Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you know anything companion planting to stop aphids id love to know. They are our number 1 herb veg pest here. And the reason im giving up growing many things.
I'm still looking for the old Rodale book. I hope I didn't give it away to someone who wanted to start a garden, but since you posted this message, I have been thinking and thinking. Everyone worries about aphids, but I had a dream last night that helped me remember something. This is tough information that some will not want to know: wasps love eating aphids. They feast on aphids, and wasps are pollinators of certain plants, while we have lost much of the bee population in recent decades. Wasps are not interested in aggressing against you, unless they feel threatened by you. They work during certain times of day, as I recall midmorning and late afternoon, though their "on-duty" hours may depend on location and climate. When they were buzzing all around the tomato plants, that was my time to go indoors and enjoy an iced tea. They worked while I relaxed. So when I hear of people destroying wasp nests, it makes me cry. I was still a smoker back then, and while I wouldn't recommend smoking underneath a wasp nest, even if I did it unawares, one would fly down and thunk me on the arm, to remind me I was intruding on their nonsmoking nest, but I was never once stung by a wasp. Never have been, my whole life.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a red Bull one time and never again. Too much for me. Although my coffee is Perked in a Glass Percolator and strong it doesn't hype me up. Just makes me wake up. I rarely drink coffee passed 11AM or so except an Espresso after dinner on occasion.
Me too, once, and never again. One time a Red Bull sales rep came to my old office and gave out free cans. It didn't taste good, and made me feel really irritated and kind of aggressive. Gack.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to have 2 every morning. As well as drinking 500ml cans of caff and ginseng sodas. They were ultra hype up stuff. Being married to who I also had Italian percolated ones as well.
But got told after a check up, dial it all back. So I did. I get why I was told to.
I do feel better though to be honest. I still love the taste though so drink Moccona Decaf. Still has a little caf. Just minus the chipmunk high! :giggle:
Interesting. Never heard of Moccona before. My little everyday plebian secret is that I use Folgers singles. They're coffee bags like tea bags, and I serve them to others too, often with good comments about the flavor. Each bag is part instant coffee, part real ground coffee. They taste just like any regular coffee, and no pot to clean up. If I get a gift of fancy coffee, I bring out my French press, which is the next easiest thing. I hate coffee machines. They get full of deposits and take forever to make coffee, though the spent grounds are good for the garden. My prepper supply includes cans of Jay Street unsweetened black. It's delicious. A dinner party treat is Califia Farms almond milk coffee beverage in the 48 oz. refrigerated container. Thank God for coffee.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I had a red Bull one time and never again. Too much for me. Although my coffee is Perked in a Glass Percolator and strong it doesn't hype me up. Just makes me wake up. I rarely drink coffee passed 11AM or so except an Espresso after dinner on occasion.
Oh mate. Red Bull was not enough for me. The ones I used to have were like 2 Red Bulls in a row. I actually would look at the ingredients and if they were like that id get another with twice the amount, if not in stock and no choice the 2 Red Bulls. Looking back it was stupid. And probably, more than likely, contributed to me being told by my Dr to dial things back.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Interesting. Never heard of Moccona before. My little everyday plebian secret is that I use Folgers singles. They're coffee bags like tea bags, and I serve them to others too, often with good comments about the flavor. Each bag is part instant coffee, part real ground coffee. They taste just like any regular coffee, and no pot to clean up. If I get a gift of fancy coffee, I bring out my French press, which is the next easiest thing. I hate coffee machines. They get full of deposits and take forever to make coffee, though the spent grounds are good for the garden. My prepper supply includes cans of Jay Street unsweetened black. It's delicious. A dinner party treat is Califia Farms almond milk coffee beverage in the 48 oz. refrigerated container. Thank God for coffee.
Hi. Moccona comes from Germany. Beautiful coffee. Rich and creamy type.
Im pretty sure it was once, maybe still is a Netherlands coffee. The pack says from Germany but packed in the Netherlands. But if my memory is right it once was 100% Netherlands. They make several types. From dark percolated taste, to the original creamy smooth one. They make something for every taste. Best quality instant you can get iv ever tasted.
Just Googled and yep, this is it. Awesome instant.
https://www.enjoybettercoffee.com/Douwe-Egberts-s/373.htm

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have been running around since 8AM this morning. My GF had a clogged sewer line out of the house so I had to diagnose that over the phone. I told her I might be able to snake it out but best idea is to call a Professional. I would have probably had to rent a big snake so not worth the time and trouble.

