Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As a small kid we always got these at easter

No photo description available.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I spent every Saturday afternoon in the winters at Oaks Park Skating Rink. I LOVED skating! Wanna hear another funny story? (Sure you do!) I was pretty good at skating backward, and there was this big circular bench in a wide spot in the corner where people could sit and put on their skates or adjust laces or whatever. My girlfriend and I were there, and there were some really cute guys we were trying to impress, so I started going around and around that circular bench, faster and faster. The cute guys would HAVE to be dazzled by my skating brilliance, right? Right. Up until I hit one of the wood blocks that secured it to the floor. Man, I hit that floor with my ass SO HARD, it knocked the wind outta me. Naturally the aforementioned cute guys rushed over to make sure I was OK. I was never so embarrassed in my life. I wanted to disappear into the floor...

In later years, they carpeted that whole area, I guess because I prolly wasn't the only one to be trying stunts outside the rink itself. They took all the fun away. Boo.

It's not the Christmas season without watching Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol at least once!
No photo description available.

I haven't seen that one since I was a kid. My favorite one that I watch every year, without fail, is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The one with Burl Ives. :)

I remember getting these for a nickel. They seemed so much bigger back then, and I figured it was because I was smaller, but they really WERE bigger. How many candy bars come in a 3 oz. version nowadays? They just keep getting smaller and smaller, while the price gets bigger and bigger.

Also notice the proper use of English on the oldest wrapper. You don't see that ANYWHERE anymore.

I have never seen Old Yeller. I saw how upset everyone else was from watching it, and took my cue from them.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I spent every Saturday afternoon in the winters at Oaks Park Skating Rink. I LOVED skating! Wanna hear another funny story? (Sure you do!) I was pretty good at skating backward, and there was this big circular bench in a wide spot in the corner where people could sit and put on their skates or adjust laces or whatever. My girlfriend and I were there, and there were some really cute guys we were trying to impress, so I started going around and around that circular bench, faster and faster. The cute guys would HAVE to be dazzled by my skating brilliance, right? Right. Up until I hit one of the wood blocks that secured it to the floor. Man, I hit that floor with my ass SO HARD, it knocked the wind outta me. Naturally the aforementioned cute guys rushed over to make sure I was OK. I was never so embarrassed in my life. I wanted to disappear into the floor...

In later years, they carpeted that whole area, I guess because I prolly wasn't the only one to be trying stunts outside the rink itself. They took all the fun away. Boo.

I haven't seen that one since I was a kid. My favorite one that I watch every year, without fail, is Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. The one with Burl Ives. :)

I remember getting these for a nickel. They seemed so much bigger back then, and I figured it was because I was smaller, but they really WERE bigger. How many candy bars come in a 3 oz. version nowadays? They just keep getting smaller and smaller, while the price gets bigger and bigger.

Also notice the proper use of English on the oldest wrapper. You don't see that ANYWHERE anymore.

I have never seen Old Yeller. I saw how upset everyone else was from watching it, and took my cue from them.
if you look at the (Three Musketeers) wrapper carefully it clearly says 3 confections in this package. That is why it was so big. The original "Three Musketeers Bar" had chocolate strawberry and vanilla enrobed in a chocolate shell. It was bloody frigging huge.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really? I must be so old I fart dust, then. Tinker toys were one of my favorite toys when I was little. Those wooden blocks with the painted letters first, then the Tinker toys. I built horses out of them. Nobody else could tell what they were, but trust me, they were horses. ;)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes I have to remember that not everyone had the benefit of all the cool stuff that was around when we were kids. Some people don't even remember 9/11. Back in the early 80s, '83 or '84 I think it was, we hired a high school girl to work at our office part time. Some of the girls and I were talking about Beaver Cleaver, and she turned around and asked who that was. :oops:

We explained, but she'd never heard of Leave It to Beaver. Then I said to her, "And I suppose you don't know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, either, right?" kind of as a joke, because it WAS a joke then, and she said, "Who's Paul McCartney?" I about fell off my chair.

