Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of text
I remember the cigarette vending machines as well.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Remember the good old days when matchbox cars actually came in cardboard boxes? The bottom of the cars was made of the same pot metal as the body of the cars, instead of plastic. Good luck finding them anymore. Even at the flea market, vendors try to sell the ones with plastic bottoms as vintage.

23e61ac52fe1d7fca4f9fd85ceb88dab.jpg

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Remember the good old days when matchbox cars actually came in cardboard boxes? The bottom of the cars was made of the same pot metal as the body of the cars, instead of plastic. Good luck finding them anymore. Even at the flea market, vendors try to sell the ones with plastic bottoms as vintage.

View attachment 202810
that toy is worth so much

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do they still have those, been forever since I went to school?

I'd sure like to have those cars today in that condition.
I remember taking Basic Auto in high school back in 1984. Half the class were girls. Since I was not allowed to have a car of my own, my guidance counselor let me work on his car. It needed a lot of work. At the end of the semester, it was running well enough that he sold it, and bought a new car.

Cars these days are stuffed with computers, and everything is fuel injected. No way can a student be taught about adjusting points and carburetors on those. Good luck even getting to half the spark plugs on most engines without removing several components.

Automotive classes these days are college-taught, and require computer knowledge as well, so you pretty much need a degree in IT as well as automotive technology.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I remember taking Basic Auto in high school back in 1984. Half the class were girls. Since I was not allowed to have a car of my own, my guidance counselor let me work on his car. It needed a lot of work. At the end of the semester, it was running well enough that he sold it, and bought a new car.

Cars these days are stuffed with computers, and everything is fuel injected. No way can a student be taught about adjusting points and carburetors on those. Good luck even getting to half the spark plugs on most engines without removing several components.

Automotive classes these days are college-taught, and require computer knowledge as well, so you pretty much need a degree in IT as well as automotive technology.
Yes and no, its just a matter of a school system being able to afford the diagnostic equipment the students, who have more computer knowledge than most mechanics in general, to have access to.

they could still teach small engine repair, lawnmowers, boat engines, some motorcycle engines...all good canditates for points and carb instruction, and in a world where those kind of cars are going to be worth millions once they stop mfging gas powered vehicles might be worth learning for the right people

Finding cars like that at this time are even more expensive than the diagnostic equipment to work on new cars because everyone in the world now wants to restore them

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes and no, its just a matter of a school system being able to afford the diagnostic equipment the students, who have more computer knowledge than most mechanics in general, to have access to.

they could still teach small engine repair, lawnmowers, boat engines, some motorcycle engines...all good canditates for points and carb instruction, and in a world where those kind of cars are going to be worth millions once they stop mfging gas powered vehicles might be worth learning for the right people

Finding cars like that at this time are even more expensive than the diagnostic equipment to work on new cars because everyone in the world now wants to restore them

We did still have those courses in the early 90's, welding, electricians, autorepair, cosmetology, it was called vo-tech, vocational technology. that was how schools used to churn out work ready adults at 18 instead of 35 year old children. once they locked down schools, no child left behind, everyone gets a 4.0 gpa and if u dont get a perfect sat score u didnt study, than at least 4-8 years in a 100k unbankrupable debt to go to college is the only path for many people. its everything that was predicted in the early 90's about 30 years in the future which now is all coming true about student loans

What should be maybe suggested is trying to get the ahead of the game and learn to work on electric vehicles. they have the knowledge, believe me, the cars and diagnostic equipment is what is needed.

Maybe ELON MUSK could provide that to schools since he was so generous about providing the technology free to car companies to further the knowledge. RIGHT KNOW THE ONLY SCHOOLS THAT CAN AFFORD IT ARE THE FOR-PROFIT', POST HIGHSCOOL SCHOOLS LIKE LINCOLN TECH.

with the internet for knowledge, and the ability to train highschool students, solves that prob, it also allows for learning of trades where if u work in a union state, is neccessary to get a leg up in their union apprentiship program.

Sorry for the on and on post, but its something i was denied, because i was on the 'go to college track' even tho eveyone agrees now that was the biggest mistake made by my school system and beyond my control.

I will say tho, when we were 12-13 we did have a shop and metal class, a typing class on typewriters, i guess that was when they determined who should go to vo-tech or not in highschool. the people whole failed averything but those courses got routed to votech, rhe people who did well in both got routed to the college track and vo-tech students just tought the reading righting rithmatic that someone not intending to go to college needs (not music courses, or free study periods, etc, just the basics), then spent have the day at the vo-tech complex to learn trades
To be fair, I did not take auto class to learn to be a mechanic. It was Basic Auto. The course was to teach students (whose folks refused to teach) to know how to work on their own cars. Some of that is still useful; such as changing oil, changing tires, checking fluids, changing plugs if you can get to them.

It sure beats being some dummy on the side of the road having to call for a wrecker over a flat tire.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I have had to teach how to repair a flat to younger generations, completely flabergasted they wouldnt know this basic skill, jumping a car battery, that kind of stuff, absolutely.

Could be done in The school parking lot

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
This reminded me of my high school economics class designed to make us functional in the real world. it consisted of balancing a checkbook mostly

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I'll start out with remembering every Thanksgivin when I was young "The Wisard Of Oz" was always on on that day

The Wizard of Oz (1939 film)​

Now, here, they quit brodcasting it on Thanksgivin :(
hey jimmi, i feel like tin man

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was just cleaning out an old metal cabinet of some junk my mom had. Most of it was nothing but junk. Then, I found something unique. I never heard of it, but it is some old remedy. Of all things, it contains hemlock.

