Become a Patron!

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I count myself as an experienced vaper for 3 years plus now. Plenty of experience with mods and building coils and all that good stuff. I've always stuck with kanthal up to now for my ADVs. I've dabbled with Nichrome 80 when the fancy has taken me but I've always steered away from TC coils.

I've felt there's not enough information out there and what little there is suggests nickel coils may be more dangerous than what we think. But the point of this thread is to get everyone's thoughts on what is safest to vape with and what benefits does it offer. Better flavour? Better clouds? No burnt hits? Or why mess with kanthal?

Educate me please. What works best for you? Should I venture into TC Land?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should venture dude...
I'm a NICHROME 80 fanboy
I recently purchase some micro SS 316 10 wraps 3.5mm id and its a chucker, flavor and vapor but
The coil GUNKS easily, I VAPEd it power mode and TC mode I like power mode better... I got dry hits from TC MODE using a RTA, haven't drip on RDA yet not planning too.
Sorry that all I can say about TC... Other peeps here will write you a letter about it
Good luck

Vape On

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TC or not TC, that is the question.
Not TC, that is the answer.

Safety wise I have no idea but vape wise my TC mods are only used in voltage mode ...or power mode if they don't have voltage mode. It's for new vapers and people that use pre-made coils I think - which is good, they don't get dry or burned hits and cough up half a lung....they don't destroy their coils because they didn't wait for the wick to prime fully before they tried to fire it. It is convenient for people that just picked up a subtank and a mod at the store they don't have a learning curve to go through unless they get into vaping to vape rather than to get off cigs. But no TC I have used is as good as simple voltage mode.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There can be a steep learning curve to getting TC right. It's not like power mode were you slap on a coil, set the power and vape away.
Getting the resistance set right on the mod is critical. Being 0.02Ω off makes the difference between a satisfying vape or bland nothingness.
I use Ti 1 or SS316L Both work well but the SS316L can be used in both power or TC mode. Also be aware that just because you can vape a wick dry doesn't mean you should. Like any drippier you only get a few good hits then you need to drip again. Unlike power mode were you get a bit of a burn to let you know it's time to drip the hits just get weaker and weaker until you get the dry coil message. I don't know what mod you have but I'd recommend SS if your mod supports it.
Should you try it is up to you but If you can bum a chunk of wire from a friend or the local vape shop you got nothing to lose. Despite the myths nickel is harmless up to over 1200F and if your that hot your sucking in flames. If you mod doesn't support SS get some Ti 1 all mods support it.

EDIT: I wanted to add that nickel is a pain in the ass to work with. (too soft)

Last edited:

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There can be a steep learning curve to getting TC right. It's not like power mode were you slap on a coil, set the power and vape away.
Getting the resistance set right on the mod is critical. Being 0.02Ω off makes the difference between a satisfying vape or bland nothingness.
I use Ti 1 or SS316L Both work well but the SS316L can be used in both power or TC mode. Also be aware that just because you can vape a wick dry doesn't mean you should. Like any drippier you only get a few good hits then you need to drip again. Unlike power mode were you get a bit of a burn to let you know it's time to drip the hits just get weaker and weaker until you get the dry coil message. I don't know what mod you have but I'd recommend SS if your mod supports it.
Should you try it is up to you but If you can bum a chunk of wire from a friend or the local vape shop you got nothing to lose. Despite the myths nickel is harmless up to over 1200F and if your that hot your sucking in flames. If you mod doesn't support SS get some Ti 1 all mods support it.

EDIT: I wanted to add that nickel is a pain in the ass to work with. (too soft)
I have an RX Realeaux which is the only mod capable of TC but I'm considering a new chipped mod and wondered whether another TC device would be worth it or just a straight up power device.

I reckon TC is still in its infancy for vaping. It could be better because clearly there are advances all the time. But on the other hand I'm curious. I have a Herakles Plus which can take an SS coil so it's an option to me.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was NOT on the TC bandwagon for quite some time. I tried Ni200 on a DNA40, and came away highly unimpressed. Tweak, tweak, puff, puff, tweak some more. Vape quality was all over the place. Fuck that. Stayed with Kanthal only, for the next year or so.

