Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it strange though when you get confused when dealing with another english speaking country, i was the australian agent for a company from usa, it took me a while to understand dates, we put day then month usa do it other way so 7th august looks like 8th july.
Sure, it can sometimes be difficult to communicate, like the many times we panicked when seeing a date done backwards from how we've always done it. In some countries they drive on the wrong side of the bloody road, but that doesn't mean anybody is stupid.

It took me a long time to figure out the English saying "keep yer pecker up". Gawd o_O

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of the good old days, I was remembering when you could go to the airport and proceed to your flight without waiting in a line to take off your shoes, remove your keys and electronics from your bags, put them in a tray, go through a scanner, go back to take the metal clip out of your hair, go through again, and have some security baboon yell at you. Our society used to be mellow, courteous and friendly. If I could ever believe the reasons for the enhanced and ever growing security apparatus were real, I might feel better about it, but as things have rolled out in the last 2-plus decades, I feel the security apparatus is a giant parasite.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Sure, it can sometimes be difficult to communicate, like the many times we panicked when seeing a date done backwards from how we've always done it. In some countries they drive on the wrong side of the bloody road, but that doesn't mean anybody is stupid.

It took me a long time to figure out the English saying "keep yer pecker up". Gawd o_O
your right trouble is these days there are to many dicks on the road that dont know which is the right or wrong side.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Speaking of the good old days, I was remembering when you could go to the airport and proceed to your flight without waiting in a line to take off your shoes, remove your keys and electronics from your bags, put them in a tray, go through a scanner, go back to take the metal clip out of your hair, go through again, and have some security baboon yell at you. Our society used to be mellow, courteous and friendly. If I could ever believe the reasons for the enhanced and ever growing security apparatus were real, I might feel better about it, but as things have rolled out in the last 2-plus decades, I feel the security apparatus is a giant parasite.
yes but these days those deviots just want to frisk you for a quick feel or see you on the scan camera.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I can see the political incorrectness of depicting any culture as being full of ignorance, laziness or any other negative trait
what i dont like is when someone says..i was on the phone with an indian, i could hardly understand him

I think that's something other than political.

What did you say? I could hardly understand you. IDC who it is or what language they speak or where they're from or what their culture is.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that's something other than political.

What did you say? I could hardly understand you. IDC who it is or what language they speak or where they're from or what their culture is.
I'm not sure what you're saying, Vape Fan. Politics is people-tics, so trying to type cast any particular ethnic or racial group or religious group, or accuse the whole group of one uniform ideology, or criticize them as one whole, or depict them all as backward, superstitious fools (as you see with the way people from India are depicted in movies and TV), is political. In the 90's I listened to politicians yammering on about black people and gangs and crime. Now I'm listening to them, many of them being the same old washed up, corrupted career congress critters, nattering on about white people and christians. It is the use of groups as political straw men, to create a problem from thin air and then try and force a solution, usually with ulterior motives for forcing the so called solution, which is why a problem is needed in the first place.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Big ol' platforms were popular in the 90's too. I was afraid to try to walk in them, even though they would have given me more height and longer legs. Too far from the ground for me.

They're back in style again now. As they say:

There is nothing new under the sun.
and
Everything old will be new again.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm not sure what you're saying, Vape Fan. Politics is people-tics, so trying to type cast any particular ethnic or racial group or religious group, or accuse the whole group of one uniform ideology, or criticize them as one whole, or depict them all as backward, superstitious fools (as you see with the way people from India are depicted in movies and TV), is political. In the 90's I listened to politicians yammering on about black people and gangs and crime. Now I'm listening to them, many of them being the same old washed up, corrupted career congress critters, nattering on about white people and christians. It is the use of groups as political straw men, to create a problem from thin air and then try and force a solution, usually with ulterior motives for forcing the so called solution, which is why a problem is needed in the first place.
I don't agree. I call it racism and discrimination.

jjcordone

Member For 4 Years
Remember when we avoided buying from China, because it meant waiting a month to get it delivered?
Standard amount of time now for a US delivery, since we've been forced to use 3rd tier delivery services.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Remember when we started getting flooded w/things, cheaper/knock off items in stores, made in china?
Remember hearing it was bad for US co's / businesses / product quality?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember when we started getting flooded w/things, cheaper/knock off items in stores, made in china?
Remember hearing it was bad for US co's / businesses / product quality?
These days, it no longer matters where it's made. Chances are the parts ain't made in the US. Often, the parts are made in China, and assembled in Mexico. People have grown accustomed to being penny pinchers when it comes to their consumables, knowing it's going to break or break down soon.

It does seem the only production done in the US that we can't do without is farming / ranching, and buildings... from making the steel beams to to people that finish the structures. You could claim cars and trucks, but even Chevys and Fords are built using parts made elsewhere.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These days, it no longer matters where it's made. Chances are the parts ain't made in the US. Often, the parts are made in China, and assembled in Mexico. People have grown accustomed to being penny pinchers when it comes to their consumables, knowing it's going to break or break down soon.

