Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got a little too much sun yesterday so the Mostly Cloudy Forecast is fine with me. Have more Wild Violets to pull but they will wait.

I turn olive to almost dirty brown with the sun. Got sun poison when I visited FL with my dad. That was rough. I actually blistered up and down my back.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I turn olive to almost dirty brown with the sun. Got sun poison when I visited FL with my dad. That was rough. I actually blistered up and down my back.

Worst I ever remember was when my feet got sunburned on Vacation in Montauk. Swelled up while out to dinner and I couldn't walk back to the Hotel.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

On the pier in Pensacola, between the mainland and the barrier island there, got myself absolutely cooked in 45 minutes in May. Not even the hot part of the summer yet, and not even the hotter part of Florida. Had blisters on my shoulders, part of my back, tops of my feet, was even burnt in the part of my hair. That night, nausea and chills, had myself wrapped up in a quilt because I was freezing. Made me sick as hell.

The Florida sun is dangerous to non-natives. The farther north you come from, and the farther south you go, the worse it is.

Rode back to Raleigh from Topsail Island (NC) once in my Triumph convertible, with the top down and me in a tank top and shorts, got scorched that time too. Upper arms and my legs just above my knees were blistered, burnt in the part of my hair that time, too.

I have some benign keratoses in various places on my back, stomach, and sides from being burnt so many times in the sun. It's a wonder there's been no melanoma so far, thank goodness.

My favorite comedian, Billy Connolly, is a Scotsman who describes his own skin color as "a pale shade of blue." Well, that's me, with some pink in my face. Never had a suntan in my life. I turn red and blister up, then I turn bluish-white and pink again.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They say the Sun is strong but actually it is the atmosphere and less Ozone layer. The sun is actually cooler than 50 years ago. As a kid we spent all day on the beach and never got Sunburned.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
They say the Sun is strong but actually it is the atmosphere and less Ozone layer. The sun is actually cooler than 50 years ago. As a kid we spent all day on the beach and never got Sunburned.

When I was a kid, 50-plus years ago, my mother's rule was NO BEACH OR SWIMMING POOL BETWEEN 10 AM AND 2 PM. This skin runs in my mother's family, and whether an NC location or a Florida location, we'd have been cooked if we ran around out there all day.

Central and South Florida emergency rooms stay busy in the hot part of the summer with people who have come south on vacation and have gotten themselves burnt so badly they get sick. There's a point somewhere in South Carolina where the strength of the sun starts to ramp up. You might be able to stay on the beach all day in New York, but if you try that in south Florida you'll have a problem, unless you're already olive complected.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was a kid, 50-plus years ago, my mother's rule was NO BEACH OR SWIMMING POOL BETWEEN 10 AM AND 2 PM. This skin runs in my mother's family, and whether an NC location or a Florida location, we'd have been cooked if we ran around out there all day.

Central and South Florida emergency rooms stay busy in the hot part of the summer with people who have come south on vacation and have gotten themselves burnt so badly they get sick. There's a point somewhere in South Carolina where the strength of the sun starts to ramp up. You might be able to stay on the beach all day in New York, but if you try that in south Florida you'll have a problem, unless you're already olive complected.

Yes, very true the closer to the Equator the more direct the sunlight is.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My favorite comedian, Billy Connolly, is a Scotsman who describes his own skin color as "a pale shade of blue." Well, that's me, with some pink in my face. Never had a suntan in my life. I turn red and blister up, then I turn bluish-white and pink again.

Billy is a good one. He, you and my wife all share the fair pale complexion. Always get a-feared when she says she's going out to do any outside work.

Got liver spots myself of all things. And I know my liver is alright. Drank, yes I did but not enough to make me fishy (liver go bad). Still the more reason I'm so moderate now in that, drinking.

Have said elsewhere I'm an alcoholic. That's not a pro diagnoses. Do know it from seeing it growing up. Also know I'm dis-positioned for it, ergo I say I am. That helps me stay moderate.

About the only real addictions I seem to have are staying busy, nicotine. Sometimes caffeine takes over but not so much so. Ah and I'm learning to watch out on sugar/chocolate.

I was out mowing lawns in Bunnell, FL when I got sun poison. That's North of Daytona by just a little jig. Sat in Flagler pier restaurant once and had over 11 pounds of shrimp. *chuckles* No wonder life pays me back with gout later.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always make sure my Chicken is cooked properly~!

View attachment 184206
You do absolutely the best food pics anywhere. I had friends over for dinner Friday night, and I tried a new salad on them but I forgot to take a pic. I used organic corn on the cob, rolled it around in butter under the broiler, salted, peppered, cut it off the cobs. Cooling releases a lot of corn juice, so I drained it to avoid making a soupy salad. Then drained a can of pineapple chunks (juice packed), added the chunks to the stripped kernels, then a squirt of lime and a few red pepper flakes. There is something about the combination of pineapple and butter that brings out extra sweetness in the pineapple.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits on his stool on the porch sporting his goatee "Jethro Gibbs" hair style, faced "greased" deep flat olive drab green, grins and enjoys his vape in silence* ... *speaks very lowly* "Mmhm, coffee sounds good."