About a month or two ago, I picked up VF Stout. It can run TC on Ni200 and SS, and power for Kanthal. My first experience with SS was exactly what I've been looking for. Fantastic, clean flavor, easy to work with, no need to dry burn. Tried TC mode using those coils, and haven't looked back. I'm now running a .67ohm SS316 spaced coil in a KF4 @ 450°F & 30w, and I couldn't be happier. Consistent vape, and an unburnt wick. I used to change the wick every 7-10 days. My current wick will hit 14 days tomorrow, and it's still performing quite well. Other than looking at the damned thing a couple of times, I haven't touched the build.

Your results may very, but this has been my experience.

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was NOT on the TC bandwagon for quite some time. I tried Ni200 on a DNA40, and came away highly unimpressed. Tweak, tweak, puff, puff, tweak some more. Vape quality was all over the place. Fuck that. Stayed with Kanthal only, for the next year or so.

About a month or two ago, I picked up VF Stout. It can run TC on Ni200 and SS, and power for Kanthal. My first experience with SS was exactly what I've been looking for. Fantastic, clean flavor, easy to work with, no need to dry burn. Tried TC mode using those coils, and haven't looked back. I'm now running a .67ohm SS316 spaced coil in a KF4 @ 450°F & 30w, and I couldn't be happier. Consistent vape, and an unburnt wick. I used to change the wick every 7-10 days. My current wick will hit 14 days tomorrow, and it's still performing quite well. Other than looking at the damned thing a couple of times, I haven't touched the build.

Your results may very, but this has been my experience.
Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds perfect try the SS coil and if you don't like it you can use it in power mode.

If you wanted to try manual TCR mode around 125 works well with Joyetech chips for SS.
Thanks. I'll probably keep on mulling it over and I want to understand if there's any health issues with steel coils.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. I'll probably keep on mulling it over and I want to understand if there's any health issues with steel coils.

I had the same concern. Then I realized, that food is cooked at temps similar to vaping, generally in stainless steel pots and pans. That sealed the deal for me.

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds perfect try the SS coil and if you don't like it you can use it in power mode.

If you wanted to try manual TCR mode around 125 works well with Joyetech chips for SS.

A little advice would be welcome here. I've got hold of 0.2 ss coil for the Herakles and its on the Reuleaux (no tcr that I can find). I'm wanting to create the traditional direct inhale hit but as I understand you use less watts in tc? What sort of temp and watts would be a good starting point to play with? Just to get me started...

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
start low and work your way up i use the version 3 in the ss mode which is for 316 now. i set watts at 45 and start around 300 till i get a vape i like. if your after long term use anything about 400-440F would sing dry cotton or burn it.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use both power and tc. I actually like playing around with the settings. Gadget guy myself so fits right in for me. Its all a preference kind of thing i guess. Been working on ss316l now and have to say cleanest flavor for me. Really hard to get my mod going right tho. not sure if its the mod or my newby coil making lol but still enjoying it so thats all that matters.

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
start low and work your way up i use the version 3 in the ss mode which is for 316 now. i set watts at 45 and start around 300 till i get a vape i like. if your after long term use anything about 400-440F would sing dry cotton or burn it.

I guess this where some patience is required!! I feel like a newbie all over again! I gave a start with your settings and couldn't get a thing so I kept upping the temp and the vapour came at about 450F. So I figure I'll start upping the power and then have another go with raising temp.
I can already taste a difference. It does seem to be cleaner. But the lack of that fizz and pop when the kanthal crackles is missing and strangely disconcerting after so many years. It makes me second guess everything I'm doing but I want to give it a proper try before building my trusty kanthal coils again.

How does it work with the power? I was going to get a new mod and a friend said I would need less power if I was tc'ing so a 60w device would be enough rather than a 150w device. Surely you still need power for your tc coils so I'm confused......