It does seem the only production done in the US that we can't do without is farming / ranching, and buildings... from making the steel beams to to people that finish the structures. You could claim cars and trucks, but even Chevys and Fords are built using parts made elsewhere.
How sadly true.

Yeah but they are prolly tryin to come up with something to get around all that too :rolleyes: , greedy bastards

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I can remember when Japan was the big threat for foreign goods and were considered the cheap stuff, now stuff from Japan is considered quality
I can remember that too. Steel toys is one. While they made some of their own, they bought up some top US name brands.
Kitchen Aid is another that comes to mind right now. Used to be all US made like tanks, last for generations and easily repaired. Now they're cheaply made with cheap motors.
This was and is a delima. We want the lower cost,,, but at what price? Cheaply made non-pairable so you buy another, foreign companies instead of here with our workers. Then we get dependent. We were warned.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember that too. Steel toys is one. While they made some of their own, they bought up some top US name brands.
Kitchen Aid is another that comes to mind right now. Used to be all US made like tanks, last for generations and easily repaired. Now they're cheaply made with cheap motors.
This was and is a delima. We want the lower cost,,, but at what price? Cheaply made non-pairable so you buy another, foreign companies instead of here with our workers. Then we get dependent. We were warned.
Yeah. That was when Americans still took pride in their work, rather than just showing up and doing the bare minimum just for the paycheck. Of course, corporations seemed to have paid better back then and cared more about employees than they do now. That is, until you discuss those whom produce that which is not produced in other countries. My hubby works at one of the plants where building parts are made and shipped to locations. He makes more money painting steel beams than another company in town pays certified welders, and gets more hours and benefits.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes and now those are considered quality, look at the junk from China, lead painted, garbage filled, crazy what greed can do

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember a time before cable/satalite when we depended on these to get different channels
Vintage Antique Television Antenna/Rabbit Ears

Or these

May be an image of text that says 'Go out there and turn that antennae around and I'll yell out when the picture comes in better.'

Signals weren't nearly as strong as they are now

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Who remembers getting FREE road maps at gas stations, they all had them and they were always free, now you pay for air, pump your own gas, you don't even get a thank youanymore :facepalm:
Yup and they checked your oil and tires and radiator as well.
U guys r some old mufuggerz, lol
Older than dirt... :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some of these fellas are old enough to be my pa, and I recollect most of this shit. But then, I remember stuff from back when I was just 3 years old.

We had the big ol black and white console TV with the knobs on the back for adjusting the vertical, horizontal, and all that. Then there was the console sized record player with storage under it for albums. We still had 8 track players back then too. I played Pink Floyd: The Wall until it wore out. My records got stole by my adoptive brother and destroyed. I still have cassette tapes from back then.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Big ol' platforms were popular in the 90's too. I was afraid to try to walk in them, even though they would have given me more height and longer legs. Too far from the ground for me.

They're back in style again now. As they say:

There is nothing new under the sun.
and
Everything old will be new again.
i spent all my teen age years in ben sherman shirts, levi jeans you sat in the bath with them on to make them fit perfectly and doc martin boots. now 50 yrs later..i see them everyday but the cost!!!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i spent all my teen age years in ben sherman shirts, levi jeans you sat in the bath with them on to make them fit perfectly and doc martin boots. now 50 yrs later..i see them everyday but the cost!!!
I think maybe Doc Martens always have and always will be important, popular, because they are sturdy and useful. In the 90's they were almost taken over, made iconic, by the skinheads (a real racist neo nazi movement you don't hear about anymore). Thank goodness that didn't stick.

Doc Martens are relatively expensive now though. They weren't always.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
why do we pay more to wear a brand name? they should pay us for advertising plus all brand names are made over in who flung dung land.
Some things are not worth the cost of the label, but are madly popular, and have long since moved their manufacturing to China. I have a weakness for the original USA made Coach leather. Coach is made in China now, but I get the vintage USA hand made pieces gently used on Ebay, like the big tan leather duffel I use as my carry-on for flights. I also have second hand Ralph Lauren bags that are beautifully made, with perfect even stitches, pieces that last and last and last. Any little scratch wipes off with lavender essential oil.

These things make me hate "going shopping". I've made my discoveries of what's worth the money, how to save money getting them, how to take care of them. "Going shopping" is the mouse wheel people use in continuous search of those discoveries.

Louis Vuitton is also beautifully made and sturdy to last decades, but I can't afford it, not even used. I bought a little tambourine bag when Ebay was new, unused but second hand for 35.00, unbelievable, and it had clear signs of being authentic, in big close-up pics the seller put on the listing, which I won't go into here. It was the last Vuitton deal I ever found. I gave it to one of my nieces.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers getting FREE road maps at gas stations, they all had them and they were always free, now you pay for air, pump your own gas, you don't even get a thank youanymore :facepalm:
Full service stations aren't from that long ago, but now I need a refill of that squirty liquid, you know, that you pull the switch and it splashes your windshield and starts the wipers to clean all the leafblower crap off your windshield. Since the covid era my nearby station has had limited hours, and nobody ever comes out to help even when the lights are on inside.

