Become a Patron!

The Good Old Times

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Who's old enough to have had one of these

No photo description available.
Jimi - that looks like toaster from way back to me. Seems like my aunt had one.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember when you could take a flight without having to take off your shoes, be scanned all over with one of those scanning thingies, and have airport security goons scream at you. The last time I connected at Newark for international, the TSA lady grilled me, literally screaming at me "why is this passport so new"? Not that it was any of her damn business why my valid passport was new, but I didn't want to be dragged away, disappeared and held indefinitely on the so called Patriot Act, so I explained that I'd express renewed my expired passport for a last minute trip.

Then another baboon asked me what I was wearing underneath my blazer. "My bra". Another one of them laughed.

I'm a mild mannered, clean, neatly dressed person who waits politely in lines and acts respectful.

Ugh, air travel used to be fun, light hearted, exciting, an elevated experience. Now it's just a grind.

TSA goons.JPG

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
1st time flying. Summer of 6th-7th grade. Sister and I. TWA Airlines. Phx to St Louis. Phx Sky Harbor was one small building. Walked onto the tarmac and up the stairs to board. No other passengers. So we got the run of first class. :)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1st time flying. Summer of 6th-7th grade. Sister and I. TWA Airlines. Phx to St Louis. Phx Sky Harbor was one small building. Walked onto the tarmac and up the stairs to board. No other passengers. So we got the run of first class. :)
They have built real airports in Costa Rica since it started to become so popular a decade or two ago, but when I went there the Guanacaste pass-through to board was literally a converted cow shed. I felt it was very amusing and charming.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I remember when you could take a flight without having to take off your shoes, be scanned all over with one of those scanning thingies, and have airport security goons scream at you. The last time I connected at Newark for international, the TSA lady grilled me, literally screaming at me "why is this passport so new"? Not that it was any of her damn business why my valid passport was new, but I didn't want to be dragged away, disappeared and held indefinitely on the so called Patriot Act, so I explained that I'd express renewed my expired passport for a last minute trip.

Then another baboon asked me what I was wearing underneath my blazer. "My bra". Another one of them laughed.

I'm a mild mannered, clean, neatly dressed person who waits politely in lines and acts respectful.

Ugh, air travel used to be fun, light hearted, exciting, an elevated experience. Now it's just a grind.

View attachment 203516
on my way to australia from england, we stopped over at the Philippines, i took a photo from inside looking at all the planes on the runway. within seconds i was jabbed in the back, i turned around to find a soldier pointing a machine gun at me, he started screaming stuff and sweating, yes i thought this is it! thankfully a pilot who was walking past said something to the chinky, then more came. it turned out that a sheik was landing and the red carpets etc were out, someone saw a reflection from the carpet outside and set of security as they thought someone was a sniper waiting to shoot the sheik!
it was the few times i really really was worried.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Remember when you could accidently take a fully loaded including the chamber 380 Barretta in our carry on? But forgot it was in there because you checked it? Then remebered once the plane was in the air? and you though you'd be going to jail because someone got on at a stop and sat in the isle seat across from you? and they had a lanyard around their neck that had FAA on it? and a fight attendant wouldn't let you off the plane even though you told them you'd be right back?

Oh wait, that wasn't that long ago. Just long enough to be post 9/11. And nothing happened. 😲

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The last time I flew was back when folks were still allowed to smoke on board a plane, unless the No Smoking lights were on. Of course that was pre 9/11, and before they crammed the seats so close together that passengers have to fight over petty bullshit. You could carry knives onto the plane, and nobody cared. These days, trying to get onto a plane must be like getting booked into the county jail. Be sure you ain't got shoelaces or a belt. They could be used as weapons.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Remember when there was only peanut butter that needed to be stirred?

