Become a Patron!

The Official #HandCheck Thread

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Theboss

you should just see the bottom of the coil in the slot part on the bottom of the airflow.
I realized upon re-reading this that I didn't express that right. What I mean is that you should just see a hair of space under the coil in the bottom slot. A Hair. You don't want the top row of holes in the ultem insert above the coils at all. They should be hitting them pretty square.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Theboss

I realized upon re-reading this that I didn't express that right. What I mean is that you should just see a hair of space under the coil in the bottom slot. A Hair. You don't want the top row of holes in the ultem insert above the coils at all. They should be hitting them pretty square.
Ok, that makes sense. I really appreciate the info, will hopefully be putting a build in this evening, FedEx shows delivery this afternoon.

Thanks again!

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moment of silence fir Kobe and his baby girl...
3bc5a4a2b80733a9665a8387e4be95e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok folks. Smok has imho officially crossed the line with this one. THIS is an awesome mod. Yes, I just used the word "awesome" to describe a Smok mod. They nailed it with the Morph 2. Outta the box at least. This device feels like a hundred dollar plus device. Excellent quality everywhere and another new and improved circuit.

This thing ticks ALOT of boxes for a reasonably priced regulated dual 18650 mod. I might even do a formal review when I've had it a little while. Superb.

I know what some of you are thinking :) "Yeah, but what good is all that if it dies pretty soon?" I have a bunch of Smok devices, some of them beat up pretty good and none of mine ever have. I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt for now.

A couple minor cons right off the bat though. No preheat in power mode and no manual screen cutoff. However, it is set to 30 seconds which is what most people set it to anyway.
View attachment 176978

View attachment 176979
The overall exterior is nice looking I'll give it that. But how's the chip? Decent tc or still smok? Only thing aside from that I'm not wowed by is the usb placement especially since it stands out against the black. Minor issue. So many decent mods and then it's disappointing when they have a mediocre chip. Been somewhat spoiled by affordable vaporesso and vandy chips that are pretty full featured and handle tc not perfect but pretty damn good. Looks comfortable as hell.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They made a bunch of colors but only with the rda, more money for them and ppl still bought em

~Wesyde1
Oh yeah I know that. I just don't get why they only get released in spurts. Not really released but show up in spurts. I remember posting about this a long time ago. If Vaperscloud was smart they would've created a lot more of these things. It's not like every one of their RDAs is a home run like the Asgard Mini. I don't think I've ever heard of a more popular $50 RDA.. People are like, okay just take my money. When the only colors are baby blue and whatever nobody else really wants, they still sell out.

I'm don't really have a keen mind for business so maybe they are doing it the right way with their handling of this one. It's almost 2 years old already. I didn't follow it the whole time. Most RDAs from China don't seem to get second and third runs. When their out they're out.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The overall exterior is nice looking I'll give it that. But how's the chip? Decent tc or still smok? Only thing aside from that I'm not wowed by is the usb placement especially since it stands out against the black. Minor issue. So many decent mods and then it's disappointing when they have a mediocre chip. Been somewhat spoiled by affordable vaporesso and vandy chips that are pretty full featured and handle tc not perfect but pretty damn good. Looks comfortable as hell.
I haven't tried it in TC yet, but the og Morph introduced the new processor family and it does pretty decent TC. I would think, or at least hope that this even newer one is at least as good. The thing is, Smok is largely a noob supplier as everybody knows. In their business model it doesn't really pay to put a ton of effort into TC.

I'll stick one of my Lotuses on it when I get a chance and try it out. I was going to do that anyway.

wesyde1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Oh yeah I know that. I just don't get why they only get released in spurts. Not really released but show up in spurts. I remember posting about this a long time ago. If Vaperscloud was smart they would've created a lot more of these things. It's not like every one of their RDAs is a home run like the Asgard Mini. I don't think I've ever heard of a more popular $50 RDA.. People are like, okay just take my money. When the only colors are baby blue and whatever nobody else really wants, they still sell out.

