Become a Patron!

The Daily Mixing Thread

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple of days ago I worked up a remix of Backyard Vanilla, so named because what I had in my mind at the time was the vanilla of homemade, hand-cranked ice cream (actually, ice MILK) like we used to make in my Uncle John's back yard when I was five or six years old.

I'm being lazy, to tell the truth. Hubbs got my flavors cabinet out from behind the massive recliner last week, but good grief, it's been SO EASY just mixing out of this pared-down set of flavors that I've accumulated in one box. So I did a remix using just a few of those flavors.

It could use a little something else, but it's ok. Main ingredients are FA Custard, TFA Vanillin, and FA Vanilla Tahity. 10% flavors. Have to ponder for a bit - I'm not sure what else would complement a true, basic vanilla. It may come around on its own after it steeps for a week or so. Or maybe I should hit it with 1% of TFA or FW Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

I think I'll give it a few more days.
I feel like TFA VBIC is probably more buttery than what you are going for. I've never had the FW, so I can't say. TFA Vanilla Swirl might work.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A couple of days ago I worked up a remix of Backyard Vanilla, so named because what I had in my mind at the time was the vanilla of homemade, hand-cranked ice cream (actually, ice MILK) like we used to make in my Uncle John's back yard when I was five or six years old.

I'm being lazy, to tell the truth. Hubbs got my flavors cabinet out from behind the massive recliner last week, but good grief, it's been SO EASY just mixing out of this pared-down set of flavors that I've accumulated in one box. So I did a remix using just a few of those flavors.

It could use a little something else, but it's ok. Main ingredients are FA Custard, TFA Vanillin, and FA Vanilla Tahity. 10% flavors. Have to ponder for a bit - I'm not sure what else would complement a true, basic vanilla. It may come around on its own after it steeps for a week or so. Or maybe I should hit it with 1% of TFA or FW Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

I think I'll give it a few more days.
I’d definitely go with the FW. I can’t do the TFA(peppery), but if I’m remembering correctly, FW is more soft serve? Ish?

I might also swap the Tahiti for Vanilla bourbon or Madagascar. Doesn’t Tahiti have a spice note?

Shisha vanilla, maybe?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I’d definitely go with the FW. I can’t do the TFA(peppery), but if I’m remembering correctly, FW is more soft serve? Ish?

I might also swap the Tahiti for Vanilla bourbon or Madagascar. Doesn’t Tahiti have a spice note?

Shisha vanilla, maybe?

Flavour Art's website says that Tahity has an almond undertone. That actually might be what's derailing this mix. Next time I mix it, I'll go with Madagascar.

Now that I'm reading up on Madagascar, I'm not sure that would be the right choice either. Rats.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanks. i'm looking forward to trying it.

