Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, so I couldn't resist any longer ... One Merlin and one Boreas is headed my way shortly.

<--- I blame Sadie. My ISP went down a couple of hours ago and I took her for a walk after calling them. Talked it over with her and she convinced me.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
tease.gif

Love that dog ...

:)

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn it ft just moved the ship date on my merlin from the 28th to the 1st. Another 4 days. Grrr Ft is a pita. Just glad my boreas shipped out already. That should keep me happy until the merlin shows up. I would have ordered of a different site but I only paid 17.80 for it with the coupon code map. So I guess the wait is just a part of the awesome deal. But come on ft I'm already waiting long enough without you guys moving back dates. Guess I just needed to vent. Got it out of my system.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
While you're at it, having this and a complete list of oring sizes added to the first post would be awesome!

Yeah, I lost the small one inside the top cap the first time I took it apart to clean it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'll try to get that done this weekend for Boreas and Merlin. Come Monday I'll have 40 more attys to ship for contest winners.

Icipher84

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@roxynoodle How's the airflow compare to the serpent? I want to like the Serpent but the airflow is just meh to me. Me thinks I need more.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@roxynoodle How's the airflow compare to the serpent? I want to like the Serpent but the airflow is just meh to me. Me thinks I need more.

The Serpent has a larger airhole. I'm not aware of a single coil RTA with more airflow than the Serpent?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just wanted to say that the Merlin has THE best Juice control design Ive come across. All Juice control atties that I have tried have an inherent design pro/con.

That they can be wonderful, but if the temp drops or raises you need to adjust it and sometimes when on the go its hard. Another con is that as the juice level drops you need to close it off again or you start to pull liquid up the chimney and you get anything from light oozing/ condensation to quite a bit of flooding.

With the Merlin I have not found this happening so far. Its ingenious. I dont have to inhale carefully, I can pull hard or soft with no changes in pressure to the liquid contents. I use almost a 100% VG.

Im on my 10th refill?

The next big test will be the wick change and the rebuild. For some reason I often screw things up on the wick change. Most likely due to me thinking "I got this" and I dont think about what Im doing like the first time. I usually mess up on the amount of cotton, usually too much.

THe other big moment is the second complete rebuild.. Again mostly due to my lack of "thinking about it."
I usually forget some detail, such as what diameter did I make the coil, where was the coil placed over the air intake etc.

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While you're at it, having this and a complete list of oring sizes added to the first post would be awesome!

Yeah, I lost the small one inside the top cap the first time I took it apart to clean it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I developed a bad leak after replacing a coil and changing flavors it was the small one on the chimney causing it

I replaced all the others before I notice one in there lol
I know I should have been born with a brain lol
I just blame it on old timers disease lol
Not a big problem but a schematic with oring sizes might help someone else

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just wanted to say that the Merlin has THE best Juice control design Ive come across. All Juice control atties that I have tried have an inherent design pro/con.

That they can be wonderful, but if the temp drops or raises you need to adjust it and sometimes when on the go its hard. Another con is that as the juice level drops you need to close it off again or you start to pull liquid up the chimney and you get anything from light oozing/ condensation to quite a bit of flooding.

With the Merlin I have not found this happening so far. Its ingenious. I dont have to inhale carefully, I can pull hard or soft with no changes in pressure to the liquid contents. I use almost a 100% VG.

Im on my 10th refill?

The next big test will be the wick change and the rebuild. For some reason I often screw things up on the wick change. Most likely due to me thinking "I got this" and I dont think about what Im doing like the first time. I usually mess up on the amount of cotton, usually too much.

THe other big moment is the second complete rebuild.. Again mostly due to my lack of "thinking about it."
I usually forget some detail, such as what diameter did I make the coil, where was the coil placed over the air intake etc.

I have noticed in temps of high nintys I have to use larger tails and just stuff them in the top of the juice channels just abouve the holes if not you see a lot of bubbles from the juice control and it will flood
Im using 50/50 pg/vg

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I know the Boreas is totally different than the Serpent, but since I got it I haven't been able to use my Serpent. I've tried a few times and just doesn't cut it. So I am looking forward to the Merlin to give me a nice single coil experience.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know the Boreas is totally different than the Serpent, but since I got it I haven't been able to use my Serpent. I've tried a few times and just doesn't cut it. So I am looking forward to the Merlin to give me a nice single coil experience.

My Serpents have been sitting for 2 months, lol!

F

fckaugust8th

Merlin and I are getting acquainted! Fused clapton 30gKa1x2 wrapped with 38g NiCrome, 3 mm ID 7 wraps at 0.99 ohms, AFC open a little sliver and air flow restrictor installed. I'm starting to like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fckaugust8th

Mr. Merlin is being a little :poop:. It keeps spitting at me, but only once in a while, I guess it's trying to keep me on my toes. I just re-wicked it with a little more cotton, so we will see. I am confused because I used the same amount of wick in the Alleria and she is being very good to me.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That's funny Brewski, I just got a new Alleria in the mail yesterday and it's being finicky on me, lol.

The first one I had (I PIFed it to someone in dire need) gave me zero issues whatsoever :(

Just redid it and hopefully it will wick w/o flooding or worse - the dreaded leaking out the air vents

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Mr. Merlin is being a little :poop:. It keeps spitting at me, but only once in a while, I guess it's trying to keep me on my toes. I just re-wicked it with a little more cotton, so we will see. I am confused because I used the same amount of wick in the Alleria and she is being very good to me.

I would like to see your wicking :) It seems to be spitting at you all the time. Spitting happens when there are places where the wick isn't in contact with the coil. What kind of wick do you use?

F

fckaugust8th

@Juicy, things I have learned -the hard way- about the Alleria : the outside metal shield doesn't fit exactly the same, you may have to flip it 180 degrees and try again for a better fit /complete seal. The outer glass, same thing. The rubber gaskets /seals, put them on the glass and then thread the top and bottom. Whenever I took the bottom off, that little rubber :poop: would stay on the base and afterwards the tank wouldn't seal 100%, it was more like 95%, just enough to make you:headbang: You already know about the wicking, but if you are generous with the amount of wick in the channels, it will reward you with juice...everywhere, even places you don't want it to be. Be stingy with the wick in the juice channels. :vino:

Last edited by a moderator:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@roxynoole, I use Scottish roll wicks. I replaced the wick with one a shade thicker and now I feel like the guy who jumped off of the Empire state building. ..as he was going down, people heard him say: so far, so good :confused:.
Bear, have you tried rayon?

I think you'll find much less problems, better flavor, less hassle.

VU Sponsors