Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
tenor.gif

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Must have been fishy Friday. :)

Had the wife stop & get us some Long John Silver's. Learned when she got home that was a mistake. Had her get the 10 piece fish & chicken, side of slaw, tea for us both. It come to $35.

Oh well, I got some snack on food for the next day, or so. I recall maybe a year, or two ago that order would likely have been $20 or less. The expedient exorbitant rise of costs is enough to cause one to interrogate, "wut happen?" Yes, I've seen similar price raising for various other "fast food" types of places.

That aside & not even comparable, wow! People keep pushing for that $15 hrly minimum wage & the employers will gladly start rolling out full automation. Then, what will anyone do? There will ll be no "get the foot in the door" jobs for high school kids. There will be nothing for retirees to do part time to offset SS.

People will not be able to make a wage if $15 hrly goes through. Education is too costly for most to even consider for leveraging themselves into basic entry level of "skilled labor". That will be all that remains too as there will not be a need for "unskilled labor" to fill the positions filled by automation.

*smh* Man it's gone from ridiculous speed to ludicrous real quick. Look, I see plaid. Ha!

Let me clarify. I'm not saying folks don't deserve a decent minimum wage. They do indeed and most assuredly. I "get that", I genuinely do. What I am saying though is I think it all really needs a big ass re-thinking. Been looking at videos on how "capitalism is killing us" and keep finding myself tending to agree. So yes, thinking we need a re-think.
I think it breaks down to greedy businesses coupled with more government interference. It's like the price of grains and things, costs keep rising. Farmers are barely making any money. Well, SOMEone's making money some damn place.

Understandable publicly traded companies or investors play a role but at some point how much is 'enough' profit? Even small private owned businesses aren't too thrilled making similar incomes year after year, they want more more MOAR. Do more, get paid less, work more hours or we'll automate! I would typically agree that $15/hr min wage is nuts, but then so is the cost of everything. Keep raising prices to cover whatever, someone's greed along the daisy chain of bullshit. Or to cover the cost of additional steps needed to maintain government/agency approval and inspections. To meet code, whatever.

People always try to bring inflation into it, which does factor. But it doesn't track. The distance between goods and income is what's killing people. Whether a dollar is worth $5 or a peso, doesn't matter. In the 60's for example, 64, 65. Min wage was $1.15-$1.25/hr. That was the min, not a good paying job. A dollar could buy 3gal of gas. Mcd's in 1965, fries were 15 cents, milkshake was 22 cents, mcdouble with cheese 38 cents, filet o fish was 24c. So say you made that $1.25/hr, you could buy lunch and maybe you're hungry. So a mcdouble and a filet o fish, fries and a shake. Bought separately that's $0.99 plus tax. Roughly an hour's pay bought that lunch with a bit left over. Today that same meal based on small fries and small shake to make it fair and cheap as possible, $8.76 plus tax. Fed min wage is only $7.25/hr. We're $1.50 over our hourly wage. Those 3gal of gas based on the national average, $9.42. Over $2 more than the current min wage.

I don't know what they run currently, movie prices including snacks and stuff. Last time I went to a movie in a theater was 7-8yrs ago I think. Whenever texas chainsaw 3d came out. 2 adult tickets, a bucket of popcorn to share and a couple drinks ran something like $48. It was just shy of $50. No candy, no extra b.s. Basic bitch movie and popcorn and I can only imagine prices are worse now. Almost a full day's wages (close to 7hrs worth) to cover a 'movie date'. Are you fricken kidding me?? I know certainly in hell people weren't giving up a day's wage to take a date to the movies in the 60's.

The corporations certainly aren't paying people higher wages out of the goodness of their heart, they're forced to by min wage standards. And if the corporations' answer to it is automation, good luck. They're only dry fucking themselves up the ass. Where do they figure customers get their money to buy their product? In the form of wages from other companies. If no one has any money at all because they're all replaced by robots, well robots don't need shit. They don't have bank accounts and they don't spend money. Mcd's will be sitting there with a bunch of burgers getting cold or baked to death under the heating lamps waiting for customers. Movie houses may as well shutter, a lot of them are anyway.

