Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't be such a stranger @Rhianne ~!

I’m baaack! :giggle:
giphy.gif

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think a lot of us who grew up with Depression-era parents are just about neurotic about eating pork that isn't cooked all the way through. My mother would've had a cow if we'd eaten pink-in-the-middle pork chops, but it's because the pork they had when they were kids was a risk for trichinosis if it wasn't cooked well-done. I don't think that's nearly as common now as it was back then.

The thing I can't stand is ground meat of any kind that is pink in the middle, but that's more of a texture thing for me. I am funny about the textures of different foods - that's my own neurosis, but as it turns out, it's good practice to keep from getting e-coli. I couldn't eat a rare hamburger if you paid me. lol

Having said all that, I love pork cooked on the grill. My husband does pork loins pretty often and they are great. And that chuck roast looks mighty tasty, too. Have to say, though, my absolute favorite is barbecued chicken. Sometimes hubbs will grill chicken and put barbecue sauce only on part of it. He just doesn't care for red barbecue sauce.
I've read that the safe internal temp for pork is now like 145F or something. That the issues they were concerned about are largely gone and I'm sure it's probably 'safe'. Just not my cup of tea. Pink most meat is kind of disgusting to me, when it comes to poultry or pork. I don't do pink in the middle of my burgers and about the rarest I can go on steak is medium. Can't do rare, med rare. Anything more than slight pink or none at all is fantastic for me. I see stuff like lamb chops on hell's kitchen cooked all fancy and shit barely looks like it's been dead for 5min. I'd be sending that back asking why they're afraid of the fire. lol.

I have a real hard time with textures too, not a fan of large veins of fat. Rarely eat much seafood, hard pass on shellfish. It's like trying to chew a 2 day old gummy booger. Most fish is too fishy for me. Once in awhile I can do mild fish, tuna, salmon, halibut but that's about it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a real hard time with textures too, not a fan of large veins of fat. Rarely eat much seafood, hard pass on shellfish. It's like trying to chew a 2 day old gummy booger. Most fish is too fishy for me. Once in awhile I can do mild fish, tuna, salmon, halibut but that's about it.

Meat should be Marbled and Fish properly cooked should be Flaky. Just my opinion and I have a hard time accepting Pork that is Pink. Beef, Veal or Lamb should be pink and some Beef I will eat Rare.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So yesterday my Keyboard decided the Scroll Lock Key will not work as a Hotkey any longer. Yesterday I tested with a Brand New KB and the KVM Switch works for the Hotkey and this morning I dug behind the desk and Printer stand to get to the USB Extension Cables and test it at that point. Works but what I can't figure out is that the SL Key lights up when pressed but not working as a Hot Key. Off to Microcenter when they open for a new KB/Mouse package.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've read that the safe internal temp for pork is now like 145F or something. That the issues they were concerned about are largely gone and I'm sure it's probably 'safe'. Just not my cup of tea. Pink most meat is kind of disgusting to me, when it comes to poultry or pork. I don't do pink in the middle of my burgers and about the rarest I can go on steak is medium. Can't do rare, med rare. Anything more than slight pink or none at all is fantastic for me. I see stuff like lamb chops on hell's kitchen cooked all fancy and shit barely looks like it's been dead for 5min. I'd be sending that back asking why they're afraid of the fire. lol.

I've found over the years that I have to order steak either medium rare or medium, depending on where I am and how much the steak costs.

If it's a $12.99 New York strip at Western Sizzlin, I order medium rare. If it's a $40.00 New York strip at Vinnie's, I order medium.

Pink poultry is not safe. Too much risk of salmonella there. I absolutely do NOT eat pink poultry.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I picked up the new KB and Mouse and back to 100% functionality. Not having the Hotkey on the KB for the KVM might not seam like a big deal but it sure was. The feel of the new KB is nice and I never realized the mouse wasn't clicking with the wheel~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Part of my issue with fish might be mental. I went camping and fishing as a little kid and enjoyed it. Then I think it was a trip to the wharf fishing off the pier, the fish we caught were going in a bucket of water to keep them fresher. At home we also had a moderate sized fish tank with all kinds of fish in it, little sharks and things and an aquarium with hermit crabs. I asked the dumb question 'what's for dinner' and my parents were like what do you think we've been doing out here catching the fish?

I guess I thought they were going in the aquarium as pets so equated it to eating pets or something lol. I was only like 4. Grew up where you eat the same dinner as everyone else but I got a massive headache and stomachache, threw up. Finally ended up having a pb&j sandwich. Since then my adventure with eating fish has been limited to fish sticks and the milder fish. Most shellfish has an odor that just doesn't agree with me, I'll cook it once in awhile for my mom like grilled shrimp. I try to save it to the end so it doesn't make the rest of my meat funky.

Her memories of the bay were loving the smell of fisherman's wharf. To me it smells like nature's dumpster. I can definitely sympathize with the guy in the movie "The Beach" where DiCaprio comes across one of the guys living on a secret island apart from society. Making a run back to the mainland for supplies the guy in charge of cleaning the fish was like Ugh! I scrub and scrub and still, always smell like fish! He asked for the strongest soap they had to try and get rid of the stench. Haha.

