Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers Mr. Ed
They have it on the re-runs channel sometimes. Very likeable series.

My brother and I had a ridiculous conversation about it. He loves the show. I asked him if he thought Mr. Ed's voice was Wilbur's subconscious, or his thought process, or an alter-ego, since nobody else ever heard Mr. Ed speak. "No", my brother insisted. "Mr. Ed was real and he loved Wilbur."

I guess it was a slow day for conversation. 🤣😆😂

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They have it on the re-runs channel sometimes. Very likeable series.

My brother and I had a ridiculous conversation about it. He loves the show. I asked him if he thought Mr. Ed's voice was Wilbur's subconscious, or his thought process, or an alter-ego, since nobody else ever heard Mr. Ed speak. "No", my brother insisted. "Mr. Ed was real and he loved Wilbur."

I guess it was a slow day for conversation. 🤣😆😂
I wish they had re-runs channel here :( I love those old shows

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish they had re-runs channel here :( I love those old shows

Try re-programming your channels. There are several rerun channels actually, Timeless TV, Antenna TV, Cozi, Comet (great for old horror movies and Twilight Zone), GET-tv. I can't even think of all of them. Sometimes you'll channel surf and find one of them is airing Beverly Hillbillies all day. I don't have cable TV. These are all free to air.

Also I got a lot more channels when I got this klunker:

A bazillion channels, and I could even get more if I let it be visible, but it's so ugly I keep it hidden behind a loveseat.

On Amazon it says it's unavailable right now, but a hard online search will turn one up eventually. I'll see if I can find one for you. None of those piddling electronic antennas will do much, especially if you live in the inner city like I do.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try re-programming your channels. There are several rerun channels actually, Timeless TV, Antenna TV, Cozi, Comet (great for old horror movies and Twilight Zone), GET-tv. I can't even think of all of them. Sometimes you'll channel surf and find one of them is airing Beverly Hillbillies all day. I don't have cable TV. These are all free to air.

Also I got a lot more channels when I got this klunker:

A bazillion channels, and I could even get more if I let it be visible, but it's so ugly I keep it hidden behind a loveseat.

On Amazon it says it's unavailable right now, but a hard online search will turn one up eventually. I'll see if I can find one for you. None of those piddling electronic antennas will do much, especially if you live in the inner city like I do.
How do you get internet if you don't have cable? I just have the basic cable so I can have internet. But yes one of those would be great for me.:)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do you get internet if you don't have cable? I just have the basic cable so I can have internet. But yes one of those would be great for me.:)

I have an internet service provider, silly. Grande Communications (the one AT&T tried to run out of town).

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But yes one of those would be great for me.:)

Jimi, I found you one! Direct from the manufacturer, and the maximum range one. This price is great. I paid 73.00 for mine in 2014.

You'll need a length of coaxial cable to connect it to your TV. It doesn't work with TV's made before 2006.

Edit: It says on that listing that the coaxial cable is included!

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

They make you think you have to get a package including cable TV, in order to get internet. You can choose to get just internet, or internet and land line phone. You may enjoy having cable TV, but I think it's a vast wasteland when there are a bazillion free to air TV stations (if you have an antenna that lets you pick them up).

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After you get the cable cutter and hook it up with your TV, move it around the room and see where you get the best reception. Then:

• Do a second or third channel scan. After making the recommended changes above, we have found a second or third channel scan will usually net more channels.

I used to care about this stuff. Since I've been working at home I hardly ever turn on the TV, except when I'm eating breakfast-lunch, and even then sometimes an online podcast is preferable.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put up an antenna before my mom passed. She was so hooked on her game shows that I was basically forced to keep satellite TV service for her benefit. Now, I either watch over the aire stuff or free stuff I can view just because I have smart TV sets. By the way, I get over 50 channels over the antenna out in the country, since I pick up programming from two cities, each less than 70 miles away (the distance I am supposed to receive signals from).

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put up an antenna before my mom passed. She was so hooked on her game shows that I was basically forced to keep satellite TV service for her benefit. Now, I either watch over the aire stuff or free stuff I can view just because I have smart TV sets. By the way, I get over 50 channels over the antenna out in the country, since I pick up programming from two cities, each less than 70 miles away (the distance I am supposed to receive signals from).

The thing is, you're more likely to get more channels in a far flung suburb or a rural area, than in a downtown or inner city location.

A neighbor in my building had a satellite dish attached to the back catwalk rail, one floor above me, and I got channels from that. Is that possible? When she moved out, I didn't get them anymore. That was before I found the cable cutter antenna, which is this crazy miracle piece of clunky metal. Once I hooked it up and scanned for channels, the channels started flying in, 15, now 20, now 30, now 40. Crazy.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did anyone have one of these view lighters?

May be an image of lighter

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My cousins taught me this... it was like "playing chicken". You all stand in a circle, light the firecracker and you could not look up... just had to wait and see if it landed on someone (relatively harmless and so fun):

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did anyone have bubble plastic?
I can still smell the chemicals! Even as a kid it kinda scared me
The toxic toys of the past and no one ever gave it a second thought:rolleyes:

May be an image of 1 person, chewing bubblegum, candy and text

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember the good ol' days when we used to just leave the phone off the hook when we didn't want to be bothered calls. I once left it off the hook for a whole week, just because of prank calls, and caller ID didn't even exist yet. A few people got upset because they couldn't contact me during that time. But it was peaceful.

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember going grocery shopping with my mom and the trunk and back seat of the car be full of groceries in thick brown paper bags from two different shopping carts for 100 dollars..Today, I carry out 4 or 5 cheap thin plastic bags and need no cart.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember going grocery shopping with my mom and the trunk and back seat of the car be full of groceries in thick brown paper bags from two different shopping carts for 100 dollars..Today, I carry out 4 or 5 cheap thin plastic bags and need no cart.
How very true, sad how some things have changed

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Does everyone remember how crude the old school hot lunches were

May be an image of 4 people
They were stil pretty bad in my day too late 70s early 80s.

I cant remember if we had diveded plate section trys or the flat ones with bowls when i was real little

Edit-i seem to remember even in the early days u could go back thru and purchase an extra milk

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I recall back when we had whole milk with school lunches. Then, they came out with the watered down 2%, and kids preferred that, just because it didn't say H O M O on the carton. Yeah... kids thought drinking whole milk was actually going to make them gay because of a word on the carton.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There were a few dairies in our little country town. We would get real whole milk for 25¢ gal. I'd get in trouble for drinking the cream off the top in the middle of the night :bliss:

VU Sponsors