Become a Patron!

Totally lost with vaping..

So.. A bit personal here, but I've basically smoked a couple packs a day since I was 15 (16 years ago!), and I recently quit cold-turkey-style after an oral cancer scare (that isn't even done yet..).. Trying to replace my ancient cig habit with vaping, but.. this is more overwhelming than quitting cigs! ;)

So many websites/vendors, so many flavors, so many pens and kits and multiple functions.. I'm on a highly fixed budget and am looking for something sturdy-yet-cheap (for the kit, the batteries, the coils, the flavor).. So, I'll just rattle off a lot of questions :D

1! What is a good "all-in-one" kit for 40-60 dollars? I'd like two batteries also..

2! What are the top three vendors (US, for me, ideally)? Again, focused on reliability, low cost, good deals..

3! What is a good e-liquid that I can buy cheap that mimics generic tobacco flavor?

4! Is there a good reddit or anything that keeps up on current deals? I saw quite a few, no idea which might be the most up-to-date..

I'm not interested in over-powering it (blowing dragon-clouds) or anything, just want a reliable, no-frills, easily maintainable setup for daily use :) Its "tax season" right now, so I'm hoping to buy some large liquids and packs of coils so the "disposable" elements are covered for a while, if possible.. Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance :D

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wassup bro, ok I highly suggest
Go to a VAPE shop
Tell em ur story
Taste some juice
And go from there...
We can suggest a lot of things but VAPING is so subjective,especially to a a NEWBIE like you...
Hang on to this thread there's a lot of good VAPERS here... Good luck

Vape On

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So.. A bit personal here, but I've basically smoked a couple packs a day since I was 15 (16 years ago!), and I recently quit cold-turkey-style after an oral cancer scare (that isn't even done yet..).. Trying to replace my ancient cig habit with vaping, but.. this is more overwhelming than quitting cigs! ;)

So many websites/vendors, so many flavors, so many pens and kits and multiple functions.. I'm on a highly fixed budget and am looking for something sturdy-yet-cheap (for the kit, the batteries, the coils, the flavor).. So, I'll just rattle off a lot of questions :D

1! What is a good "all-in-one" kit for 40-60 dollars? I'd like two batteries also..

2! What are the top three vendors (US, for me, ideally)? Again, focused on reliability, low cost, good deals..

3! What is a good e-liquid that I can buy cheap that mimics generic tobacco flavor?

4! Is there a good reddit or anything that keeps up on current deals? I saw quite a few, no idea which might be the most up-to-date..

I'm not interested in over-powering it (blowing dragon-clouds) or anything, just want a reliable, no-frills, easily maintainable setup for daily use :) Its "tax season" right now, so I'm hoping to buy some large liquids and packs of coils so the "disposable" elements are covered for a while, if possible.. Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance :D
For starters welcome aboard, there's lots of great info here on the site. A couple questions for your questions. 1 are you looking for ego style(the pens) or something you can grow with as your vaping style and needs may change over time ( like a mod) ? 2 do you mean online vendors? If so www.myfreedomsmokes.com and www.101vape.com are both pretty good and have alotta deals going right now. As for tobacco flavors I honestly couldn't say right now as I don't use them

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree that going to a vape shop might be a good way to start.

Failing that I would suggest something like a Nautilus mini tank (you can buy coils separately), and perhaps a VTC mini that takes a single 18650 battery. Can't help with juice since I DIY!

There are a ton of good, reliable sites, but you might try somewhere like vapenw.com or 101vape.com.

But as suggested above, many people start off with ego kits (pen style) and upgrade as they need (I did also).

You can check prices if you like on www.vapecrawler.com. Be aware that there are some good, reliable sites in China with great prices (fasttech.com is the one I use), but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks (more or less) for things to arrive (sometimes longer).

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Everyone here has their own opinions of who the top vendors are. And for every vendor person A suggests there's a person B who has had a bad experience with them.

My "top three" for gear would be :

http://www.101vape.com/

http://vapordna.com

http://www.wakeandvape.com

For juice I really only buy from two online vendors :

http://vaping.watch

http://verdevalleyvapes.com

I agree with @ej1024 's suggestion. Do you have a few people you know who vape? Ask them where they shop locally. If not, check your area and pop into a few stores. Try some juice on their testers. Get a feel for a few different tanks and juices. Come back to this thread with questions about their suggestions.

Welcome and congrats on deciding to quit. It's tough...but we've all been there and we've got your back!

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know how confusing vape can be when you 1st start. I agree that if you went to a shop to get some hands on help would be best. Just the only problem is after my own bad experiences and also reading others involving shops id like to help as best i can. So i went and did a quick shopping list for ya with what you were asking for (and what i'd be happy with myself)
http://vapenw.com/mod-pvs/box-mods/kanger-kbox-120w-mod
http://vapenw.com/samsung-inr-18650-25r
http://vapenw.com/tanks/sub-ohm-tank/melo-2-atomizer-by-eleaf
The biggest problem is there's not really any 2 battery kits avil at the moment but what i listed is about the best bang for your $. Alot of guys have been happy with there kanger 120w and the melo 2 has so many coil options there's no way you won't find one you like. The melo2 can use Atlantis coils also. Vapenw is one of the lowest price stores in the states. Everything together comes to about 66$ also if you buy a bottle of juice you get free shipping. I don't vape tobacco flavs so can't really point you in the right direction there. But hope this helps ya get a idea of what you want.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know how confusing vape can be when you 1st start. I agree that if you went to a shop to get some hands on help would be best. Just the only problem is after my own bad experiences and also reading others involving shops id like to help as best i can. So i went and did a quick shopping list for ya with what you were asking for (and what i'd be happy with myself)
http://vapenw.com/mod-pvs/box-mods/kanger-kbox-120w-mod
http://vapenw.com/samsung-inr-18650-25r
http://vapenw.com/tanks/sub-ohm-tank/melo-2-atomizer-by-eleaf
The biggest problem is there's not really any 2 battery kits avil at the moment but what i listed is about the best bang for your $. Alot of guys have been happy with there kanger 120w and the melo 2 has so many coil options there's no way you won't find one you like. The melo2 can use Atlantis coils also. Vapenw is having a 25% off right now so that will put you well under 60$ also if you buy a bottle of juice you get free shipping. I don't vape tobacco flavs so can't really point you in the right direction there. But hope this helps ya get a idea of what you want.