But, I'm puzzled. If you don't have it written down, how do you duplicate the recipe when it runs out?
I'll post it tomorrow (don't actually have it written down) It also had some HS USA mix that I don't really like so dropped that in my recent version.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But, I'm puzzled. If you don't have it written down, how do you duplicate the recipe when it runs out?
Long story (and why I waited to post the recipe) For my tobacco mix, I use an odd method (basically mix most ingredients at "full strength" for a 10 ml batch) then add 20 ml of unflavored base (so everything ends up half) I waited until I could try my new version (without HS USA mix) It's nice but almost too "desert" so will post the original recipe with that included. It's going to be way over 100 deg F today... have to do the lawns, got a late start, so will really try to do the math and post this evening. I'm glad you asked because I will be making much larger batches of this (it's one I always have on hand) and it's about time I wrote this down. Thank you for your patience. All my other recipes I have written down in actual %. Yes... I really need to get my mixing methods together (and make larger batches of all of them)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@newyork13 , here's my best guess:
FA Soho 2 %
PUR sweet tobacco 3 %
HS USA mix 2 %
FW salted caramel 2 %
SSA madagascar vanilla 1.5 %
Might go a bit higher on FA Soho and PUR sweet tobacco. Use any caramel/vanilla you want (or even butterscotch) My last mix I left out HS USA mix and just used more FA Soho. If you have any basic tobacco flavor, sub it or just leave it out for a really "desert" mix. PUR sweet tobacco is mostly a mellow "pipe tobacco" with lots of nutty notes. FA Soho is complex and that is why I love it.
Just as a reference, FA Soho is at least 3 % solo (but I love it so like it to dominate the mix) PUR sweet tobacco is weak (over 6 % solo) but is a wonderful flavor to use (adds a mellow tobacco and nutty flavor)
Hey... better late than never. feedback welcome.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@VapeOn1960
Thanks for posting that. I'll give it a try when I next mix up a batch of juices, since I like those flavors.
Interesting to me is the %'s of the Soho and Pur.
In the two juices I've enjoyed (Soho and Pur were in two different mixes), I used twice that amount of them. The end results are strongly flavored (but happy for me), so I'm looking forward to trying the combination of the two at a lesser % to see how it works out.
Never had the USA mix, so I'll follow your suggestion about subbing more Soho.
I also have the Salted Caramel. But, funningly enough, I don't recall why I got it, nor ever tried a mix with it. So, this'll be the first.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for posting that. I'll give it a try when I next mix up a batch of juices, since I like those flavors.
Interesting to me is the %'s of the Soho and Pur.
I used to mix them stronger (on other people say I mix too strong) and ended up diluting the mix. Use a bit more (It's still good) If you have vanilla, use that too. This has been an ongoing experiment so I keep trying different ratios (one reason I never settled in on a recipe) You will like the caramel. Now that I've been vaping the new mix (without HS USA mix) I like it... it sounds like you also like a "desert" tobacco (there are no rules... I never tried to re-create a real burning cig... most juices that do that taste like ashtray... yuck!) I love the "nutty" aspect of PUR sweet tobacco (and even the tobacco is more like a mellow pipe tobacco) FA Soho is really good ( complex and rumor is it even has NETs in it) I tried to lower % in my recipe but normally mix higher. All tobacco recipes need a steep, but a couple weeks in enough.

newyork13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, I absolutely like dessert tobaccos. But, I'm also a fan of NETs.
I agree with you about the ashtray taste being off-putting. But, there are NETs which don't.

I'll let you know how it goes, but won't be mixing for a couple of weeks.

Have you used the Salted Caramel for anything else?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I finally tried my SFT of MB lemon tart... not bad. It tastes very similar to the lemon cookie I make (I'm getting cookie not pie crust which is fine... now I can save my lemon flavors for another fav recipe of mine) It's been steeping almost 2 weeks and might need a small boost of lemon (and just a bit of WF flapper pie)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Mixed up a reworked version of my Caramel Waffle Cappuccino this morning:

Brazilian Coffee (SC) (WF) 0.75%
Caramel (Caramello) (FA) 1.25%
Cornish Cream (SSA) 1.5%
French Toast (FE) 1.75%
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla (TPA) 1%
Maple Deluxe (TPA) 0.75%
Super Sweet (CAP) 0.75%

Total flavors: 7.75%

Vapable right away (WF BC almost always is, imo) but I can tell it will be better in four or five days. Don't think there's anything in here that needs a long steep. Tastes much like my old CWC that had twice as much flavoring and twice as many different flavors in it, but not quite as creamy. I'll give it a few days, might have to bump it with some TFA VS or FVD, maybe 1.25%.

Note that I've never tried TSLA's CWC, this is just my own take on the profile. Not trying to make a clone.

Also placed a good-sized (for me) order with Bull City. Thanks @gopher_byrd !!!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mixed up a reworked version of my Caramel Waffle Cappuccino this morning:
Hey wait a minute... no waffle flavor? I assume the FT covers that. Developed has a really good video about the 100 must have flavors and they argued about having a waffle... Max insisted that funnel cake was better (I forget what brand) I'll try to find that.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So it turns out the french toast s'mores is better today. I had added berries to the batch I already had and didn't shake it enough. Now it seems to have a better balance. I suspect it was the WF bumbleberry causing issues (in the past, if I mix it a little too strong it gets weird) The other berry flavor was WF boysenberry raspberry and it's always great! I may just stop using bumbleberry.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have Cap Funnel Cake but don't care for it. It tastes "greasy" to me - very, very heavy on the fried note. To be more accurate, it tastes like something that's been fried in old oil.