Before most decided that hydrogenated would sell better (but at the cost of more health concern)? And like most now, you have to pay more if it's better for you, even if it costs less to produce. :mad:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
The last time I flew was back when folks were still allowed to smoke on board a plane, unless the No Smoking lights were on. Of course that was pre 9/11, and before they crammed the seats so close together that passengers have to fight over petty bullshit. You could carry knives onto the plane, and nobody cared. These days, trying to get onto a plane must be like getting booked into the county jail. Be sure you ain't got shoelaces or a belt. They could be used as weapons.
when i stopped off at manila, there was a smoking room, it was around 6metres square total grass walls and ceiling with a load of people in but you could only see their outlines, i pushed the door open and the bloody smoke literally hit my face like a fist! i reckon i had 10 cancer sticks from that cloud. there were cigars,pipes god knows how many joints it was putrid. apparently the room was totally changed in that there was a guard letting people in and a time allowance to get you out fast, however the main reason for the change was because in the first month of use, with visibility being zero inside, there were loads of complaints from woman who were getting touched up. so much for having a smoke after sex, over there its both at same time!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Remember when you could accidently take a fully loaded including the chamber 380 Barretta in our carry on? But forgot it was in there because you checked it? Then remebered once the plane was in the air? and you though you'd be going to jail because someone got on at a stop and sat in the isle seat across from you? and they had a lanyard around their neck that had FAA on it? and a fight attendant wouldn't let you off the plane even though you told them you'd be right back?

Oh wait, that wasn't that long ago. Just long enough to be post 9/11. And nothing happened. 😲
i went for a look at ireland, while i was there someone gave me a rubber bullet, it was super hard rubbery stuff around 5 inches long, shaped like a candle with spirals dug into it. when we were leaving ireland i put it into my friends suit case, coming through customs they asked my friend what it was, jokingly i said it was her sex toy! i got a huge laugh and also the hardest slap you could get!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a while back, someone mentioned the old rad lanterns. I happened across one my step-dad had stashed under a stack of old windows I need to discard. the frames are really in that bad of condition. The lantern seems to be in really good condition, surprisingly.

20230409_154802.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Remember this old show, first aired on TV on April 4th 1960

No photo description available.

They always used to play this in the Easter season also 10 commandments
I just watched that again bout a week or so ago. Had been yrs, or decades. Great movie. 11 Academy Awards
"A remake of the 1925 silent film with a similar title, it was adapted from Lew Wallace's 1880 novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ."

Box office[edit]​

During its initial release the film earned $33.6 million in North American theater rentals (the distributor's share of the box office), generating approximately $74.7 million in box office sales. It was number one at the monthly US box office for six months.[151] Outside of North America, it earned $32.5 million in rentals (about $72.2 million at the box office) for a worldwide total of $66.1 million in rental earnings, roughly equivalent to $146.9 million in box office receipts.[147] It was the fastest-grossing film[16] as well as the highest-grossing film of 1959,[152] in the process becoming the second-highest-grossing film of all-time (at that time) behind Gone with the Wind.[153][154] Ben-Hur saved MGM from financial disaster,[155] making a profit of $20,409,000 on its initial release,[4] and another $10.1 million in profits when re-released in 1969.[16] By 1989, Ben-Hur had earned $90 million in worldwide theatrical rentals.[156]

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just watched that again bout a week or so ago. Had been yrs, or decades. Great movie. 11 Academy Awards
"A remake of the 1925 silent film with a similar title, it was adapted from Lew Wallace's 1880 novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ."

Box office[edit]​

During its initial release the film earned $33.6 million in North American theater rentals (the distributor's share of the box office), generating approximately $74.7 million in box office sales. It was number one at the monthly US box office for six months.[151] Outside of North America, it earned $32.5 million in rentals (about $72.2 million at the box office) for a worldwide total of $66.1 million in rental earnings, roughly equivalent to $146.9 million in box office receipts.[147] It was the fastest-grossing film[16] as well as the highest-grossing film of 1959,[152] in the process becoming the second-highest-grossing film of all-time (at that time) behind Gone with the Wind.[153][154] Ben-Hur saved MGM from financial disaster,[155] making a profit of $20,409,000 on its initial release,[4] and another $10.1 million in profits when re-released in 1969.[16] By 1989, Ben-Hur had earned $90 million in worldwide theatrical rentals.[156]
Here they hack and gore movies on, WTF it's Easter. We didn't have any seasonal shows this year and I miss them, well I grew up with them

