Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eh, i think that chart is a little thin, the 80's were the 'me' generation and i usually consider millenials to be born a little later in the 80's, like 85. And i also thought that ppl born in the 60's were a different generation than baby boomers

Thats just imho, not arguing, just i remember the yuppy generation as being distinct from baby boomers and gen x

I was thinking "millennials" belonged to the crossing over from 20th to 21st century, so how does that generation end in 1996?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of text that says 'Who was a baby boomer 1946-1964''Who was a baby boomer 1946-1964'

I was ;)
Generation X here. I think we brought back Hemingway's "Lost Generation". I was born in 1972. My uncle "Buddy" told me "they" said the Vietnam War was officially over in 1973, "don't you believe 'em."

Have come to the firm belief the only cause of war any longer is transferring wealth amongst the affluent, in disguise. It only serves to fill banker coffers, banks are corporations. Corporations are legal fictions, that are now treated as living beings, existing to only get more money with no regard how it is done.

War was an ancient Phoenician word that roughly translated to "get more cattle". In the modern world, we got Human Resources, chattel bought and sold. Human labor backs up currency, raw, pure energy. Folks seem to forget this kind of stuff, or become apathetic to it.

Ah, but, I digress. Veering off from good memories. I recall gathering field and water cress with my grandma. We gathered walnuts in the Autumn. Been feeling like Autumn recently here. Remember going into a cave by a rail line by grandma's. A bear used it well enough, but it wasn't in there when I was. The cave led off into my uncle Buddy's mile and half long "tunnel rat" playground.

I'm still claustrophobic, even after facing that a few times as a boy. And no, it didn't cause the claustrophobia. My uncle was trying to make me face it, get over it by putting me in the tunnel. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It was still a good time, I learned basic army infantry and thought it was kids games the way uncle Buddy taught me. I had all kinds of fun. :)

No, I'm not Rambo, not by any means. I just grew up around a lot of military, police, emergency service types, and service types. Yep, I've worked various different stuff enough so to earn an honorable title of roughneck. But, I'm an old dog now. Don't "go" like I used to go. *smh* 12 to 15 years, I'll get retreaded. Yay. *Steven Segal smiling face*

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Eh, i think that chart is a little thin, the 80's were the 'me' generation and i usually consider millenials to be born a little later in the 80's, like 85. And i also thought that ppl born in the 60's were a different generation than baby boomers

Thats just imho, not arguing, just i remember the yuppy generation as being distinct from baby boomers and gen x
We had plenty of yuppies around when I was in high school. I hated them with a purple passion. Bastards thought everything was owed to them. I got sent to the principal's office just for giving "the death glare" to one that pissed me off. They scared too easily.

Here's a song that reminds me of yuppies I dealt with

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I was thinking "millennials" belonged to the crossing over from 20th to 21st century, so how does that generation end in 1996?
That was my point, born in 80 seems a little early, i usually think of ppl born after 85, graduating hs after 2000

Edit- i would scroll back and check, maybe i mistyped, but, unmotivated, the me generation was definitely a thing tho and inbetween boomers and gen x, wutever tho,

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That was my point, born in 80 seems a little early, i usually think of ppl born after 85, graduating hs after 2000

Edit- i would scroll back and check, maybe i mistyped, but, unmotivated, the me generation was definitely a thing tho and inbetween boomers and gen x, wutever tho,
I was just remembering. The term for the assholes at the time was "preppies". The preppies later became the yuppies. Same assholes, just a few years down the road.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I know they call this gen z (because someone lacked imagination) but it is the 'like' generation

Everything is done for likes, your personal value, even for employment sometimes, is based on how many followers u have, its disgusting

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just remembering. The term for the assholes at the time was "preppies". The preppies later became the yuppies. Same assholes, just a few years down the road.
Shit fire! Brings back memories. We had preps, jocks, rednecks, others in our high school days. One of the jocks tried hitting on one of the redneck's girlfriend. She told him to get lost. He called her a whore. Big mistake.

This particular redneck had gotten versed in about four different black belts, and was a bit hm, lacking mentally. He took special ed classes and had learning disabilities. Yes, the martial arts actually helped him. At the same time, he was a registered lethal weapon by the magistrate's office.

He hit a window with one finger. Didn't matter it was safety glass, two panned, had chicken wire, the whole thing shattered. The wire flew out with the glass. He could not fight the jock. He literally would have killed him, so much as breathe on him.

So, the rednecks went to the jocks over it. All the jocks but two of the guy's buddies backed away, pointed to him. By then the preppies had raised a stink, cops come in to disperse us. It was alright though. The score got settled by someone the fellow with the girlfriend chose, in a back lot across from the school. Fair fight. All the cops did was watch, tell everyone to move off once it ended.

The jock got hit six times before he even had a chance to throw one. He then hit a third time on the ground. The boy with his girlfriend nodded, it was done. The guy he chose helped the jock back to his feet, turned him toward his buddies. Cops saw we had all started moving off but still hollered, "it's done, go on away. Thank you."

