Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
OK your turn

May be an image of text that says 'November 18th Happy 94th birthday to Mickey & Minnie Mouse Mickey and Minnie's birthdays are celebrated on November 18th because this date marks their film debut in the Walt Disney classic short film Steamboat Willie.''November 18th Happy 94th birthday to Mickey & Minnie Mouse Mickey and Minnie's birthdays are celebrated on November 18th because this date marks their film debut in the Walt Disney classic short film Steamboat Willie.'

May be a cartoon of ‎text that says '‎Srihday ppy November 17th Happy 60th birthday to Lippy the Lion د‎'‎'‎Srihday ppy November 17th Happy 60th birthday to Lippy the Lion د‎'‎
how come there was no public holidays for these fictional beings?

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
OK your turn
i forgot to tell you jimi, yesterday a female friend called me and asked if i fancied a afternoon drink. she picked me up, we drove 45mins, she searched for this driveway hidden among trees. i said i hope you aint got an axe! she parked car in frount of this building, told me to wait in car. 5 mins she returned drove to thos small unit we went in and she sais ok lets get outside. wtf i said, it was a nudist camp!!!!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i forgot to tell you jimi, yesterday a female friend called me and asked if i fancied a afternoon drink. she picked me up, we drove 45mins, she searched for this driveway hidden among trees. i said i hope you aint got an axe! she parked car in frount of this building, told me to wait in car. 5 mins she returned drove to thos small unit we went in and she sais ok lets get outside. wtf i said, it was a nudist camp!!!!
its is different, a female stopped for a chat and to give us a welcome she said that she hoped to see more of us. how much more could she see!!

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
We had those...haha...i was like one of the last classes using 1970's science math and history english textbooks, learned typing on a typewriter, reel to reels, overhead projectors, apple IIc to learn 'computer class'.

Our sex ed...no lie...were the old 1950's ones in black and white...the ones u laff at in movies these days. And yes, they were on reel to reel.

Women took home economics
Men took shop and metal class

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Sorry for the double off topic post, but now in the good new times, i just saw a commecial. flex protect just came out with a flood protection system that seals your doors and windows in case of a flood. Combined with sandbags, looks pretty good for fellow preppers.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not saying a woman cant do that...but putting dishes in the dishwasher vacuuming the carpet, grocery shopping and driving the kids to school seems a lot more fun to me. Especially since u r yer own boss, plus u have kids for slave labor to help, lol
Ever try getting kids to help with anything every single day? Even if they arent lazy, they would much rather do anything else but housework. Dont even mention "allowance", because that is just an entitlement to be taken away only if both parents agree. Slave labor... lmfao! Go to Reddit and read about why couples divorce. It sure ain't the kids helping out.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers getting a prize in the cereal box, kinda like cracker jacks. I remember when I was a kid, havin a brother and sister, We'd all watch carefully when my mom would pour our bowls of cereal to see if we were the lucky one to get the prize. This was just for a short period they did this in the 50's and 60's I think it ended in the mid 60's as close as I can remember :facepalm:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Who remembers getting a prize in the cereal box, kinda like cracker jacks. I remember when I was a kid, havin a brother and sister, We'd all watch carefully when my mom would pour our bowls of cereal to see if we were the lucky one to get the prize. This was just for a short period they did this in the 50's and 60's I think it ended in the mid 60's as close as I can remember :facepalm:
we had that in england, we used to swap them with each other. also one of the biggest things in england in 60's was conckers. getting a chestnut, mounting it on a string and smashing other kids chestnuts, we tried everything, soaking them in vinegar, freezing them etc

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
hey jimi. 1 year to the day Bella left.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
That was before my time, but we did have one of the last drive-ins in the area, like a for real, straight outa the past, drive in, it was just never updated, finally closed a cpl decades ago i heard.

I was hoping covid might put it back in business, or just pure nostalgia for the 90's, because they always played current movies, but it was totally a place where u could hide extra ppl in the trunk, or set up lawn chairs in the back of a pickup. Bring in a keg. Whatever. With the small snack shack and the snack cartoons at the beginning.