Speaking of movies, people now choose other activities. Or other less expensive avenues, they stay home and watch movies on cable, stream them from one of the dozens of streaming services. They found a way. It's not that people stop doing something, they just find a way to do it - without you. You being the corporations. Look how big barter and used markets have become, with ebay, craigslist and the like. Simply cut out the companies. This whole assumption that they'll just raise prices or cut out labor, they really didn't think that through. And while I realize Mcd's isn't necessarily doing all the ripping off, they have to pay for beef and buns/ingredients and all that. They're a large enough customer, if they say they're not paying more than xyz for beef, they're not paying it. What would a beef supplier do, say 'no thanks, we'll sell to someone else' then? Ha, no they won't. And most are part of the main corp in some fashion or another anyway.

When companies are showing year end profits, their earnings after they've paid all their expenses and employees. To be in the billions? Yea I think they have enough damn money. Last year they 'only' made 4.73B, down from 2019 where they profited just over $6B. Act like they're poor, can't afford higher wages. Kiss my ass. At least with something like fuel they have us by the short and curlies, we need fuel to get around. What we don't need are mcd's and movies. And since we're not visiting drive thrus and movies near as often, don't need the fuel for those things either.

The short version boils down to one of my favorite mantra's from the army said often. "Don't fuck me, don't fuck yourself." And that's all the threat of automation does. Burger King be like where'd our lunch crowd go? Oh, you mean the mcd's workers that got replaced? Go see if one of their burger flipping machines or automated clerks is hungry. lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
well robots don't need shit.

Robots need Maintenance which translates to work for me in the IT World. When they first came out with Self Checkout Lanes I did the installations and Repairs. In Pharmaceutical Labs Robotic Machines Dispense pills. Takes a bottle brings it to the dispenser and fills it then it goes on a conveyor belt to get capped and labeled. In a Supermarket they pay an employee to watch and help with the Self Checkout lanes. Can't buy Beer without an Override to say NO ID needed.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Robots need Maintenance which translates to work for me in the IT World. When they first came out with Self Checkout Lanes I did the installations and Repairs. In Pharmaceutical Labs Robotic Machines Dispense pills. Takes a bottle brings it to the dispenser and fills it then it goes on a conveyor belt to get capped and labeled. In a Supermarket they pay an employee to watch and help with the Self Checkout lanes. Can't buy Beer without an Override to say NO ID needed.

Interesting reading this morning. And yeah, damn skippy, those robotics systems require expensive, specialized support. An independent contractor could charge $200 an hour plus to work on something like that, and if a system happens to go down at 10 pm on a Saturday night, Robot Owner better watch out, because he's looking at something like $500 an hour plus for help then. Contractors often get paid for travel time both ways, plus the time they are actually on the job, plus research time, plus coding or repair time, blah blah blah.

We have automation systems that run our warehouses, and just the annual maintenance costs in excess of $30,000. If we have a change made to their code, it's anywhere from $25k to $150k, depending on how involved it is. Daily regular maintenance and coding for changing requirements takes an IT department and people who know what they're doing.

In other words, that shit ain't cheap. Only really big companies can benefit at all from automating processes like that.

And speaking of cheap, we (as in, my company) had our first-ever billion dollar year (that's gross sales, not profit) in 2020, because of Covid. We sell some groceries so we were considered an essential business and our staff were essential employees. But come June, what kind of raise do we get? 1.9%, just like the last ten years or so, since the last time I gave my notice and they came back and counter-offered with a 3-year salary plan that made me quite happy. 1.9 fucking percent. I know the company has donated, in one shot, close to $20 million to the University of North Carolina for some building with the old man's name on it, similar donation to Campbell University some 15 years ago, donations to the max to the Republican political machine in North Carolina, etc etc. Old man drove a Rolls Royce to work every day from 1987 until he died in about 2004. He'd upgrade his car about every five years. He'd spend more on one of those cars than most people would spend on a HOUSE. Yet the man had the table manners of a damn pig, and I could hardly stand to be anywhere near him when he was eating. That shows right there that he had no respect for other people - and that's why he could drive a $400,000 car and still pay his support staff $6.75 an hour.