And not a ton, but tonight's haul from the garden. Finally got a couple radishes (white variety). Some zucchini, eggplant, patty pan squash, cucumbers, a couple bell peppers, handful of lunchbox peppers, a few cherry tomatoes finally ripened. Some jalapenos and half a dozen Anaheim peppers.
1626230447600.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interesting thoughts.

Human beings are energy.

Human beings seemingly create energy.

Human beings seem to use energy.

Some facts regarding energy. E=MC squared. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it only changes states.

Merely some thoughts rattling around in my noodle. :)

ETA: More Thinking --

Human beings are self aware energy. It is our awareness which allows us to have the agency of choice and intention. So at least we're told and guided to understand from lots of religions/sciences.

If no energy is created, what do we do in making electricity? Do we only harness the energy already there? Is our use of energy a focusing of our intention/s? Is this what we define as "doing work"?

Know a lot of this might seem to read as very basic or fundamental. Please don't mistake my "basic" thinking to denote me as a dullard. Sometimes we all need to go back to the start and refresh an understanding/awareness of the most simple things. Are we missing "something"? Is this reality we observe what "it" actually "is"?

Are we genuinely aware? How can we define awareness if our reality might be a simulation for energy, by energy?

Can you now comprehend my point regarding refreshing the basics? What do we actually know? How do we know? There is still much religion/science cannot explain.

Much as I'm loathe to cite politicians one made a good point.

Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.

There's a lot of unknown unknowns if we stop and consider it all.

Do apologize if this may also read as mental masturbation. Not really intending it as that either so much as an offering of "here's what's on my plate, lately". In short I'm kind of grinding the gears to get out of neutral and seem to keep staying still.

Maybe that's alright though? I might be an immortal or something and immune to any real change. Ha! I just bet. Wouldn't that be screwed, eh? Oh well, you take the cards dealt and play the game or get up and walk away.

Bah!

"Get out of your fucking skull, dog!"

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well everyone is enjoying the Birdbath and all the little ones who come around but it turns out I now have one more chore everyday. Have to clean out the birdbath and give them fresh water along with washing down the Rocks and bricks they poop all over. I need a little sign that says......... No Poopin in da pool~!

But on a lighten note we are naming some of them~! We have Gavone, Cartman, Fuzzy and the Pastor. LOL

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Washed the bricks behind the shed because they were so moldy it looked like the Jetty at Low Tide. Then I cut, edged and blew the lawns plus used Muriatic Acid to wash the bricks in the Rombuses by the patio. Now off to the market for dinner after a nice shower.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watermelon Mojitos are the Bomb~!

View attachment 184325

*sits on his now infamous folding stool grinning, seeming to fade in but yet still not be on the porch at all* They do look awful yummy. Do you actually blend the rum in, or is it still noticeably tasted?

If blended, I might be drunkenly taken advantage of. ;) :) Oh, erm, belay that claptrap. Forgot that's a State secret. oops.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits on his now infamous folding stool grinning, seeming to fade in but yet still not be on the porch at all* They do look awful yummy. Do you actually blend the rum in, or is it still noticeably tasted?

If blended, I might be drunkenly taken advantage of. ;) :) Oh, erm, belay that claptrap. Forgot that's a State secret. oops.

I mix the Rum with the Muddled Mint, Simple Syrup and Lime then stir on the Watermelon.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I mix the Rum with the Muddled Mint, Simple Syrup and Lime then stir on the Watermelon.

Ah, I see. Well then I'd likely be a sot after four, or more. That's the kind of drinking all night, the next day drinking I'd like to do years, and years ago. Got brought into that kind of drinking by gee, my mom of course.

She used to mix up pitchers of Harvey Wall Banger. We used the big tall plastic Tupperware cups to drink them. Sat up with her one night, all night, on into half of the next day drinking them. She told me they would likely get me addicted, she was right.

Know that it was abusive and not defending mom. By age 9 I was tipping vodka into my coffee like she did. It was a way to cope at the time. The Boatswain's Mate coffee sure as hell lessened the wallop packed by my step-dad's punches. He would beat us both.

When you grow up in that, you learn so many ways to cope. For a long time I thought I had become full on sociopath. I had stopped "feeling" anything because emotions "got me in trouble". If you can imagine one like me, that as @Smigo says, wears heart on sleeve totally "shutting down". All life is at that point is "going through the motions".

Now, I am up to a point okay to feel things. I used to work and do a lot of high stress jobs/things. I was "used" to it from the "home life" back then. Shit didn't bother me. I used to be "ice". Can still be at times but then I also struggle with very deep passion. Yep, walking contradiction I am, merely human, mostly harmless. :)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah, I see. Well then I'd likely be a sot after four, or more.

Actually they are so heavy like a Smoothie it isn't like you can chug them. We had two each and I am not even sure if Mom finished her second one. You kind of have to eat it with and Ice Tea Spoon.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Boy starting late watering today made the morning fly by~! Have the last zone going in the backyard right now.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Actually they are so heavy like a Smoothie it isn't like you can chug them. We had two each and I am not even sure if Mom finished her second one. You kind of have to eat it with and Ice Tea Spoon.