ETA: Yep, coffee is good. Medicines taken. All froggy outside here too. No running the whir machine until later, if I do. And then maybe not given the heat/humidity indexing been going on.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, with fog set in here it is too.

Sun is peeking out right now but I needed my coffee because I forgot it is Garbage Day and had to run around dumping the cans. Hopefully I got it out before they picked up. Lately they have been coming later so I should be good or it sits outside in the can until Wednesday.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Very, very wet here. Had one little break where the rain turned to a light drizzle for about 20-30 minutes, but otherwise has been raining steady for a good part of the early morning. So much water on the poplar, maple, and sassafras trees that the limbs are really sagging.

Hubbs has gone to town to hit a couple of stores and then pick up our Walmart grocery order, in which I included his third hummingbird feeder. Apparently a hostile hummingbird has taken residence between the two feeders we already have up, and when any other birds come to feed, she runs them off. I say "she" because she's big for a hummingbird, and it kinda follows the norm for birds that the females are bigger. Not universally true, I'm sure, but often it is.

More's to the point, it is a miserable endeavor, bringing groceries into the house in the rain. When I made the appointment, I didn't check with the resident weather expert to see what the weather would be this morning. Shame on me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Apparently a hostile hummingbird has taken residence between the two feeders we already have up, and when any other birds come to feed, she runs them off.

I have been chasing Squirrels from my Bird Playground because they do damage. Yesterday there was a Black One eating the bread I give the birds and although he was cute I had to shoo him away.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Billy is a good one. He, you and my wife all share the fair pale complexion. Always get a-feared when she says she's going out to do any outside work.

Got liver spots myself of all things. And I know my liver is alright. Drank, yes I did but not enough to make me fishy (liver go bad). Still the more reason I'm so moderate now in that, drinking.

Have said elsewhere I'm an alcoholic. That's not a pro diagnoses. Do know it from seeing it growing up. Also know I'm dis-positioned for it, ergo I say I am. That helps me stay moderate.

About the only real addictions I seem to have are staying busy, nicotine. Sometimes caffeine takes over but not so much so. Ah and I'm learning to watch out on sugar/chocolate.

I was out mowing lawns in Bunnell, FL when I got sun poison. That's North of Daytona by just a little jig. Sat in Flagler pier restaurant once and had over 11 pounds of shrimp. *chuckles* No wonder life pays me back with gout later.

I think that if I still drank alcohol, I also would be an alcoholic. It's why I quit drinking when I did (nearly 30 years ago). There's also the fact that I'm a very laid back and go-with-the-flow drunk, so I can be talked into just about anything. In other words, I have no sense when I'm intoxicated. I'd be embarrassed as hell to admit some of the things I've done when I was drunk.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are all in my family, beginning with my bio dad, who was a terrible alcoholic, and I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in the house with him. My mother was a pill-popper like you wouldn't believe, spent most of the 1960s tranquilized (valium, I imagine), and then later tried to push her 'headache pills" on me every damn time I said I had a headache. Hers were narcotic, would have gotten me FIRED FROM MY DAMN JOB, and after I told her that about 25 times, I finally lost my temper and yelled it at her. After that she stopped asking. I don't know what she was taking at that time, but I know at one time her "headache pills" were methylqualone, in other words, Quaaludes, and I wouldn't touch those things with a ten-foot pole. Three aspirin or a BC powder are more my speed, and they'll do fine, thank you very much. Damn!

Because of all that, though, plus the drug issues my kids have had, I am obnoxious now about drinking, pill popping, and drugs. I don't have a feel for where "reasonable" lies, either for myself or for anyone around me (especially family) and it makes me quite uncomfortable to be around people who are obviously intoxicated. The unpredictability of an intoxicated person's behavior is what makes me nervous, I guess.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have been chasing Squirrels from my Bird Playground because they do damage. Yesterday there was a Black One eating the bread I give the birds and although he was cute I had to shoo him away.

I have only seen a black squirrel one time, a long time ago. Might even have been in Florida, I don't remember. But that's very unusual down here. Do you see them often?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have only seen a black squirrel one time, a long time ago. Might even have been in Florida, I don't remember. But that's very unusual down here. Do you see them often?

Yeah over the past couple of years I have seen more and more. He was cute but at my GF's the Squirrels started damaging the wood on the Awning attached to the garage. I had to install chicken wire on the beams to stop them from eating the wood. Those Squirrels were actually Defiant and would make noise at you from the trees or bushes when you chased them.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a pair of Skechers yesterday and I need to track my order~!
Here is a stock photo of my Sketchers, because when I photograph my real ones, every speck of dust shows. Not everybody is lucky enough to have sneakers with bows.