Hubbs and I, last time we stopped for fast food, paid $15 for two burgers and one order of fries. His sandwich was a Whopper and mine was a double cheeseburger. Should have cost about $6. I know from personal experience that the Long John Silvers order @MyMagicMist described would have been $22 right before Covid, because I used to stop at LJS here in town and get the exact same thing.

The shit is that, when some disaster causes prices to rise, after the disaster is over, those prices don't come back down. First case in point that I clearly remember is Hurricane Andrew, after which about half of south Florida had to be rebuilt, and housing developers all over the country either couldn't get dimensional lumber or had to pay out the wazoo for it because all of it was being used up for Hurricane Andrew repairs. Lumber prices went through the roof, and they've never come down again since then. So there is also that. We may be permanently stuck with the inflation caused by Covid, is my point. It just depends on whether people will pay those prices or not. And believe you me, that really is the determining factor.

If it weren't for basic human greed, I'd be a communist, but they create systems and social structures that are even worse than capitalists. Have I not heard/read that Vladimir Putin is the richest man in the world? His people I think probably live better than they used to, under the old USSR government, but there is still a monster behind their lives that gobbles up all the good noshes and leaves the bones and fat for everybody else. In my mind, that's not a damn bit different than what we have here, with the single exception that here, that wealth might be spread over a thousand people instead of just one damn dangerous guy.

If you ever decide you want to scare yourself half to death, to the point that you can't sleep, just read a good book or two about old Vlad. He's a piece of work.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And if the corporations' answer to it is automation, good luck. They're only dry fucking themselves up the ass. Where do they figure customers get their money to buy their product? In the form of wages from other companies. If no one has any money at all because they're all replaced by robots, well robots don't need shit. They don't have bank accounts and they don't spend money. Mcd's will be sitting there with a bunch of burgers getting cold or baked to death under the heating lamps waiting for customers. Movie houses may as well shutter, a lot of them are anyway.

This is kind of my whole point. You'll have companies producing product in such surplus it'll all rot or spoil. If it's not automation though it's in raising the prices. Either way they'll lose consumers and well you'll be back here looking at the surplus. At some point these places will ask "why operate if no one buys our goods/services?"

And while I realize Mcd's isn't necessarily doing all the ripping off, they have to pay for beef and buns/ingredients and all that. They're a large enough customer, if they say they're not paying more than xyz for beef, they're not paying it. What would a beef supplier do, say 'no thanks, we'll sell to someone else' then? Ha, no they won't. And most are part of the main corp in some fashion or another anyway.

*chuckles* Well, know for fact at least back in the 90's McD's only used about 33% beef per burger patty. This is one of the "inside" secrets you pick up.

Burger King be like where'd our lunch crowd go? Oh, you mean the mcd's workers that got replaced? Go see if one of their burger flipping machines or automated clerks is hungry. lol.

I think BK would not have employees to ask. I walked the corporate crowd through how to automate a BK once. They went to Chicago somewhere and sat up an experimental version. They only required one person per eight hour shift. Mainly they were the "human face" so customers didn't get spooked. They were also taught a basic "if it goes wonky, do this" routine. That routine meant simply calling a two person tech crew to fix it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you ever decide you want to scare yourself half to death, to the point that you can't sleep, just read a good book or two about old Vlad. He's a piece of work.
It's rumored that this is a good book to read.