The fellow he chose was a friend of mine, Lee. Lee was just a pure country redneck. Shame he wound up killing himself a few years later, not over this, however.

Everyone knew it was done before it started. They just wanted the satisfaction of seeing it, seeing the guy own up, realize his mistake.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know they call this gen z (because someone lacked imagination) but it is the 'like' generation

Everything is done for likes, your personal value, even for employment sometimes, is based on how many followers u have, its disgusting
Awe, I really like that. ;) :p :D :) Hehe.
@Frogger, I had to, indeed, yes. :D

Last edited:

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like, I don't, like, know why you would, like, call a generation, like, the 'like' generation because, like, it's, like, good to, like, 'like' things and people should, like, y'know, 'like' more things that they like and, like, if they don't like a thing, like, they should, like, just not, like, use it or, like, whatever, and a person shouldn't, like, be down on a, like, whole generation just, like, because they, like, want to get 'likes' and like, things like 'likes' because, like, a 'like' means people, like, want more of the same, like, thing that they 'liked' when they, like, 'liked' it in the, like, first place and, like, whatever.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Cars like the one pictured below still had those in them. Ingeniously, we figured out they worked well for 8-track tape holders. I suspect more than enough already figured out they are sardine troughs. :D

1693745513280.jpeg

My mom ran one of these hardtops that was black on to white on back top quarters. It was a four-door sedan style, though. Even back then, such a "boat" chugged the fuel. Worth it to set down on it and hear it roar, feel it haunch down and leap forward.

And talk about trunk space? We could get six bodies not even folded up in it and still close the hatch. Oh, it made things a lot easier. *nodding, winking, waves at the $700 suited nice NSA guys*

Stepdad had a mechanic buddy bore out the Hemi that was in it stock from Ford. Yes, it was a damn Hemi, Mo Poar bitch, despite Ford protesting it wasn't. Think every beer swilling wrench knew better. *smh* Mom could outrun the cops in it, until they started tossing Hemis in Crown Vics.

And then the "good ol' boys' said F it and started loading up Super Sport/s with Nox, taking a 455 Hemi to 460, 460.5. Bore it out more than that and your heads would jump out, well if you had a motor left after starting it. LOL V8 rolling pipe bombs.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like, I don't, like, know why you would, like, call a generation, like, the 'like' generation because, like, it's, like, good to, like, 'like' things and people should, like, y'know, 'like' more things that they like and, like, if they don't like a thing, like, they should, like, just not, like, use it or, like, whatever, and a person shouldn't, like, be down on a, like, whole generation just, like, because they, like, want to get 'likes' and like, things like 'likes' because, like, a 'like' means people, like, want more of the same, like, thing that they 'liked' when they, like, 'liked' it in the, like, first place and, like, whatever.
Like so valley ya know? Hehehe

Or, as Palm Coast says, "oh, so wash."

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Its about when u came of age i thought, high school, college, first job, etc. I usually consider gen z to be those who have never really known a world without smartphones for instance, millenials to be the ones in school coming of age when all that technology started exploding. Coming of age in the 2000's...the naughties (thats what 00-10 ive heard called)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm smack in the middle of the baby boom. Actually part of the Korean War baby boomlet.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember when all soda pop came in returnable glass bottles
At first they came out in a six pack like the picture below then some went to 8 packs.
I can still remember as a kid walkin to the store with my Nickle to get a bottle of soda pop

May be an image of text

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember when all soda pop came in returnable glass bottles
At first they came out in a six pack like the picture below then some went to 8 packs.
I can still remember as a kid walkin to the store with my Nickle to get a bottle of soda pop

May be an image of text
I still remember spending time on summer days when I was little, collecting bottles for the deposit, and buying snacks with the money. I think it was right around 1980 when they stopped all that in most states.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Cars like the one pictured below still had those in them. Ingeniously, we figured out they worked well for 8-track tape holders. I suspect more than enough already figured out they are sardine troughs. :D

View attachment 208354

My mom ran one of these hardtops that was black on to white on back top quarters. It was a four-door sedan style, though. Even back then, such a "boat" chugged the fuel. Worth it to set down on it and hear it roar, feel it haunch down and leap forward.

And talk about trunk space? We could get six bodies not even folded up in it and still close the hatch. Oh, it made things a lot easier. *nodding, winking, waves at the $700 suited nice NSA guys*

Stepdad had a mechanic buddy bore out the Hemi that was in it stock from Ford. Yes, it was a damn Hemi, Mo Poar bitch, despite Ford protesting it wasn't. Think every beer swilling wrench knew better. *smh* Mom could outrun the cops in it, until they started tossing Hemis in Crown Vics.