20230317_152942.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Is older gooder? If you were going to paint your house you might get something like this, when you bought lead paste in a handmade wood bucket with a brand's brass label on it, because no tin ones yet. You might have used a round brush like what Germans used when they came to US.
1679097264513.jpeg
You'd mix the paste with linseed oil/turpentine, possibly from such a jug with again their brass label on it, with cork stopper because no caps.
1679097655637.jpeg
If you wanted a color you might look at something like this.
1679097912255.jpeg
Then make the color using tints from a lead tube.
1679097762837.jpeg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Being tied to the back of a car like that does look risky. In college we used to steal dining hall trays to slide down snowy slopes, on the rare occasions of snow in Texas. In warm weather we swung from a rope tied to a tree, into the river. Those were the days.

And yeah, on summer vacations when any kid sees a body of water, they want to get in it, so I know for sure my brothers and I, and our cousins, were followed around by water moccasins in many watering holes.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
they could still teach small engine repair, lawnmowers, boat engines, some motorcycle engines...all good canditates for points and carb instruction
This was taught in our welding class at the tech center. I took down a 30K fuel powered lathe, cleaned each part, put it back together blind.

The instructor swore he had "lost" the manual "years and years ago". I was left over with about 4 bolts, 6 nuts, a couple of washers. He chuckled as it started right up and ran fine.

I HATE bellbottoms. They were popular in the 90's too, and it was hard to find jeans that didn't have those clownish legs on them.
They serve a good purpose at sea. Knot the ankle end of legs, pop the waist in the air over your head, catch the air. You got a life vest to put your head into.

The bottoms are belled, so you can get them on and off over boon dockers. Boon dockers are boots made specifically to not let coral cut your feet. Wear them a day, it feels like you're trudging with 16 lb led filled feet. Wear them a month, you'll love them for life.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would love having a couple pair of bell-bottoms. Doing so would get me killed by my wife. She also dislikes them.

"The world takes all kinds." *shrugs, nods*

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1916 Sears catalog home. They shipped the entire house to you by railroad car. Sears was like Ikea before Ikea.
Friends and family would come from all around to help the owner build it.
Most were built in New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Sears sold more than 70,000 mail-order homes between 1908 and 1940. Some enthusiasts estimate that about 70% of Sears houses are still standing today.
Sears provided building plans and specifications, along with the lumber and any other materials needed. The shipment included everything from nails, screws, and paint to prebuilt building parts, such as staircases and dining nooks.

May be an image of text that says 'MODERN HOME No. 264B179 $93800 PANTRY KITCHEN 10-2x12-3 DINING ROOM 12-3x12-6 RooF BALCONY BED ROOM 10-6x10-9 BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 LIVING ROOM 12-3x140 RECEPTION HALL 11-3x12-3 BED ROOM 10-6x149 26-0 PORCH BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 EEA ROoF FIRST FLOOR PLAN- -SECOND FLOOR PLAN- $1.00 buys the complete plans, specifications and bill of material for this house. $938.00 pays for all of the material, with the exception of cement, brick and plaster, for this house, when purchased from us.'

And built better than most today

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
1916 Sears catalog home. They shipped the entire house to you by railroad car. Sears was like Ikea before Ikea.
Friends and family would come from all around to help the owner build it.
Most were built in New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Sears sold more than 70,000 mail-order homes between 1908 and 1940. Some enthusiasts estimate that about 70% of Sears houses are still standing today.
Sears provided building plans and specifications, along with the lumber and any other materials needed. The shipment included everything from nails, screws, and paint to prebuilt building parts, such as staircases and dining nooks.

May be an image of text that says 'MODERN HOME No. 264B179 $93800 PANTRY KITCHEN 10-2x12-3 DINING ROOM 12-3x12-6 RooF BALCONY BED ROOM 10-6x10-9 BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 LIVING ROOM 12-3x140 RECEPTION HALL 11-3x12-3 BED ROOM 10-6x149 26-0 PORCH BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 EEA ROoF FIRST FLOOR PLAN- -SECOND FLOOR PLAN- $1.00 buys the complete plans, specifications and bill of material for this house. $938.00 pays for all of the material, with the exception of cement, brick and plaster, for this house, when purchased from us.''MODERN HOME No. 264B179 $93800 PANTRY KITCHEN 10-2x12-3 DINING ROOM 12-3x12-6 RooF BALCONY BED ROOM 10-6x10-9 BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 LIVING ROOM 12-3x140 RECEPTION HALL 11-3x12-3 BED ROOM 10-6x149 26-0 PORCH BED ROOM 10-6x10-6 EEA ROoF FIRST FLOOR PLAN- -SECOND FLOOR PLAN- $1.00 buys the complete plans, specifications and bill of material for this house. $938.00 pays for all of the material, with the exception of cement, brick and plaster, for this house, when purchased from us.'

And built better than most today
Craftsman homes bring doh. Usually in historic districts around here.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We still have a couple of great independent ones for new stuff, Hogwild Records, Flipside, and for used and vintage I think Half Price books, pawn shops and thrift shops are great places to browse music. I don't miss the big Sound Warehouse type places. One of those big empty buildngs near me was taken over by a barbecue restaurant :)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Im goin with heater of some kind, maybe in the form of a kitchen or laundry device or appliance

Edit-i guess toaster

Last edited:

VU Sponsors