Damn, did I just do political satire? Think I might have. Sorry.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Uh oh. I best be on my P's and Q's. You'll next tell me that my Jungian slip is showing. ;) :)

Although, if you really ponder it a minute, .. two Vlads in one post.

Everyone's Jungian slip is showing - you just have to know where to look!

Did someone slip us both a smartass pill during the night? I swear I woke up feeling this way. :crazy: You aren't by chance drinking Wild Cherry Pepsi Zero, are ya?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Everyone's Jungian slip is showing - you just have to know where to look!

Did someone slip us both a smartass pill during the night? I swear I woke up feeling this way. :crazy:

It's "something" in the water now. I think it's an after cold war attempt to create the zombie apocalypse. What else is the United States going to do with enough of a nuclear weapons stockpile to blow Earth up 400 times over? Ah ha! "We'll create _The Walking Dead_ for real!"

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Uh oh. I best be on my P's and Q's. You'll next tell me that my Jungian slip is showing. ;) :)

Although, if you really ponder it a minute, .. two Vlads in one post.

No no no. No. Only one Vlad allowed per post. We should add that to the Rules.

B, I think we've run everyone else off. Sigh.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Spoil sport. I was hoping to squeeze a third in by renaming Grigori Rasputin.

I'm certain his middle name had to be Vlad.

But you could rename him "Vladputin," and then, how spooky would that be, eh?

You were already not planning to sleep tonight, I take it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes but you, yourself can see how it is drastic reduction of employees needed.

Not really because you still need people to watch the machines and fix them. Or like someone said Call Tech Support~! I actually like Self Checkout lanes because many times it tells me to put shit on the belt that I didn't scan~! Free Shit works for me~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Worked cutting bushes since 8:30 and I have had it for today~! Time for a shower and Cocktails~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, but takes far fewer people to maintain the bots. If the bots like the automated self checkout machines, at my local wally world there's like 8 or 10 of them in a big group. They have one clerk to oversee and run all of them in the event a code is needed a problem with the machine. And what one tech? I imagine registers need repaired as well and networked since they're often computerized. So we're down what, 6-8 employees? But hey, keeping 2 hired. That'll keep everyone in business. Which bar are those self checkout machines going to when the shift ends? What restaurant are they eating at? Proves my point.

And don't get me wrong, not knocking your line of work. But everyone needs to work or there's going to be a handful of customers and that just isn't enough to sustain the system. It's like when they say 'well get a managerial job' - well, we can't all be managers can we? As the saying goes, too many chiefs, too few indians. Success and continuity involves EVERYone, not just a select few. And right now, locally, that's just 8 or so jobs. Wait until that mindset becomes mainstream. And it's a ratio of 8:2 fewer employees everywhere. That spells a big suck factor for the greedy automatons. Even though robots can work harder, longer and appear 'cheaper' - factor in they give NOTHING back to the system in place. Because they're not customers. Period. Now how cheap are they? They're purely a money drain on the corporations because they don't complete the loop like people do. Everyone's employee is someone else's customer. Kill off employees, kill off customers.

I'd like to a corporate meeting full of various ceo's all lumped together and ask them the simplest question. Who here wants fewer customers? Go on, raise those hands. Don't be shy. But then greed does tend to make some awfully short sighted. With streaming movies and shows, who needs blockbuster? Apparently nobody now. People shouldn't act like it won't happen or isn't likely to happen. Automation already has taken down major corporations. None are too big to fail. Over 58,500 employees down the shitter. And they've likely moved on to other things, but keep knocking away those jobs and they won't have anyplace else to go. Like a house of cards it'll come tumbling down. If they lose their jobs at walmart, where will they go to work? Not blockbuster, that's where. And not to any other place that's either closed or automated.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting reading this morning. And yeah, damn skippy, those robotics systems require expensive, specialized support. An independent contractor could charge $200 an hour plus to work on something like that, and if a system happens to go down at 10 pm on a Saturday night, Robot Owner better watch out, because he's looking at something like $500 an hour plus for help then. Contractors often get paid for travel time both ways, plus the time they are actually on the job, plus research time, plus coding or repair time, blah blah blah.