Skechers bows.jpg

But my real favorites, the ones I always have, plus a backup pair, are the old fashioned leather Keds.

Keds Champion Leather.JPG

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a pair of the Sketchers Work Relaxed Fit. I wrecked the pair I bought when Models Closed.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
tenor.gif

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think that if I still drank alcohol, I also would be an alcoholic. It's why I quit drinking when I did (nearly 30 years ago). There's also the fact that I'm a very laid back and go-with-the-flow drunk, so I can be talked into just about anything. In other words, I have no sense when I'm intoxicated. I'd be embarrassed as hell to admit some of the things I've done when I was drunk.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are all in my family, beginning with my bio dad, who was a terrible alcoholic, and I'm glad I didn't have to grow up in the house with him. My mother was a pill-popper like you wouldn't believe, spent most of the 1960s tranquilized (valium, I imagine), and then later tried to push her 'headache pills" on me every damn time I said I had a headache. Hers were narcotic, would have gotten me FIRED FROM MY DAMN JOB, and after I told her that about 25 times, I finally lost my temper and yelled it at her. After that she stopped asking. I don't know what she was taking at that time, but I know at one time her "headache pills" were methylqualone, in other words, Quaaludes, and I wouldn't touch those things with a ten-foot pole. Three aspirin or a BC powder are more my speed, and they'll do fine, thank you very much. Damn!

Because of all that, though, plus the drug issues my kids have had, I am obnoxious now about drinking, pill popping, and drugs. I don't have a feel for where "reasonable" lies, either for myself or for anyone around me (especially family) and it makes me quite uncomfortable to be around people who are obviously intoxicated. The unpredictability of an intoxicated person's behavior is what makes me nervous, I guess.
This is all so sad, with elements that apply to many lives. There are things I have never touched because I knew I couldn't afford the addiction. I enjoy a glass of good wine for the art of wine making and the magic of a good glass full. Everything else, I'll leave alone. Food is the worst challenge for me, when it comes to addictions.

It's great that you know yourself and your limitations so well. I could aim for that.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ran to Home Dipshits this morning for a few more bags of Mulch and Fungicide and Bug Killer for the lawns. Had a few Hard Seltzers and a couple of Glasses of red wine last night. Still was up early and getting shit done. Now to unload the truck~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I finished weeding all the Wild Violets and gave the mulch a freshening up. Cut a couple of branches off so bushes behind the shed and took a nice shower after scrubbing the bathtub and shower. Now off to the Market for some Burgers for dinner.

1626801706477.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I finished weeding all the Wild Violets and gave the mulch a freshening up. Cut a couple of branches off so bushes behind the shed and took a nice shower after scrubbing the bathtub and shower. Now off to the Market for some Burgers for dinner.

View attachment 184454
I took my little pruners out and cut down some of the neighbor's bamboo that's taking over our driveway. What my landlady's yard crew can't do with a mower or blower, they'll never even look at. Then I had to stuff my cuttings back into the neighbor's grove, because I don't want it to take root and grow in my yard. It's a beautiful tall hedge all the way up the sky, ever green, but it wants to eat the neighborhood.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I took my little pruners out and cut down some of the neighbor's bamboo that's taking over our driveway. What my landlady's yard crew can't do with a mower or blower, they'll never even look at. Then I had to stuff my cuttings back into the neighbor's grove, because I don't want it to take root and grow in my yard. It's a beautiful tall hedge all the way up the sky, ever green, but it wants to eat the neighborhood.

Bamboo is Invasive and will destroy foundations and Cement driveways. If I had a neighbor with that. there would be a fire of unknown origin.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bamboo is Invasive and will destroy foundations and Cement driveways. If I had a neighbor with that. there would be a fire of unknown origin.
It is. We had issues here at our place with a vine plant from the house next door, dont know what type it was, that kept putting roots into our sewerage pipe and blocking it. As Murphy's Law goes blocking it on long weekends and holidays. No need to say the problems that was to us waiting till the sewerage guys got back to work. Finally after around 9 yrs of it and the owner which is good to us complaining to them about it costing hundreds to keep clearing the roots out the neighbors removed the vine and killed the root system. Has been all good since. Oh man what a pain it was waiting for days to a week not able to flush the toilet.
I have heard of the issues with bamboo too. Mongrel stuff both of them.

Sent from my LM-X430 using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
These are a real p.i.t.a.. Me & wife's granddad tried salting roots, using something akin agent orange on them. They kept coming back year after year & still likely do to a degree. We had to surrender as we realized it was a no win battle. Their thorns make them a real "lovely" plant to "deal" with.