I always tipped the full service people nicely too.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember a time before cable/satalite when we depended on these to get different channels
Vintage Antique Television Antenna/Rabbit Ears

Or these

May be an image of text that says 'Go out there and turn that antennae around and I'll yell out when the picture comes in better.''Go out there and turn that antennae around and I'll yell out when the picture comes in better.'

Signals weren't nearly as strong as they are now
I don't have cable TV. I have a contemporary flat screen TV, but after trying and returning several different antennae, I ended up with a heavy iron "kable kutter" (I think?) brand antenna to get any reception at all. It hides well though, behind one of the loveseats.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I risk getting on a soapbox with a rant, but I truly believe I can trace how our manufacturing has been gradually and deliberately moved abroad, always seeking the lowest level where there are no expectations of fair wages or safe working conditions among the workers, so our "uppity" labor force could be squashed.

People believe China is communist, but it is corporate fascist feudalist, and if workers protest, which they sometimes do, they'll be hauled off and executed for the organ transplant market.

I'm hushing up now.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Sad but very true :(
I worked at one for 5 months at a young age in return for an old junk 1952 Chevy that needed a head, I made a good runnin little car out of it
everbody needs a head jimmi lol oops

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Full service stations aren't from that long ago, but now I need a refill of that squirty liquid, you know, that you pull the switch and it splashes your windshield and starts the wipers to clean all the leafblower crap off your windshield. Since the covid era my nearby station has had limited hours, and nobody ever comes out to help even when the lights are on inside.

I always tipped the full service people nicely too.
There is one full service station half way to the nearest city. A really old guy runs it. You pretty much have to write down the dollar amount of gas you want. Hubby told him "$15.00", and the guy thought he said "$50.00", when his fuel tank could not even hold that much.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Some things are not worth the cost of the label, but are madly popular, and have long since moved their manufacturing to China. I have a weakness for the original USA made Coach leather. Coach is made in China now, but I get the vintage USA hand made pieces gently used on Ebay, like the big tan leather duffel I use as my carry-on for flights. I also have second hand Ralph Lauren bags that are beautifully made, with perfect even stitches, pieces that last and last and last. Any little scratch wipes off with lavender essential oil.

These things make me hate "going shopping". I've made my discoveries of what's worth the money, how to save money getting them, how to take care of them. "Going shopping" is the mouse wheel people use in continuous search of those discoveries.

Louis Vuitton is also beautifully made and sturdy to last decades, but I can't afford it, not even used. I bought a little tambourine bag when Ebay was new, unused but second hand for 35.00, unbelievable, and it had clear signs of being authentic, in big close-up pics the seller put on the listing, which I won't go into here. It was the last Vuitton deal I ever found. I gave it to one of my nieces.
good onya, keep it up you are good.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
good onya, keep it up you are good.
i have mentioned my levis and ben sherman shirts before but another brand of jeans i always liked were wrangles, i dont know whether they were from usa originally. now i love clothes from Connor. shirts and jeans and casual jackets. they are priced fair and last, if buying them always get a size bigger as they are a strange fit, and yes they are made in china. casual shoe wise i only buy wild rhino, they are beautiful.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A while ago I looked outside and saw a family taking an evening walk. The two kids were skipping behind the parents. I remembered what it felt like to skip. The height you achieved became important as you skipped along. It felt almost like taking off in flight. Does that make sense? When do we stop skipping, and why?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A while ago I looked outside and saw a family taking an evening walk. The two kids were skipping behind the parents. I remembered what it felt like to skip. The height you achieved became important as you skipped along. It felt almost like taking off in flight. Does that make sense? When do we stop skipping, and why?
That's a very good question. My guess is when the seriousness of life steps in :(

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My guess is when the seriousness of life steps in :(

I think that's true.

I was talking about it with a friend I had dinner with tonite, and once she started talking about it too, she was as plagued as I was with the craving to skip all over town. So we settled on skipping across the parking lot to our cars. It was exhilerating.

So when I got home I put the question in my Brave search engine, when do we stop skipping and why. The top result was this:

From reading that, it would seem that everybody who walks for exercise should skip instead. Everyone who runs or jogs should skip instead, for more fun and better physical training.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that's true.

I was talking about it with a friend I had dinner with tonite, and once she started talking about it too, she was as plagued as I was with the craving to skip all over town. So we settled on skipping across the parking lot to our cars. It was exhilerating.

So when I got home I put the question in my Brave search engine, when do we stop skipping and why. The top result was this:

From reading that, it would seem that everybody who walks for exercise should skip instead. Everyone who runs or jogs should skip instead, for more fun and better physical training.
Food for thought: picture an older person skipping. Somebody is going to call the police to have them make sure you are OK. Most people will avoid you, thinking you are a lunatic. Clown clothes and makeup will make you seem more normal, and make them wonder where the party is.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I think that's true.

skipping burns far far more calories than walking does. it is how most boxers develop their leg muscles my surgeon told me after my brain aneurysm to skip every day.

VU Sponsors