it's a matter of how much headroom you TRULY want in a mod. If you're not a fan of TC, I'd still say the DNA is the way to go. Customizing your own screens, setting preheat wattages, adjusting what increments the wattage/temperature adjusts in, it's all very fun for me. I guess some people don't like to deal with it but it helps me get the feeling that my mod is truly MY OWN. Something about vaping on a setup different than every one else's is just, nice I guess.

At the end of the day, the DNA is a modder's board. If you enjoy making your own devices, tinkering with every setting imaginable, getting every update that comes out, setting up battery profiles, adjusting TC curve profiles and everything under the sun on your mod, the DNA200 is the board with the most freedom for you out. If you just like to adjust and go, I could see how cheaper mods are more appealing.

On my custom 6,200mah 3S powered DNA. I had that box custom CNC milled to my exact specs. I didn't mill it myself, but I designed the blueprint for it. Then on the board, all the screens I made myself in GIMP, I have the battery profile set up in a manner that would make any electronics geek proud, I have every setting catered to my exact liking. Something about all this just really makes it YOUR mod, you know? It's like this mod is a Mikhail200, not a DNA200.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I can get through 8 TC profiles, change the temperature in increments of 1 degrees, lock the device, lock the ohm load, auto-detect TC or power mode and lock the wattage all by hand on the DNA. So it's pretty user friendly honestly. If you use hybrid-TC builds like I do (NiFE-30 Claptons, Kanthal/Nichel Hybrid builds, etc) there's no other device that can ever hybrid TC properly. The HOhm Wrecker says it can, but I tried for hours and frankly I beg to differ.

The big one it does other's do not is, well, efficiency. It's a far more accurate board than anything else out at a 97% efficiency mark.
You've got to set it up right for it to work, I and many other users on the G2 thread have used it without issues, just because you couldnt get it to work you cant really blame the mod. (waiting for know-it-all excuses)

I agree that the battery configuration changes that can be made is nice, but you need a PC just to set that up. Accuracy is nice but I think 98.8% efficiency is higher.....Other then that I dont see any real advantage over other chips.

Last edited:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
You've got to set it up right for it to work, I and many other users on the G2 thread have used it without issues, just because you couldnt get it to work you cant really blame the mod. (waiting for know-it-all excuses)

I agree that the battery configuration changes that can be made is nice, but you need a PC just to set that up. Accuracy is nice but I think 98.8% efficiency is higher.....Other then that I dont see any real advantage over other chips.

Oscilloscope tests prove the G2 is inaccurate even when 'working', and this is just on regular wattage mode. Just because your cotton isn't bursting into flames doesn't mean it's accurate. Accuracy means the world to me. In kanthal TC mode, on the most accurate dialed in setting, it was over 80F off the target mark. Hybrid kanthal/titanium builds wouldn't even begin to work, and I spent hours trying to get them to. I do blame the mod, kanthal by resistance is stagnant, there's not even a piece of technology out that can work with in properly in TC. This I know to be factual, this isn't an excuse. I can replicate the entirety of the kanthal TC on the G2 on a 15 minute made TCR curve in Escribe. Just because you're not getting dry hits doesn't mean the temperature of your coil is anywhere remotely near what your setting says it should be at.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
TC outside of Nickel, NiFE-30 and Titanium on ANY device, DNA200 or G2, is just 'Temp assume'.

-Accurate- (Key word) Temperature Control on Kanthal A1, Nichrome below the 160 grade, Any type of Stainless Steel besides 430 and 316L and various other wires doesn't exist RIGHT NOW.

That's my point. I'm not even really blaming the mod, I'm blaming manufacturers they claim that can use a resistance detection technology to accurately limit temperature using wires that were specifically made to have stagnant resistances inside heating elements (I'm talking pre-vaping days here) so the on-target current draw could always be calculated with good accuracy. It's a wire made to stay at a very stagnant resistance, and technology that limits temperature based on changes in wire resistance cannot accurately use it right now. If a mod came out that could do accurate TC on kanthal, it would cost upwards of $5,000 per unit. Because the amount of precision in that board would be a million dollar project to design.

Last edited:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'll just get the Dotmod or buy another Lavabox

Check out the LittUp Customs 44. 2,000mah 3S lipo. It's around $250, but it's worth every damned penny. The battery life off that thing is just graceful.

It'll probably be a few weeks before the new preorder opens, you gotta be patient for it, but for the price it's one of the BEST DNA200 mods on the market. MaxAmp makes some damned good batteries to, lifetime warranty, VERY high amp limits. Plus you could buy extras to easily swap in and out of this particular mod.

http://littupcustommods.com/44-Preorder-44PREORDER.htm

Last edited:

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check out the LittUp Customs 44. 2,000mah 3S lipo. It's around $250, but it's worth every damned penny. The battery life off that thing is just graceful.

It'll probably be a few weeks before the new preorder opens, you gotta be patient for it, but for the price it's one of the BEST DNA200 mods on the market. MaxAmp makes some damned good batteries to, lifetime warranty, VERY high amp limits. Plus you could buy extras to easily swap in and out of this particular mod.

http://littupcustommods.com/44-Preorder-44PREORDER.htm
I'd have more luck buying a fucking unicorn

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'll just get the Dotmod or buy another Lavabox

I'll just stick with cheap shit, and dial it in, and call it a day :D

Actually I ordered the sx450Q with what was left of my income tax return after giving 90% of it to the Cleveland Clinic to pay off my balance.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'd have more luck buying a fucking unicorn

At least a unicorn is easier to get than a fucking Tophat mod. $1,000 and an 8 month waiting list.

Actually I ordered the sx450Q with what was left of my income tax return after giving 90% of it to the Cleveland Clinic to pay off my balance.

