Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Been in --54°C weather before and survived. That was Naval Recruit Training camp in Illinois. We got snow, ice. One night we were out in it when it was pitching a blizzard. Our one CC (company commander) took us to a spot of black ice. It was maybe twenty yards long by maybe two yards wide.

The CC poured vegetable oil on the ice and told us, all 60 of our men had to get over it in double time without anyone falling. It took us a bit until no one landed on their bums. We became a team, a functional full unit that night. After the ice crossing we drilled another four hours.

Federal laws say folks are only supposed to be out about an hour in such weather no matter clothing/gear. So yes, our CC pushed federal aside. There was a reasoning behind it though. We learned what the devil of coldness held in store. We learned to survive it.

Still, I rather be warm than face the cold anymore. And yes, I was even out in Lake Michigan in those temperatures. Yes, we were greased up with body grease, wrapped in saran wrap and in wet suits designed for extreme temps. Point being you cannot fathom being 50 ft down under the water in pitch black and cold like that even through gear fit for it. (50 ft was not our maximum depth though, it's a good baseline but we did go deeper.)

And yes I also did a Polar Bear dive once. So yes, I've faced the cold. Know it and can survive it. Rather not know it any more. And yes I say the current temps are cold now. *chuckles* As one of our CC's used to sing if we got over -18°C. "We're having a heat wave!"

I like 60°F+ myself. I was born in Orlando, FL., anything below 60°F is freezing to us. *chuckles* Well, I say born but some say rolled off an orange tree into the Atlantic. Then grew up in VA around the Shenandoah River Valley area and Blue Ridge Mountains. Living now in the Western part of WV.
so perhaps you are an american monkey lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been in --54°C weather before and survived. That was Naval Recruit Training camp in Illinois. We got snow, ice. One night we were out in it when it was pitching a blizzard. Our one CC (company commander) took us to a spot of black ice. It was maybe twenty yards long by maybe two yards wide.

The CC poured vegetable oil on the ice and told us, all 60 of our men had to get over it in double time without anyone falling. It took us a bit until no one landed on their bums. We became a team, a functional full unit that night. After the ice crossing we drilled another four hours.

Federal laws say folks are only supposed to be out about an hour in such weather no matter clothing/gear. So yes, our CC pushed federal aside. There was a reasoning behind it though. We learned what the devil of coldness held in store. We learned to survive it.

Still, I rather be warm than face the cold anymore. And yes, I was even out in Lake Michigan in those temperatures. Yes, we were greased up with body grease, wrapped in saran wrap and in wet suits designed for extreme temps. Point being you cannot fathom being 50 ft down under the water in pitch black and cold like that even through gear fit for it. (50 ft was not our maximum depth though, it's a good baseline but we did go deeper.)

And yes I also did a Polar Bear dive once. So yes, I've faced the cold. Know it and can survive it. Rather not know it any more. And yes I say the current temps are cold now. *chuckles* As one of our CC's used to sing if we got over -18°C. "We're having a heat wave!"

I like 60°F+ myself. I was born in Orlando, FL., anything below 60°F is freezing to us. *chuckles* Well, I say born but some say rolled off an orange tree into the Atlantic. Then grew up in VA around the Shenandoah River Valley area and Blue Ridge Mountains. Living now in the Western part of WV.

I once fell thru the Ice in a Sump in below Zero Weather and my clothes froze before I could get home to get out of them less than Half a Mile away. Took a long time even in my teens to warm up which today might freaking kill me~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
so perhaps you are an american monkey lol
l_c793f49a-3379-49bb-8760-5ada10fd0586.jpg

I'm the big furry guy. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I once fell thru the Ice in a Sump in below Zero Weather and my clothes froze before I could get home to get out of them less than Half a Mile away. Took a long time even in my teens to warm up which today might freaking kill me~!

Yep, had our dungarees (denim) freeze on us up there a few times. It would literally crack and bust apart on our legs when we came back inside into our heated "compartments". So you had guys walking in and losing their pants nearly instantly. The CC's would just write us a clothing voucher, send a detail to fetch us new dungarees.

We loved our wool P coats. :) They were literally life savers.

UF7070.jpg

They have a down filled inner quilted liner but are otherwise 100% wool aside from the nylon/plastic buttons.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Yep, had our dungarees (denim) freeze on us up there a few times. It would literally crack and bust apart on our legs when we came back inside into our heated "compartments". So you had guys walking in and losing their pants nearly instantly. The CC's would just write us a clothing voucher, send a detail to fetch us new dungarees.

UF7070.jpg

They have a down filled inner quilted liner but are otherwise 100% wool aside from the nylon/plastic buttons.
we used to get our milk deliered in uk, it had a foil top on the bottles, i went out to get it one morning and a bird had pecked through the foil. the milf shot out of the bottle and the bird was frozen into the milk!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
we used to get our milk deliered in uk, it had a foil top on the bottles, i went out to get it one morning and a bird had pecked through the foil. the milf shot out of the bottle and the bird was frozen into the milk!

I may or may not be talking out me arse to say I know Scotland can get a might harsh too. Know in England it can be bad and simply due to mates there. Can't really say that of Scotland although I do got a lady friend there.

She uses a handle of Dark Eyes, used to be a don at Oxford for English language/literature. Once told me she'd sneak me onto the roll and she would get me a classical liberal education. Told her it was bad enough I had certain teachers fit that in me when I was just we bern & teen. She asked who they were, recognized them & said I was right.