We have automation systems that run our warehouses, and just the annual maintenance costs in excess of $30,000. If we have a change made to their code, it's anywhere from $25k to $150k, depending on how involved it is. Daily regular maintenance and coding for changing requirements takes an IT department and people who know what they're doing.

In other words, that shit ain't cheap. Only really big companies can benefit at all from automating processes like that.

And speaking of cheap, we (as in, my company) had our first-ever billion dollar year (that's gross sales, not profit) in 2020, because of Covid. We sell some groceries so we were considered an essential business and our staff were essential employees. But come June, what kind of raise do we get? 1.9%, just like the last ten years or so, since the last time I gave my notice and they came back and counter-offered with a 3-year salary plan that made me quite happy. 1.9 fucking percent. I know the company has donated, in one shot, close to $20 million to the University of North Carolina for some building with the old man's name on it, similar donation to Campbell University some 15 years ago, donations to the max to the Republican political machine in North Carolina, etc etc. Old man drove a Rolls Royce to work every day from 1987 until he died in about 2004. He'd upgrade his car about every five years. He'd spend more on one of those cars than most people would spend on a HOUSE. Yet the man had the table manners of a damn pig, and I could hardly stand to be anywhere near him when he was eating. That shows right there that he had no respect for other people - and that's why he could drive a $400,000 car and still pay his support staff $6.75 an hour.

Hubbs and I, last time we stopped for fast food, paid $15 for two burgers and one order of fries. His sandwich was a Whopper and mine was a double cheeseburger. Should have cost about $6. I know from personal experience that the Long John Silvers order @MyMagicMist described would have been $22 right before Covid, because I used to stop at LJS here in town and get the exact same thing.

The shit is that, when some disaster causes prices to rise, after the disaster is over, those prices don't come back down. First case in point that I clearly remember is Hurricane Andrew, after which about half of south Florida had to be rebuilt, and housing developers all over the country either couldn't get dimensional lumber or had to pay out the wazoo for it because all of it was being used up for Hurricane Andrew repairs. Lumber prices went through the roof, and they've never come down again since then. So there is also that. We may be permanently stuck with the inflation caused by Covid, is my point. It just depends on whether people will pay those prices or not. And believe you me, that really is the determining factor.

If it weren't for basic human greed, I'd be a communist, but they create systems and social structures that are even worse than capitalists. Have I not heard/read that Vladimir Putin is the richest man in the world? His people I think probably live better than they used to, under the old USSR government, but there is still a monster behind their lives that gobbles up all the good noshes and leaves the bones and fat for everybody else. In my mind, that's not a damn bit different than what we have here, with the single exception that here, that wealth might be spread over a thousand people instead of just one damn dangerous guy.

Exactly. Same thing happened during the gas price hikes back in what was it 07, 08? Was working for the auto shop then and all the parts houses began charging a fuel surcharge fee for deliveries. Oh we're really sorry but you know gas is just so expensive. And it was. For several months, maybe close to a year. So naturally after crying poor mouth, napa, carquest etc were gracious enough to lift those fuel surcharges when fuel dropped to below what it was at the beginning of the crisis right? Ha, yea right. Pretty convenient for them so they just left the fees in place. Greedy. Our prices had to rise some to reflect that and offset the cost to the customer. As a result? Fewer customers. Don't fuck me, don't fuck yourself. We started sourcing out to more online parts suppliers when possible, bypassing napa and partsquest to try and get our prices back in line and bring some of those customers back. Who's fucking whom?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Morn' everyone. I'm having a bowl of what I call Shroo-Kin soup. Anyone unfamiliar will need a translation. So here we go.