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess this where some patience is required!! I feel like a newbie all over again! I gave a start with your settings and couldn't get a thing so I kept upping the temp and the vapour came at about 450F. So I figure I'll start upping the power and then have another go with raising temp.
I can already taste a difference. It does seem to be cleaner. But the lack of that fizz and pop when the kanthal crackles is missing and strangely disconcerting after so many years. It makes me second guess everything I'm doing but I want to give it a proper try before building my trusty kanthal coils again.

How does it work with the power? I was going to get a new mod and a friend said I would need less power if I was tc'ing so a 60w device would be enough rather than a 150w device. Surely you still need power for your tc coils so I'm confused......
Well depends on you and your tank and the coils. I use crown with prebuilt set at 50w and 410 degrees nice for me. Then the rda used different settings for coil builds. Some like the .5 I made didn't really give the flavor til I got up to 70w and 480. It's just all preference on what you wanna build and what you wanna do. My smok2 now I can't set wattage in TC it sort of just goes to what it needs. Dna 200 I can set watt and temp. Istick 100 and 60 can do both. The balrog haven't tried it on tc just have it set for power no coils for the tank yet. Me I like a cool vape with lots of flavor if that helps. When they get too warm I lower the temp. The thicker the clouds I raise the watts. Hope that helps you. I.e. thick warm clouds with lots of flavor you will probably want something that goes up to 100w atleast. Also i haven't used anything over 100 watts. They all power or tc mode just way too hot for me.

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well depends on you and your tank and the coils. I use crown with prebuilt set at 50w and 410 degrees nice for me. Then the rda used different settings for coil builds. Some like the .5 I made didn't really give the flavor til I got up to 70w and 480. It's just all preference on what you wanna build and what you wanna do. My smok2 now I can't set wattage in TC it sort of just goes to what it needs. Dna 200 I can set watt and temp. Istick 100 and 60 can do both. The balrog haven't tried it on tc just have it set for power no coils for the tank yet. Me I like a cool vape with lots of flavor if that helps. When they get too warm I lower the temp. The thicker the clouds I raise the watts. Hope that helps you. I.e. thick warm clouds with lots of flavor you will probably want something that goes up to 100w atleast. Also i haven't used anything over 100 watts. They all power or tc mode just way too hot for me.

That helps, thanks. I'm similar, I like a coolish vape with loads of flavour. Clouds isn't too much of an issue for me.

My normal kanthal builds tend to be in the 60w range so I was assuming I stick with that power or just under and then raise the temp up. It's a 0.2 coil so will need some power.

Last edited:

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2 months ago I hated TC, I tried and failed miserably with nickel. Never tried titanium as I was so disappointed with nickel. Then I thought what the hell I'll give stainless steel a try in temp control. Absolutely love it! All of my active RTA's are set up with dual coil 316L wire and I don't see myself turning back anytime soon :)

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been on the Power side of this discussion for a long time now, as Vaping goes, which is similar to IOS updates. However I recently bought a RBA for the Crown and some Ti wire. I am in love. Amazing flavor, decent clouds, and no half a tank, nasty metal taste, breakin period. You shouldn't dry burn a Ti coil like you do Kanthal, but unlike Ni200, your build ability is limitless. Spaced, touching, twisted, Clapton, it all works with Ti, so I have read. Also it's easy as hell to build with. I'm digging it. That is my experience.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you used the TCR function on the rx at all? Thats where its really at but its tricky......I have also found wicking with ss must be very tight, not loose. The TCR for SS on the rx is supposedly 0092 but I have found a much better vape around 110-120 TCR. If I didnt use the TCR I ended up in the 550 degrees range instead of 450....different coils will vary in TCR as well

