nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm kinda with @MyMagicMist, and Father's Day at my house is more about my husband than it is about either my biological dad or my adopted dad. I didn't meet my bio dad until I was 41 - he didn't care to ever even send me a damn birthday card or a phone call the whole time I was growing up, and my adopted dad, well, let's just say that he couldn't keep his hands to himself once I turned about 15.

I think we'd all be shocked if we knew how often that happens. And believe me, it messes with the emotions and the minds of young girls in a big way.

I am happy that already, my husband has heard "Happy Father's Day" from two of our three kids, the remaining one being the one who is out west right now and today is her twins' birthday. She'll be busy today doing a Birthday cookout, but I hope she'll give him a call a bit later.

I would like to wish all the fellas in this thread who are fathers a Happy Father's Day, and Steve, I do hope things will be easier for you as time goes by. I think it is wonderful that you have parents that you have such good and close relationships with, and you are open enough to talk about them. It is obvious how important they both are to you, and that is just so special.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yesterday was Summer Solstice, our state's State day. Today, I start six and a half days of work. Hoping it goes well.

ETA: Looked at it and it's likely only 5 days. Reckon they could get us working Saturday but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Today was a lot cooler, lower humidity and decent day. Realized I screwed up, had planned on 2" sand under my pavers. Idk why or where I got that from, standard is 1" or some use 3/4". So I ended up finding some 3/8 minus from a place. $26 for a pickup load. Beats buying it by the bag and didn't need a dump truck load. But I was too deep for just sand, not deep enough for rock. Figures, so I dug the footing out deeper for the rock. Trying to get it leveled again, won't have as much rock as some. Only like 1.75 or 2" I think. Better than nothing and it's just for the bbq.

First place I called about sand sent me someplace else for the rock. They didn't have gravel or at least not that kind. Drive down this dirt road, down, down. Get to an office and tell them what I want so the lady points to a map. She's like just keep in mind it's further apart than the map makes it look. I didn't realize it was a quarry. Huge ass place. Got lost, almost drove around the dig pit. Called and the lady in the office said he'd be out there where the pile is. Didn't know he was going to be loading it with a big ass loader. He barely had a partial scoop and was dumping it gently as he could. Some of it let loose and I watched the truck sink. Like whoa, I think that's all she's gonna take. lol. They're out there loading semis and commercial dump trucks, me out there lost and confused in a 1/2t pickup.

Most everywhere else sells materials by the bobcat load or half load. This is the size shit they used to fill the pickup bed (and a few feet behind it). Seen this sitting there waiting and thought oh shit, they gonna break the truck. Haha.

1624419434709.png

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So my Red Reuleaux Gen 3 has finally kissed the Ghost. Showing no Atomizer or a short. Too many drops has taken its toll. But the good news is Manny had a Red RX 200 for sale and it will be on it's way to me shortly~!
Watched "Paranormal Caught On Camera" here last night.
Looking forward to seeing that mod kiss that Ghost next episode!
As well as the Big Foot Family Picnic in Siberia.
I hear Vlad witnessed it and shared a sandwich.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
393551274e8fa4aa17d90e7d5b539178.gif

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Today was a lot cooler, lower humidity and decent day. Realized I screwed up, had planned on 2" sand under my pavers. Idk why or where I got that from, standard is 1" or some use 3/4". So I ended up finding some 3/8 minus from a place. $26 for a pickup load. Beats buying it by the bag and didn't need a dump truck load. But I was too deep for just sand, not deep enough for rock. Figures, so I dug the footing out deeper for the rock. Trying to get it leveled again, won't have as much rock as some. Only like 1.75 or 2" I think. Better than nothing and it's just for the bbq.

First place I called about sand sent me someplace else for the rock. They didn't have gravel or at least not that kind. Drive down this dirt road, down, down. Get to an office and tell them what I want so the lady points to a map. She's like just keep in mind it's further apart than the map makes it look. I didn't realize it was a quarry. Huge ass place. Got lost, almost drove around the dig pit. Called and the lady in the office said he'd be out there where the pile is. Didn't know he was going to be loading it with a big ass loader. He barely had a partial scoop and was dumping it gently as he could. Some of it let loose and I watched the truck sink. Like whoa, I think that's all she's gonna take. lol. They're out there loading semis and commercial dump trucks, me out there lost and confused in a 1/2t pickup.

Most everywhere else sells materials by the bobcat load or half load. This is the size shit they used to fill the pickup bed (and a few feet behind it). Seen this sitting there waiting and thought oh shit, they gonna break the truck. Haha.

View attachment 183424
When we would go get sand for masonry jobs, it was like we were ants avoiding getting stepped on, lol.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When we would go get sand for masonry jobs, it was like we were ants avoiding getting stepped on, lol.

A lot of the places around here that sell materials are either like lumber yards, farm stores or smaller lots with piles and bobcats for loading pickups or flatbeds. They usually have a few dump truck loads of gravel, sand, dirt, mulch or whatever and load with a bobcat. Had never been to this place before, didn't know it was a commercial mine. Seemed overkill. Felt like I showed up with a wheel barrow.

I'm just glad the guy with the loader was gentle. You never know who you're gonna get. Used to get large 1600lbs hay bales loaded into an enclosed cargo trailer and most of the time it went well. Until the guy headed straight in with hay forks and punctured several holes through the trailer door because he was off a bit. Had visions of the leaf springs collapsing and inverting. They haven't fixed the bridge in years so the backroad that used to go alongside the highway back to my place doesn't go through anymore. Had to creep down the highway at around 40mph. The tires bulging so badly was worried about heat buildup.

