Become a Patron!
hey all this is actually my first post here and i know some basic knowledge about vaping. getting my first mod soon (kanger subox mini) and i some about coils. like nichrome heats up alittle faster than kenthal. but heres what really confuses me. everyone who vapes of course wants the best clouds and best flavor. what are macro and micro coils. why are people using 2 ohm builds if they produce little vapor or flavor. whats the point of dual coils if some produce like no vapor at all? its so confusing to me just need some help, i hope i made sense.

thanks

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm...

Macro coils generally have a diameter over 2mm-2.5mm. People typically use them for high-powered vapes and hotter coils because the wicking demands are very high and it is beneficial to be able to have more juice running to the coil at any given time. For instance, if I want to run a .2 dual 22g at 100w, then I'm gonna make the diameter a minimum of 3mm because if I don't, those coils are going to go through juice so quickly that I will get dry hits.

Micro coils, which are generally 2mm or smaller, work better for cooler or even warm coils that don't require as much wick. The smaller diameter allows the coil to heat up more evenly and quickly. This is especially helpful on mech mods.

"Micro" also more traditionally refers to what is also called a contact coil, which is exactly what it sounds like... ...it's a coil where all of the wraps are touching. This usage originated in a time when there was still a large portion of vapers building coils with the wraps spaced apart from one another. Nowadays, when someone mentions a micro coil, they're talking about the first definition, not this one.

Now, high-resistance coils. Not everyone who vapes cares about clouds at all. Some people like a cool, single-coil vape. Depending on your preferences and the amount of airflow on your device, a 1+ ohm coil may be your ticket to flavor town. Tank system users tend to be the ones who like these builds the most. It's all about the surface area. A large, high resistance single coil wrapped with thinner wire (26g and down) can generate a lot of flavor and a satisfying amount of vapor with less power and heat, which is conducive to better performance in a tank system, where airflow and wicking capabilities are more limited.

I'm not sure why you think that dual coils produce little vapor. That is only true if they aren't getting adequate power. Everything about them is geared towards warmer, denser, more flavorful vapes... ...especially in RDA's, which are the kings of airflow and chamber space. A dual coil has half the resistance of a single coil with the same wrap count, which means it pulls double the power on an unregulated device. That is to say that they need double the power, though. More metal requires more power to heat up. This also means that the surface area is doubled. In terms of vapor production, duals will typically outperform their single counterparts by a wide margin because they have that much more surface area. A larger surface vaporizes more juice at any given point in time.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Macro coils generally have a diameter over 2mm-2.5mm. People typically use them for high-powered vapes and hotter coils because the wicking demands are very high and it is beneficial to be able to have more juice running to the coil at any given time. For instance, if I want to run a .2 dual 22g at 100w, then I'm gonna make the diameter a minimum of 3mm because if I don't, those coils are going to go through juice so quickly that I will get dry hits.

Micro coils work better for cooler or even warm coils that don't require as much wick. The smaller diameter allows the coil to heat up more evenly and quickly. This is especially helpful on mech mods.

"Micro" also more traditionally refers to what is also called a contact coil, which is exactly what it sounds like... ...it's a coil where all of the wraps are touching. This usage originated in a time when there was still a large portion of vapers building coils with the wraps spaced apart from one another. Nowadays, when someone mentions a micro coil, they're talking about the first definition, not this one.

Now, high-resistance coils. Not everyone who vapes cares about clouds at all. Some people like a cool, single-coil vape. Depending on your preferences and the amount of airflow on your device, a 1+ ohm coil may be your ticket to flavor town. Tank system users tend to be the ones who like these builds the most. It's all about the surface area. A large, high resistance single coil wrapped with thinner wire (26g and down) can generate a lot of flavor and a satisfying amount of vapor with less power and heat, which is conducive to better performance in a tank system, where airflow and wicking capabilities are more limited.

I'm not sure why you think that dual coils produce little vapor. That is only true if they aren't getting adequate power. Everything about them is geared towards warmer, denser, more flavorful vapes... ...especially in RDA's, which are the kings of airflow and chamber space. A dual coil has half the resistance of a single coil with the same wrap count, which means it pulls double the power on an unregulated device. That is to say that they need double the power, though. More metal requires more power to heat up. This also means that the surface area is doubled. In terms of vapor production, duals will typically outperform their single counterparts by a wide margin because they have that much more surface area. A larger surface vaporizes more juice at any given point in time.

well. thanks lol that helped honestly. so pretty a mod that produces lots of vapor most likely means that more juice is being burned?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well. thanks lol that helped honestly. so pretty a mod that produces lots of vapor most likely means that more juice is being burned?
Yes, it's an equivalent exchange between vapor production and juice consumption. Although other factors can affect the perceived density, the amount of juice consumed is always proportional to the amount of vapor generated.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it's an equivalent exchange between vapor production and juice consumption. Although other factors can affect the perceived density, the amount of juice consumed is always proportional to the amount of vapor generated.

One of the more astute observations I've heard in years rz. And it follows more vapor, more flavor. What mitigates this is diffusion (post vape heating) which is the way most of us have learned to build encouraged by the industry and momentum in the community. You get the best vape with the greatest efficiency of wick/wire/power/air/flow design. Careful on observing the obvious Icarus. It can be habit forming and ruffles the feathers.

Good luck.

:)

Chaotic_Vapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey all this is actually my first post here and i know some basic knowledge about vaping. getting my first mod soon (kanger subox mini) and i some about coils. like nichrome heats up alittle faster than kenthal. but heres what really confuses me. everyone who vapes of course wants the best clouds and best flavor. what are macro and micro coils. why are people using 2 ohm builds if they produce little vapor or flavor. whats the point of dual coils if some produce like no vapor at all? its so confusing to me just need some help, i hope i made sense.

thanks
Just to add to this (I like to help) but not as detailed as RZ.

Some dual coils won't produce vapor IF, and only if, the rda you are using can't get air flow through. For example if I built dual coils but filled it so full of cotton/wicking it could barely breath, no vapor. I learned that first hand when my quad coils did worse than a single coil.

Here's an example based on my progress through vaping.
I started out using dual single coils. Got some decent clouds and I thought the flavor was great. Then I built parallel coils (that's wrapping 1 coil using 2 wires right next to each other) and it was even better. Then I tried quad single coils and they were alright. Blew okay clouds but not very much in flavor. So yesterday I built my first set of twisted coils. They are by far better than my parallels in flavor and clouds.

So the biggest thing new people ask, "Lower ohms, more clouds right?" Depends. On a mechanical mod I would think yes. But on a vv/vw mod like the subox they don't matter as much. Why? Because you can increase your watts instead. When you increase your watts it makes up for having a .2 ohm build instead of a .1.

I hope I somewhat helped you with understanding different coils and the reasons they are used.

Sent from my dos terminal.

VU Sponsors