Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
costume stinker..i remember as a kid wondering if womens boobs were conical and pointy!

Haha. But Lana Turner had one of the best figures in movie history. I don't think they ever did anything to enhance her. This is a publicity shot from "The Prodigal".

L Turner Prodigal.JPG

One night when I was channel flipping the TV, I stumbled onto this movie. I was immediately wishing I had one of these gun bras:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Haha. But Lana Turner had one of the best figures in movie history. I don't think they ever did anything to enhance her. This is a publicity shot from "The Prodigal".

View attachment 203799

One night when I was channel flipping the TV, I stumbled onto this movie. I was immediately wishing I had one of these gun bras:
she was beautiful

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who had a set of these when they were a kid? They still sell them but they have a lot of plastic in them, the old ones were all wood

May be an image of 4 people

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can remember this time, honestly things were better back then

May be an image of 7 people and text that says 'Not So Long Ago Price of a movie ticket: 46 cents. Price of fresh popcorn: 5 cents. Feeling the excitement of going with your best friends to the movies: Priceless!''Not So Long Ago Price of a movie ticket: 46 cents. Price of fresh popcorn: 5 cents. Feeling the excitement of going with your best friends to the movies: Priceless!'

Haha, seeing a movie at the theatre really was an elevated experience, the smell of popcorn, the gathering crowd, the anticipation, even the intermission ads. All of the theatres closed during Cootie19, but even by then I think they were dying out because of home viewing products, first the VHS, then the DVD, then the convenience store "red box" and movie rental stores. Now even the red box and DVD stores are fading away in the face of subscription services like Netflix, and now there are free movies all over the place online, YouTube, Tubitv. I'm planning to watch Apocalypto on Tubitv.com in a little while, if I can quit playing around on this forum and make some breakfast-lunch.

The theatre experience now is to have friends over for dinner and a movie. I guess life is what you make it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think 85 inch flat screen tv's r what is really sounding the deathnail for the 'public' movie theatre, vs everyones own personal home cinema.

Yep, a couple of my friends have those. In a home situation they're equivalent to the in-theatre giant screen you can see from 25 rows away. In my apartment really we're good with my 24". Everybody can see it just fine, sitting on my loveseats and ottomans. I usually just sit on my desk chair so my guests can have the more choice viewing positions, and I can get up to go in the kitchen for refills of snacks.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Between our massive DVD collection and free streaming services, we can watch movies til the cows come home. That said, we go see movies in theaters when really good ones come out, but we have to drive 45 minutes to get to the closest theater.

But then, when I was little, we didn't go to theaters to watch movies anyways. If we wanted to watch anything, it was the old console TVs. It was more fun to go outside and play.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who remembers this show

May be an image of 2 people and text

"HARVEY" THE MOVIE RELEASED IN USA MOVIE THEATERS IN 1955
"HARVEY " PLAY WINS PULITZER PRIZE MAY 7, 1945
"Harvey" premiered on Broadway on November 1, 1944, at the 48th Street Theatre and closed on January 15, 1949, after 1,775 performances.
Harvey is a 1944 play by the American playwright Mary Chase. Chase received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for the work in 1945. It has been adapted for film and television several times, most notably in a 1950 film starring James Stewart.
Harvey premiered on Broadway on November 1, 1944, at the 48th Street Theatre and closed on January 15, 1949, after 1,775 performances. The original production was directed by Antoinette Perry and produced by Brock Pemberton and starred Frank Fay as Elwood P. Dowd and Josephine Hull as Elwood's sister Veta. Elwood was subsequently played during this run by Joe E. Brown, Jack Buchanan, and James Stewart.
HARVEY the movie: Harvey is a 1950 American comedy-drama film based on Mary Chase's play of the same name, directed by Henry Koster, and starring James Stewart and Josephine Hull. The story is about a man whose best friend is a pooka named Harvey – in the form of a six-foot-3.5 in. invisible rabbit.
Elwood P. Dowd (Stewart) is a middle-aged, amiable though somewhat eccentric man whose best friend is an invisible 6 foot 3.5 inch tall rabbit named Harvey. As described by Dowd, Harvey is a pooka, a benign but mischievous creature from Celtic mythology who is especially fond of social outcasts (like Elwood). Elwood has driven his sister and niece (who live with him and crave normality and a place in society) to distraction by introducing everyone he meets to his friend, Harvey. His family seems to be unsure whether Dowd's obsession with Harvey is a product of his (admitted) propensity to drink or perhaps mental illness.
-------------------------------------------------------

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KERMIT the FROG
Kermit made his TV debut on May 9, 1955
He was created by Jim Henson, who cut up his mother’s old turquoise felt coat to make the body, and then added a ping pong ball sliced in half for the eyes. (That original Kermit prototype is now in the Smithsonian Museum.)
Kermit made his TV debut on May 9, 1955 on a local Washington D.C. show developed by Henson and Jane Nebel, called “Sam and Friends.”
At first, Kermit wasn’t a frog, and he wasn’t even the star of the show (Sam was) but in 1969 Kermit was featured in “Hey, Cinderella!” on ABC - where he was made a brighter, froggier shade of green for color TV and had his famous pointed collar added to hide the seams between his head and body - and was a co-star on PBS’ new show Sesame Street.
He soon became the icon of the Muppets.
Kermit also has not one, but two, signature songs:
(It’s Not that Easy) Bein’ Green - written by Joe Raposo in 1970
The Rainbow Connection - written by Paul Williams in 1979
In languages other than English, Kermit even has different names.
Here are just a few:
In Portugal, Kermit is called Cocas o Sapo.
In Brazil, his name is similar: Caco, o Sapo.
In most of the Hispanic American nations, his name is la rana René.
In Spain, Kermit is called Gustavo.
In Arab speaking countries, he is known as Kamel, which is a common Arabic male name that means "perfect.”
In Hungary, Kermit is referred to as Breki
Sadly, his original voice and alter ego, Jim Henson, passed away in 1990 at the untimely age of 53, but Kermit lives on - always carrying Henson’s spirit of gentility, friendship and peace and spreading his message of love, light, happiness, inclusion, diversity, and humor to the next generation.

May be an image of text that says 'Happy Kermit The Frog Birthday'

May be an illustration of text

VU Sponsors