Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Every household had one of these when I was a kid

No photo description available.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We are shopping for a new washing machine (many have fancy features we don't want or need) I remember when a washer just had two knobs and lasted for many many years. Can you imagine telling someone way back when that some day they will able to control their washer with a phone? They would have said "that's crazy!"

I would dearly love to have something like this.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 207622
The IBM Personal Computer came out about 40 years ago now.
That a pic of a computer is suitable for The Good Old Times is both mind boggling & disturbing.
It was about that time, I was taking a computer programming class on an Apple McIntosh station using a floppy disc to store data... with the warning not to attempt to hack into the mainframe system, which took up another room.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup this is how the dinner table looked back in the day, kinda makes you feel comfy

May be an image of indoors

My kitchen had those flooring tiles when we moved in.
Reminded me of my Mimmy's kitchen. Only difference being it was about three times larger. All the family would sit for a meal around the table. Mimmy had been a cook / waitress at Woolworth's.

It was way back when the company didn't care what the 'girls' made up as long as they took care of customers well. As a result, each different store had its own unique 'flavor'. Mainly it was 'Old World' home cooking short order, or MTO style.

This was carried over into her family home with PawPaw, except there was no short ordering, breakfast, lunch, supper. If you missed one, Mimmy might fix you a snack, but only if asked her politely and PawPaw agreed.

Of course, her idea of a snack was a full meal in and of itself. The regular meals often had three courses and kids waiting on permission to be excused from adults. If you ever left hungry, quite literally, it was your own doings.

Mimmy's family was a very old Dutch nobility. Never concerned us too much, save for once when I visited Disneyland. An agent came and sat by me at a Mickey Mouse Club taping. "You're Mimmy is related to the First Family," he told me. The Bush grandchildren had also come to the taping, we were later told.

Never delved into the genealogy, mom did though and assured us there were interconnections. She never revealed them because that was a private matter for Mimmy. Mimmy never spoke much of it other than a dismissive, "they had cousins, is all." No one pressed, as we saw it flustered her.

I miss breakfasts with her & PawPaw, while he and I rallied to work all day on the farm. By age 8 he had me running his "Ferggy" tractor to run fence line. He would always show me how he wanted something done, admonishing me that I could find a way that worked for myself, just have the results he asked to get. I was a very good mimic.

Swore he never had any trouble from me. At the same time, I lost count of the switches I fetched him. He appreciated some of my joking around, then some, well, he let me know it was time to work. He was of 'Old World' German stock.

I and him split dump truck load trucks of firewood with axes and mauls, spikes, wedges one day. Think it was three, although it was more likely two. I know the next day we were both sore, he brought liniment up, and we got 'dosed', ricked up the wood. "Work will take the pain out of you, boy," he said.

Looking back, can admire how damn correct he was in more ways than one. Yes, I miss those breakfasts in the quiet pre-dawn hours. Mimmy fussing I was up too early, him checking I had my pocket knife, a bandana. He let me drink coffee despite Mim's protests. "He's going to do a man's work, he can have a man's drink." Oh yeah, really do miss them and our time.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Well, you'd be hard pressed to convince me it isn't better now that all the pajamas aren't printed with pink poodles (women) or race cars (men), or whatever kitsch, so we can wear them for errands, and working at home. My pj's are carefully chosen so that when I leave the house I just have to put on a bra underneath, and when I get home, ditch the bra. Comfort prevails at the bank, post office, grocery store, etc. If a client knocks on the door I'm not wearing some tacky leopard print pajamas.

This is my favorite second hand Ralph Lauren nightshirt. I hunted like mad to get it in all the colors, so now I have one gray, one black and one navy. You have to be careful shopping Ebay and thrift shops because some of these were made of poly-cotton (very unusual for RL), others in 100 percent cotton, and I only want the pure cotton. They go with various plain pajama pants.

Lauren sleep shirt.JPG

I'm sure I'm giving out TMI, but I spent so many years spending on street clothes for work, changing to comfy things when I got home, then changing into nightclothes at night, having three times the volume of laundry because of it, I'm convinced: Pajamas Forever!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Comfort prevails at the bank, post office, grocery store, etc.

Can agree with that sentiment. We have in county schools service people and professional people.

