Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Growing up in rural Wisconsin had some bonuses. One was going to the small "cheese factories" which were mom and pop stores where you could see the room where cheese was being made. Samples were always available. Nothing commercially available compares to the taste. I don't care if that makes me a cheese snob. Such rich flavors are delightful, and you don't know what you're missing until you've tried it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They were stil pretty bad in my day too late 70s early 80s.

I cant remember if we had diveded plate section trys or the flat ones with bowls when i was real little

Edit-i seem to remember even in the early days u could go back thru and purchase an extra milk
Yes the meals did leave a lot to be desired to say the least.

When I was in school all the trays were flat, someone was always havin something slide off and crash on the floor (all plates and bowl were glass

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers watchin Superman

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person and text that says 'Our idea is to give children good entertainment without all the guts and blood and gore. We think the series should teach them something too. That's why decided to do this. --George George Reeves'

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Government put a stop to the Saturday morning cartoon blocks. I decided to get an answer as to why there is no longer a Saturday morning cartoon marathon on network TV. A search produced this article from January of 2022:

I don't think Saturday morning cartoons stopped by the end of the 90's though. I remember them in the early 2000's, but not long after that they were gone.

You can sure see a lot of ads for pharmaceutical products though, any time, any channel.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Government put a stop to the Saturday morning cartoon blocks. I decided to get an answer as to why there is no longer a Saturday morning cartoon marathon on network TV. A search produced this article from January of 2022:

I don't think Saturday morning cartoons stopped by the end of the 90's though. I remember them in the early 2000's, but not long after that they were gone.

You can sure see a lot of ads for pharmaceutical products though, any time, any channel.
Interesting post, I never new that, thank you for postin it my friend :)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting post, I never new that, thank you for postin it my friend :)

I have suffered from cartoon deprivation since I had piano lessons 9-10am, followed by music theory class 10-11am, every Saturday from age 8 until 16. If they put a cartoon block back on Saturday mornings, I would probably want to watch it, at least once or twice. I know you can get cartoons online and on DVD, but it isn't the same as parking in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal until the adults wanted to switch to sports or something.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah yes. Saturday morning cartoons were a staple of life as I once knew it. Then there were the sitcoms in the afternoons. At one time, it was The Andy Griffith Show that I remember well. Then later, along come shows such as The Brady Bunch, then Three's Company, and Mork and Mindy.

Yet, it was those cartoons that were worth getting up early for, and I hated it when they were over, and the old man put on the sports for the rest of the day.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some things are better now than in the good old days.

We used these big ugly humpback computers in the 90's:

1690056174097.png

Much nicer:

laptop.JPG

Some say these had better sound:

1690056363378.png

But as a DJ I hated having to transport them, heavy, bulky, endangered by hot weather. CD's are clean, small, portable and much more durable:

CD stack.JPG

Mail order catalogs--OUT!! Once you could find anything you want online anytime, I took a hard "zero tolerance" position against a mailbox filled with tree wasting catalogs. I called all of the purveyors and stopped them all. I know, something is burning somewhere in order for us to have internet all the time, but we have it anyway, for work, for email, research and... online shopping.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One thing I don't miss from the "good ol' days" was having to have 2 picture IDs to open a bank account. A policy like that just made more money for the check cashing places, because most folks only had 1 ID such as a driver's license.

Many places that provided additional forms of identification for security purposes did not include a photo on ID, so that could not be used for opening an account, which sucked.

To make matters worse, many apartment building managers refused to rent to anyone without a bank account. I had to rely on my looks and charm just to find places to rent when I was young, without having to live in the slums.

Eventually, the Reagan era soul-draining system was changed, and things got much better for the working class.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Now businesses just want it to be made cheaply
I wouldn't doubt if Timex is made in china or some other country now, like so many other US manufacturer's. They keep the name and cheapen the product and usually not the price.

Edit: "Timex Group B.V.'s products are manufactured in the Philippines, Hong Kong, China, France, India and Switzerland, often based on technology that continues to be developed in the United States and in Germany."

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't doubt if Timex is made in china or some other country now, like so many other US manufacturer's. They keep the name and cheapen the product and usually not the price.

Edit: "Timex Group B.V.'s products are manufactured in the Philippines, Hong Kong, China, France, India and Switzerland, often based on technology that continues to be developed in the United States and in Germany."
And yet, I often see Timex watches sold at Walmart on clearance for five dollars. Yeah... just smacks of quality right their, don't it? Surprising they don't sell them at Harbor Freight.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Probably their very highest priced one comes from Switzerland, rock bottom priced ones from China :giggle:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

They did this with BMX bikes when I was growing up. Between 1984 and 1990.
The big names Hutch & GT sold out to China. They started selling straight trash.
Hutch changed from 1984 Hutch Pro Racer to 1985 Hutch Excel.
If you look those two bikes up you'll see the obvious decline in quality. You won't find a chrome Excel. They didn't make them. The only time I've seen a non chrome pro racer someone had painted a chrome one.

This is the American made 1984 Hutch Pro Racer.

1690309399295.png

This is the Chinese 1985 Hutch Excel.

1690309466516.png

Does anyone else see the difference? :giggle:

VU Sponsors