Still seems the most affordable option. Last time I needed gravel like that was for my shed, just had a dump truck bring me either a load or half load. But it was for graveling the driveway and had him dump a smaller pile for me further up near the house to move to the shed pad. Didn't need near as much this time around. They would've delivered for like $50 but $50 pretty much covers the cost of a pickup load of both sand and gravel. And I get that $50 likely is reasonable for their time plus fuel, just overkill for this project. Buying by the 50lb sack at someplace like Menards for their 'paver base' for this would've taken 24x 50lb sacks and run me $102.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched "Paranormal Caught On Camera" here last night.

Tuesday night here we watched "Paranormal Nightmare", one of those paranormal reality investigation shows. The Fourman brothers are on it. They are very low drama. Tonight I watched NXT which was on Tuesday night.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went out to put on the Sprinklers at 5AM and I saw it rained last night?? So threw out the trash and recycling for pickup. So nothing to do but drink coffee and vape~! The 1st thing I do in the morning is put on coffee.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
View attachment 183488

Put fresh Batts in it and installed my Rafale as soon as a took a pic of the Vape Mail~! LOL
All the Wismecs we have had lasted really well. 2 RX 80 minis stil going good. Had a RX 20700 twin mod that lasted ages till it got dropped on concrete. I do like the Tinker 2 waterproof, dustproof too. Only thing is it fires some tanks real fast like the Smok TFV16, but slug slow on an Innokin Scion.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use my Kanger Topbox Mini daily, it goes every where with me. It also stands up to all the abuse that I give it, but it keeps on firing up. It's my first mod kit I bought four yrs ago.
Won a Voopoo last yr or the yr before and it didn't last for a year, no abuse...didnt drop it or anything. It was my stay at home mod 'cause I knew I would've drop it being out and about. The screen started to flicker than just wouldn't come on. Every once in a while I'll put batteries in it to see if it will work, it don't...lol :teehee:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My 2 worst ever that failed within weeks on their own were the GTRS
images (2).jpeg
The Gtrs the fire buttton would stick and keep firing. Was utter rubbish. Did other stupid things like change the power settings without touching the buttons.
And the Dejavu
images (1).jpeg

The Dejavu was a shocker. I had the Dessert Yellow one on the right. Would turn itself off. Then on all on its own. The battery latch was so high, sticking out it would rock back and forwards. The program was rubbish. I'll give it one thing though. It was said to be made out of military grade shock, explosion proof, material and I think that was true. Anytime I get rubbish I throw it in my crusher dolly pot "Dolly" and destroy them just for satisfaction. The Deja took multi serious hits to even crack its screen. Dolly is a serious bit of destruction kit too. The head and handle solid heavy duty steel 20kgs. The pot the same, 20kgs. Meet Dolly.
20210615_113839_(1).jpg
She's made to crush one of the toughest minerals on earth, solid quartz.
The Deja construction blew me away how tough it was. Before it met Dolly I threw it multiple times against a big Gum Tree, on rocks, hit it with my pick several times but all that happened was a crack on the screen. Took a number of heavy drops of the crusher head to finally wreck it.
Shame electronically it wasn't the same as it was a nice mod visually.
All I have left, the Key ring thing. :giggle:
20210626_003611_(1).jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Seems like I've had plenty of mods die just from manufacturing defects, because I don't abuse my stuff and don't take mods outside or even walk from room to room with them very often. I have mods that live in the living room, some that are on a shelf, and some that are semi-permanently in the bedroom, so there's no need to carry them around.

So far, I've lost an IPV Vesta, two Modefined Lyras, two Sigelei Evayas, and an HCigar 101 that I just got not long ago - it worked for about two weeks and then died.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have never had a MOD start malfunctioning on it's own. All them took multiple falls to cement or pavement first. I have a bad habit of putting them in my lap when driving and when I get out of the car I am chasing the batteries.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, the Wismec Luxotic I got has stopped working. Really not sure why. I tried a different battery, tried cleaning it up. It will not work. No great issue to me. I kind of expect any kind of semi-mech or regulated mod to fail out.

Been working all week, scrubbing, sealing, waxing floors, moving furniture. Monday and Tuesday will be the same, plus we got 40-60 kids for Summer school, in an elementary school. Waiting until Tuesday night to get called to work further or not.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Back home for 2 weeks! My company takes a 4 day weekend for Independence Day, the Friday before and the Monday after this year. This means no flying to MN.

My OTR (On The Road) mods are all mech squonkers. They will get dropped. No worry about broken glass on a tank or a chip going bonkers. The worst that has happened is a broken drip tip when dropped. (In my best John Camren Swawzy voice) They take a licking and keep on ticking... :giggle:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got the patio dirt tamped down and mostly leveled and pitched the way I wanted. Got the timbers staked down around it, the weed cloth down (mostly to keep the gravel from disappearing into the mud). Got the gravel unloaded off the truck and into the area and halfassed leveled. Need to tamp it down yet and finish getting the pitch right. Still need to grab a load of sand and a couple of the pavers I placed out while leveling the dirt chipped, one flat out broke. All I did was drop the one edge down flat maybe 4" onto soft fluffed up backfill to get a reference for depth. So need to grab a few extras.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good your home safe n well. Im sure those bloody marys for breakfast were for purely medicinal purposes. ;)
You fly a lot there gopher, how many flights would you take on average each yr?
Lately I've been taking 3 to 4 trips per month. I have 1K status (highest tier) with United, Platinum with Delta, and will probably hit Gold with American as well. I prefer to fly with United as I'm just 60K miles short of having a million miles with them. I got a surprise yesterday on my flight home on United, the Pilot and First Officer gave me a birthday card. I did not see that coming.

VU Sponsors