And then the "good ol' boys' said F it and started loading up Super Sport/s with Nox, taking a 455 Hemi to 460, 460.5. Bore it out more than that and your heads would jump out, well if you had a motor left after starting it. LOL V8 rolling pipe bombs.
What car is that?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I must be antique :facepalm: I can remember sodas in the machines that were 5 cents, I don't know what they were in the stores, we always got a cold one outta the machine:giggle:
And always in glass bottles with an opener on the machine. No twist offs or pull tabs back then

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What car is that?
1973 Ford Mercury Cougar. And yes, for a time even coupe sedans were decent, "drive it like you stole it" rides. Mom got rid of hers after fighting the automatic steering three times on an ice skid. A state trooper who come just behind her told her she did a hell of a job trying to keep it out of the ditch. It finally wrapped the front end into a phone pole.

Hint regarding ice skids. You never touch the brakes, and you go with the skid. That sounds counterintuitive and is, but it is what you need to do to pull out of it safely. Mom did it three times, but the steering over corrected, and it banked it right back into a skid, going the opposite direction. She had no choice but to just "let go".

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And always in glass bottles with an opener on the machine. No twist offs or pull tabs back then
It gave personality to life, sad to see all this change.

Ok gonna go off on one of my when I was young stories :rolleyes:
I'll always remember when I was a kid the whole class would go on a field trip or to any special event like school pic-nic, yes back then every year there was a school pic-nic, and they would tell all the students to bring a lunch, which in those days was always a sandwich chips and if you were lucky a cookie, and something to drink. Well back then like Goph just said there was only cans that required a can opener and I was knows for loosin every opener sent with me:facepalm: so I had to have it on a string around my neck.

May be an image of text that says 'It wasn't 'Real Sundae' unless you opened the Hershey's Syrup Can with a church key.. Old school. Had to use a can opener. HERSHEYS SYRUP NET WT. 5.5 OZS. GENUINE CHOCOI ATE FLAVOR FLA'

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I must be antique :facepalm: I can remember sodas in the machines that were 5 cents, I don't know what they were in the stores, we always got a cold one outta the machine:giggle:
I must be as dusty as you, then. Can recall nickle pop machines with cold ones in glass bottles. Also recall gathering bottles for deposits, penny candies. Used to get wax lips, candy cigarettes, some bubble gum for a whopping quarter. See candy bars now going for $2 if you're lucky. Forget drinks at about $2 to $4 per half liter. And yes, in plastic bottles no less. *smh*

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'll always remember when I was a kid the whole class would go on a field trip or to any special event like school pic-nic, yes back then every year there was a school pic-nic, and they would tell all the students to bring a lunch, which in those days was always a sandwich chips and if you were lucky a cookie, and something to drink. Well back then like Goph just said there was only cans that required a can opener and I was knows for loosin every opener sent with me:facepalm: so I had to have it on a string around my neck.
The field trip I remember was to Rosarita then on to Arnolds pickle plant. I literally got caught with my hand in the pickle jar(wood keg). We went home with a can of Rosarita Refried Beans and a Jar of Arnold's Pickles lol.
Arnolds started in Az in 1909, merged in 1980, then bought by a food co.
Rosarita 1940's - present. I hand mexican flavored ground beef, cheese, and Rosarita refried beans, with Salsa on tortillas a few days ago....:bliss:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I must be as dusty as you, then. Can recall nickle pop machines with cold ones in glass bottles. Also recall gathering bottles for deposits, penny candies. Used to get wax lips, candy cigarettes, some bubble gum for a whopping quarter. See candy bars now going for $2 if you're lucky. Forget drinks at about $2 to $4 per half liter. And yes, in plastic bottles no less. *smh*
I can remember candy bars were a Nickle, the ones that are 2 bucks now :crazy:
The greed is so bad they haveta cheat kids outta candy by makin it so high priced:mad:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 6 people and text

When I was a kid, yes here he goes again :rolleyes: , the school would always have us kids tryin to peddle magazines, then later in the years they started pushin candy. Sellin the magazines were hard, they would tempt you with prises for sellin certain amounts and everyone would be all gung-ho at the start but after the first week or 2 we'd realize that we'd haveta sell magazines the rest of our life to get anything, my how the young can be deceived

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 6 people and text

When I was a kid, yes here he goes again :rolleyes: , the school would always have us kids tryin to peddle magazines, then later in the years they started pushin candy. Sellin the magazines were hard, they would tempt you with prises for sellin certain amounts and everyone would be all gung-ho at the start but after the first week or 2 we'd realize that we'd haveta sell magazines the rest of our life to get anything, my how the young can be deceived
It seems that was early training for telemarketing. I had a job selling stuff over the phone for a while, and I was damned good at it.... probably because I got good at selling crap like magazines, cards, and books to people when I was little.

On the flip side... these days, it's all begging for money, while offering nothing in return. I tried working for a company like that, and got fired on the 1st day because I couldn't convince anyone to just give me money.

It's one thing to be able to sell ice to an Eskimo, but at least there is an actual product.

VU Sponsors