Find these at your nearest "cheap grocery". Canned cream of mushroom soup. Mechanically separated white chicken meat chunks in water canned. Combine the two, microwave for about 2 minutes. Presto! Shroo-Kin soup. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I made Watermelon Mojito's yesterday afternoon. Still perfecting my recipe and made Simple Syrup for my cocktails now.

1626000694938.png

1626000721200.png

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I get paid what they all get paid for one hour~! Works for me~!

You're lucky I know you're better than the robot this makes you sound. No this is not intended as a "threat" or "fighting" words, merely saying sometimes people need more context. Got some myself and from that can understand the point of view you're expressing.

Yes, I agree go for it get paid what 6-8 others normally would. No that's not being predatory it is simply doing something you can do well. You are simply taking advantage from an advantage the "system" has built in. And that right there is my whole point, the "system" is so screwed up as it is.

No I don't have a "better" option yet. I got no answers. That doesn't exclude me from saying "hey, this just don't seem to work out well for everyone". That's what I was doing in "complaining" about the LJS order cost. As @nadalama pointed out they got the same order for about $20 less than two years ago.

I wasn't "out of line" in seeing such a huge price hike. It was actually there and factual. And @Synphul was discussing how fuel costs drove prices up as well. It's not so much complaining or whining as it is observing what seems a huge negative turn for capitalism in general. It's saying "hey, greed is destroying it all".

Which is something that seems many of us realized long, long ago. Now, the question is will the ones needing to realize it, do so? Well if your robotic facade is any indication, it's unlikely. Everyone "just goes with the flow". Don't worry about that loud sucking and gurgling or getting dizzy in the whirlpool, that's just y'all being flushed. And yeah, that's where it's all headed if there's no change.

*sighs* Damn it, I was not aiming to be a Gloomy Gus. *ahem*

At least the barometric pressure has let up a good bit here. My sinuses are thankful of that. :)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You're lucky I know you're better than the robot this makes you sound. No this is not intended as a "threat" or "fighting" words, merely saying sometimes people need more context. Got some myself and from that can understand the point of view you're expressing.

Yes, I agree go for it get paid what 6-8 others normally would. No that's not being predatory it is simply doing something you can do well. You are simply taking advantage from an advantage the "system" has built in. And that right there is my whole point, the "system" is so screwed up as it is.

No I don't have a "better" option yet. I got no answers. That doesn't exclude me from saying "hey, this just don't seem to work out well for everyone". That's what I was doing in "complaining" about the LJS order cost. As @nadalama pointed out they got the same order for about $20 less than two years ago.

I wasn't "out of line" in seeing such a huge price hike. It was actually there and factual. And @Synphul was discussing how fuel costs drove prices up as well. It's not so much complaining or whining as it is observing what seems a huge negative turn for capitalism in general. It's saying "hey, greed is destroying it all".

Which is something that seems many of us realized long, long ago. Now, the question is will the ones needing to realize it, do so? Well if your robotic facade is any indication, it's unlikely. Everyone "just goes with the flow". Don't worry about that loud sucking and gurgling or getting dizzy in the whirlpool, that's just y'all being flushed. And yeah, that's where it's all headed if there's no change.

*sighs* Damn it, I was not aiming to be a Gloomy Gus. *ahem*

At least the barometric pressure has let up a good bit here. My sinuses are thankful of that. :)

Here's the bottom line for me: As long as the guys at the top observe that their current procedures put more money in their own pockets, then everybody else can go get fucked. If it stops working, they'll get whoever's left to figure out how to get the money coming in again. Whatever they've gotta do is what they will do.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Finally finished with with my running around this morning. At 8AM I was at my Sweeties fixng a few things for her. Then off to Dollar Tree for Bread for the birds and a bunch of other stuff. Then to King Kullen for a Boneless Chuck Roast that the butcher cut me up a truly lovely one~! Then off to Foodtown because they had so much stuff on Sale.

Have my Roast Brining in the Fridge and going to set up the Smoker~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
shit's been proven to roll downhill.