I'm don't really have a keen mind for business so maybe they are doing it the right way with their handling of this one. It's almost 2 years old already. I didn't follow it the whole time. Most RDAs from China don't seem to get second and third runs. When their out they're out.
I mean I have no idea why either but you are correct if they kept making them they might keep selling a lot more but maybe its a production issue with their manufacturers? Hell I saw the clones pop up in China already and a buddy grabbed one and said if you didn't own an auth you'd never know it was a clone haha but yes maybe china or SXK will make replacement styled caps and then we can order all the colors we want! Haha

~Wesyde1

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks comfortable as hell.
Fantastic hand feel. It's like a smaller Cylon with more rounded corners and the SLIGHTLY squishy cushion feel of the Lost Vape mods. You can just just press it in a smidge with your thumb.

It's light, but not cheap feeling. A good size for a dual 18650 device. Not tiny, but certainly not big either. New soft touch, slightly clicky buttons. Not that mechanical super clicky feel that many mods have. NO rattle AT ALL.

The battery door is excellent. Pull the button/latch and it pops open. Push it closed and it snaps shut. Positively with no adjustment necessary.

Look, I'm not kidding myself :) It's still a Chinese mod made in Smok's vast manufacturing facilities. I guess what makes this one stand out is that, assuming this positive impression continues, I could comfortably recommend this mod to somebody with experience.

I mean when somebody asks for a recommendation for _______________, given the endless choices among decent affordable products, Smok doesn't really make the list. For me, not because they suck, but because there's other stuff that is easier to recommend.

This mod might change that.

IF ONLY it had preheat settings in power mode :D Always has to be SOMEthing LOL.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mean I have no idea why either but you are correct if they kept making them they might keep selling a lot more but maybe its a production issue with their manufacturers? Hell I saw the clones pop up in China already and a buddy grabbed one and said if you didn't own an auth you'd never know it was a clone haha but yes maybe china or SXK will make replacement styled caps and then we can order all the colors we want! Haha

~Wesyde1

Not like their stuff is made anywhere but China

MoQ is the only thing holding them back from flooding their vendors.

And that is more than likely why certain color ways aren’t available.

Let’s say the minimum order quantity is 10000 units.

They will order 7000 in black 1000 in brass 500 in copper and do a mix of others and make a call to each vendor on how many they want.

Not every vendor has working capital to order more than 50 of varying colors, and their point of sales system will dictate which are popular and only order those that turns the quickest profit, which would lower the amount of others.

Which that influences VC themselves from ordering anything but the overly popular colors.

Like the elusive stainless matte black, that is slightly different than the aluminum matte black and definitely different than the Satin Black... Stainless costs more to manufacture too (harder to mill than aluminum)

Then they get in caps... send them off to be cerakoted and charge twice as much and call them limited

Hopefully the manufacturer in China leaks a ton of cap colors besides the stainless... not like VCs can stop them... China just doesn’t see the profitability of it long term to do as such yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesyde1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Not like their stuff is made anywhere but China

MoQ is the only thing holding them back from flooding their vendors.

And that is more than likely why certain color ways aren’t available.

Let’s say the minimum order quantity is 10000 units.

They will order 7000 in black 1000 in brass 500 in copper and do a mix of others and make a call to each vendor on how many they want.

Not every vendor has working capital to order more than 50 of varying colors, and their point of sales system will dictate which are popular and only order those that turns the quickest profit, which would lower the amount of others.

Which that influences VC themselves from ordering anything but the overly popular colors.

Like the elusive stainless matte black, that is slightly different than the aluminum matte black and definitely different than the Satin Black... Stainless costs more to manufacture too (harder to mill than aluminum)

Then they get in caps... send them off to be cerakoted and charge twice as much and call them limited

Hopefully the manufacturer in China leaks a ton of cap colors besides the stainless... not like VCs can stop them... China just doesn’t see the profitability of it long term to do as such yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome explanation! TIL! Haha

~Wesyde1

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok folks. Smok has imho officially crossed the line with this one. THIS is an awesome mod. Yes, I just used the word "awesome" to describe a Smok mod. They nailed it with the Morph 2. Outta the box at least. This device feels like a hundred dollar plus device. Excellent quality everywhere and another new and improved circuit.