Thinking the "last run" at them we may have torn out the biggest part of the root network. Yes, we actually used a tractor and hitched up to pull root out of the ground. Will tell you what. Wut. Those cursed things can just curl up and die.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So checking the Garden this morning I see one of the Cucumber Plants got so big it was over the top rope. I added an additional piece of pipe and ran a rope so it can climb.

1626873866668.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
These are a real p.i.t.a.. Me & wife's granddad tried salting roots, using something akin agent orange on them. They kept coming back year after year & still likely do to a degree. We had to surrender as we realized it was a no win battle. Their thorns make them a real "lovely" plant to "deal" with.

Thinking the "last run" at them we may have torn out the biggest part of the root network. Yes, we actually used a tractor and hitched up to pull root out of the ground. Will tell you what. Wut. Those cursed things can just curl up and die.

Get yourselves a pair of goats. Voila! No more whatever-that-is, no more kudzu, no more bark on trees, no more dead leaves, no more cardboard boxes, no more letters on cars, ad infinitum....and very little grass mowing. lol

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I saw the Black Squirrel before but the Birds were chasing him in Swarms~! One big bird not sure what breed was after his ass and he jumped off the wires into a bush which they were landing all over it. I was laughing my ass off watching the show. I guess the birds saw me chasing the squirrels.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is. We had issues here at our place with a vine plant from the house next door, dont know what type it was, that kept putting roots into our sewerage pipe and blocking it. As Murphy's Law goes blocking it on long weekends and holidays. No need to say the problems that was to us waiting till the sewerage guys got back to work. Finally after around 9 yrs of it and the owner which is good to us complaining to them about it costing hundreds to keep clearing the roots out the neighbors removed the vine and killed the root system. Has been all good since. Oh man what a pain it was waiting for days to a week not able to flush the toilet.
I have heard of the issues with bamboo too. Mongrel stuff both of them.

Sent from my LM-X430 using Tapatalk
If only I ruled the world.

My landlady got rid of our green recycling bin. We have walkers and joggers all day on my street, and they will put their soda cans and styrofoam coffee cups in the green bins when they pass by. All of us were getting notices from the city about fines for having these things in the green bin, with accompanying photos of the offending items. I always gave them hell. I would write the letter and spend the stamp, saying this was not my soda can, that we have eight apartments in this building, and giving them the landlady's name (but not her phone number or her address) for further contact. This is the cost of bureaucracy. I would always get a letter of apology from the city. Finally the landlady told the city to haul away their f*cking green bin and leave us alone. So now we have no place to put cuttings. As I described, I shoved the cut bamboo back into the neighbor's hedge. That tall bamboo grove has always been there, and I believe the woman who lives there is too elderly to care or think about it anymore, so it is now dangerous to its concrete holder, her cobblestone front yard and our driveway. Her yardtard averts his eyes from it too, because it can't be handled with his leafblower, but the same bamboo forest is on two or three other properties on this block. We have the invasive English ivy as lawn cover at my building, but it climbs up our live oak trees. I go out, pull it off the trees and keep it cut down to the ground. We had a soft, charming fig leaf ivy climbing the front of our brown rock facade, keeping the building sheltered from summer heat, looking beautiful and green. So the landlady ignores the bamboo invasion, ignores the English ivy on the trees, and has the beautiful, harmless fig leaf vine cut down.

This is why I need to rule the world, or at least my neighborhood.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We had a soft, charming fig leaf ivy climbing the front of our brown rock facade, keeping the building sheltered from summer heat, looking beautiful and green. So the landlady ignores the bamboo invasion, ignores the English ivy on the trees, and has the beautiful, harmless fig leaf vine cut down.

Ivy tends to destroy the Mortar it clings to from my experience. We had a type of Ivy like that growing on the side of the house which I cut down because in just a few months it was crawling under the siding on the second floor~! Had some type of ivy growing on the Neighbors Vinyl Fence and after I removed it the stickers are still on the Vinyl~!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ivy tends to destroy the Mortar it clings to from my experience. We had a type of Ivy like that growing on the side of the house which I cut down because in just a few months it was crawling under the siding on the second floor~! Had some type of ivy growing on the Neighbors Vinyl Fence and after I removed it the stickers are still on the Vinyl~!
There are many kinds of destructive ivy that will damage walls, break up sidewalks and driveways, kill trees. The fig ivy I'm speaking of was all over the front of the building for the first ten years I lived here. The previous owner understood it and liked it. He had it trimmed off the windows occasionally. The new landlady had it all removed when she took over, and there were absolutely zero signs of damage to the stone wall, the window woodwork or the window screens. It's non-invasive and beautiful, ficus pumila, drought resistant, evergreen, soft vines. It works beautifully here in south Texas.

It's just irony to me, that the landlady will ignore the bamboo, ignore the invasive English ivy, and cut down the beautiful harmless creeper.

VU Sponsors