Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
giphy.gif

Have a good evening, y’all. <3

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
<Joking>You blasted Northerners! How dare you? We don't need or want any of this jolly white stuff. Bad enough you sent us all your ice earlier this week.</Joking>

In all seriousness though we don't need, or want the snow. Have to enjoy our new oncoming Ice Age. Yep. What does everyone think that mother earth is going to let us raise the temperature? No, it don't work that way. We try and mama done gonna swat our hand and make it cold again. There's always equilibrium, balance.

*wanders along holding a stainless steel insulated mug grumbling unintelligibly "rotten so and so ... blarg" is about all that can be made out and "before my damn coffee ..."*

No, not a YETI brand mug but similar. It's some unbranded clone. Think Christy got a set of two mugs, two tumblers off Wish. It's a nice 12 oz mug what holds 10 oz of coffee and another oz or so of creamer & sugar.

Mmm, coffee ... ah. Okay so we got snow. Ha! The kids won't be in school. Likely won't see them go back until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Don't need custodians to clean what is clean.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not having the best time of winter. Couple days ago noticed the hot water in the tub stopped running. Odd but ok since all the other water was flowing. Then later noticed the hot in the bathroom sink was working but not the cold. Fun, now have one working hot and one working cold in the bathroom, just not at the same faucet. Had been having overnight lows in the 0 to -2 range close to -15F with windchills and the water kept flowing. Had everything on a low drip. Well the kitchen froze up and it all went to shit. Called the neighbor, yep they went to shit too. We all rent and are on a shared well. Best I can figure the damn well froze up so now everyone here is without water. Fan fucking tastic.

Also got dumped on with just shy of a foot of snow which is rare where I'm at. Fingers crossed at least the power's stayed on other than a couple hiccups. And the snow is coming in handy for melting into water though can't melt it fast enough to keep livestock hydrated. Most have resorted to eating the snow. Heading into day 3 of guess what's on the stove, oh yea, snow soup again. Cooking snow down and emptying into buckets. Anyone else know how many buckets of snow it takes to flush a crapper? Too many that's how many.

One older gal is in her early 80's I think. She asked the landlord's son if he'd grab her some catfood since he was going to the store anyway. She couldn't get out of her drive. His answer? "Nope". And off he went. She rarely asks for help or anything and will just do without. Packed up some things, some crackers, a loaf of bread, some peanut butter, jelly, some ready rice packs (the kind that are already soaked, just need heated), some catfood for her cats, a roll of paper towels and tp along with a couple gallons of water. Mind you the landlord's son is in his 50's, not just some twerp kid. Takes a special kind of asshole.

Hoping the warmer weather kicks in sooner rather than later and thaws out everyone's pipes so we can get the well going again. It'll be a shocker if none of the pipes busted. Only thing I'm trying to do is keep from slipping and busting my ass on the front porch right now lol.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wind turbines can be fitted with heating elements to resolve that problem considering they can power it themselves.

Solar can be set up on an automated cleaning system as well.

Also there's this ...

Note he states that solar and wind were ONLY ten 10% percent of their electric generation. The other 90% was coal, nuclear, gas. Did the other 90% fail?

I mean come on!

Oh that's right, I've been publicly educated and got no college degree. I'm supposed to be mindlessly stupid. Duh. ---- Well y'all political types coming at me with that can G.U.Y (Go Unfuck Yourself)!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually I should have worded it differently not the amount it can produce but the amount that can be used for powering the grid.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How much electric you reckon it takes to glide a squeegee over that down a 45 degree plane? I'd guess less than 5 watts or so, though I'm sure it take more for a sensory unit to trigger the squeegee/s.

I mean hey, you want stupid head to Palm Beach. Erm, damn sorry I typed that out loud. Still, "the sound of windmills causes cancer". *smh*

Ah, here we go. Servomotor, that's what I was looking for. Add a flywheel, belt and attach it to a big squeegee arm. Think you can see where I'm going. Put a small weather station nearby, sensor relay to the servos, there you go.

And really you could also use some of this new electric film as a covering for the panels. It can pass enough low current through to heat off ice/snow. You'd only need a main sensor, maybe set one on each bank of panels as redundancy.

Your weather station could likely just be a ping from NOAA.gov. For that matter you could just set it up to click on when temperature hit 32 degrees F. Click off once temps got back over 40.

Not like the technology isn't there. Not like it cannot be cobbled together in a pinch to suit needs either. Simply a matter of will to do.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When they cover acres like out East I would think days of work. The Biggest Problem I have with Solar is the Scams. Ever read how people are supposed to save money but the Companies that rent the Equipment screw over the clients? The Tesla Systems Contract can stop you from selling your home because person buying it won't use enough energy?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ever read how people are supposed to save money but the Companies that rent the Equipment screw over the clients? The Tesla Systems Contract can stop you from selling your home because person buying it won't use enough energy?