And it's been getting worse ever since. Everybody is forgetting everything. When our generation is gone, nobody will know diddly squat anymore. Except how to play video games, maybe. How sad.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes I have to remember that not everyone had the benefit of all the cool stuff that was around when we were kids. Some people don't even remember 9/11. Back in the early 80s, '83 or '84 I think it was, we hired a high school girl to work at our office part time. Some of the girls and I were talking about Beaver Cleaver, and she turned around and asked who that was. :oops:

We explained, but she'd never heard of Leave It to Beaver. Then I said to her, "And I suppose you don't know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings, either, right?" kind of as a joke, because it WAS a joke then, and she said, "Who's Paul McCartney?" I about fell off my chair.

And it's been getting worse ever since. Everybody is forgetting everything. When our generation is gone, nobody will know diddly squat anymore. Except how to play video games, maybe. How sad.
yep our magic wands were sticks we found just lying on the ground not $100 pieces of mass marketed crap. our guns were our fingers not $100 pieces of mass marketed crap. our best friends were loyal not pretend followers.
and end of rant...or is this a diatribe???

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

My nephew surprised me. There were several times, when he was on the puter,, I would go in his room and take control of the mouse, lol. Went to youtube and made him listen to some older music. This is the surprise to me, he KNEW them! Here, I thought I was showing him something new and I wasn't. And in return, he turned me onto some of his music and it was alright, but I'm open to new music :tunez: and some of it was just piano, violin and such.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I totally agree, and these are the ones who will run this country one day, pretty sure I am very Glad I am an old phart and ain't gonna see that day
I still have hope, a lot of the newer generation is learning, the parents are teaching the children right, especially those that are living on farms. There is a family run restaurant in the small town, the parents are teaching their children right, being respectful, responsible, to have common sense. There is hope, don't give up on them.
Also, the grandfather use to vape until he saw me with a new tank. Lol, his eyes got so big and said that's nice looking. He says, I'm gonna have to start back up, and I said you better your grandchildren are counting on you to be there for all of their important dates!
Yup, they let me vape inside with no problems.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yep our magic wands were sticks we found just lying on the ground not $100 pieces of mass marketed crap. our guns were our fingers not $100 pieces of mass marketed crap. our best friends were loyal not pretend followers.
and end of rant...or is this a diatribe???

When my dad built our house "up on the hill," he had to clear out a bunch of old hazelnut trees for the house and immediate yard, because the property was once a hazelnut orchard. That pile of trees and dirt sat there in the far back yard as long as we lived in that house. It was our spaceship! We had worn paths up and down it, and at the top were two long sticks of either branches or roots, I can't remember now, sticking almost straight up, and those were the controls for steering and speed. We'd spend HOURS every day out there exploring the galaxy... Of course I always got to drive the spaceship because I was older.

One Sunday, when I was 5 years old, I was all dressed in my white confirmation dress (my family was Catholic) complete with white lace gloves and white patent leather Mary Janes, and my brother and I went up on that dirt pile to play spaceship before we went to church. My mom nearly had a heart attack! But I had sense enough to know I was supposed to stay clean, and I did. Sheesh, I guess she thought I was a messy BOY or something! I didn't even get my gloves dirty! :teehee:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some folks are buying records on vinyl just to be hipsters, but have no clue about the phrase "see you on the flip side". They use the word "cool", but have no clue the baby boomers made it mean something.

I'll watch comedians streaming on YouTube, making jokes about those hipsters vaping. Those are the hipsters blowing clouds in places where vaping is being banned. Can they be any more clueless?

I used to spend countless summer days just hanging out with teens 6 years older than I was while growing up... listening to music like Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Airplane. They never let me drink their beer or smoke their stash because I was so young, but they did enjoy talking with me. Then, they went off and got married, had kids and responsibilities. It was time to find something else to kill time doing.

VU Sponsors