I cant remember if they still had the poles and speakers, im pretty sure they did, but it was also broadcast over a random fm station iirc.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here in town at one time had a dairy that put "points' on all their products for the kids to save up. On one Saturday of each month they had "bids for the kids" where they would have toys sports items, etc. So all the kids around would save up their points and when they had what they thought was enough they would go to the auction and would bid on what they wanted with their points. I was young at the time so it musta been the late 50's or very early 60's but it was really cool and an education for a kid.
I only won a couple bids over the time but after the auction they would have a movie and several cartoons that you could stay and watch for 25 point (we always stayed) so in a kids eye you always won :giggle:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
OK your turn
when i was at junior school our classroom was upstairs overlooking the courtyard, the girls had a netball court there. we would fill up water balloons with milk and when they sat down around 30 milk bombs would hit them.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Here in town at one time had a dairy that put "points' on all their products for the kids to save up. On one Saturday of each month they had "bids for the kids" where they would have toys sports items, etc. So all the kids around would save up their points and when they had what they thought was enough they would go to the auction and would bid on what they wanted with their points. I was young at the time so it musta been the late 50's or very early 60's but it was really cool and an education for a kid.
I only won a couple bids over the time but after the auction they would have a movie and several cartoons that you could stay and watch for 25 point (we always stayed) so in a kids eye you always won :giggle:
That just reminded me of marlboro miles, lol

Get cool stuff by smoking and keeping score, yay!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
We had one of those Polaroid instant cameras where you pulled the photo out of the side, and waited/watched the image appear. The they came out with that front ejection and we thought how cool. Now we buy sophisticated cameras with phones built in.
Some call them cell phones :p

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I can remember this

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and text that says '1968 school assembly, no jeans allowed!''1968 school assembly, no jeans allowed!'

When I was in school ALL of the girls wore dresses
that was when there were females in this world. sit in a shopping mall. count say 50 females that walk past. how many wear a dress? if you see a man wearing a skirt and high heels, then is is a trannie? humm strange world.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Remember swiping clothespins off of the line to pin playing cards to your bike spokes? Losing your roller skate key?
putting a hard backed comic album on your roller skate and flying down a hill.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
that was when there were females in this world. sit in a shopping mall. count say 50 females that walk past. how many wear a dress? if you see a man wearing a skirt and high heels, then is is a trannie? humm strange world.
Or a short scottsman insecure about his height, lol.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The other thing i notice is they are all white.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Yes, we got to freeze our legs off. Dress code changed the year after I graduated to "girls can wear slacks only, no jeans".

Mr. Nobody - my school was not all white.
I assume most schools were integrated at that point, other than the infamous ones that wernt. Few years before my time tho

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I assume most schools were integrated at that point, other than the infamous ones that wernt. Few years before my time tho
Integration was a point of contention with my folks. They were so racist, they'd move if they found out one kid in the school was not white. Of course, I never told them. It got weird when they got caught between Italian neighbors. We had to move again. If it ain't beer chugging at an Oktoberfest (and wealthy) they hated it.

I was never allowed to bring friends home, mostly because their ethnicities fell out of line with that which my folks would tolerate.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Ever try getting kids to help with anything every single day? Even if they arent lazy, they would much rather do anything else but housework. Dont even mention "allowance", because that is just an entitlement to be taken away only if both parents agree. Slave labor... lmfao! Go to Reddit and read about why couples divorce. It sure ain't the kids helping out.
you are right, if you look at all the mod fads there days, gyms, organic foods, no fat milk (with no taste) vegan meals, all kids with phones and 100 buck trainers and lets not get into 30 yr olds playing superman on their computers and speaking a language that ever they dont understand. they cant even find the right size jeans to wear as you can see their boxers and both butt cheeks as the bottom of their jeans trail along the floor or they buy 300 buck jeans that are held together by one thread with their crotch just a big hole. now this is progress, so they say, when the majority of us were teenagers it was expected that by the time you were 21 you would be married, responsible adults, now the coming of age should be 40 as they are still playing games and living at home with mom at 30, i feel a bit sorry for the young girls as they are far more advanced and mature than young guys. mind having said that they spend 5 hrs a day putting on slap so that a 13 year old looks like a 23 yr old!
summary being: in our young days it was thick fat you cooked your meals in, no gym as you spent all your time outside running and working, no low/no fat margarine as you had to heat up a knife to cut the bloody butter. but, a woman looked like a woman, they even wore skirts! men had very little fat as they worked. yes we all drank lots of beer, ate big fatty meals but it was very rare that you saw a teenager overweight.
youth today have no dress sense, no work ethic no desire to help around the home and no respect.
if we elders try to shake them up a little, then some do gooder will have the social services around.