That would be good too, especially on a hot day.

Was out yesterday "eating weeds" again. Went out before I took my medicines. Had to restring the weed eater spool.

That "went well", as in once I got it started the excess string halted the rotary. So, had to nip off excess on one side. Started again and be damned, other side.

Realized after getting that fixed and going for about a half hour, "oops, forgot bp medicine, dummy." Come in, got medicines, fixed something to eat, sat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Went back out and did some more for about another hour.

Even one of those Mojitos would have looked really nice. :)

Been dodging rain drops & humidity to get any of it done. Yesterday, I was in shoes & shorts. Said f*ck a shirt or pants. It was just too d*mn hot.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That would be good too, especially on a hot day.

Was out yesterday "eating weeds" again. Went out before I took my medicines. Had to restring the weed eater spool.

That "went well", as in once I got it started the excess string halted the rotary. So, had to nip off excess on one side. Started again and be damned, other side.

Realized after getting that fixed and going for about a half hour, "oops, forgot bp medicine, dummy." Come in, got medicines, fixed something to eat, sat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Went back out and did some more for about another hour.

Even one of those Mojitos would have looked really nice. :)

Been dodging rain drops & humidity to get any of it done. Yesterday, I was in shoes & shorts. Said f*ck a shirt or pants. It was just too d*mn hot.

I was outside yesterday pulling the Wild Violets in the flower bed in the back. Had to trim a late blooming Azalea which naturally I had to give the big bush next to it a touch up. Never ends.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went to check on my Vegetable Garden and that needs weeding and I see a couple of bushes that need a little trim. I was already pulling some wild Violets because these freaking things are everywhere.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went to check on my Vegetable Garden and that needs weeding and I see a couple of bushes that need a little trim. I was already pulling some wild Violets because these freaking things are everywhere.

You'll get it. Got high humidity here, 100% looks like storms inbound too. Figure we'll head to Spencer to do laundry, maybe a little shopping. Picked up five bags of coffee the other day at Dollar Tree.

Me & wife stopped right in the middle of Kroger's talking to a gay couple. It was hilarious watching the people just veer around us. Told her I bet we gave the whole county something to jabber about for a month.

She used to get the couple in over at Goodwill. They would bring stuff in for donations and rummage for themselves. To me & her, people are people. You always got good and bad in any walk of life.

Never a reason to openly be disrespectful of someone due to some label. Think part of why I got fired once had to with the fact that I never met a stranger. I can work with anyone save for those not wanting to work, or to work "with" me.

Think that kind of rubs a lot of folks wrong. Then, any excuse they find is a good one. Anyway, might go out and at least feed my not my cat. She keeps threatening to eat my toes off.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You'll get it. Got high humidity here, 100% looks like storms inbound too. Figure we'll head to Spencer to do laundry, maybe a little shopping. Picked up five bags of coffee the other day at Dollar Tree.

Me & wife stopped right in the middle of Kroger's talking to a gay couple. It was hilarious watching the people just veer around us. Told her I bet we gave the whole county something to jabber about for a month.

She used to get the couple in over at Goodwill. They would bring stuff in for donations and rummage for themselves. To me & her, people are people. You always got good and bad in any walk of life.

Never a reason to openly be disrespectful of someone due to some label. Think part of why I got fired once had to with the fact that I never met a stranger. I can work with anyone save for those not wanting to work, or to work "with" me.

Think that kind of rubs a lot of folks wrong. Then, any excuse they find is a good one. Anyway, might go out and at least feed my not my cat. She keeps threatening to eat my toes off.

It is 89° F right now and Thunder Boomers for 3PM. Going out to weed~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well here we are now. Know when I looked earlier it was 73 but 100% humidity. Yep, figure we're getting a storm come in with such a change. Saw the clouds outside just now, too. Fugly gray ones with an overhanging ominous tone of "boy we carrying water".

One of those odd times, half the sky gray, the other all bright and sunshine. You end up with an over all silver sky. I often think of those times and figure, "bet you can smell ozone", if you can smell.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Took almost 2 hours to weed the garden~! I have stuff planted so close it is hard to maneuver. Trimmed a couple of bushes around the garden because they grow like weeds. Going to fill my tank make a Strawberry Daiquiri and Vape on the Back Patio~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Working outside for a few hours it was so hot I had to take off my t-shirt. Got sunburned in just a short time. Sucks but bearable.

1626554189703.png

Beat the heat with a Vape and a Fresh Daiquiri~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I got ambitious for about half hour to 45 minutes. Looked at the forecast reading 100% humidity but only 66. Thought "ha! You fools, no way is it that humid." Got out there running the whir machine, found out. Felt I was swimming on dry land, then, drowning. Put a stop to that.

And yes again just in a pair shorts, shoes, glasses/earmuffs. Then, I've done it like that since about age 7 or so. don't suggest it for everyone. You need a good set first, oh erm, setup that is.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got a little too much sun yesterday so the Mostly Cloudy Forecast is fine with me. Have more Wild Violets to pull but they will wait.

VU Sponsors