Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These days, I wonder... if you were to mention Captain Kangaroo to a young person, do you think they might think you were talking about Crocodile Dundee? Or would they be lost in that Neighborhood Of Make Believe they call their cellphones?

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Im gonna triple post cuz i just learned about this watching a really bad movie and u all will crack the hell up.

The mandela effect...google it if u want to read nonsense. I remember when he was released and apartheid ended.

Ppl r just stoopid these days...guess no one saw invictus

Edit just wanted to be clear apartheid was not part of the 'good' old times, just something in the past i wanted to comment on

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The mandela effect...google it if u want to read nonsense. I remember when he was released and apartheid ended.

Ppl r just stoopid these days...guess no one saw invictus

Edit just wanted to be clear apartheid was not part of the 'good' old times, just something in the past i wanted to comment on

Yes, I will never forget when Mandela was finally released from prison. I have it commemorated in a beautiful CD by a Dallas reggae artist, which includes this hypnotic song, "A Gentleman's Stand":

The "mandela effect" was from a South African student's confusion of Nelson Mandela with Steven Biko, who died at the hands of police decades earlier in the fight against apartheid. The student wrote of him, but as Mandela, and said he'd died in prison. After the mandela effect began to be talked about, someone produced a copy of that old college newspaper with the erroneous article in it.

But there are other "mandela effects", based on the idea that our reality is a simulation, that we're in a virtual reality game in a computer, overseen by overlords above or outside of it, and that the game set can be changed by its designers at any time.

A popular "Mandela effect" that people will argue about is the titles of the books about the Berenstain Bears. People with kids, who read them or took them out at the library, say they were originally titled "The Berenstein Bears" (-stein not -stain). Someone even found one of the books in storage and showed a pic of the Berenstein title online.

Some say Jif peanut butter used to be Jiffy. I think they're confusing it with Skippy.

Some say Bragg Aminos used to be labeled "Braggs Aminos".

But I do have a real one. When I used to stand outside on smoke breaks at the old brick & mortar, watching cars go by, I would see the Cooper Mini cars and think I wanted to try one, so I researched them online for years until I could justify getting a new car. They used to be universally referred to as the "Cooper Mini". The original maker was Cooper Car Company. By the time I bought one, they were universally called the "Mini Cooper", and there is no trace of them ever named in the reverse, but I know they were.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Yes, I will never forget when Mandela was finally released from prison. I have it commemorated in a beautiful CD by a Dallas reggae artist, which includes this hypnotic song, "A Gentleman's Stand":

The "mandela effect" was from a South African student's confusion of Nelson Mandela with Steven Biko, who died at the hands of police decades earlier in the fight against apartheid. The student wrote of him, but as Mandela, and said he'd died in prison. After the mandela effect began to be talked about, someone produced a copy of that old college newspaper with the erroneous article in it.

But there are other "mandela effects", based on the idea that our reality is a simulation, that we're in a virtual reality game in a computer, overseen by overlords above or outside of it, and that the game set can be changed by its designers at any time.

A popular "Mandela effect" that people will argue about is the titles of the books about the Berenstain Bears. People with kids, who read them or took them out at the library, say they were originally titled "The Berenstein Bears" (-stein not -stain). Someone even found one of the books in storage and showed a pic of the Berenstein title online.

Some say Jif peanut butter used to be Jiffy. I think they're confusing it with Skippy.

Some say Bragg Aminos used to be labeled "Braggs Aminos".

But I do have a real one. When I used to stand outside on smoke breaks at the old brick & mortar, watching cars go by, I would see the Cooper Mini cars and think I wanted to try one, so I researched them online for years until I could justify getting a new car. They used to be universally referred to as the "Cooper Mini". The original maker was Cooper Car Company. By the time I bought one, they were universally called the "Mini Cooper", and there is no trace of them ever named in the reverse, but I know they were.
Yeah, i have heard that simulation thing, and i know really really smart ppl kinda believe it, so, not gonna comment further

Except i will bet u a dollar we r not, lol, its almost all rationally explained like jiff and skippy

(Im sure u r right about mini coopers tho)

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, i have heard that simulation thing, and i know really really smart ppl kinda believe it, so, not gonna comment further
I neither believe nor disbelieve it. Many believe our world is created by a distant god, with a reality then left to us to shape with free will, so what would that amount to? Many scientists say the universe is electric. In a computerized virtual reality do the participants have free will to create or alter that reality?

I really want to believe in nature, but I am firmly convinced that geo-engineering is, for many decades now, a malevolent force being imposed on us by powers that should not be, whether it's misguided environmentalists or mad scientists or a rogue government.

