Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Good morning! TGIF!

We are getting some breezy and rainy weather this morning, courtesy of Hurricane Ian. So far it's only the very outer bands that extend into our area, but I just talked to my good friend in Jacksonville, NC and she has fairly strong winds and rain at her place. Jacksonville is very close to the coast. I always call her when bad weather is nearby because she hardly ever watches any tv - but today she told me she's been glued to The Weather Channel app, so she's up to date this time.

@SteveS45 if this storm doesn't fizzle out down here, you could be getting some of it, probably on Sunday afternoon or early Monday. Hopefully it will wear itself out down here. It also could stay farther inland.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good morning! TGIF!

We are getting some breezy and rainy weather this morning, courtesy of Hurricane Ian. So far it's only the very outer bands that extend into our area, but I just talked to my good friend in Jacksonville, NC and she has fairly strong winds and rain at her place. Jacksonville is very close to the coast. I always call her when bad weather is nearby because she hardly ever watches any tv - but today she told me she's been glued to The Weather Channel app, so she's up to date this time.

@SteveS45 if this storm doesn't fizzle out down here, you could be getting some of it, probably on Sunday afternoon or early Monday. Hopefully it will wear itself out down here. It also could stay farther inland.

Yeah last I saw was Late Saturday Night or Sunday. Has been windy as all shit for a few days and last remnants of a storm dumped a few inches of rain overnight.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning! TGIF!

We are supposed to be getting a little bit of it in East TN tonight (starting around Midnight) and tomorrow. Where I'm at we are expecting 1.5"-3" of rain with winds around 10-20 MPH.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I imagine our wind now is between 25 and 30 mph. I just saw that Norfolk is getting 40+ mph winds, but they are out on the coast. It's also raining cats and dogs here, too.

South Carolina is looking kinda rough now. I hope the storm loses some of its oomph before it gets to us (or to my daughter's house - she lives down below Raleigh so is quite a ways farther south than us).

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, we survived that. The wind and rain made me a little nervous, several different times. Lots of small debris flying through the air most of the night, it seemed like. We lost power at 9:30 pm, and a few hours later the phone and Internet went down. I told hubbs to just wait until this morning to deal with the generator, as we didn't really need anything during the hours we were asleep, so before light this morning he was out there cranking it up. Power is still off, but phone and Internet have been back on for about an hour now. I haven't been outside yet, but never heard anything that sounded like something major - no whole trees coming down. Closest I could gather from the weather people, I think the wind here at its strongest was about 50mph.

Hubbs and son had just brought down an old, rickety pine tree about two weeks ago, and I'm sure glad they did, because yesterday's storm would probably have brought it down.

One consolation about the ice storms we get here in the winter - if a tree is weak, being loaded down with ice will usually bring it down in a less violent manner than would happen with a wind storm.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Here on Long Island we had some rain most of the day and at times pretty hard. No Flooding that I know of in my area. Right now they are calling it Remnants of the Storm, but this morning it was a Tropical Storm.

I'm glad it wasn't too bad for you. I've been wondering about MMM, because the maps I saw this morning looked like WV was being doused by some of the storm remnants.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Because of this guy, I made a homemade "slide guitar" (laptop steel guitar) the "prototype" was totally made from scrap wood... nothing fancy but it played well. Since ten, I stained everything and got new strings... been a long time but ready to put it together. Wish me luck. My son was really into skateboards and I almost made one like that (just sayin)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Totally off topic... anyone even close to the hurricane zone... god bless you and hope you are all well )I mean, what can i really say. My heart goes out to you all (I don't just say that... it really does... no words to say what I feel (I once went through 10 feet of snow in one week) different but I know how hard it can be.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Woke up at 5AM and saw the Cable/Optimum was out because of an Err Code on the Box. Been rebooting 2 of them since then and drinking lots of coffee~! Since the Rain let up for a bit I decided to Test and pop the Evap Solenoid in my vehicle and take it for a Drive Cycle. No SEL but the Readiness Monitor didn't Test so I will need to do it again. One positive thing was thing was one of the wipers was cleaning one area right in front of my face on the drivers side even after replacing the Bosche Beam Blades. Noticed the arm didn't have the same curve at the end so gave it a little tweak and now good. $40 sort of wasted but will save them for winter emergency blades in case I break one plowing.

VU Sponsors