This thing ticks ALOT of boxes for a reasonably priced regulated dual 18650 mod. I might even do a formal review when I've had it a little while. Superb.

I know what some of you are thinking :) "Yeah, but what good is all that if it dies pretty soon?" I have a bunch of Smok devices, some of them beat up pretty good and none of mine ever have. I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt for now.

A couple minor cons right off the bat though. No preheat in power mode and no manual screen cutoff. However, it is set to 30 seconds which is what most people set it to anyway.
View attachment 176978

View attachment 176979

Mod+RTA is like $53, but they also have just the mod for $38.
That "leather and brass-colored" one is tempting me. It'd look awesome with my 24K Merlin Mini on it. Kinda steampunk-ish. ;)

authentic-smoktech-smok-morph-2-230w-tc-vw-vape-box-mod-brown-1230w-200600-f-100315-c-2-x-18650.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
To minimize disruption to this thread, I'm just going to drop a link, because I think some of you might be interested:

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My handcheck ( sort of ) and handy Frankenstein job so I could work on the RBA for the Thallo. They don't have a dedictaed RBA for this device yet but the rba from the rpm40 fits. Unfortunately they did not make a 510 adapter thing for that one rba so you could work on it by screwing it onto a normal mod. So I made a work-around :)

I bought one of those 3 packs of empty pods for the Thallo that use the rpm coils. Then I cut one of the tops off of one of them with my dremel. Serves the purpose nicely. I really hope they make a 510 adapter for this pod device like there is for some other pod devices now, as I would love to use some of my RDA's on this device. I love the colors of it and that it is lightweight and takes a 21700 battery.

IMG_20210126_184254090.jpg

IMG_20210126_184303746.jpg

wesyde1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
My handcheck ( sort of ) and handy Frankenstein job so I could work on the RBA for the Thallo. They don't have a dedictaed RBA for this device yet but the rba from the rpm40 fits. Unfortunately they did not make a 510 adapter thing for that one rba so you could work on it by screwing it onto a normal mod. So I made a work-around :)

I bought one of those 3 packs of empty pods for the Thallo that use the rpm coils. Then I cut one of the tops off of one of them with my dremel. Serves the purpose nicely. I really hope they make a 510 adapter for this pod device like there is for some other pod devices now, as I would love to use some of my RDA's on this device. I love the colors of it and that it is lightweight and takes a 21700 battery.

View attachment 177152

View attachment 177153
Simply amazing and smart thinking!!!

~Wesyde1

inganeer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 177152

View attachment 177153
How big is your coil. The hippovape RBA should fit also. Chamber is small though. Base screws off and has a 510 base.
e0d8732a63fdbe4e347c3c6982f77dad.jpg
33e45e6b66c365c244f57798231c6cc2.jpg

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
IIRC the hippovape one is very restrictive. Not my thing but thank you. This works okay and I like that this RBA has a fairly open draw to it. The coil is a simple clapton 4 wraps reading at .59 Flavor is good so I'm happy enough with it. I really like the RGC RBA that is for the rpm80. That's a nice rba but it's too long for this device. Boo

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't tried it in TC yet, but the og Morph introduced the new processor family and it does pretty decent TC. I would think, or at least hope that this even newer one is at least as good. The thing is, Smok is largely a noob supplier as everybody knows. In their business model it doesn't really pay to put a ton of effort into TC.

I'll stick one of my Lotuses on it when I get a chance and try it out. I was going to do that anyway.
True, it was my 2nd box mod after the istick 100w. Smok that is, the alien. Comfortable mod, I liked the size and feel of it. Paint didn't hold up for shit but that's been every mod I've had. Smok, vaporesso, vandy, p4u. Back then there weren't a whole helluva lot of features on more mainstream stuff like there is now with custom power/tc curves, pulsing settings etc. Man the tc was junk on it though and I was pretty excited to try it. My istick handled tc better by a lot and didn't even have the arctic fox firmware on it.