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been on the Power side of this discussion for a long time now, as Vaping goes, which is similar to IOS updates. However I recently bought a RBA for the Crown and some Ti wire. I am in love. Amazing flavor, decent clouds, and no half a tank, nasty metal taste, breakin period. You shouldn't dry burn a Ti coil like you do Kanthal, but unlike Ni200, your build ability is limitless. Spaced, touching, twisted, Clapton, it all works with Ti, so I have read. Also it's easy as hell to build with. I'm digging it. That is my experience.
Hey Tanker do you have issues with break in time on Ti claptons?....mine seem to be a while before they really get goin but have good flavor and man do they last....they gunk the least and are tough as nails-I wick them tight as well........ I will say you HAVE TO be careful about the Ti you buy AND make sure you torch the wire or you WILL most likely start with a funny metallic taste and some companies have dust particles on the wires, so make sure its clean or send it back!!

I hated TC all the Time and loved Mechs and Big KanA1 Coils. But then i have bought some V4A 20GA Wire and put a Spaced Dual Coil with .07 Ohm in my Dripper. I Fire on my RX200 in TC and what should i say, :cool: it´s a great Taste all the Time until the Cotton Dry like some bones. Only my Athena Hero 240 dont like the Coils because the Resistance is to low. :(

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey Tanker do you have issues with break in time on Ti claptons?....mine seem to be a while before they really get goin but have good flavor and man do they last....they gunk the least and are tough as nails-I wick them tight as well........ I will say you HAVE TO be careful about the Ti you buy AND make sure you torch the wire or you WILL most likely start with a funny metallic taste and some companies have dust particles on the wires, so make sure its clean or send it back!!
I do not torch my wire, but I do wipe it off well with a cotton ball and alcohol, and I don't get any metal what so ever. I haven't tried a Clapton yet, but I built a Hive for my Alliance and it did take some break in to start really producing clouds, but it wasn't long, maybe a day. It takes lots of power to ramp up the Hive, to 520, but I use an RX so... I have found that over 520 with the Ti, unlike Ni200 I get dry hits, in the crown. I was running Ni200 at 570, and on the RX I set the TCR to 360 for Ti. The Presa is perfect in straight Ti mode.

VAPESWAPSHOP

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not torch my wire, but I do wipe it off well with a cotton ball and alcohol, and I don't get any metal what so ever. I haven't tried a Clapton yet, but I built a Hive for my Alliance and it did take some break in to start really producing clouds, but it wasn't long, maybe a day. It takes lots of power to ramp up the Hive, to 520, but I use an RX so... I have found that over 520 with the Ti, unlike Ni200 I get dry hits, in the crown. I was running Ni200 at 570, and on the RX I set the TCR to 360 for Ti. The Presa is perfect in straight Ti mode.
Theres a good tool to make easy claptons with a couple pipettes and no unspooling necessary I posted in a couple threads on here it has helped me tons.
I also want to add that SS is THE only one of these that can be dry burned clean so that in itself adds a lot of longevity to your coils, but only if you build your own. I do seem to use more cotton but I feel like I dont use enough as it is with TC anyways :D.

Brady_Bunch_27

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm gonna second the comments about SS wire. Its by far my favorite material for TC builds as it last forever and works like a dream.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have tried Ni200 and Ti wire. However, I didn't feel comfortable using these, and I didn't like the flavor either. Therefore, I haven't used any TC myself, until I gave SS coils another try. Now, I mainly use SS coils in TC. The exception for using Kanthal wire is for my two Noisy Cricket's RDAs.

Regarding setting the proper power and temperature. Looking at it in a simple way, the power setting is used for how quick the coil(s) heat up. The Temperature setting is used to adjust to your eJuice and preference of temperature of your vape.

patorpw

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have tried Ni200 and Ti wire. However, I didn't feel comfortable using these, and I didn't like the flavor either. Therefore, I haven't used any TC myself, until I gave SS coils another try. Now, I mainly use SS coils in TC. The exception for using Kanthal wire is for my two Noisy Cricket's RDAs.

Regarding setting the proper power and temperature. Looking at it in a simple way, the power setting is used for how quick the coil(s) heat up. The Temperature setting is used to adjust to your eJuice and preference of temperature of your vape.
Thanks. Good advice.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors