nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
He is getting a full dental, hopefully he'll keep his k9 teeth, neutered, shots and shave.

In a few days he'll feel like a different guy.

My orange tabby/part Maine Co.on was the best cat I ever had. He lived to be 19 years old (I had him and his sister since they were 5), and it's been about 6 or 7 years since he died. I've missed him every day.

His sister got gone once for about four days, and I had all but given up on her, but one night I thought, I'll try just one more time. It was about 9 pm and I was in the back yard calling her when she took just a couple of steps out of the woods to where I could see her. When I got to her I realized there was something bad wrong with one of her eyes, so we came in and got the vet on her emergency line, and by 9:40 we were all at the vet's office. Deebs ended up staying for two nights at the vet's; she had an abscess behind one of her eyes that the vet said probably came from getting poked in the roof of her mouth with a bone or a stick or something. That break in the skin allowed germs to get up in there where they had no business being. They kept her on IV antibiotics for a good bit of the time she was with them, as well as fluids, and it wasn't long until she was her old self again. But having those things happen, dang that is scary, and it just tugs at your heart because they can't do anything to help themselves.

Thank goodness you found him when you did. I hope he bounces back soon - and I know he'll feel better just being cared for.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My orange tabby/part Maine Co.on was the best cat I ever had. He lived to be 19 years old (I had him and his sister since they were 5), and it's been about 6 or 7 years since he died. I've missed him every day.

His sister got gone once for about four days, and I had all but given up on her, but one night I thought, I'll try just one more time. It was about 9 pm and I was in the back yard calling her when she took just a couple of steps out of the woods to where I could see her. When I got to her I realized there was something bad wrong with one of her eyes, so we came in and got the vet on her emergency line, and by 9:40 we were all at the vet's office. Deebs ended up staying for two nights at the vet's; she had an abscess behind one of her eyes that the vet said probably came from getting poked in the roof of her mouth with a bone or a stick or something. That break in the skin allowed germs to get up in there where they had no business being. They kept her on IV antibiotics for a good bit of the time she was with them, as well as fluids, and it wasn't long until she was her old self again. But having those things happen, dang that is scary, and it just tugs at your heart because they can't do anything to help themselves.

Thank goodness you found him when you did. I hope he bounces back soon - and I know he'll feel better just being cared for.
We have been watching him for a bit. We could see his issues but the hard food and water I leave out for ferals but he would not let me near or wasn't here when I was out.

He is the one that came to me for help. I have been talking to him for a few years, enough he knows his name, gave him.

So we had to take Tony in and now Silky. Here is Tony after his healing. He lost most vision from his left eye but developed the best loud voice. He is always attached to me.
20220729_094802.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We have been watching him for a bit. We could see his issues but the hard food and water I leave out for ferals but he would not let me near or wasn't here when I was out.

He is the one that came to me for help. I have been talking to him for a few years, enough he knows his name, gave him.

So we had to take Tony in and now Silky. Here is Tony after his healing. He lost most vision from his left eye but developed the best loud voice. He is always attached to me.
View attachment 196444

He looks like a real cuddle-bug!

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So Silky is doing great. He ate his normal half can of food this morning. His face looks different but I think that's from removing teeth and swelling going down. Here is a security cam pic. It's all I can get with his full body. He is so loving. I went in and rubbed his head and stopped but he loved his brown cubed to let me know I wasn't done.

On a side note, he stretched his front legs and opened his claws. He will be a big boy, again, one day. He is one long legged big footed guy.
Screenshot_20220830-075830_Blink.jpg

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
but he loved his brown cubed to let me know I wasn't done.
I know I'm old, and sometimes not up with all the new slang, but the English language seems to be changing faster than I can keep up. What in THEE heck does that mean? Were you using voice-to-text? There's a lady on another forum I belong to that uses a voice to text thing and I can never understand ANY of what she writes. I finally gave up. Evidently she has an accent that the computer can't decipher, LOL!

Anyway, I would love to know what loving his brown cubed means, PLEASE. :)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know I'm old, and sometimes not up with all the new slang, but the English language seems to be changing faster than I can keep up. What in THEE heck does that mean? Were you using voice-to-text? There's a lady on another forum I belong to that uses a voice to text thing and I can never understand ANY of what she writes. I finally gave up. Evidently she has an accent that the computer can't decipher, LOL!

Anyway, I would love to know what loving his brown cubed means, PLEASE. :)
He is in a brown cube and rubs his face on it when I go to the garage. Here he is in his full skinny glory laying in front of the litter box. The brown cube is in front of him. He lays inside. Screenshot_20220830-075830_Blink.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Brushed Milly with the DollarTree glove...makes her feel better getting that fur off of her in this heat. 😻

View attachment 196514

All the pricey brushes and stuff I own for her, THAT glove, she allows and even likes...SMH... 🤷‍♂️

We girls are picky 'bout our hairbrushes, dude. :teehee:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He is in a brown cube and rubs his face on it when I go to the garage. Here he is in his full skinny glory laying in front of the litter box. The brown cube is in front of him. He lays inside. View attachment 196511

OH! LOL! A brown cube never even entered my mind! I get it! Sorry. :) I'm so used to trying to decipher auto-correct and bad voice-to-text posts, I just assumed it was something else.

Poor nekkid kitty. I bet he feels much better now, though, huh?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OH! LOL! A brown cube never even entered my mind! I get it! Sorry. :) I'm so used to trying to decipher auto-correct and bad voice-to-text posts, I just assumed it was something else.

Poor nekkid kitty. I bet he feels much better now, though, huh?
Oh he feels great, marked by his running to the hard food he shouldn't eat. He is now finishing his second can of friskies.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Silky has gone to eating a lot to not eating this morning. Hopefully, all the food just caught up with him. I have seen him eat litter but Sam did that, too, and the vet could see it on the Xray. He had no issues. He can start getting crunchy food at day 8 but I think I may start tomorrow night. That is basically 12 hours short of 7 days.

He is still drooling but not to the same extent. I know his mouth has some time for full healing.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Silky has gone to eating a lot to not eating this morning. Hopefully, all the food just caught up with him. I have seen him eat litter but Sam did that, too, and the vet could see it on the Xray. He had no issues. He can start getting crunchy food at day 8 but I think I may start tomorrow night. That is basically 12 hours short of 7 days.

He is still drooling but not to the same extent. I know his mouth has some time for full healing.

Would his "kibble" softened with a little bit of milk be a good interim step?

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
6e2bcb377253b09b8f0d3b641660e31d.jpg

Cali has been inside for a month and two days. She's tolerating being inside, but misses being outside. We think she's better off inside, she may not be thinking the same way we are thinking.
Cali, Tangee, Tiggie (gray-black), Duke and Emma are learning to live with one another....it hasn't been easy, lol. However, there's been a lot smiles and laughter !
4fede9f3a1472837dbcc8406fafe31d9.jpg

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have 15 cats I can bring over?

Uh, not just no but HELL NO! Rich has it right - he'd be living in the garage with all those extra cats and prolly a few that are in the house now. They make me c-c-c-crrrrazy!

Well, we have 19 and trying not to hit 20.

When you have that many, one more really makes no difference. That's how we ended up with 21. I put my foot down at 20, but little Goose was sooo cute, and really, what's the difference between 20 and 21, right? sigh... The thought that makes me shake in my booties is that 22 is no worse than 21. And 23 is no worse than 22. Et cetera. I hope we don't end up with another one. I'm a dog person, I don't want to end up a Krazy Kat Lady. It's just not right! ;)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Silky is healing nicely. His drooling is subsiding. I wipe his face, body and paws several times per day. At first, he didn't like his paws touched but he doesn't mind, now.

We keep hard food in his cage and there would always be hard food in the water. This morning there was no hard food in the water.

We let him out of the cage after he eats. There were five other cats with him and no issues. There was no hissing,growling , nothing. He is so laid back.

His fur is growing back. He is getting dark orange stripes on his face.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Milly's plotting for the morning

Step 1: Stand by litter box merrrowing that something must be done immediately about it
Step 2: I get up to go to sift it.
Step 3: Warm seat on couch is now hers.
Winning....

View attachment 196897

Your Milly is no slouch. She knows what she's doing!

Yon hooman needs a better attitude. The things she puts up with.....ACK!!!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Many years ago, one of our neighbors insisted we take a tiny black barn kitten home, because (and they didn't say this right out) it was "evil" because it was black. And it only had a stump for one hind leg. Birth defect, but two strikes against this adorable little creature. So we took him home and he was a little love bug. He had no idea he was crippled, and got along just fine.

Now, we have another barn kitty, named Ewok (that's what she looked like when she was a baby) that's jet black and has the most gorgeous emerald green eyes... She is BEAUTIFUL. She was such a gangly, awkward baby, but turned into a beautiful, long haired adult with the most amazing eyes. I'll try to get a picture of her one of these days, but it's hard because she's SO black. It's hard to see much except her silhouette.

I consider both of them to be bearers of love and good luck. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Many years ago, one of our neighbors insisted we take a tiny black barn kitten home, because (and they didn't say this right out) it was "evil" because it was black. And it only had a stump for one hind leg. Birth defect, but two strikes against this adorable little creature. So we took him home and he was a little love bug. He had no idea he was crippled, and got along just fine.

Now, we have another barn kitty, named Ewok (that's what she looked like when she was a baby) that's jet black and has the most gorgeous emerald green eyes... She is BEAUTIFUL. She was such a gangly, awkward baby, but turned into a beautiful, long haired adult with the most amazing eyes. I'll try to get a picture of her one of these days, but it's hard because she's SO black. It's hard to see much except her silhouette.

I consider both of them to be bearers of love and good luck. :)

I have read that black kitties in shelters are often the last ones to be adopted, more than likely because so many people are superstitious about them. It's a real shame, and certainly not an individual kitty's fault he/she was born black. But then again, kitties in shelters are tragic anyway. I can keep going, beyond that, and say that it seems tragic to me to see any animal confined the way they are in shelters. I'm sure some shelters do the best they can with the resources they have, and some don't.