Kinda feel like if a company can't get a feature to work just leave it off. No matter what I did the tc was like an old person driving, all or nothing. Would start out faint, then suddenly heat up well past the temp limit and scorch my throat hole, then fade out to wispy cool air, then full blast heat again. Like having a volume knob with 2 settings, 1 and 10 lol. Nothing in between.

Maybe I've gotten lucky or it's been from watching Daniel's reviews since he tests for tc and stable output signal. I won't say they're all perfect but between vaporesso and vandy both middle of the road (ie not dna) they handle tc fairly well. Pleasant, smooth, no harsh pulsing. Consistent. Same with the ipv but I expected yihi to do decent at tc. Couldn't really tell a difference between the omni4 and yihi. The vandy chip is quirky, uses that same funky tcr as the gene does except vandy actually got it to work. So with some fiddling it's decent.

Aside from the tc disappointment I don't hate smok. I know a lot of people trash them because it's trendy. Over 100k puffs on my alien and if I do put batteries in it, it fires right up. Beat all to hell (in spite of not being rough with it, dropping it or anything) but still works.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fantastic hand feel. It's like a smaller Cylon with more rounded corners and the SLIGHTLY squishy cushion feel of the Lost Vape mods. You can just just press it in a smidge with your thumb.

It's light, but not cheap feeling. A good size for a dual 18650 device. Not tiny, but certainly not big either. New soft touch, slightly clicky buttons. Not that mechanical super clicky feel that many mods have. NO rattle AT ALL.

The battery door is excellent. Pull the button/latch and it pops open. Push it closed and it snaps shut. Positively with no adjustment necessary.

Look, I'm not kidding myself :) It's still a Chinese mod made in Smok's vast manufacturing facilities. I guess what makes this one stand out is that, assuming this positive impression continues, I could comfortably recommend this mod to somebody with experience.

I mean when somebody asks for a recommendation for _______________, given the endless choices among decent affordable products, Smok doesn't really make the list. For me, not because they suck, but because there's other stuff that is easier to recommend.

This mod might change that.

IF ONLY it had preheat settings in power mode :D Always has to be SOMEthing LOL.
I can appreciate that. I know a lot of people are all about the really tactile 'clicky' buttons but to me too sharp of a 'click' feels cheap. I want a button to be positive, not mushy but slightly more cushioned. Like a dense cushion with a firm but deadened 'click' or 'bump'. Similar to the way stereo buttons used to be. The still had a 'click' and no play but it wasn't that plasticy 'tink' sound or feel. Speaking of, not related really, but I miss the way those old knobs used to turn as well. Light pressure but smooth almost like an overly oiled bearing. Real fluid motion. Makes me sad that so many things in tech that were once nice and already achieved (could be easily grabbed from old designs as working models) seem to be lost to new/chintzy ways. More high end electronics feel, less $5 flea market. Oh well. lol

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think a lot of it is subjective. To a lot of people any atty with some decent aliens and a tube is gonna knock their socks off cause they aren't used to that kind of response of vape. I respect the time put in and your tests and look forward to your opinion on a mech or atty you give your 2 cents on. Prob gonna pick up an OG grip in the near future because of your opinion on it. Thanks for your response!
It's not just about being subjective IMO. I mean, below is a vid from Mooch indicating (among a few other things) that the Purge Slam Piece doesn't perform as great according to his measurements, especially when he compared it to the Grip. But the firing mechanism on the Slam Piece (I own, and I also have the Cobra so was able to double-check his findings...) is quite susceptible to where exactly you put the pressure with your finger(s) each time when you press the button plate.