Although from working in a poultry plant I can tell anyone sh*t can defy gravity. Working on live hang we often had to dodge sh*t bombs of chickens as they defecated and it went airborne.

This is why sometimes people got punched, shoved. The company had put eight to ten guys on the live hang line. There was only room to stand shoulder to shoulder.

When these bombs flew, you can imagine guys weaving back and forth to dodge, yet still catching up six chickens and shackling them as the line kept moving. So yeah we were bound to get "roughed up" a bit working that line.

The good thing. Anyone going back there was really laid back, chill, we all understood there was no "fight". It was just "doing the work".

One of my American buddies was so apologetic though I had to escort him out. All the Hispanic folks took it as a sign of disrespect that he kept having to apologize, then be told for the umpteenth time "all was good". Once I stepped back a minute and saw him do it with me as well, I understood.

So yeah we got him out of there. Some just are not meant to "do the work" like that.

"Going through Hell, soldier?"
i
"Yes sir."

"Good, keep going!"

"Arrrgh!"

A.K.A Tough Mother Love

Son falls out of tree and lands on the ground possibly breaking an arm. Mother sees.

"Get up boy, you ain't hurt. Now, go shimmy all the way up to the top of that tree."

"But Mom, I think I broke my arm!"

"Ah bull, even if you did you ain't hurt. Get back on the horse what threw ya!"

"Yes, mom."

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn this came out Fantastic~!

View attachment 184140
Looks delicious. Finally got to break in my new grill tonight. Unfortunately no pics, wasn't the best of circumstances. Watched the rain clouds roll in, then watched them drift away and thought great, no problem. Lit the coals, about 3min before the tops were ashed over with clear looking skies it started to rain. Not too heavy thankfully. Pork chops didn't take long to cook, came out great though.

Got a chance to use the new thermometer, that wireless one works well. First time checking this grill, initially the built in thermometer in the lid looked accurate. Until it heated up, then it was off by around 30-40F. About the only downside I can think of are the coal grate handles are tucked inside the lid. With the lid closed especially makes them toasty hot for adjusting the coal height mid cook. I'll have to sort out some bail handles or something that hook onto it. Usually my grilled pork chops come out a little on the tough side, I'm not a fan of pink medium centers on pork. These were pretty thin but still came out moist and tender.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I think a lot of us who grew up with Depression-era parents are just about neurotic about eating pork that isn't cooked all the way through. My mother would've had a cow if we'd eaten pink-in-the-middle pork chops, but it's because the pork they had when they were kids was a risk for trichinosis if it wasn't cooked well-done. I don't think that's nearly as common now as it was back then.

The thing I can't stand is ground meat of any kind that is pink in the middle, but that's more of a texture thing for me. I am funny about the textures of different foods - that's my own neurosis, but as it turns out, it's good practice to keep from getting e-coli. I couldn't eat a rare hamburger if you paid me. lol

Having said all that, I love pork cooked on the grill. My husband does pork loins pretty often and they are great. And that chuck roast looks mighty tasty, too. Have to say, though, my absolute favorite is barbecued chicken. Sometimes hubbs will grill chicken and put barbecue sauce only on part of it. He just doesn't care for red barbecue sauce.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Although from working in a poultry plant I can tell anyone sh*t can defy gravity. Working on live hang we often had to dodge sh*t bombs of chickens as they defecated and it went airborne.

This is why sometimes people got punched, shoved. The company had put eight to ten guys on the live hang line. There was only room to stand shoulder to shoulder.

When these bombs flew, you can imagine guys weaving back and forth to dodge, yet still catching up six chickens and shackling them as the line kept moving. So yeah we were bound to get "roughed up" a bit working that line.

The good thing. Anyone going back there was really laid back, chill, we all understood there was no "fight". It was just "doing the work".

One of my American buddies was so apologetic though I had to escort him out. All the Hispanic folks took it as a sign of disrespect that he kept having to apologize, then be told for the umpteenth time "all was good". Once I stepped back a minute and saw him do it with me as well, I understood.

