Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a tv watching snack here...a quicky photo.

rGRQQIVl.jpg

Focaccia bread with garlic bologna, Harvarti cheese, and some green olive and bacon Aioli. Toasted up in the convection oven. SImple is good. :)

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Country fried steak, roasted baby reds, fresh green peas, all topped with white gravy. I use thin sliced strip steak for the country fried and half and half for the gravy. My neighbor supplied the peas. Got them at a outdoor fresh market in Plant city Fl.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Country fried steak, roasted baby reds, fresh green peas, all topped with white gravy. I use thin sliced strip steak for the country fried and half and half for the gravy. My neighbor supplied the peas. Got them at a outdoor fresh market in Plant city Fl.
your neighbor brings you peas???
MINE TO!
yet not from a market... nooooooooooooo
mine come to me a differnt way.. i show ya...
117..jpg
pea picker done..jpg

da moocow man an i go zipping after dem combinders on da 4 wheeler
and fetch a 5 gallon bucket of peas
to be washed blanched an frozen for winter.

having Good neighbors is wonderful ain't it?
espically when Ya LOVE having FRESH Peas. ;)

edit: because those cutters have to cut SO CLOSE to the ground is WHY
we go Rock Picking...
You miss a Rock and have one of the cutter blades hit it, get jammed up in der
and you can take out the ENTIRE MACHINE for HOURS!
soooooooo we pick REAL good. cuz you goof up to many times and dem LEAVE
and NOT COME BACK. and some places never to come back again.

Last edited:

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's awesome. Yes my neighbor brings me fresh fruit and vegs from his relatives farm in Plant City. About 30 miles away. Summer time is strawberries and watermelon mostly.
20200223_191936.jpg

And Whatever else they have going on mostly peas, oakra, turnip greens, and other various items. I get the greens but not the turnips though. Wonder if the green is the crop or a byproduct. Anyways we are blessed. This summer we recieved 20ish flats of strawberries and we gave them out to everyone. Even knocking on random doors and introducing ourselves around the neighborhood with the gift of fresh berries.

Attachments

• 20200223_191936.jpg
    20200223_191936.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 2

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's awesome. Yes my neighbor brings me fresh fruit and vegs from his relatives farm in Plant City. About 30 miles away. Summer time is strawberries and watermelon mostly.
View attachment 169612

And Whatever else they have going on mostly peas, oakra, turnip greens, and other various items. I get the greens but not the turnips though. Wonder if the green is the crop or a byproduct. Anyways we are blessed. This summer we recieved 20ish flats of strawberries and we gave them out to everyone. Even knocking on random doors and introducing ourselves around the neighborhood with the gift of fresh berries.
HOLLY [HASH=992]#$@!@!^%&^[/HASH]
is there anyway you could find out the VARIETY of dat strawberry?

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
HOLLY [HASH=992]#$@!@!^%&^[/HASH]
is there anyway you could find out the VARIETY of dat strawberry?
I will ask. And it was not a single berry but a half flat that was big as that. And they were sweet and perfectly ripe.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I will ask. And it was not a single berry but a half flat that was big as that. And they were sweet and perfectly ripe.
you find out and I WILL TRACK DOWN SOME STARTS..
and I will grow that!
if only to stick in da moocow man and da folks we bought da farm froms eye... of a na na na na nawwww
just look what da soil out here grew....

was pitching pears at em today.. lol lol lol
social distacing ya know so I HAVE TO THROW DEM AT EM..

an em can't bitch at me DIS time. lol lol lol lol

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
you find out and I WILL TRACK DOWN SOME STARTS..
and I will grow that!
if only to stick in da moocow man and da folks we bought da farm froms eye... of a na na na na nawwww
just look what da soil out here grew....

was pitching pears at em today.. lol lol lol
social distacing ya know so I HAVE TO THROW DEM AT EM..

an em can't bitch at me DIS time. lol lol lol lol
Well I will definately ask for you. It is also my understanding that Florida doesn't have the most fertile soil it is sandy. So likely better results could had elsewhere. I will keep you posted.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Well I will definately ask for you. It is also my understanding that Florida doesn't have the most fertile soil it is sandy. So likely better results could had elsewhere. I will keep you posted.
oooooooo am thinking WISKEY KEG with drip feeding..
that would be da WRONG strawberry for my zone.
YET i could bring in starts for over winter...

OOOOO you find me kind of strawberrys dat can grow DAT BIG...
an I can make it happen.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now that I thin
oooooooo am thinking WISKEY KEG with drip feeding..
that would be da WRONG strawberry for my zone.
YET i could bring in starts for over winter...

OOOOO you find me kind of strawberrys dat can grow DAT BIG...
an I can make it happen.
Now as I think about it I have a ziplock of these in the freezer. Do I have access to useable seed?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
am looking up starting strawberrys from seed..

and i seriously think you have a hybryd the more i think about it..
and that means root start only for success.

btw i have the lights and strawberry tower to get it started
and keep em going.
yet i really do not think from the seed would work with those.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Dummy me, have had acid reflux like you wouldn't believe for about 15 years now, so I live on Prilosec...

Hubbs buys the generic stuff at Walmart in boxes containing 3 bottles each, and each bottle is 14 days' worth.

Dummy me took the last bottle out of the latest box and "put it away" somewhere and now I cannot find it to save my life.

So it was me and Pepto in the middle of the night last night, and I've had no coffee this morning, only milk and a bland egg and cheese sandwich on plain white bread for breakfast...

Because otherwise, if I eat sausage or bacon or ham, my entire insides will be FLAMING in no time flat.

And poor hubbs has had to make a special trip to the store to get me a supply of Prilosec. He sure is good to put up with my shit all the time.

So I'm not cooking anything. :sad:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been making some awesome meals for dinner lately but forget to take pictures because I am serving. So tonight is Lentil Soup with cut up Hot Dogs~!

1600978951475.png

I wanted to get a picture of the Veal Scallopini last night but it needs to be served as soon as it's done. Looked restaurant quality and tasted just as good.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Been making some awesome meals for dinner lately but forget to take pictures because I am serving. So tonight is Lentil Soup with cut up Hot Dogs~!

View attachment 169725

I wanted to get a picture of the Veal Scallopini last night but it needs to be served as soon as it's done. Looked restaurant quality and tasted just as good.
Hot dogs, one of mankinds greatest inventions. Always got some in the fridge or freezer. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hot dogs, one of mankinds greatest inventions. Always got some in the fridge or freezer. :)

That was a Lentil Soup using Goya Lentils so light color but oh so tasty~! The Hot Dogs is a German Style and was going to use the 1/4 Lb Dogs they had~!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That was a Lentil Soup using Goya Lentils so light color but oh so tasty~! The Hot Dogs is a German Style and was going to use the 1/4 Lb Dogs they had~!
I like lentil soup. Great flavour.
Hot dogs cut like that are great on pizza too. Couple of years ago I forgot to buy salami for a pizza we made then thought why not hot dogs! Even my misses who is Italian liked it, and she's fussy.
Hot dog pizza, fried hot dog, roast hot dog, hot dog burgers, hot dog soup, hot dogs on a stick......

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Fried monkfish nuggets, cajun fries, coleslaw with pineapple tid bits in it. The slaw is my wife's famous Kimmy's killer slaw.
Hi, you made me google Monkfish as I had not heard of them here nor was on my caught list. Saw they are called Stargazers here due to their top of head eyes. But no, have never caught one of those. Also supposed to be delicious!
Sounds like a droolworthy meal for sure, love fish. ?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hi, you made me google Monkfish as I had not heard of them here nor was on my caught list. Saw they are called Stargazers here due to their top of head eyes. But no, have never caught one of those. Also supposed to be delicious!
Sounds like a droolworthy meal for sure, love fish. ?
one of my favorite fishes to eat.
Poor Man's Lobster
Recipe
Poor Man's Lobster
It's not really lobster but you'll think you are eating it with this rich, buttery fish recipe. Monkfish has a "meaty" flesh that is very similar to lobster which is why it makes it good substitute (at a fraction of the price).