Good on you all for taking in little Ewok and the other disadvantaged kitty.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good on you all for taking in little Ewok and the other disadvantaged kitty
We take in any kitten who has been abandoned or is sick and needs our help. That's why there are 21 cats in our house. :)

it was "evil" because it was black
Anyway, in case you folks haven't listened to the TV news lately, black is good, black is beautiful, black is better than anyone... it seems that white is the evil now. :)

(runs and hides from those who want to throw something at me)

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We took Silky back to the vet for his two week check. Found out he did have stomatitis and only has his four k9 teeth remaining. I also found out it was so bad his throat was swollen as was the back of his mouth. They almost could not insert the breathing tube.

His right side is good but the left and upper and rear left is still swollen and is red in spots. He's a real trooper. Vet said he still has some good healing to do. He is only drooling on that side of his mouth now, and very little.

His personality is coming out. He is so sweet and talkative but you have to listen because he is very quiet. When the vet walked in he said what a sweet cat. He really is. He is 8.8 pounds. He's our big skelotor but the amount he is eating will put some weight on him. I'm hoping a good 16 pounds final weight.

Sorry for the long post.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ATM, I have no dresser, desk or bed in the bedroom anymore...Milly is *NOT* happy about this.

But, where there's a will (and a kitty capable of trying to make the risky jump to the windowsill from the floor or the headboard), there's a way. With a little rearranging of my stuff... ;)😼

3VInGdcl.jpg

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Silky is looking really good. He still needs to gain a bunch of weight but here is an updated pick. We still feed him soft food on his cage because he will eat everyone's. He is out of the cage all the time now and he is no longer drooling or holding his tongue out.

His hair is so soft.

20220921_113713.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly did a silly thing last night...

20220920_203904~2.jpg

She'd been used to going straight up the side of this 7' tall storage unit I have...risky, but she had it down. However, she forgot one little thing this time: her cat tree had been moved and she had nowhere to jump off to...oops. 🙀

I managed to drag the dang thing back to where it originally had been so she could get down...about 45sec after this pic was taken she jumped down to the cat tree and was fine....SMH!!!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Silky is looking really good. He still needs to gain a bunch of weight but here is an updated pick. We still feed him soft food on his cage because he will eat everyone's. He is out of the cage all the time now and he is no longer drooling or holding his tongue out.

His hair is so soft.

View attachment 197421
SO glad he's doing better!!! Soft food is better anyways, IMO. :D

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

His hair is so soft.

View attachment 197421

He seems to be filling out really well, from what I can see. So good to see that. <3

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He seems to be filling out really well, from what I can see. So good to see that. <3
Yeah, he's still bony that you can feel his ribs but he is filling in. He will be a big boy.

My Samson bites other cats that go in the garage with him, except Silky. When he walks up to Silky his head is down. Looks I have a new alpha male to replace my sweet Sam the Siamese I lost.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got her some of these at WinCo on a whim, turns out she loooves like a 1/2 tsp of them for a topper/treat.

For her B-day treat I minced up chicken hearts, this stuff, and put in her regular meat food...she gobbled it up.

3441451-right-1.png

https://www.amazon.com/INABA-Grain-Free-Shredded-Complement-Servings/dp/B08CG4YFMS?th=1

Sadly, my Petco a couple blocks away doesn't stock them.
So, I'll have to wait until I get a ride back to WinCo. Like $1.60 a twin-pack over there. 😼

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I got her some of these at WinCo on a whim, turns out she loooves like a 1/2 tsp of them for a topper/treat.

For her B-day treat I minced up chicken hearts, this stuff, and put in her regular meat food...she gobbled it up.

View attachment 197464

https://www.amazon.com/INABA-Grain-Free-Shredded-Complement-Servings/dp/B08CG4YFMS?th=1

Sadly, my Petco a couple blocks away doesn't stock them.
So, I'll have to wait until I get a ride back to WinCo. Like $1.60 a twin-pack over there. 😼

We just started ordering something similar off Amazon. Our cat is getting old, and I think the dry food he normally eats is giving him some difficulty.

Don't know how you feel about Amazon, but you might want to consider. They have several different kinds "in gravy" and our cat acts like it's the best stuff he's ever tasted.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We just started ordering something similar off Amazon. Our cat is getting old, and I think the dry food he normally eats is giving him some difficulty.

Don't know how you feel about Amazon, but you might want to consider. They have several different kinds "in gravy" and our cat acts like it's the best stuff he's ever tasted.

Yeah, I love AMZ and can get that at Petco a block away..but the 3rd ingredient is wheat gluten...cats can't digest that. It's just filler, basically. After all..Purina is a grain/feed company...although IIRC...one of the fancy feast line IS grain-free...or was.

Check out catinfo.org All you need to know about cat foods.

No grains in the Inaba stuff. :)

VU Sponsors