Sorry, I've only seen where folk buy the solar gear for themselves. Yes a company may send installers in to help install.

Not seen about leasing scams, not saying they don't exist. I've just not seen them.

Then, if you're stupid enough to look at leasing and get suckered into a contract you don't read, well reckon your own damn stupid could cost you a house.

Figure it's like most major appliance type of stuff, do your research, comparatively shop. Know what you're getting into. Don't do that well it is buyer beware.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Alright, first video 50 seconds in. If you've not shut them down by "you need to remove trees &/or put on a new roof" then you deserve getting screwed over. "State will not reimburse."

Here's WV's information. So yes, that seems correct. Although there is Federal tax credit which can apply. Granted it may only be 1 year.

Still as he's saying, know what you're doing, who you're dealing with.

Can see what you're aiming at with the evidence you provide. As I said though if you're going into it stupidly, you're going to get took. It's the same as everything else.

Do you rush out and buy vaping mods not having looked at reviews, done some basic research? Do you go buy a plow the same way?

I know you specifically do not. My point to asking is to illustrate how if you look into something beforehand you can possibly make an informed decision. If you go at haphazardly and get taken well, there you go, find your sign.

Also please note I'm not saying you put all your energy needs into one solar basket either. To understand and use renewable energy you need to weave a basket together from multiple sources.

Solar, wind, hydro, geothermal need to be used together and smartly so. You also need to plan redundancies such as battery banks for when production wanes. It can even if you do use technology to help. Crap happens, that's just a fact of life.

Consider this though. Our main national power grid is vulnerable to E.M.P strikes. And yes Russia has been exploring E.M.P warfare recently. They drove the U.S. Navy out of the black sea using it. Granted our news here did not report it like that. Nope, instead we pulled back respecting Russian sovereignty due to some treaty.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Alright, first video 50 seconds in. If you've not shut them down by "you need to remove trees &/or put on a new roof" then you deserve getting screwed over. "State will not reimburse."

Here's WV's information. So yes, that seems correct. Although there is Federal tax credit which can apply. Granted it may only be 1 year.

Still as he's saying, know what you're doing, who you're dealing with.

Can see what you're aiming at with the evidence you provide. As I said though if you're going into it stupidly, you're going to get took. It's the same as everything else.

Do you rush out and buy vaping mods not having looked at reviews, done some basic research? Do you go buy a plow the same way?

I know you specifically do not. My point to asking is to illustrate how if you look into something beforehand you can possibly make an informed decision. If you go at haphazardly and get taken well, there you go, find your sign.

Sounds kinda like Bill Engvall's $5 stupid tax. If you pay it, then you owe another $5 for the stupid you exhibited when you paid the stupid tax.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If enough accumulate there will be a use for the material

Yep. More interesting reading. Yet again, it boils down to will to do. Look we've not got any choice now. We need to have the will to do. If there's a will a way will follow. That has been proved out time and time again. Gee, prime example Kennedy pushed and we went to the moon.

Another prime example? Jimmy Carter mandated no Americans in military, government fired firearms in aggression while he was in office. None did. Carter kept us from war. He had that will, he made the way.

Of course, some might argue it is too late. It might be. How do you know though unless you try?

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Idk, Germany had pipe dreams about wind power. Guess who's back buying fossil fuels from Russia. And when shit does go wrong it's fossil fuels that get the unicorn farts and rainbows out of a jam. Also tired of this brow beating Americans for emissions. If the world collective isn't going to force China, India and other worst pollution offenders of the world to reign it in, not gonna make a damn bit of difference. Hold your farts all you want in the elevator, you got China and India shitting their pants next to you, elevator smells like shit. And not sure what all the bit about Carter has to do with it. Fwiw Trump kept us out of wars as well. Have also heard it mentioned that renewable wind/solar energy in Texas is 25%, not 10%. The loudest mouths that the wind turbines weren't to blame seem to be the wind turbine company (duh), the left wing media and the 'fact checkers'. Which whenever they all rally the war cry and all the 'fact checkers' go into overdrive 9x out of 10 they're spinning bullshit.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And not sure what all the bit about Carter has to do with it. Fwiw Trump kept us out of wars as well. Have also heard it mentioned that renewable wind/solar energy in Texas is 25%, not 10%. The loudest mouths that the wind turbines weren't to blame seem to be the wind turbine company (duh), the left wing media and the 'fact checkers'. Which whenever they all rally the war cry and all the 'fact checkers' go into overdrive 9x out of 10 they're spinning bullshit.

My reference to Carter was simply to show a second reference to the axiom "where there is a way a will follows". I could likely list a hundred more. For example in Japan assassins often did the seemingly impossible. People have survived all kinds of tragedies, there's even a television show titled I Survived.