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Here they hack and gore movies on, WTF it's Easter. We didn't have any seasonal shows this year and I miss them, well I grew up with them
Now that i think if it, it was Easter that I watched it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Box office[edit]​

Some of those mid-century hollywood biblical over top movies are really very entertaining. I think panoramic wide screen was new in the 1950's-60's. I could be wrong about that.

I have "The Prodigal" on DVD. Lana Turner plays a high priestess of Astarte. She called it "a costume stinker", but it did well at the box office, and continues to sell with high ratings among DVD consumers.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some of those mid-century hollywood biblical over top movies are really very entertaining. I think panoramic wide screen was new in the 1950's-60's. I could be wrong about that.

I have "The Prodigal" on DVD. Lana Turner plays a high priestess of Astarte. She called it "a costume stinker", but it did well at the box office, and continues to sell with high ratings among DVD consumers.
I think you are right, it was in the 50's 60's era that panoramic came out ;)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
That's really cool, haven't seen one of those in years.
Do you remember the old carbide lanterns?
Well, I remember i've seen'm. I'm old but not ancient, yet, soon tho lol.
I haven't had the cap off that one yet, it's lite enough to not have a battery but idk what kind.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I remember i've seen'm. I'm old but not ancient, yet, soon tho lol.
I haven't had the cap off that one yet, it's lite enough to not have a battery but idk what kind.
I used to have an old carbide miners headband lamp. Sounds very safe huh? have you ever seen a carbide explosion :facepalm:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to have an old carbide miners headband lamp. Sounds very safe huh? have you ever seen a carbide explosion :facepalm:
carbide gives of acetylene gas when water is added so yeah very explosive.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
i was working on a large ship in the docks at scotland. a crane swung a load at knocked a gas welding set from the deck to the dockside. the valve on the oxygen bottle got sheared off. that bottle was like a torpedo! it was smashing all it hit and workers literally jumped into the sea!
the funnies one was the workers would mark with chalk what the oxy cutters had to cut out, they would cut out in the evening so we could grind during the day. the ss nothumbria was a ship with a deck wider than 2 soccer pitches. not the killer..3 apprentices played soccer at lunchtime on the ship. yup,,they marked a set of goals on the wall. 6 ft high x 8ft wide. guess what got cut out that night!!! 4 inch thick steel!! oh oh. bye bye job.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I have 2 of those. One holds water. The other could if I used JB Weld on all the holes from where someone used it for a garden pot.
the old country stores her in tasmania sell those old ones for $50-$60 bucks.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
it makes you think it was 100 years ago but in the town in england i lived in. it had a huge coal mine, even in 1966 they carried canneries down to check for gas and pulled the carts with shetland ponies, shit now i feel ancient.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

costume stinker..i remember as a kid wondering if womens boobs were conical and pointy!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Cool they had those when I was a kid, always wanted one but never got it :(
my uncle used to guard the ammunition dumps in the army he gave me 3 hand grenades no explosive of course but throwing those was hard work, i reckon the german stick grenades were designed better.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
yeah my father did that, i also remember you could buy ginger beer in a stone container that you used as a hot water bottle, you sometimes tossed and turned, kicked it, almost broke your toes and the noise as it fell onto the wooden floor woke up everyone,
i also remember getting fed up of my mate kicking my snowman over, so i built the next one around a pile of bricks!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Remember when Oil came in a can and everyone carried an oil spout in their cars

May be an image of indoor
yup and i remember my uncle cutting of a sleeve of his jumper, stuffing it and sowing a glove on. then he jammed it under the car boot hanging out like someone was in the boot.

VU Sponsors