and dats a BIG YUM YUM

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My turn tonight. Beef Bordeaux stew with Brown rice.
Onion and chopped garlic in light olive oil, not a fan of normal olive oil as the flavour overtakes things.
20200925_154658(1).jpg
Some beautiful gravy beef from our Aldi store. Seriously, when Aldi came to our town you never even contemplated beef from anywhere else. We are in Victoria but our store gets it from NSW. Never tough and always perfect.
20200925_154703(1).jpg
Add with Hot Cayene pepper, black pepper, parsely flakes and a good splash of Boudeaux wine.
20200925_155224(1).jpg
Add purple cabbage. Called red but is really purple.
Some facts. Cabbage and Carrots were original purple. But to appeal to buyers they were bred to be green and orange. Trouble was in doing so they bred out powerful natural antioxidants leaving the buyer with a more appealing colour, depending on your preference of course and naturally they went with the majority preference, but hugely less health benefits.....nerd lesson over...we go for purple every chance we get.
20200925_160029(1).jpg
Add your chopped potatoes, mushrooms and .....errr orange carrots (we only get them here for some reason a few months a year) and let simmer with about 500 ml of water for 1 1/2 hours. Stir every 15 minutes.
Now half an hour before serving stir often to break down half of the potato to thicken. I dont like to thicken with flower as some do and much prefer the thicken by breaking down the potatoes. To me it leaves a better flavour, I find flour dulls the flavours.
20200925_160543(1).jpg
Serving time and its all good and thick stew.
Plate up with Brown rice and enjoy.
20200925_181351(1).jpg
Dessert.
Misses made Manuka honey, brazil nut, peanut/hemp seed muffins. What a winner they are, were.. :D

Attachments

• 20200925_190420.jpg
    20200925_190420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
one of my favorite fishes to eat.
Poor Man's Lobster
Recipe
Poor Man's Lobster's Lobster
It's not really lobster but you'll think you are eating it with this rich, buttery fish recipe. Monkfish has a "meaty" flesh that is very similar to lobster which is why it makes it good substitute (at a fraction of the price).

and dats a BIG YUM YUM
I have never seen that fish under the USA name or our here for sale. But they say it tastes fantastic.
I love fishing but here in the past few months where I live our weather has been totally against fishing. Wrong pressure systems, wind directions, abnormally low temps. It often frustrating to see that in the same state as ours, Victoria, on the coast or at Melbourne, the weather can be so different. We can ring family in Melbourne and they have a great day, low wind sunny but here the opposite. Summers can vary maddly. They can have 15kph wind, 25c temp, on off cloud, whereas we can be 40c temps, 30kph wind and zero cloud baking us with our air cons on flat out. And guess what happens when Melbourne gets those big temps in the high 30's to 40's when we are pushing 50's?
They shut our grid down for 80% of Vic so Melbourne can get all the power to stay cool even though their temps are easily 10c below ours.
Oh, hang on, cooking thread. Where did I go there? Rant alert! :giggle:
Oh yeah, Monk Fish...yeah...those over privileged Melbournians probably get those too. :giggle:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

You've made me think of Split Pea Soup. God I do love the stuff, homemade anyway. Pretty soon it will be cool enough to cook up a pot of it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You've made me think of Split Pea Soup. God I do love the stuff, homemade anyway. Pretty soon it will be cool enough to cook up a pot of it.