So yeah we got him out of there. Some just are not meant to "do the work" like that.

"Going through Hell, soldier?"
i
"Yes sir."

"Good, keep going!"

"Arrrgh!"

A.K.A Tough Mother Love

Son falls out of tree and lands on the ground possibly breaking an arm. Mother sees.

"Get up boy, you ain't hurt. Now, go shimmy all the way up to the top of that tree."

"But Mom, I think I broke my arm!"

"Ah bull, even if you did you ain't hurt. Get back on the horse what threw ya!"

"Yes, mom."

I think you've just demonstrated to me what an overindulgent mother I am. I can be tough in some ways, but potential injury isn't one of those ways.

Also I've heard about chicken processing plants from my husband and son, who used to occasionally work on the dock doors and such. None of us would probably ever eat chicken again if we took a good tour through one of those places. Same holds true for processing plants that make hot dogs, bologna, and such.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We tend to stay really light with the garlic around here, but I love lemon pepper chicken. That is some good stuff.

Somehow my youngest daughter became a garlic fiend. She would probably love that Herb & Garlic marinade.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We tend to stay really light with the garlic around here, but I love lemon pepper chicken. That is some good stuff.

Somehow my youngest daughter became a garlic fiend. She would probably love that Herb & Garlic marinade.

Actually it isn't heavy on the Garlic. They sell it at Dollar Tree so if you can try it for a buck even if you toss it after opening it won't be a big waste. At a regular Market you could pay up to $4.99 for the exact same stuff.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
None of us would probably ever eat chicken again if we took a good tour through one of those places.

Well I worked in one, doing everything but paper work. Down that way the Rotary/Jaycee's/Lion's club/s used to do half chicken for $2.50, whole for $5 grilling. They ran a pit in Broadway right off route 259, one of the main through ways.

From Spring until mid Fall we had chicken every weekend. Lots who worked in the plant had no problem eating it. One group used to do beer can grilling so we had all kinds of recipes going on each weekend. Always yummy to get chicken, watermelon. Used to put watermelon into the spring house bin, let it soak all day in the spring water.

We knew where the chicken come from. Knew what processing it took. Still ate it fine. :) Still do.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
None of us would probably ever eat chicken again if we took a good tour through one of those places. Same holds true for processing plants that make hot dogs, bologna, and such.

When I was young my Grandmother used to take me to the Chicken Farm. I would pick out the chicken and the guy would slap it on a cutting block break it's neck and chop off the head. Then holding it by the neck he slapped it on a spinning feather removal machine. Childhood Memories~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Putting away some cans and stuff I bought yesterday I found 2 5 Lb bags of Potatoes I bought recently started going bad. What a freaking mess~! Liquid from rotting Potatoes stinks.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, at heart I guess I'm a squeamish little city girl. When we moved out here to the country and got a small herd of goats, my husband talked about picking out one of them to slaughter and barbecue, and I said OH HELL NO YOU AIN'T EITHER.

I wouldn't have made a good pioneer. I'd have starved, I guess, or lived on berries and grass. lol

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Putting away some cans and stuff I bought yesterday I found 2 5 Lb bags of Potatoes I bought recently started going bad. What a freaking mess~! Liquid from rotting Potatoes stinks.

We need a "Yuck Face" emoji in the "Like" list! lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, at heart I guess I'm a squeamish little city girl. When we moved out here to the country and got a small herd of goats, my husband talked about picking out one of them to slaughter and barbecue, and I said OH HELL NO YOU AIN'T EITHER.

I wouldn't have made a good pioneer. I'd have starved, I guess, or lived on berries and grass. lol

Years ago my Cousin went to Italy and played with a Lamb all week. Before they left for home the relatives made a Big Feast with Lamb and all the trimmings. After dinner ,y cousin went to play with the Lamb.........

VU Sponsors