Yes, the FT is in place of the waffle. I wanted the little cinnamon note that's in the FT. I have been assembling a few recipes out of a subset of flavors that I can easily get to since my mail flavors storage unit has been unavailable for a while. My other recipe uses LB Belgian Waffle, I believe. I'll have to give this new mix a few days and see how it does - now that I've vaped it all afternoon, I'm not sure I like it very much, but we'll see.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have Cap Funnel Cake but don't care for it. It tastes "greasy" to me - very, very heavy on the fried note. To be more accurate, it tastes like something that's been fried in old oil.
Thanks for the heads up on that... think I'll pass. What about FA zeppola (something I've considered trying)? Not suggesting it for your recipe... just asking if it's also too "greasy".

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That's a lot of flavors but sounds good. Maybe doesn't need the marshmallow (or did you mean for us to suggest which ones from that list to use?)
Neither. Just posting my order and that I'm going to go for an apple dessert with those 2 apples [3 actually since one is two] with other flavors I have on hand, maybe including something else from the list.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks for the heads up on that... think I'll pass. What about FA zeppola (something I've considered trying)? Not suggesting it for your recipe... just asking if it's also too "greasy".

I don't have an issue at all with FA Zeppola. Have used it as high as 4% in a glazed pastry recipe, it actually subbed well in the place of Cap glazed donut.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How do you guys supply yourselves with nicotine base nowadays? My only option right now is to buy a 50mg strength pod e-liquid for outrageous price (costs more for a 30mL bottle of this as what I paid for a 120mL bottle of 100mg/mL nic base a couple years ago)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
How do you guys supply yourselves with nicotine base nowadays? My only option right now is to buy a 50mg strength pod e-liquid for outrageous price (costs more for a 30mL bottle of this as what I paid for a 120mL bottle of 100mg/mL nic base a couple years ago)

I responded in another thread - try www.nicbase.com if you haven't already. Good luck!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But when I get the order and update my stash and post it, you can suggest if you wanna
Do you happen to have WF crumble topping? That seems very popular (was browsing around ATF and lot's of recipes) I have also heard many good comments on several forums.
On a sidenote: I have tried my peach pie and apple pie with both ice cream and custard. For some reason, peach is better with ice cream and apple with custard.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My current goal is to find better uses for TFA acai ( to me it's like the grape that I actually like... if that makes sense) I know it mixes well with darker berries but hoping to find another niche for it.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had tried both acai and orange marmalade in PB and J recipes... guess it's not my thing (even boysenberry)
Going to try s'mores with peanut butter next. I have many ideas but need a few more flavors (coconut, butterscotch, maple, zeppola, blueberry (holding out for VSO) Crumble topping, and finally going to get some sweetener (interested in FLV sweetness) The never ending wish list...

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Don't have crumble topping.

Of the 2 diff apples, ATM I'm thinking 3 parts filling and 1 part Ina.
Maybe a lil TPA pie crust if needed.
Plus whatever else I dream up :idea:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Just thinking out loud here.
I will try filling first he add the other apple if I think it needs it, then add rest incrementally while trying it in between..
I've saved this for reference, so anyone can make changes if they want.
I'm thinking Yogurt too. working apple
1656989966481.png

Last edited:

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't have crumble topping.

Of the 2 diff apples, ATM I'm thinking 3 parts filling and 1 part Ina.
Maybe a lil TPA pie crust if needed.
Plus whatever else I dream up :idea:
Go light on the apple filling. It is strong. Definitely don't do 3-1 more like 1-3

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just thinking out loud here.
I will try filling first he add the other apple if I think it needs it, then add rest incrementally while trying it in between..
I've saved this for reference, so anyone can make changes if they want.
I'm thinking Yogurt too. working apple
View attachment 194700
I don't have any experience with INW 2 apples, but I would ask what it is you're going for here. Are you looking for something like a caramel apple pie? My initial thought is that the crust aspect is going to get drowned out by the buttercream and caramel. I took a look at your flavor stash and I think FA Cookie is a pretty good pie crust enhancer even if it isn't a great cookie (but that's beside the point), if graham crust is what you're going for, stick with the FW Graham Cracker.

If I were making this, I'd try something like this

FLV Apple Filling - 1%
INW Two Apples - 2%
FA Caramel - 1%
FA Butterscotch - 1%
*either not both* FW Graham Cracker - 1.5% OR FA Cookie - 0.75%
Cap Butter Cream - 1% (I'm assuming you're using this to add a buttercream frosting flavor accent and if that is the case, I think I would keep it at 1% )
TPA Pie Crust - 1.5-2%

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Are you looking for something like a caramel apple pie? (I'm assuming you're using this to add a buttercream frosting flavor accent and if that is the case, I think I would keep it at 1% )
Pretty much. Hint of caramel and some gooiness like cobbler.