All that just illustrates my point "where there's a will there's a way".

As to China, India and other countries being held to a standard curving emissions, I agree. Point being though someone has to be the one to start. For the longest time now America has been the global standard bearer. Is that exactly fair? I don't know. It is what it is. Again though, someone has to start.

As to people spinning bullshit. Well that seems common in any subject matter really. Look religions can tell you we ought to worship someone who died and returned. Guess I need worshiped myself then. Politicians can tell you the sky is green and grass blue. If you buy a bag of shit knowing your getting it, then that's on you.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My reference to Carter was simply to show a second reference to the axiom "where there is a way a will follows". I could likely list a hundred more. For example in Japan assassins often did the seemingly impossible. People have survived all kinds of tragedies, there's even a television show titled I Survived.

All that just illustrates my point "where there's a will there's a way".

As to China, India and other countries being held to a standard curving emissions, I agree. Point being though someone has to be the one to start. For the longest time now America has been the global standard bearer. Is that exactly fair? I don't know. It is what it is. Again though, someone has to start.

As to people spinning bullshit. Well that seems common in any subject matter really. Look religions can tell you we ought to worship someone who died and returned. Guess I need worshiped myself then. Politicians can tell you the sky is green and grass blue. If you buy a bag of shit knowing your getting it, then that's on you.
That must be a v1 or 2... I do know how to build it, it's just one of those days when you can't get anything right. I should have replaced the coil but was trying to save it... :cool:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My Garden is buried under a Snow Drift and my Compost is a Solid Block of Ice. Going to be a while before I can even turn over the dirt.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
First sings of spring hereView attachment 178313

Planted these sweet onions three days ago and some of them are up already.
I would love to learn how you transplant those... { always had trouble with that so opt for bulbs }}
yet i love alisa craigs { seed only } have gotten some to work
1613737634927.png <-- Thats an onion
near on impossible for a direct sew.
yet onion rings as big as da deep Fryer.... YA thats neat...
so please share whats da trick?

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was out Plowing but because the Storm lasted all day yesterday, two of my customers shoveled or used the Snow Blower all day. Only did the Church and the Museum this morning but took over a half an hour of running with all the defrosters going to clean the ice off the windows.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Was out Plowing but because the Storm lasted all day yesterday, two of my customers shoveled or used the Snow Blower all day. Only did the Church and the Museum this morning but took over a half an hour of running with all the defrosters going to clean the ice off the windows.
A few mornings ago, it was just freezing drizzle, but with the temps being in the single digits there was no way to keep the windshield from freezing. People pulled over to side of the highway trying to get the windshields cleaned off /unfrozen. It was a mess !

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A few mornings ago, it was just freezing drizzle, but with the temps being in the single digits there was no way to keep the windshield from freezing. People pulled over to side of the highway trying to get the windshields cleaned off /unfrozen. It was a mess !

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

When I am driving in the Freezing Rain or Sleet I use the Windshield De-icer Chemical in the washer fluid. Plus my truck is equipped with HVAC so the Defroster is like a Wind Tunnel. I go thru a shitload of washer fluid when I am plowing.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ah, here we go. Servomotor, that's what I was looking for. Add a flywheel, belt and attach it to a big squeegee arm. Think you can see where I'm going. Put a small weather station nearby, sensor relay to the servos, there you go.
YOUR RIGHT!!!
I AM SO SORRY i missed that...
we could make MILLIONS!!!
edit... an i got da roof ya could play on.
roof.jpg

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
YOUR RIGHT!!!
I AM SO SORRY i missed that...
we could make MILLIONS!!!
edit... an i got da roof ya could play on.
View attachment 178337

Ah, looks nice. :) Would need to clear out the Plaster o' Paris and spray foam the studs, cover w/ mold resistant drywall. Looks a good shape roof wise. May need to baffle in the attic. Not sure I'd toss solar on the roof though. Might set it out off to a side, set up a small battery/servo shed for it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would love to learn how you transplant those... { always had trouble with that so opt for bulbs }}
yet i love alisa craigs { seed only } have gotten some to work
View attachment 178333 <-- Thats an onion
near on impossible for a direct sew.
yet onion rings as big as da deep Fryer.... YA thats neat...
so please share whats da trick?
I love sweet onions. I eat two every day while they last (still eating last years). the trick to transplanting them id to grow them in a real light soilless mix, I use ready earth, that way when you are ready to transplant you can just use water to rinse the dirt away and then we just poke them in the garden. We plant about 600 a year.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hope you have a better year this year my friend

This year I am buying my plants from the Nursery run by an Italian Family for Years. Also have a shitload of compost because I took it out of the Tumbler and put it in a Barrel with Holes in it for air and drainage.

VU Sponsors