the one mystery is, are they growing up without a model parent to follow? do they see an example to follow? or are they just dumb and lazy? personal feeling tell me that the smarter the world becomes, the lazier we get, how many of your sons have shoe polish handy? do they have shoes that need polish? how many can fasten a tie? do they go anywhere to wear one? do they dress up for a date? why should they, there dates will be wearing the same clothes anyway! do they run to shop? no just call a foodie to deliver meals. i take my hat of to us oldies, we still have manners, class,style and morals (yes kids we we all got sticky fingers as kids) but we did not make it into a movie,
modern life styles you can stick it up your ass. i still open doors for ladies and show respect (hmm behind doors is maybe different)i guess that our parents were brought up the old way and passed it on. now due to cost of living both parents work so kids have more spare time to eat mc crap foods,
i do not wish to suddenly find i am 21, i would be a total nerd.....thank god.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dunno how this all of a sudden came back to me, but in all its pollitical incorrect glory

Sigh... Sometimes I don't understand why something is politically incorrect. I can see the political incorrectness of depicting any culture as being full of ignorance, laziness or any other negative trait, and I don't think I've ever seen Hong Kong Phooey, but from what I can see in the clip you're showing, the character is an under dog, a mild mannered janitor, not well treated by his humans, and is a bit befuddled by his own super hero powers when he makes the transition. He holds up a book showing the title "Hong Kong School of Kung Fu". I don't know if there is a Hong Kong school of Kung Fu. The art and the discipline was long considered a kind of finishing school for Chinese men from good families. The name Kung Fu itself, I once read, derives from the name Confucius (Kung Fu Xi or Kung Fu Xhi, something like that), and besides teaching the art of stealthy fighting, has spiritual disciplines included.

Now the way people of India descent in America are treated in The Simpsons, that is politically incorrect. I have never, ever seen people from India depicted well in TV or movies, in spite of the fact that all the Indian people I have ever known have been smart, wise, kind, well above average in human qualities.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Sigh... Sometimes I don't understand why something is politically incorrect. I can see the political incorrectness of depicting any culture as being full of ignorance, laziness or any other negative trait, and I don't think I've ever seen Hong Kong Phooey, but from what I can see in the clip you're showing, the character is an under dog, a mild mannered janitor, not well treated by his humans, and is a bit befuddled by his own super hero powers when he makes the transition. He holds up a book showing the title "Hong Kong School of Kung Fu". I don't know if there is a Hong Kong school of Kung Fu. The art and the discipline was long considered a kind of finishing school for Chinese men from good families. The name Kung Fu itself, I once read, derives from the name Confucius (Kung Fu Xi or Kung Fu Xhi, something like that), and besides teaching the art of stealthy fighting, has spiritual disciplines included.

Now the way people of India descent in America are treated in The Simpsons, that is politically incorrect. I have never, ever seen people from India depicted well in TV or movies, in spite of the fact that all the Indian people I have ever known have been smart, wise, kind, well above average in human qualities.
yes you are right, what i dont like is when someone says..i was on the phone with an indian, i could hardly understand him. i wonder how well he could speak indian? so who is smarter.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
yes you are right, what i dont like is when someone says..i was on the phone with an indian, i could hardly understand him. i wonder how well he could speak indian? so who is smarter.
it strange though when you get confused when dealing with another english speaking country, i was the australian agent for a company from usa, it took me a while to understand dates, we put day then month usa do it other way so 7th august looks like 8th july.

VU Sponsors