But idk if I have anything to lean it towards cobbler, if needed. Why I mentioned yogurt. Also have milk, cream, bavarian cream, or a combination. Frosting accent wasn't where I was going but a little seems ok. But more about cobblery lol.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty much. Hint of caramel and some gooiness like cobbler.

But idk if I have anything to lean it towards cobbler, if needed. Why I mentioned yogurt. Also have milk, cream, bavarian cream, or a combination. Frosting accent wasn't where I was going but a little seems ok. But more about cobblery lol.
I think buttercream will probably lend itself to more of like thick cream on the side of a cobbler. What I think of is this blueberry cobbler I got last fall from a bakery around here with a side of whipped cream, but it was thick and almost ice-cream-like whipped cream. Buttercream could work for that. I have had almost 0 luck making an actual crunchy cobbler-like topping. I have the WF Crumble Topping, but even that isn't perfect. Graham cracker could probably help to simulate something like that. It's a hard thing to do.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Everything I've made so far, which isn't much, has been 10-12%.
If I do this @ 7.4 I'd have room to increase something or add another if need be.
I pick up on that cookie pretty quick, so I lowered it to .4

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/4307376/working+apple

A couple thoughts around pecan.
- Sub butter cream for butter pecan
- Include buttercream, add roasted pecan
- No buttercream:
add butter pecan, and cream or bavarian cream or marshmallow - or
add roasted pecan, golden butter, and something creamy

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@Vape Fan I think the flavor that will do what you want is FA Liquid Amber. Maybe @wildgypsy70 can elaborate. I have the flavor but haven't used it, but I do recall reading several different times about FALA lending that "cooked" quality to apples and other, similar fruits. The caramel and butterscotch accents are good ideas, too, and I believe could stand alongside the FALA just fine.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Vape Fan I think the flavor that will do what you want is FA Liquid Amber. Maybe @wildgypsy70 can elaborate. I have the flavor but haven't used it, but I do recall reading several different times about FALA lending that "cooked" quality to apples and other, similar fruits. The caramel and butterscotch accents are good ideas, too, and I believe could stand alongside the FALA just fine.
Oh, hello.

Yes, FA liquid amber will “cook” an apple. But the apple filling is already “cooked”. It will add a syrupy aspect to the Apple Filling, but the caramel will do something similar. You could experiment and use one or the other or both to see what you like the best. You don’t need to use either terribly high….start at 0.5 and work your way up.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I may get LA one of these days.
The only syrup I have have is maple.

Maple is good on everything, right?
I can see it now, a caramel butterscotch maple syrup blend.
:D

That is some serious yumminess you're talking about there. Add Cap Glazed Donut! And Vanilla Whipped Cream!

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everything I've made so far, which isn't much, has been 10-12%.
If I do this @ 7.4 I'd have room to increase something or add another if need be.
I pick up on that cookie pretty quick, so I lowered it to .4

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/4307376/working+apple

A couple thoughts around pecan.
- Sub butter cream for butter pecan
- Include buttercream, add roasted pecan
- No buttercream:
add butter pecan, and cream or bavarian cream or marshmallow - or
add roasted pecan, golden butter, and something creamy
I wouldn't worry so much about what your total flavor percentage is coming out to. Sure you don't want to over-flavor, but you also don't need to put yourself in the box of staying between 10-12%. If you're really only looking for the LA to cook your apples, just do yourself a favor and get PUR Country Apple instead. It is a very very good cooked apple flavor. I have liquid amber and I think I've used it maybe twice.

On another note I've got some new flavors coming that I can't wait to get.

WF Sour Watermelon, pancake, summertime lemonade, sugar pie
FLV Blue Raz
VT Pudding base and Vanilla Classic
TFA Nectarine

edit: this puts me at a whopping 395 flavors! should've order 5 more to hit 400 but I didn't realize how close I was

- thanks to @VapeOn1960 for the video I ended up adding a few things to my bcf order that they mentioned in there but I didn't already have.

VU Sponsors