What's the VAPENW CODE?

Vape On

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
101vape.com!! Great vendor, fast shipping and some great deals going on right now.

Starter kits, comes with a tank and a mod, or even the tube type. https://101vape.com/93-starter-kits
They also carry juice, batteries if you need the kind that takes batteries and other types tanks.
Great deals, fast shipper, very reliable.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And you'll get overwhelmed by our responses, too, LOL. Welcome to the forum, take your time and keep asking questions as you go. If you feel like you're narrowing it down, eventually, get other's opinions if you need to.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its 25%offClearance so its only for clearance items my bad

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Recommendation for a starter kit = Either an iStick Basic or an Innokin Endara.

As for vendors stay away from Vendors in China as they shut down for most of February.

For Cigarette Tobacco E-liquid I really like Heather's Heavenly Gaia (Purity).It's more of a Turkish Tobacco Cigarette.

I don't use reddit at all so no clue.I'm either here or 1 of the Live Vape Chats.

See the words in red up there those are links click them.

Good Luck on your journey,and welcome to VU.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tobacco flavor is something that can't be had in a cigarette. Don't care what your brand was. Tobacco 'flavor' doesn't exist in a cigarette. Cigarettes taste like shit. Different cigarette brands taste like different shades of gray; shit. I'm not making this up. These are hidden facts. Truths that only ex-smokers are aware of. I wouldn't lie to you. :)

On the other hand... If you've ever smoked fine cigars or pipe tobaccos, I'll admit that you know what tobacco flavor can taste like... and yeah, it can be very good. Cigarettes otoh, can hook us, but it's not their taste that does it... that's just something we get used to. So, my bottom line to you for now is...

If you must have the taste of real tobacco, there are some pretty decent e-liquid flavors out there, but if you're looking to re-create the taste of your cigarette experience, you're likely to be very disappointed. Take ej1024's advice...

Wassup bro, ok I highly suggest
Go to a VAPE shop
Tell em ur story
Taste some juice
And go from there...

Find some flavors you enjoy vaping. There are a lot of good flavors to suit any preference, taste or palate. It's natural (as a new vapor), to think a tobacco vape is what you'll want. Odds are against it. jmho.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Just a bit of a warning on this one... I failed miserably for the first 8 months of trying to transition from smoking to vaping because I was trying to mimic the taste of my Dorals. As @Izen said, it ain't gonna happen. At the end of the day what you're trying to mimic is the taste of something burning in your mouth.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
... At the end of the day what you're trying to mimic is the taste of something burning in your mouth.
I can translate this :) ...at the end of the day, you're trying to replicate the familiarity of the smoking experience. by satisfying the craving for nicotine... the hand-to-mouth... the inhalation & exhalation... the blowing of smoke (vapor)... It's the same experience practically speaking, but in a far more benign, and far far less harmful way (if it is, at all harmful, which is still debatable)... and for some of us, it's a lot of fun doing it. :)

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can translate this :) ...at the end of the day, you're trying to replicate the familiarity of the smoking experience. by satisfying the craving for nicotine... the hand-to-mouth... the inhalation & exhalation... the blowing of smoke (vapor)... It's the same experience practically speaking, but in a far more benign, and far far less harmful way (if it is, at all harmful, which is still debatable)... and for some of us, it's a lot of fun doing it. :)

That's not at all what I was saying...

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a bit of a warning on this one... I failed miserably for the first 8 months of trying to transition from smoking to vaping because I was trying to mimic the taste of my Dorals. As @Izen said, it ain't gonna happen. At the end of the day by trying to find a tobacco juice that mimics the taste of a generic cigarette what you're really trying to mimic is the taste of something burning in your mouth.

Replied to keep the original intact...and edited here.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's not at all what I was saying...
Ok, that's true. I'm sorry. I read it the wrong way and put my own spin on it. So, for the record...

Just a bit of a warning on this one... I failed miserably for the first 8 months of trying to transition from smoking to vaping because I was trying to mimic the taste of my Dorals. As @Izen said, it ain't gonna happen. At the end of the day what you're trying to mimic is the taste of something burning in your mouth.

Sorry I translated. Mea Culpa. Please forgive me... It was well-intended, and I've done my best to straighten it out for posterity's sake.

Last edited:

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, that's true. I'm sorry. I put my own spin on it. So, for the record...

Sorry I translated. Mea Culpa. Please forgive me... It was well-intended, and I've done my best to straighten it out for posterity's sake.

No worries mate. Everything you said was spot on.

VU Sponsors