The one teacher had me learn basic transliteration. Had to get Greek to German to English to read Beowulf. Oh how I hated her not mentioning translations already being done. *smh & chuckles*

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

UF7070.jpg

When I was young we used to wear them and shop at the Army Navy Surplus Store. I don't think I have seen one in 40 some odd years though.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I used to frequent a place we could shoot the shit or just be sociable so I created this thread for those of us who need a place to unload or just relax and enjoy a vape. In the front watching the world go by or in the back listening to some good music with a friend and a cocktail~! Please keep it civil but have some enjoyment and keep it fun.
who is not being civil?

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
I may or may not be talking out me arse to say I know Scotland can get a might harsh too. Know in England it can be bad and simply due to mates there. Can't really say that of Scotland although I do got a lady friend there.

She uses a handle of Dark Eyes, used to be a don at Oxford for English language/literature. Once told me she'd sneak me onto the roll and she would get me a classical liberal education. Told her it was bad enough I had certain teachers fit that in me when I was just we bern & teen. She asked who they were, recognized them & said I was right.

The one teacher had me learn basic transliteration. Had to get Greek to German to English to read Beowulf. Oh how I hated her not mentioning translations already being done. *smh & chuckles*
i got caught outside the girls changing room peeking through the window, the female teacher made sure they were dressed then threw me in!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i got caught outside the girls changing room peeking through the window, the female teacher made sure they were dressed then threw me in!

That's germane how? I was talking literally of actual education in the American education system. My lady friend would have pulled strings for me to have me attend Oxford University in England. Once she knew the teachers I had here though, she knew I had gotten a liberal education.

have you reached puberty yet?

Took me until mid twenties but yes, I'm well beyond puberty.

geez guys there are some strange sceptic tanke here tiday

Stink always declares itself in my experience. Apologies to mates here. Been as civil as can possibly be. You kind of stepped right in it of your own accord & will. So, as that's the case if the shoe fits, ...

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
That's germane how? I was talking literally of actual education in the American education system. My lady friend would have pulled strings for me to have me attend Oxford University in England. Once she knew the teachers I had here though, she knew I had gotten a liberal education.

Took me until mid twenties but yes, I'm well beyond puberty.

Stink always declares itself in my experience. Apologies to mates here. Been as civil as can possibly be. You kind of stepped right in it of your own accord & will. So, as that's the case if the shoe fits, ...
asswipe

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Geez, it’s gotten rather pungent in here. I’m stepping out onto my back porch.

Think I'm off to my woods. Do apologize for my contribution to the odors. I wasn't upset, angered. In fact I did think there might have been actual conversation to be had. Again, sometimes I'm too much the optimist and see good in all. *sighs* Yeah, disappointment, ... *heads on into the woods* "night" *over his shoulder as he vanishes*

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Excuse me if am more reticent, think it is better for everyone. I have some poetry to write this morning at any given. Went to sleep recalling a few couplets. Better to set them down before I lose them. Morning everyone, hope all are well & have a great one today.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good morning people of the Proch!

*nods wearing his green face* "Charlie, he a walk like dis. See?" *does a little jig step or two*

*coughs* Sorry, not sorry. I'm just a wonderful humor today. Well, need to go feed the Maow beast. He'll be thudding on the door if I don't. I'll mistake him for federali battering ram crew. *smh* Run 'er slow, everybody.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
What the hell just happened? It went there in a handbasket, quick. We can stop this now.

Steve must be busy, else he'd already have said something.

Good morning, folks. Let's try this again, ok?

I'll respond to some of the civil part of earlier conversation. I actually have a Pea Coat, but couldn't find a navy one that fit, so the one I have is OD green. I save it to wear when it gets REALLY cold, because that's what it's made for. Thing must weigh 8 or 9 pounds!

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What the hell just happened? It went there in a handbasket, quick. We can stop this now.

Steve must be busy, else he'd already have said something.

Good morning, folks. Let's try this again, ok?

I'll respond to some of the civil part of earlier conversation. I actually have a Pea Coat, but couldn't find a navy one that fit, so the one I have is OD green. I save it to wear when it gets REALLY cold, because that's what it's made for. Thing must weigh 8 or 9 pounds!

I had the OD green field coat with the liner in the 70’s. I’ve seen the P coat but never had one.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I had the OD green field coat with the liner in the 70’s. I’ve seen the P coat but never had one.

I think the Air Force had a version of that field coat, too. I remember my hubbs talking about his. He still has his raincoat from back then, but god, the noise it makes! It's all dried out and old as dirt. I think he needs to put it in the shower and run hot water over it.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe we should be worried?? LMAO

I must have clicked on the wrong notification and didn't read where I was posting~! Thanks for the laugh I needed one~!

I just figured you didn't feel like dealing with the debacle that was the Porches last night (and early this morning? Dunno.).

When I said something about it, I managed to kill conversation for most of the day. Didn't mean for that to happen.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
see
I just figured you didn't feel like dealing with the debacle that was the Porches last night (and early this morning? Dunno.).

When I said something about it, I managed to kill conversation for most of the day. Didn't mean for that to happen.
its cool you killed nothing

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I must have missed something~! I will have to go read some older posts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey @geordie cut the crap already because that shit doesn't fly here. Having Fun is one thing but your being a freaking Dickhead. Too Bad the Mud Pit is gone or that is where you would wind up~!

@nadalama I was just busy this morning and never read any of that BS or I would have said something.

1639082571322.png

VU Sponsors