Service people like me just need to be sure our comfy clothes are clean and presentable. Professional people like teachers, aides and so on have to deck out in suits or "business casual".

At six foot tall and weighing three hundred pounds, it is difficult finding "big and tall" pants of a size fifty waist that fit and are comfortable. Prefer my sweatpants with draw strings, and triple to quad extra large t-shirts for "working" clothes.

Would love having bucks to buy some micro-fleece tactical double gusseted cargo pants, camouflage or plain OD green. Not bragging, but it is nice to have room in the loin area to move and breathe.

So yes, I can agree to wearing comfortable clothing. Might not quite be wholehearted into pajamas, then again the VC during 'Nam got by wearing them. Yep, go comfy power.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well, you'd be hard pressed to convince me it isn't better now that all the pajamas aren't printed with pink poodles (women) or race cars (men), or whatever kitsch, so we can wear them for errands, and working at home. My pj's are carefully chosen so that when I leave the house I just have to put on a bra underneath, and when I get home, ditch the bra. Comfort prevails at the bank, post office, grocery store, etc. If a client knocks on the door I'm not wearing some tacky leopard print pajamas.

This is my favorite second hand Ralph Lauren nightshirt. I hunted like mad to get it in all the colors, so now I have one gray, one black and one navy. You have to be careful shopping Ebay and thrift shops because some of these were made of poly-cotton (very unusual for RL), others in 100 percent cotton, and I only want the pure cotton. They go with various plain pajama pants.

View attachment 207888

I'm sure I'm giving out TMI, but I spent so many years spending on street clothes for work, changing to comfy things when I got home, then changing into nightclothes at night, having three times the volume of laundry because of it, I'm convinced: Pajamas Forever!
Im bettin there is some nice neiman marcus stuff floating around ebay riggt now, lol
(Or nordstrom, whatever store they were robbing in the news)

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Im bettin there is some nice neiman marcus stuff floating around ebay riggt now, lol
(Or nordstrom, whatever store they were robbing in the news)

Maybe, but the stuff I buy is vintage, the things I wanted but couldn't afford in the 90's and 00's even at discount places like Burlington Coat Factory and Ross. But second hand is not a compromise for me. I believe in it, buying things that the factories and labor have already produced, supporting small businesses online and in town (the thrift shops). There is so much junk already in this world. I love it. Jobs? The population is dying off. You walk into a store between 7 and 9pm and it's a ghost town. It's time to reduce store hours, turn off lights and a/c, give it a rest. In some countries, like Denmark, stores close at 6pm. Here, if people work until 5pm, 7 o'clock is plenty of time to stop for milk and eggs on the way home.

I guess that's starting to approach a rant, so I'll hush now.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Maybe, but the stuff I buy is vintage, the things I wanted but couldn't afford in the 90's and 00's even at discount places like Burlington Coat Factory and Ross. But second hand is not a compromise for me. I believe in it, buying things that the factories and labor have already produced, supporting small businesses online and in town (the thrift shops). There is so much junk already in this world. I love it. Jobs? The population is dying off. You walk into a store between 7 and 9pm and it's a ghost town. It's time to reduce store hours, turn off lights and a/c, give it a rest. In some countries, like Denmark, stores close at 6pm. Here, if people work until 5pm, 7 o'clock is plenty of time to stop for milk and eggs on the way home.

I guess that's starting to approach a rant, so I'll hush now.
Haha, it was just a joke. I wasnt talking second hand, in the past it would be stuff known as 'fallen of the back of a truck'

Personally im boxer briefs and a tshirt or sweatpants as needed. Clean sheet and a pillowcase for whatever im sleeping on.

Im easy

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
<aol>Me too!</aol>
Who remembers AOL?

My little joke in my previous post was a reference to when AOL first allowed their users connection on the internet. AOL started out as a bulletin board system like CompuServe and in an effort to stay alive connected their users to the general internet. AOLer's would get into USENET and just chime in with "Me too". The <aol></aol> was a running joke for years in usenet.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Eh, i think that chart is a little thin, the 80's were the 'me' generation and i usually consider millenials to be born a little later in the 80's, like 85. And i also thought that ppl born in the 60's were a different generation than baby boomers

Thats just imho, not arguing, just i remember the yuppy generation as being distinct from baby boomers and gen x

VU Sponsors