Went to 3 stores to pick up dinner and stock up on Alcohol~! Bought Peach Moonshine~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

This is my favorite way to make coffee.

1628265104920.png

Espresso and Cappuccino are done with the Nespresso Machine

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have been running around since 8AM this morning. My GF had a clogged sewer line out of the house so I had to diagnose that over the phone. I told her I might be able to snake it out but best idea is to call a Professional. I would have probably had to rent a big snake so not worth the time and trouble.

Went to 3 stores to pick up dinner and stock up on Alcohol~! Bought Peach Moonshine~!
vi-3.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stove top Percolator~! Medelco
Yah, unless I'm mistaken, that works the same way the moka pot works. Somewhere I also have one of those Chemex pour-over pots with the wood collar, which I quit using because you have to buy the filters, too much fuss. One of these days I'll post a photo of mine in the little French maid apron I made for it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yah, unless I'm mistaken, that works the same way the moka pot works. Somewhere I also have one of those Chemex pour-over pots with the wood collar, which I quit using because you have to buy the filters, too much fuss. One of these days I'll post a photo of mine in the little French maid apron I made for it.

You put the grinds in the basket and perk~! Easy peezy and clean up with water. No filters just add Coffee~!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You put the grinds in the basket and perk~! Easy peezy and clean up with water. No filters just add Coffee~!
Right, like the Moka pot, where you put grounds in the top, water in the bottom, perk it on the stove, and the percolating water bubbles up into the grounds. Best coffee ever. You can even take that on a camping trip and enjoy gourmet coffee by the campfire, the metal "moka" one anyway, dunno about the glass Medelco one. Chemex is the pour-over, different thing, takes too long, requires filters, but I still like the artistic design of it, the top equal in size to the bottom. It still makes a nice vase. My dad used to like making what he called "cowboy coffee", reverse filtering. Boil the water, remove from heat, throw in the coffee grounds, steep a little, then pour it off into a cup, trying to leave behind the grounds, or pour it all through a filter. I think it just made a mess. Any of these methods, however, are favorable over the space consuming coffee making machine that makes mediocre, lukewarm coffee, or the currently popular Keurig cup machines that create landfill with every cup. In lieu of the Folgers single serve coffee bags, I have also used coffee "pads" which are meant to be used in a machine, but can be used just like tea bags, and there are organic ones on the market, but they're a bit pricey for me to use all the time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Somewhere I have a Marlboro Coffee Pot still in the box. Made for around the campfire~!

Last edited:

vapemilitia55

Unlisted Vendor
Shitting on the front porch feels awesome and vaping is refresh our mind with an overload of the work it's cooldowns my mind. In a week I used to do vaping in front or back porch.

Edited by moderator- removed a spam link

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"... vine borers got the patty pan"

A long time ago I started a real garden at my aunt's house, where I lived for a year after moving home from Dallas. I had 45 things growing. I used an old Rodale book on organic gardening, left to me by my mom. It had tips on companion planting to foil plant pests. I wish I could remember what I planted to keep borers off the gourds I grew, but it really worked. I never sprayed with any pesticide, but that gourd vine (which is squash family) took over a fence and produced huge, beautiful healthy gourds. Our neighbors on the other side of the fence asked if they could have some, to make decorative pieces, and I said yes of course, anything growing on their side was theirs. It was insane, the most fun thing I ever grew. If I can find that old Rodale book, I'll let you know what I planted to keep away the borers.
Radishes

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got the corn watered a bit better since it got dark last night during watering. Half my green onions didn't come up so replanted, same with spinach. Was planning to plant more anyway but planted some to fill in the gaps. Planted more lettuce, the first group of the second round is coming up decent. Yanked all but one zucchini plant and pulled the patty pan. Was rotting at the ground along the main stem smelling rather fermented which is odd. Given the spot I've got it planted in was barely moist and was a bit dry on top.

Planted another group of carrots, more beets since only the one sprouted up. Replanted both types of cucumbers and planted peas. Maybe the peas will do better as a fall plant than spring. Tried more radishes, about to give up on them. This is like the 3rd year radishes just won't play nice for me, not when planted in the spring, in the summer, in the fall.

Melons are doing decent, hoping to have some cantaloupe soon. Watermelons are getting bigger. Got some of those plastic cradles to raise them off the ground and hopefully avoid rotten spots. Some stuff may or may not do well, figured it's worth trying a second round. Typically stays warm through September and only cools off significantly mid October. Hate to just give up on some of the things that haven't made it, even if it's a lower yield.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thanks. It did work here yrs ago as did a not actual onion plant which we still have planted in the garden. You really smell it after rain. But alas it, they, might as well not be there now. I think ill just buy and not waste hundreds of dollars trying to grow here now.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. It did work here yrs ago as did a not actual onion plant which we still have planted in the garden. You really smell it after rain. But alas it, they, might as well not be there now. I think ill just buy and not waste hundreds of dollars trying to grow here now.
Will any kind of sage grow in your local? It can drive things away. If it does grow, might be a cheap to next to nothing cost effective way to be rid of aphids.

Barring that I might invest in a box of lady bugs. Lady bugs eat aphids. Would figure they could get you a small batch of lady bugs, some other sources.

Although you may ultimately be correct. Simply buying the veggies you want might be fiscally better off. Lady bugs run about $40 USD per packet of 30. Could see 100s spent on them easily.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Radishes as a companion plant to keep out vine borers? Sounds like a simple fix, now if I could just get the damn radishes to grow. lmfao. Simplest plant in the world, grew them in the desert but not here.
As you see, Jimi sounded in to suggest planting radishes and garlic to repel the squash vine borers. I didn't try those. Soils and climates vary, but based on his recent photo of his onions, it seems obvious that Jimi has knowledge and talent for growing things.

I found my old Rodale book, and I totally remembered the experience. I used catnip. I worried that the cats would tear it up, but they didn't. They liked to lounge on the mulch around the plants, but never attacked the plants. I planted several nursery starts of catnip next to where I'd started the gourd vines, and it kept the borers away, but again, it was gourds, not squash. I looked it up to see if the prevailing wisdom has changed, and I read that catnip is still recommended to repel borers, and that it attracts lacewings, beneficial insects that like to eat aphids.

These days, renting, my efforts go toward tending the neglected yard. After Snowbeast came to Texas in February, the long bed in front of our windows was full of big dead brown things that were never coming back. I cut things down, dug them up, pulled, dried, made things into mulch, and finally planted some nandina bushes in June. They grow everywhere around here. We had one that was a volunteer, and came through the freeze without any signs of trauma, for which reason I chose these. They've been sitting there since June, same size they were when they came home from the nursery. They still look healthy, and I read that their growing season is in the fall, so I remain hopeful.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Will any kind of sage grow in your local? It can drive things away. If it does grow, might be a cheap to next to nothing cost effective way to be rid of aphids.

Barring that I might invest in a box of lady bugs. Lady bugs eat aphids. Would figure they could get you a small batch of lady bugs, some other sources.

Although you may ultimately be correct. Simply buying the veggies you want might be fiscally better off. Lady bugs run about $40 USD per packet of 30. Could see 100s spent on them easily.
I think every gardener should try growing sage and any other culinary herbs they like to eat because, at least in my experience, they're so easy to grow, and all of them will either repel pests and/or attract beneficial insects, but I agree with you: the notion that growing your own food saves money is a laugh, at least for the first couple of years while you are learning and experimenting with your soil and your micro-climate.

And wow, the price of lady bugs has really gone up! I never bought them. I was thrilled when they showed up in my garden on their own.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Radishes as a companion plant to keep out vine borers? Sounds like a simple fix, now if I could just get the damn radishes to grow. lmfao. Simplest plant in the world, grew them in the desert but not here.

I planted a pack of Radish Seeds last year. Got 3-4 Radishes~! WTF?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
2eb46d1091d8b69349a7c0ab3be969ca.gif

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

I think every gardener should try growing sage and any other culinary herbs they like to eat because, at least in my experience, they're so easy to grow, and all of them will either repel pests and/or attract beneficial insects, but I agree with you: the notion that growing your own food saves money is a laugh, at least for the first couple of years while you are learning and experimenting with your soil and your micro-climate.

And wow, the price of lady bugs has really gone up! I never bought them. I was thrilled when they showed up in my garden on their own.
I heard about sage and went to get a plant last season. I had only saw them in the garden shop here the week earlier. When I went they were gone. Im sure they were Purple Sage plants. Ill look in the next few months here when the new stock comes for them.
Lady bugs! They used to be prolific here, saw them all the time. Id say not just us but neighbors too have said "where have the ladybugs gone?" In the past 2 yrs id say iv seen 3. One was in my car which I guess blew in whilst driving. That was the last I saw. Maybe 10 months ago. They used to be crazy common when we were kids. Youd see one, pick it up, make a wish, blow gently on it and see it fly away. Now! Forget about it.
I think the modern day use of pesticides has decimated their populations as has been done too many other helpful insects.
I saw a show a while ago about beneficial insects in the UK and Europe.
They said that yrs ago driving through the UK countryside you had to clean your windscreen every day. They drove for a whole day during spring and at the end of the day on the show you wouldnt bother to clean it. Was 90% clean.
They then did an insect catch. Set up bug, meters long, micro netting during the day and night time with lights to attract them. They said compared to a few decades ago doing the same the results were alarming with just a small fraction now getting caught of beneficial insects. Those were ones that pollinate and others that prey on pests. Many too that they were not sure what their place was but still was cause for serious concern. They blamed it 99% on pesticides.
An experiment was done. The had farms set up natural corridors between crop areas. The length of the paddocks, between them. They allowed grasses and things to grow in the corridors unhindered. No pesticides used on the crops.
Insects in them, the corridors were some introduced, natural to the areas and some just came naturally
The results amazed them. The crops end harvests were at least the same as sprayed crops and some better.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dug out my old Bug Zapper the other day and had it on for 2 nights before we heard the 1st Crack~! Saw 2 pesky Skeeters melted to the grid last night~!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I heard about sage and went to get a plant last season. I had only saw them in the garden shop here the week earlier. When I went they were gone. Im sure they were Purple Sage plants. Ill look in the next few months here when the new stock comes for them.
Lady bugs! They used to be prolific here, saw them all the time. Id say not just us but neighbors too have said "where have the ladybugs gone?" In the past 2 yrs id say iv seen 3. One was in my car which I guess blew in whilst driving. That was the last I saw. Maybe 10 months ago. They used to be crazy common when we were kids. Youd see one, pick it up, make a wish, blow gently on it and see it fly away. Now! Forget about it.
I think the modern day use of pesticides has decimated their populations as has been done too many other helpful insects.
I saw a show a while ago about beneficial insects in the UK and Europe.
They said that yrs ago driving through the UK countryside you had to clean your windscreen every day. They drove for a whole day during spring and at the end of the day on the show you wouldnt bother to clean it. Was 90% clean.
They then did an insect catch. Set up bug, meters long, micro netting during the day and night time with lights to attract them. They said compared to a few decades ago doing the same the results were alarming with just a small fraction now getting caught of beneficial insects. Those were ones that pollinate and others that prey on pests. Many too that they were not sure what their place was but still was cause for serious concern. They blamed it 99% on pesticides.
An experiment was done. The had farms set up natural corridors between crop areas. The length of the paddocks, between them. They allowed grasses and things to grow in the corridors unhindered. No pesticides used on the crops.
Insects in them, the corridors were some introduced, natural to the areas and some just came naturally
The results amazed them. The crops end harvests were at least the same as sprayed crops and some better.
It is heartbreaking. I believe the home gardeners and small farmers make up the army that can make a difference, the only force that will really save our air, our soil and water, our plants and creatures, through intention, effort, communication, and abundance of love and gratitude for what we have on this paradise of a planet where we are temporary guests.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking the other day that my Garden is Organic since I do not use any pesticides or fertilizer except for my Compost. I do use it on the lawns though and since I used Bug Be Gone no Ants~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Saw the neighbors garage door open across the street this morning at 5:30AM so I texted him. Has the tools and kids bikes in the garage since they are putting an addition on the back of the house. Thankfully nothing was stolen and he was so grateful for my looking out~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Saw the neighbors garage door open across the street this morning at 5:30AM so I texted him. Has the tools and kids bikes in the garage since they are putting an addition on the back of the house. Thankfully nothing was stolen and he was so grateful for my looking out~!
Last week someone tried coming into our hovel here at 2-3 am one morning. Shrek lit out on them barking. Wife got up to see what was going on. Said she heard sounds indicating maybe someone had the wrong place.

We normally don't lock the door. We did for about a week though after that. No guns in the hovel I'm aware of but damn sure plenty of knives. Consider I can field dress a deer in less than fifteen seconds. Would have no problem gutting someone meaning us harm.

Hopefully, that'll never be the situation. Thinking as wife said, someone had the wrong place. Then too we both thought, "just who does that, comes into someone's home that late unannounced?" Any how, no one has bothered since.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I was thinking the other day that my Garden is Organic since I do not use any pesticides or fertilizer except for my Compost. I do use it on the lawns though and since I used Bug Be Gone no Ants~!
Last yr was my last yr using things to try and kill garden bugs. Now, we're done, what happens in our garden happens.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Last week someone tried coming into our hovel here at 2-3 am one morning. Shrek lit out on them barking. Wife got up to see what was going on. Said she heard sounds indicating maybe someone had the wrong place.

We normally don't lock the door. We did for about a week though after that. No guns in the hovel I'm aware of but damn sure plenty of knives. Consider I can field dress a deer in less than fifteen seconds. Would have no problem gutting someone meaning us harm.

Hopefully, that'll never be the situation. Thinking as wife said, someone had the wrong place. Then too we both thought, "just who does that, comes into someone's home that late unannounced?" Any how, no one has bothered since.
Home invasions are common here in Oz. See it all the time on the news. They smash in doors with sledge hammer's and windows. Hold people at hostage with guns and knives demanding the keys for cars and valuables, bash the owners, knife them, stomp their heads and leave them ruined.
My youngest sister works in youth crime and social services. She says what we see on the news is a fraction of what really goes on. She says its out of control in Melbourne suburbs. Her words "its gone crazy".
Our country town is so far ok. But I have a big baseball size pick handle right next to my bed and a big razor sharp hunting knife next to it.
This was unheard of here in Oz until recent yrs when certain countries refugees were allowed to come here. I dont care who or what colour anyone is.
But many did NOT come as refugees. We got used. They brought their violence and crime here and we are paying the consequences for that naivety. Many warned what would happen but they were shut down and labeled racist.
Its not racism. We have always been an accepting multicultural country, with open welcoming arms. Italians, Greeks, Irish, Indian, Pakistan, the list goes on...all good and welcome...but now its changed our nation for ever.
I have seen them openly in public when going to Melbourne walking along parked cars trying to open the doors to rob them. They yell abuse at anyone threatening them if challenged. They have no fear or respect. In a town just 50 ks away iv seen them walking about abusing people, sitting on peoples car hoods drinking alcohol and laughing at anyone who says anything!
Anyone comes through my door at night uninvited....they leave in an ambulance.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

First thing that comes to my mind is: Somebody was REALLY drunk. Thought they were at home.

I've also read about marigolds being good insect repellents, specifically around roses and tomatoes. I think any plant that has a very prominent scent can help repel some kinds of insects, so that's probably why certain herbs work as well.

I love marigolds. And ladybugs. :)

VU Sponsors