You know the other day at the Market I was having a hard time finding Lentils but I saw Split Peas and almost made that instead~! Dad requested lentil Soup so give the People what they want~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight going to Grill a Rack of Baby Back Ribs over at my Sweeties. Definitely will pop some pics because it will be heavy on the BBQ Sauce.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
am REALLY starting to NOT like you very much der @SteveS45 .
LOBSTER almost killed me
den da steamers in wine
and now RIBS again.
am sooooooooooooooo jellious..
meanwhile back at da farm.. spent the entire day canning.
thay have been out of canning lids here all year
Only thing that got me threw this far was I had lids.
found some in china.. SAID ball..
worked my butt off washing sterlizing peeling blanching packing
sealing in hot water bath with the head over the steaming kettles.
ONLY TO FIND OUT
that the lids from china don't work for beans.
{{ am leaving out the explitives had about it all }}
all that work now sitting the the fridge in UNSEALED JARS..
am so sad
and what makes it way worsier issssssssssss

I WANT LOBSTER TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight will be Seasoned Chicken Quarters and Potatoes on the Gas Grill.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not cooking much today, too much crap already in the fridge and freezer to eat up. And, watching football takes precedence. ;)

But, I did take some older lean ground beef I'd found when I re-organized the freezer and mixed it with some of the faux-beef stuff. Along with a bunch of herbs/spices,smoked hot chile powder, Thai black soy sauce, Lea & Perrins, some Panko, and a healthy dash of Naga Mama sauce in lieu of catsup. No egg here, not making a meatloaf and it's quite wet enough and has good enough binders already.

Made lightly compacted balls of it and smashed 'em flat in ziplock bags to seal 'em plus a lot less mess that way. Two large ones and two smaller. I'll let 'em firm up in the freezer and probably make one for the Seahawks game.

IMG_20200927_100900.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pizza for MNF watching, wanted a mushroom cheeseburger sort of deal, this is how it came out. :)

Premade TJ's crust, sprayed with oil and seasoned with Pico de Gallo's brand 'Pico Fajitas' seasoning. It's not the usual American cumin-saturated taco seasoning, it's basically just salt with a blend of chiles and spices. Very versatile.

Added shredded Oaxaca cheese, a drizzle of ranch dressing, some of the seasoned faux-beef stuff, chopped Banana peppers, and tinned mushrooms. Then some shredded Grueyere for extra flavor. Sprinkled with more of the seasoning just 'cuz it's yummers.

uOwaAwDl.jpg

MVD5rsRl.jpg

zDzKoOFl.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Picked up a few nifty items at the MX store today, much fun trying out new things.

IMG_20200930_161428.jpg

Jalapeno sour cream in a bottle, beans in a pouch, and pickled Habaneros en Escabeche. :D???
Heck, I could just mix all three for a tasty bean dip. The sour cream should be nice to drizzle on nachos instead of having just clumps of it. ;)

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
cry-mascara (1).gif

NO I AM NOT SOBBING MY POOR HEART OUT!
horshraddish.jpg
just been grinding up da Horseradish DATS ALL...

the bottle with the label go's back to da neighbor lady....
well it WAS HER JAR TO BEGAN WITH! lol lol lol...

show HER what I do to folks who leave Der Jars at My Place.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The misses made a pear, crushed brazil nut custard cake and used the Flavour Art Premium Custard in it. Was absolutely delicious. The Premium Custard is actually from FA's cooking line.
20201003_140243(1).jpg

Same night though after watching a cooking show she saw and made boiled, pan fried eggs. Boil them, shell them and fry them with herbs.
Verdict.....? .....never ever cook eggs that way!
20201003_164351.jpg
Last night made a prawn ommelet (shrimps to you guys) loaded it with prawns and Pizza cheese mix, bit of parsely and black pepper.
Love prawn ommelts.
20201004_193830(1).jpg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Verdict.....? .....never ever cook eggs that way!
thats pretty funny...
yet bone crushing when your trying so hard to try something that sounds just FABULIOUS.
an ya get mr yuck.
so if you first do not succeed try try again...
or until em grows to LIKE EM DAT WAY!

reminds me of a cake i studied and attempted...
Rosace à l’Orange click---> https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/rosace-lorange/
1601863021919.png
the orange slices came off the top so it looked like a wet brain..
and the cake was so dence it was not eatable..
and i worked my butt off making that discusting mess.
yet the recipe seemed to hold such promise.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors