Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
4ce6fa1ecf7845a41ffc1820aabc9187.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who had one of these

e7db42e725298887fa212b6e5f836829.jpg

When I was a kid I thought it would be a good idea to see how far one of these would travel if hit with a baseball bat. Well it turned out to be not such a good idea, it went much farther than I thought and landed in a neighbors kitchen after breakin the window glass. needless to say no one was impressed:facepalm:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My little brother had some Sea Monkeys once. I was beyond that by then.

I did all those Gen-X things except the MySpace and the AO-Hell. Does that mean I'm a Gen-X??

That white paste was peppermint flavored, so most of the kids ate it. I admit I tried it once, but it didn't become a regular part of my diet.

And the cork lined Coke bottle caps, oh yeah, I remember those! I had forgotten, but when I saw the picture I was immediately swept back in time, and there I was, sitting and picking that cork out of the bottle cap, making a mess on the floor.

Oh, and all those lessons that mom taught? Yup, I heard all of them, and then some.

I'm actually having a hard time realizing that most or all of these things on this thread are obsolete now. We still have a TV antenna on the roof, but it only picks up two stations, and those not very well, so we had to get satellite. And anyway, I think they changed the broadcast frequency, didn't they? So the antenna wouldn't work anymore, anyway.

I wish I could just go back to the 70s and live there. I was happy there, with my pink GE princess phone with no answering machine, my TV with NO remote, but a little antenna sitting on top that I had to keep fiddling with, my three network channels that always had something entertaining or funny on (remember those days?), my car that had a carbureter and a distributor and NO EPA crap on it that I could fix if it broke down, and my house with NO computer in it... it was so much simpler back then.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember ALL of those things, even Herbie, although I never watched the movie. Reading the cereal boxes, yup! LOL!

Funny story about that "foot" gas pedal cover. My girlfriend had put one on her '66 Coronet (drag race car) because she thought it was cute. Well, we were on our way to the dragstrip that night to race, and it just so happened that the throttle spring fell off the carburetor, and the dang thing stuck wide open. She slid into the nearest gas station, and was STANDING on the brakes, but the car was still running full throttle, so she was doing a pretty impressive burn-out in their parking lot. The attendant ran out and reached in and switched off her key (DUH!), and I have to admit, I was so distracted watching the huge cloud of tire smoke, I didn't think to do that myself, ROFLMAO! Anyway, the gas station guy said her spring fell off (plus we were all sure she had a screw loose as well, oh yeah, it was the nut behind the wheel!), so he fixed it for her, but she felt like that FOOT had jinxed her, so she asked to borrow a screwdriver and took it off, right then and there. She never put it back on. She was silly, but those were fun times. That was back in 1975. And PREMIUM race gas, at Texaco, was .57 a gallon.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember ALL of those things, even Herbie, although I never watched the movie. Reading the cereal boxes, yup! LOL!

Funny story about that "foot" gas pedal cover. My girlfriend had put one on her '66 Coronet (drag race car) because she thought it was cute. Well, we were on our way to the dragstrip that night to race, and it just so happened that the throttle spring fell off the carburetor, and the dang thing stuck wide open. She slid into the nearest gas station, and was STANDING on the brakes, but the car was still running full throttle, so she was doing a pretty impressive burn-out in their parking lot. The attendant ran out and reached in and switched off her key (DUH!), and I have to admit, I was so distracted watching the huge cloud of tire smoke, I didn't think to do that myself, ROFLMAO! Anyway, the gas station guy said her spring fell off (plus we were all sure she had a screw loose as well, oh yeah, it was the nut behind the wheel!), so he fixed it for her, but she felt like that FOOT had jinxed her, so she asked to borrow a screwdriver and took it off, right then and there. She never put it back on. She was silly, but those were fun times. That was back in 1975. And PREMIUM race gas, at Texaco, was .57 a gallon.
Good story, thank you for sharin it with us.
That's what this thread is for to bring back those priceless memories from yesteryear ;)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had what's either a fun idea or a dumb idea (or might just be depressing).
This is a photo of a 7-11 convenience store from the 1970's.
How many differences can you spot between a 1970's 7-11 scene & a 2020's 7-11 scene???

View attachment 216270

I'll start:
- Clerks in uniforms
- Two clerks working
- A WASP-y clerk (don't mean to be offensive to anyone but facts are facts)
- No one has visible tattoos
- A customer in a full business suit & tie
- Slurpee machine behind the counter
- Gums & mints in front of the counter and no apparent concern about theft
- Do they still make Dentyne chewing gum (anyone ever find out what the 5th dentist recommended?)?
- A customer has taken only a $1 bill from her wallet to pay for everything
- Is that a soft pack of cigarettes she's buying?
- Looks like a photograph in her wallet
- Are those road maps on the right?
- No card scanner, only a non-digital cash register

Anyone else?
I remember when a phone book was full of everybody's name and number. Those things were thick enough that they were used as booster seats so little kids could sit at the table to eat. Tough guys had to tear them in half to show off how manly they were. We just got our new phone book in. It only contains business listings. For 3 counties, it only takes 92 pages to complete the white and yellow pages, and that includes full page ads.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
we get them also but post office now only delivers letters every two days due to people just using e mail
yup sad and there goes another 600 jobs! can anyone tellme how an email can feel as touching as receiving a hand written letter? not the same to me.but thats progress in this plastic world!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We still get phone books, complete, but we're 50 years behind the rest of the world out here. The problem is, we get SEVERAL phone books, because we don't live in "a city," and there are phone books for different areas. It's hard to find anything in them, because you're never sure which one to look in. And a lot of places don't even have Yellow Pages advertising because it's too expensive, so if you don't know the NAME of a place to find it in the White Pages listing, you just don't find it.

Mostly, if we're looking for something, we ask a neighbor, and they'll give us a person's or company's name and phone number, and then we have to write it down. On a piece of paper. ;)

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Plastic barrier bottles: Pose health risks for individuals. Are deadly dangerous for the environment.
"Yeah, but we save a bundle on shipping costs, so go for it."

Glass bottles in the unhealthful beverages aisle in the 1980s:
View attachment 216381
yes its so so stupid when you see people buying natural spring water...bottled in a plastic bottle!! my business was naking convetor systems and i used machines to include plastic bottles and p.e.t machines if you really knew!!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Royal Crown Cola in a 16 oz. glass bottle! Nothing better! I always had one tucked in my crotch when I was driving around in my moPar race-everyday car. It was cold in the summer when I was wearing shorts! Now there's a story for you. :)

Here's another one. I was going to the drag races down at Woodburn, Oregon (I lived in Portland at the time), and a couple of my racing buddies were driving down with me. One of them came up beside me and told me to roll down my window (which involved me leaning across the car and working the window roller-downer, no electric windows back then). So I did, and he tossed a can of Coors beer across from his car to mine! He hollered at me, "The breakfast of champions!" and laughed. So I DRANK that Coors on the way down to the races, like at 8:30 in the morning, LOL! Well, I raced all day and beat everyone I went up against until the very last round. I came in second in my bracket, but I lost by only two-thousandths of a second! I got a nice trophy for that second place finish, and I still have it. It was the Coca Cola Drags, which was quite a big deal (funny cars and rails and such, as well as us bracket racers), so there was a coke can on the top of the trophy, just under the car, and for a while, I put that Coors can on there, but eventually, I put the original Coke can back on. I don't know whatever became of the Coors can. The trophy sits on my headboard to this day.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And before that, even, when I was just a freshman in high school... my mom used to send me down to the corner grocery store (Holgate Farms, it was called, and they had an actual butcher shop in the back) to buy her a carton of cigarettes and usually a gallon of milk and some bread and stuff for breakfast the next day. She'd give me a note saying it was OK to sell me the cigarettes. Well, it didn't take me long to perfect forging her signature, and soon I was buying my own cigarettes with my berry picking money. Back then, Marlboros were $3.65 a carton. A whole CARTON!

On weekends, us neighborhood kids would get together and pool our money and then try to get a random adult to buy us a bottle of Boone's Farm Apple Wine (OMG, did I REALLY drink that stuff?) at the 7-11 down the road. Back then, most anybody would oblige. Then we'd all troop off to the hillside behind the drive-in theater and drink that wine and smoke cigarettes and watch whatever movie was playing. One of the guys would hop the back fence and turn some of the back row speakers so we could hear... and we all turned out to be decent people as adults, go figure. ;) Now I don't even think there ARE drive-ins anymore. Are there?

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember watching him in the 80s, loved his stories and his style. I was however deeply disappointed when I learned much later in life that his accent and supposed cultural heritage were not real.

1720886289589.png

VU Sponsors