Speaking of unicorns, I preordered that thing a month and a half ago and STILL haven't heard any real news on a ship date. I was in a conversation with some woman named Amy about this and she literal just STOPPED responding to my emails, then I sent two additional "Hey, you there?" type emails after that. Still radio silence from SX. My faith in this company dies a little more each month. Evolv has them sweating.

Last edited:

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hi Roxy!

Like the mod. Can't like the post with having to give most of your money to the Clinic

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'm starting to fear SX just stole our money on that preorder. The preorder started in like, late January. It's almost May and they keep pushing back the release date. It was supposed to be mid April as of latest, but I'd say the 19th is past 'mid' in a 30 day month. This is the third launch date they missed.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For all the time Yihi is taking, I'm expecting it to be spectacular.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
For all the time Yihi is taking, I'm expecting it to be spectacular.

I got to play with a prototype version a few weeks back at a convention. People were calling it the DNA200 for dummies. I'm not holding my breath anymore. It's literally just an ML Class that does '200' watts. Though to be accurate, anything over 165W will very likely be pulse-boost. Oh, Yihi. I still hope it blows me away, but that prototype made me die a little for what I paid on the pre-order.

Their latest excuse for putting off the release was to MAKE THE MOD WEIGH MORE. Because that's a monumental two month long task evidently.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm fine with it being a 2 battery ML class. Obviously, there's more too it than that or it would be out now.

I got 20% off doing preorder. Didn't you?

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'm fine with it being a 2 battery ML class. Obviously, there's more too it than that or it would be out now.

Yeah, but I was really let down by the ML class due to the problems mine had at launch. On the prototype, there honestly was nothing extra besides SX-Pure mode. Just a dual battery ML class with more wattage, they both use SX-Q software, which is nothing like Escribe. I guess if you like the SX brand it's a good mod, but to me, the DNA fanboy, it let me down. That was just the prototype, but the Yihi rep said that it was basically 95% identical to the intended retail mod.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years

I preordered one to, got the free batteries and 20% off :) But MNaumov92 is right! The DNA200 is The King of Boards/Mods right now :)
Yihi makes a good board, Don't get me wrong I have a few myself :) But the DNA200 is just sooooo much better!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
We'll see, guys. I'm not going to make any assumptions until I have it, and have put it through it's paces.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
We'll see, guys. I'm not going to make any assumptions until I have it, and have put it through it's paces.

Best stance to have. The retail mod could be ENTIRELY different to what we've seen.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I preordered one to, got the free batteries and 20% off :) But MNaumov92 is right! The DNA200 is The King of Boards/Mods right now :)
Yihi makes a good board, Don't get me wrong I have a few myself :) But the DNA200 is just sooooo much better!

And you were upset I was a little disappointed with the Supreme? Your judging this mod before you even have it ;)

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Aw shit, cracked the glass on my silver one tonight...trying to get top cap off and had the center section unscrew instead, went to tighten it back up with the aid of the vape tweezers as it was a slippery mess...grabbed it a bit to low and crunch.... doh! Thank goodness for spare :)

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
And you were upset I was a little disappointed with the Supreme? Your judging this mod before you even have it ;)
I'm going off the reviews I saw, it looks like an ML with 2 batteries :( My crew over "there" isn't too impressed with the Supreme :(
I'm still waiting, FT can be a Biach some times :(

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oscilloscope tests prove the G2 is inaccurate even when 'working', and this is just on regular wattage mode. Just because your cotton isn't bursting into flames doesn't mean it's accurate. Accuracy means the world to me. In kanthal TC mode, on the most accurate dialed in setting, it was over 80F off the target mark. Hybrid kanthal/titanium builds wouldn't even begin to work, and I spent hours trying to get them to. I do blame the mod, kanthal by resistance is stagnant, there's not even a piece of technology out that can work with in properly in TC. This I know to be factual, this isn't an excuse. I can replicate the entirety of the kanthal TC on the G2 on a 15 minute made TCR curve in Escribe. Just because you're not getting dry hits doesn't mean the temperature of your coil is anywhere remotely near what your setting says it should be at.
I never said the Kanthal TC was dead on accurate, that wattage was my concern. Where do you see it doing TC by resistance and resistance only? Anyways..Im done arguing with you...You love the DNA200 and I love the Hohm Wrecker....

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I never said the Kanthal TC was dead on accurate, that wattage was my concern. Where do you see it doing TC by resistance and resistance only? Anyways..Im done arguing with you...You love the DNA200 and I love the Hohm Wrecker....

Why do you have to see them as arguments? Why can't they just be fun debates? It's all just in good conjecture, man.

The G2 does TC the way most mods do, via TCR curves and electrical wire resistance pinging.

Let's take our perspective DNA and G2 mods and smash them against eachother violently to see who wins (survives).

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Why do you have to see them as arguments? Why can't they just be fun debates? It's all just in good conjecture, man.

The G2 does TC the way most mods do, via TCR curves and electrical wire resistance pinging.

Let's take our perspective DNA and G2 mods and smash them against eachother violently to see who wins (survives).
Because I have kids and all I hear all day is "fun debates", I dont have time or the energy to have my own as its EXHAUSTING just to listen to it. Kids have been home for the week and I already feel the need to shine the barrels and cock the hammers.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, I've certainly learned a lot and feel better prepared if I ever needed to start vaping off of a battery from a front end loader

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Word. Looks cool, but its a very minimal change. If it was a more drastic change I might have bought another one like with the Alleria, but hell, I might get a black one anyway to accompany my SS one. lol

And good looks on the Omvapors coupon code, I was checking them out a couple weeks ago and had shit in the cart and was like "Nah, I gotta save some money", 70% off tho Ima grab a few 120s

VU Sponsors