Become a Patron!

We love cats

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of cat and text that says 'A DOG SABLE TO LEARN UPTO250 WORDAN GESTURES. A DOG CAN COUNT UP TO FIVE AND CAN PERFORM PERF SIMPLE PLE MATH. EQUIVALENT HUMAN AGE 3 A CAT DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK, wa AND IS SICK OF YOUR SHIT. EQUIVALENT HUMAN AGE: 42'

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I did it. I told my boss I need to go pool and that I can't handle full time any longer. There are some side stories with others not pulling their weight and the lab assistants calling off, constantly. Basically, there are two that do more than basic work, a night shifter and me. She begged me not to it. Not pulling my own chain here.

My wife has wanted me to quit for months because she says it's affecting my health. I can feel my chest when I work. BTW, I work in a hospital lab and there is only one lab tech with four emergency room doctors starting at 1500. Covid is the straw.

We have another kitten we want to take in, that will make 16 indoor. We feel we should take her.
I do have retirement so I have income and our debt status is good but you know changes.

Sorry for the long rant but I needed to post somewhere.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I need, well Lil' Cali, needs help. Yesterday, was out on the porch giving her food, noticed drops of something on the porch. Went to clean it up, it was blood with two different kind of worms. She was eating two days ago and yesterday nothing.
Last month, as a precaution, didn't see any stools, gave her some dewormer. Thought, she probably had fleas and she would need dewormed.
Now, she's not eating and don't know how to give her the dewormer medicine.
She's never been held and I know how cats are trying to give them medicine in the mouth. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try and give it to her. Anyone with suggestions?
Also, those who've dealt with /have feral cats; how do you get rid of fleas on them?

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I tried to give her medicine by wrapping her in a heavy blanket, lol, yeah, that went really smoothly :rolleyes: :teehee: had eye protection on, leather thick gloves, a pair of thick sweat pants, a sweat shirt and regular shirt on. Glad I had everything on ! Her claws were out and she was not happy. Needless to say...it didn't work out, lol.
Fortunately...
Caught a break. I went ahead and made up some food, use hard food and some can food, mixed in the liquid medicine. She ate it all ! Though, it wasn't much...didn't want to waste too much in-case she wouldn't eat.
The unfortunate thing is... the medicine only treats one type of worms. So, my Guy is going to buy some other which does treat three or four types of worms.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
those who've dealt with /have feral cats; how do you get rid of fleas on them?
Well, Woofie, this might be as hard to swallow as your worming attempt, :rolleyes: but our cats, both domestic (now 21 in the house) and feral, typically do not have fleas. It must be something about where we live, but one of the dogs had fleas, so one would think the cats should not be immune. There is, however, some spray on herbal stuff (forgot what it is called - maybe Wifey can shake my brain) that did pretty well on our new Akbash puppy (she brought the fleas with her from her birth ranch). One of our cows beat the heck outta me today, so as soon as my head stops spinning, maybe I'll be able to tell ya what that stuff is called.

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, Woofie, this might be as hard to swallow as your worming attempt, :rolleyes: but our cats, both domestic (now 21 in the house) and feral, typically do not have fleas. It must be something about where we live, but one of the dogs had fleas, so one would think the cats should not be immune. There is, however, some spray on herbal stuff (forgot what it is called - maybe Wifey can shake my brain) that did pretty well on our new Akbash puppy (he brought the fleas with him from his birth ranch). One of our cows beat the heck outta me today, so as soon as my head stops spinning, maybe I'll be able to tell ya what that stuff is called.

Hi Draco! Hope you're feeling better from the cows beating you up and hope Wifey is doing well. :hug:

Thanks. If you don't recall what it's called, that's OK... My brain takes breaks, too. :teehee:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried to give her medicine by wrapping her in a heavy blanket, lol, yeah, that went really smoothly :rolleyes: :teehee: had eye protection on, leather thick gloves, a pair of thick sweat pants, a sweat shirt and regular shirt on. Glad I had everything on ! Her claws were out and she was not happy. Needless to say...it didn't work out, lol.
Fortunately...
Caught a break. I went ahead and made up some food, use hard food and some can food, mixed in the liquid medicine. She ate it all ! Though, it wasn't much...didn't want to waste too much in-case she wouldn't eat.
The unfortunate thing is... the medicine only treats one type of worms. So, my Guy is going to buy some other which does treat three or four types of worms.

How is she doing? I was surprised not to see answers from other cat people, but I didn't know what to suggest either.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How is she doing? I was surprised not to see answers from other cat people, but I didn't know what to suggest either.
Thank you for asking!

Unfortunately, she still has worms. Found a good dewormer called Drontal... Says it works on tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms, and has good reviews.
Still have to purchase some, but wanted to wait anyway for the two weeks to pass, don't won't to give her too much medicine.
Started her on Pumpkin seed powder. It's starting to work on her coat, feeling softer and looking healthier, shiny. I mix it up in her food. Don't know if she tastes it or not, but she gobbles down her food.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you for asking!

Unfortunately, she still has worms. Found a good dewormer called Drontal... Says it works on tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms, and has good reviews.
Still have to purchase some, but wanted to wait anyway for the two weeks to pass, don't won't to give her too much medicine.
Started her on Pumpkin seed powder. It's starting to work on her coat, feeling softer and looking healthier, shiny. I mix it up in her food. Don't know if she tastes it or not, but she gobbles down her food.

We used that brand with our dogs, our vet recommended it.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We used that brand with our dogs, our vet recommended it.
Thank you for letting me know that we made the right choice with the medicine. However, where I was going to buy it, they are out of stock. The place would sell by the tablet. Haven't been able to find another place that will sell it that way.
Found some herbal medicine that looks good...has good reviews, but the bad reviews, well, were really bad. A few people said some of the herbs used could potentially be harmful, make the kitty sick or even die. Haven't researched each individual herb, yet.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you for letting me know that we made the right choice with the medicine. However, where I was going to buy it, they are out of stock. The place would sell by the tablet. Haven't been able to find another place that will sell it that way.
Found some herbal medicine that looks good...has good reviews, but the bad reviews, well, were really bad. A few people said some of the herbs used could potentially be harmful, make the kitty sick or even die. Haven't researched each individual herb, yet.

Yeah thats how we used to buy them too.
You do have to be careful with some. Don't know if you have Exelpet brand there, avoid that as its got a bad reputation here. I dont know any other reputable brand though.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm posting this here in case it will help anybody else. Whether or not this will work, time will tell.

I live in a very green neighborhood, for which I am grateful. It soothes my soul to see the great tumble of leafy trees with thick shady branches, flowering in season, lush landscapes, tall hedges, all of the urban wildlife inhabiting the green world, the squirrels, birds, butterflies, ladybugs and bees. Some say we have raccoons around here too, but I've never seen one. I used to see possums all the time but I haven't seen one in a few years. I used to smell a skunk now and then, and in 2015 our handyman told me to, quick, come outside and look at something. When I learned he was leading me to a family of baby skunks under the building, I went back inside. Didn't want to risk the revenge of an upset mama skunk.

And then the cats. The explosion of our stray cat population is probably why I don't see possums or smell skunks anymore. Every spring we have adorable kittens at my building. Everybody gives them treats and leftovers, but one lady makes sure they have food and water every day. Currently we have eight strays, well fed but always hungry, and as cats have the biological imperative to do, they terrorize the birds and squirrels anyway. The same lady who feeds them, paid out of her own pocket to have five of the eight "fixed".

An aside is that we have big ugly roaches in this neighborhood. I never had them in my own apartment, because I don't leave food out, until 2017 when we had a three day hard rain, and suddenly I had a roach invasion. I got rid of them by putting down boric acid, and haven't been troubled since then, but you see them outdoors any time. Yuck.

One year I had a mouse, but only that one time. My landlady had a professional service come and do whatever mouse controllers do, to the whole building, and I haven't had that particular problem again, besides which, I'm sure the cats have everything to do with the disappearance of mice.

The third current is the destruction of the garden outside my front windows, a long planting bed which, after the "stormageddon" of February 2021, was left full of big dead brown plants. The sago palms on the other side of the walk survived, but the garden in front of my windows was mostly dead. I removed the dead plants, down to the one plant still thriving, which was a nandina that started as a volunteer, and was still lush and green, with winter berries on it. Since the one volunteer was doing so well, I planted a few more nandina spaced apart. From June 2021 until now, they have remained the same size, small starters, but they still looked healthy and green, until they started looking sad, with spots that were not typical of their coloring, showing obvious distress. One day I noticed the soil was scratched away from them in piles, leaving the plant bases exposed. With my hand I started to sweep the soil back toward the plants, and that was when I noticed it. Cat turds. Tons and tons of cat crap all throughout the garden. It will be the cats' preferred toilet area, since they don't like to be around sago palms. I don't understand why they don't use the huge tall bamboo grove next to the driveway, but you can't discuss these things with cats.

It's up to me to take care it. The landlady is oblivious to garden issues. So I researched online what to do. I didn't want to use poisons. I'm trying what I hope are some good discoveries. Orange peels repel cats. They don't like the smell. Also you can leave oranges out indoors without attracting pests. Roaches and ants don't like them either. Wow. I already knew you could leave out garlic. It repels roaches. It turns out, garlic repels cats too. Coffee grounds in the garden also apparently repel cats and roaches.

So I'm eating a lot of oranges now. I chop the peels and spread them out on the soil. It's going to take some time to really fill the soil with enough peel to make a lasting difference, but I keep at it. I also put down tons of raw garlic. I just break up the bulbs, don't peel them, just throw down the cloves. Some will probably take root and send up garlic plants, which is fine with me. I'm throwing down my daily coffee grounds. Finally, cayenne powder, sprinkled liberally over the soil and the plants, works for a while, but animals adjust to it and eventually it will stop deterring them, so I sprinkled out two 4 oz. jars, and will probably repeat the cayenne only once per quarter, to keep that tolerance from developing. I also read you can stick skewers in the soil, and the cats won't take a chance on getting their feet poked. The bamboo skewers are pretty cheap, 100 of them for a a buck at the dollar store, so I spent a morning sticking 200 skewers in the soil.

Fingers crossed.
Cat deterrents.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Study Finds Pets May Share Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria With Owners

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly and I are still good, she's a terror. But a good companion.
Turns 4yo in Sept. She likes her feet held... weirdo kitteh...😻

Attachments

• 20220723_174633~2.jpg
    20220723_174633~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220731_104315~2.jpg
    20220731_104315~2.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220709_205010~3.jpg
    20220709_205010~3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your beast looks a lot like our Boo. I don't think I have a good picture of Boo... I'll have to check. Meanwhile, here's some kitties that don't need no stinkin' peeples - they has each other. :) That's our sweet girl, Muffin (the gray tortie) and one of her "brothers," Nugget.

08-01-22 Muffin and Nugget 01.jpg

08-01-22 Muffin and Nugget 02.jpg

This is the only picture I have of Boo that I can find right now. Can't see her face 'cause she's lovin' on her daddy, but what a little snuggle-bug she is. She loves to press her face into Rich's beard, LOL! He's nice and furry, like she is.
07-24-22 Rich and Boo.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That is just adorable...

Yeah..Milly likes to press/rub her face all over me too. Big on the headbutts too...lol! 😼

Likes to wake me up by putting her face nearly touching mine and yelling really loud....if that don't work she'll thwack me on the head until I get the message...😾

Milly's considered to be a Black Torti. I had a full Tortoiseshell back in the 90s which was an amazing cat...raised her from an un-weaned baby. I don't have any pics of her either...

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Caught Silky, finally, but he's in rough shape. He is a mainecoon, I think. He has horribly matted hair and his mouth is in bad bad shape. He drips mucous. I hope he doesn't have FELV. He has also lost a lot of weight.
Wow, so sorry to hear he's in bad shape. Definitely isolate from other animals and kids until you see a vet ASAP.

Be careful about the mouth. It could be just injury or if it's the same pernicious mouth sores my Tiki had...well... :(

Mouth issues info link: https://northgatevet.com/cat-mouth-sores-home-remedy/

And, if the Vet wants to give you prescription meds for it, don't pay their inflated costs. Go to Allivet once you get a prescription. They have been around since 1992 and are verrry good. I got 2-3day shipping from 3,000mi away and for pennies a pill...Vets markup everything to make a profit, just like human docs.

Tiki's bottle of thyroid pills from the vet: $40 a bottle. Same exact meds from Allivet: $9

https://www.allivet.com/

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow, so sorry to hear he's in bad shape. Definitely isolate from other animals and kids until you see a vet ASAP.

Be careful about the mouth. It could be just injury or if it's the same pernicious mouth sores my Tiki had...well... :(

And, if the Vet wants to give you prescription meds for it, don't pay their inflated costs. Go to Allivet once you get a prescription. They have been around since 1992 and are verrry good. I got 2-3day shipping from 3,000mi away and for pennies a pill...Vets markup everything to make a profit, just like human docs.

Tiki's bottle of thyroid pills from the vet: $40 a bottle. Same exact meds from Allivet: $9

I'm at the vet now. Long morning

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Technically he's feral, although I pushed him in the cage. Giving him meds may not be easy but he is very easy for me to manipulate and pet and scratch.16617909492468300465903918560556.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Technically he's feral, although I pushed him in the cage. Giving him meds may not be easy but he is very easy for me to manipulate and pet and scratch.View attachment 196432

Bless his heart, I hope the vet can help him. Please give us an update when you can. Poor baby.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Technically he's feral, although I pushed him in the cage. Giving him meds may not be easy but he is very easy for me to manipulate and pet and scratch.View attachment 196432
He looks a lot like the huge cats my folks pulled out of their friend's house after he went into a care facility. He was a hoarder...and two cats one 15lbs the other around 18lbs. Took days to get them....i'm the only one that they would let near them after they were caught. Poor things.

Looks like he needs an IV...mouth probably kept from eating ...hopefully nothing bad under the matted fur. Sending good thought...and merrows...

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He looks a lot like the huge cats my folks pulled out of their friend's house after he went into a care facility. He was a hoarder...and two cats one 15lbs the other around 18lbs. Took days to get them....i'm the only one that they would let near them after they were caught. Poor things.

Looks like he needs an IV...mouth probably kept from eating ...hopefully nothing bad under the matted fur. Sending good thought...and merrows...
He is felv negative and doesn't have stomatitis. He has really bad dental disease with root bare broken molars and several tooth already fallen out.

He was very docile. We pulled him from the cage and he just enjoyed the attention. I'm sure 3 years ago he was 15 pounds.

You are right he can't eat and lost everything. His skin looks good under fur. Knots were just falling off as I was petting and rubbing him. He is a really good cat.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He is felv negative and doesn't have stomatitis. He has really bad dental disease with root bare broken molars and several tooth already fallen out.

He was very docile. We pulled him from the cage and he just enjoyed the attention. I'm sure 3 years ago he was 15 pounds.

You are right he can't eat and lost everything. His skin looks good under fur. Knots were just falling off as I was petting and rubbing him. He is a really good cat.

Great news! :yes:

VU Sponsors