The same also applies to all the other variants (Side Piece/Stack Piece/Slim Piece/Side Piece Slim). That's just because each time when the narrow metal strip that's part of the body of one of these mods is pushed against the firing cup, the metal strip flexes in a different manner depending how you press it. With my Side Piece Slim Murdered Out, if I over-tigthen─even just a little bit─the black ultem piece or stub that holds the firing cup in place (I have the matching solid silver firing cup), partial misfires also tend to occur or be worsened in addition to the aforementioned symptom.

To me, pretty much immediately it became clear that Mooch didn't know how to tackle those issues that are just mechanical in nature. The sharp horizontal line shaped pressure mark he got on that firing cup (shown after 15:14 in the vid, along with a close up pic) does indicate that the sharp edge at the end of the metal strip was touching it as a result from pressing the button in such a particular way that would explain.

After 8:11 in this vid, he measured the resistance of the copper firing cup. The real-world resistance will be on par with these measurement results only if you can make sure that the firing mechanism of the mod is working properly so that the two metal surfaces are pressed against each other nice and flat as opposed to are creating such a sharp dent that is responsible for most of the added voltage drop.

The bottom line is, people should start by learning to use stuff properly─thus getting to know every little quirk. If they do that, then the ~10 millionths of an ohm difference─pay special attention to the "holy cow" exclamation at 8:42 in the vid─will stop haunting them each time when they sleep, and it will stop permanently, it will.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mod+RTA is like $53, but they also have just the mod for $38.
That "leather and brass-colored" one is tempting me. It'd look awesome with my 24K Merlin Mini on it. Kinda steampunk-ish. ;)

authentic-smoktech-smok-morph-2-230w-tc-vw-vape-box-mod-brown-1230w-200600-f-100315-c-2-x-18650.jpg

See HERE :)

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Job search (frustrating as hell) has me vaping still (cut way back lol) this is the only mod / rda I kept and still enjoy it.

I figure when I run out of juice I'm done - of course I still have some unflavored left... I have a zoom interview today so hopefully this nightmare will be over soon!

Wanted to say hi to everyone and hope all is well!

If I missed feedback for anyone please let me know and I'll take care of it today.
60be391847995fdbef476b2989c76e9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's too early to say really. I've been using Kennedys exclusively lately and that's a really tough one to beat.

I'm not a fan of how the drip tip is held in place by the ultem insert. Mine is loose not matter what I do. After changing the o-ring with the spare in the bag it's better but shouldn't be like that with any Q.C process.

It does what it's supposed to do, easy to build on, no leaks even when over dripping. Good flavor and the airflow is nice and smooth.

Bluenatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Something new... Hacksaw with the ubiquitous Asgard Mini.
View attachment 177198
It always surprises me how much dirt and dust shows in these pictures. :gaah:

Also had to try an RTA out today.
View attachment 177199
That Hacksaw is fucking downright badass! I see one in my future. Is that finish like a titanium frost or something like that? Did you see they have the matching Hacksaw caps now? I think they're $100+ which is crazy but damn would it look good on that thing! Awesome mod man. Well, both of them are!

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That Hacksaw is fucking downright badass! I see one in my future. Is that finish like a titanium frost or something like that? Did you see they have the matching Hacksaw caps now? I think they're $100+ which is crazy but damn would it look good on that thing! Awesome mod man. Well, both of them are!
Titanium Frost it is.

It's $180 for the matching cap and $100 for the BD24 deck! And then it needs a $25 drip tip.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should spend $300 for an RDA that will not vape as well as the Asgard Mini or a Nightmare for $60. Although I do agree that it would look very badass.

Bluenatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Titanium Frost it is.

It's $180 for the matching cap and $100 for the BD24 deck! And then it needs a $25 drip tip.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I should spend $300 for an RDA that will not vape as well as the Asgard Mini or a Nightmare for $60. Although I do agree that it would look very badass.
No doubt. You could buy a very nice setup for the price of the matching atty bundle. Hell, a Vindicator 21 Ruby would be less! The Asgard Mini looks fantastic on it, jealous lol

VU Sponsors