But for me, there is never any point in getting into fierce arguments over things we can't prove, much less change. I've put the political brawls firmly in the past, except when my brothers want to start with me, gloves off, in the middle of a holiday dinner.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of wine and text

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I know u old fogies maybe dont consider this old, but 30 years now ...they were so good too
59401ec8da6dde5a2504227b.png

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember a time when these were everywhere, I think they should still be. Yes I have a cell phone but have been caught with dead batteries or close to it.

May be an image of phone and text that says 'YOU HAVEA COLLECT CALL FROM: HEYMOM, COME PICK ME UP, DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES? Ophone 라 KIDSTODAYWILL NEVER KNOW THE STRUGGLE''YOU HAVEA COLLECT CALL FROM: HEYMOM, COME PICK ME UP, DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES? Ophone 라 KIDSTODAYWILL NEVER KNOW THE STRUGGLE'
The last time I saw those, people still carried pagers, and those booths were used as toilets. There was a phone on every block, but it was a 10 to 12 block walk to find on that still worked.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I remember a time when these were everywhere, I think they should still be. Yes I have a cell phone but have been caught with dead batteries or close to it.

May be an image of phone and text that says 'YOU HAVEA COLLECT CALL FROM: HEYMOM, COME PICK ME UP, DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES? Ophone 라 KIDSTODAYWILL NEVER KNOW THE STRUGGLE''YOU HAVEA COLLECT CALL FROM: HEYMOM, COME PICK ME UP, DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES? Ophone 라 KIDSTODAYWILL NEVER KNOW THE STRUGGLE'
And never walk past one w/o checking for change, real silver coins.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mc Donalds: I moved to city of Orange, Orange Co Cal in '78. Went to work for a painting contractor. Jobsite in Anaheim for a couple days was a Mc Donalds, the one where they mad the commercials. Full size, fully equipped. looked inside out like a reg McD but had open ceilings with an array of pipe strung to hang back drops. Had the full Kid land outside too, and a basement the size of the building, where they had offices (not full time), dressing rooms, wardrobe rooms w/all the costumes. Different, for a paint project that was mostly in basement.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I must be old I can remember all of these

May be an image of text

even the old metal "come in we're open" sign :giggle:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There was an episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer and other characters (flash back to when they were younger) were talking about how this new "internet" thing was great. They were talking about the inner netting in men's swim trunks LOL

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We are shopping for a new washing machine (many have fancy features we don't want or need) I remember when a washer just had two knobs and lasted for many many years. Can you imagine telling someone way back when that some day they will able to control their washer with a phone? They would have said "that's crazy!"

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There were some shows I never did much care for while growing up, no matter how much my folks insisted I watch. Hee Haw, Howdy Doody, and The Little Rascals were among them.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Is anyone else old enough to remember milk delivery

May be an image of text that says 'alpenrose DAIRY CREAM BUTTER CHEESI Just Call PR7-1661 I want to be Your Milkman! SERVICE I PLEDGE MY NAME EXCELLENT IS S... MY REASONS ARE INSIDE HARHG 1961''alpenrose DAIRY CREAM BUTTER CHEESI Just Call PR7-1661 I want to be Your Milkman! SERVICE I PLEDGE MY NAME EXCELLENT IS S... MY REASONS ARE INSIDE HARHG 1961'
We had a milk man when we lived in Colorado in 2000-2002. Our milk jugs were heavy plastic by then. Just rinse them out and put the empties in the milk box on the porch on delivery day.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We had a milk man when we lived in Colorado in 2000-2002. Our milk jugs were heavy plastic by then. Just rinse them out and put the empties in the milk box on the porch on delivery day.
Who remembers that short stint when they used the yellow plastic jugs for milk, because the whitish clear ones were supposedly bad for preserving the nutrients against being damaged from light in a refrigerator where the light is off when the door is closed? Then, we served milk in clear glasses anyways.

Yeah... history is full of idiots.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Here in SA, Frost Bank used to have a "time" phone number, including "downtown temperature" too, all my life. I don't know why something like that would go away during the Covid era, but that's when they stopped it. Maybe it's just a coincidence, and they knew everybody has the time on their computers, their appliances, not to mention their watches and clocks, so maybe it was just time to cut a small expense, but it was a form of advertising. "Frost Bank time, 1124am. Downtown temperature, 70 degrees". A 2019 article said it received 10,000 to 18,000 calls a day.

VU Sponsors