Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
thats pretty funny...
yet bone crushing when your trying so hard to try something that sounds just FABULIOUS.
an ya get mr yuck.
so if you first do not succeed try try again...
or until em grows to LIKE EM DAT WAY!

reminds me of a cake i studied and attempted...
Rosace à l’Orange click---> https://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/rosace-lorange/
View attachment 170502
the orange slices came off the top so it looked like a wet brain..
and the cake was so dence it was not eatable..
and i worked my butt off making that discusting mess.
yet the recipe seemed to hold such promise.
Wet brain cake :giggle:
It is a bummer when it just fails after all the effort.
My sister made some scones last year and gave them to us when we were leaving. They were vile, like she tipped half a pack of salt in them. On the way home we stopped by a lake and broke them up putting them on the ground at the picnic area for birds to eat. Usually anything there doesn't last long with the magpies and crows. Three days later we went past and not a bit was gone! :giggle:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just saw on a Google news site the Nephew of the Colonel leaked the secret recipe a while ago. Last year?
Gonna have to try it out.
Screenshot_20201005-232939.png

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pizza!

Tw7gJhtl.jpg

The last of my TJ's crusts, brushed with seasoned EVOO, then some cheese, bruschetta sauce spiked with extra garlic and MX oragano, pepperoni, sausage, and black olives. Topped with more MX "Manchego" cheese.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Strawberry Jam recipe?
Somewhere in my head I recall here was, my heads a sieve at times so I may be wrong.
But I'm thinking here was a Strawberry Jam recipe!?
Was it @DaBunny you? Am sure you had a friend that grew them, yes?
My misses was saying she would love to make her own.
Anybody have a good natural type one?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Strawberry Jam recipe?
Somewhere in my head I recall here was, my heads a sieve at times so I may be wrong.
But I'm thinking here was a Strawberry Jam recipe!?
Was it @DaBunny you? Am sure you had a friend that grew them, yes?
My misses was saying she would love to make her own.
Anybody have a good natural type one?
i have 2 recipe..
one with sure jell
one with a natural pectin... {apple}
the natural with apple is my favorite.. got it from PBS ofcourse..

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

3 pounds strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (10 cups)

3 cups (21 ounces) sugar

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded (1 1/4 cups)

2 tablespoons lemon juice

KEY EQUIPMENT

Strawberry Huller

Dutch Ovens

Potato Mashers

Measuring Spoons
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Be sure to choose small, fragrant berries that are just ripe, and discard any that are bruised or mushy. Do not try to make a double batch of this jam in a large pot; rather, make two single batches in separate pots. Shred the apple on the large holes of a box grater.
INSTRUCTIONS
Place 2 small plates in freezer to chill. Using potato masher, crush strawberries in Dutch oven until fruit is mostly broken down. Stir in sugar, apple, and lemon juice.

Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring to ensure sugar is completely dissolved. Continue to boil mixture, stirring and adjusting heat as needed, until thickened and registering 217 to 220 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes. (Jam is very frothy in beginning and requires near-constant stirring to prevent it from boiling over; froth will subside as jam boils.) Remove pot from heat.

To test consistency, place 1 teaspoon jam on chilled plate and freeze for 2 minutes. Drag your finger through jam on plate; jam has correct consistency when your finger leaves distinct trail. If jam is runny, return pot to heat and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes longer before retesting. Skim any foam from surface of jam using spoon.

Let jam cool completely, about 2 hours. Transfer jam to airtight container and refrigerate until set, 12 to 24 hours. (Jam can be refrigerated for up to 2 months.)

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
i have 2 recipe..
one with sure jell
one with a natural pectin... {apple}
the natural with apple is my favorite.. got it from PBS ofcourse..

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS

3 pounds strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (10 cups)

3 cups (21 ounces) sugar

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded (1 1/4 cups)

2 tablespoons lemon juice

KEY EQUIPMENT

Strawberry Huller

Dutch Ovens

Potato Mashers

Measuring Spoons
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Be sure to choose small, fragrant berries that are just ripe, and discard any that are bruised or mushy. Do not try to make a double batch of this jam in a large pot; rather, make two single batches in separate pots. Shred the apple on the large holes of a box grater.
INSTRUCTIONS
Place 2 small plates in freezer to chill. Using potato masher, crush strawberries in Dutch oven until fruit is mostly broken down. Stir in sugar, apple, and lemon juice.

Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring to ensure sugar is completely dissolved. Continue to boil mixture, stirring and adjusting heat as needed, until thickened and registering 217 to 220 degrees, 20 to 25 minutes. (Jam is very frothy in beginning and requires near-constant stirring to prevent it from boiling over; froth will subside as jam boils.) Remove pot from heat.

To test consistency, place 1 teaspoon jam on chilled plate and freeze for 2 minutes. Drag your finger through jam on plate; jam has correct consistency when your finger leaves distinct trail. If jam is runny, return pot to heat and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes longer before retesting. Skim any foam from surface of jam using spoon.

Let jam cool completely, about 2 hours. Transfer jam to airtight container and refrigerate until set, 12 to 24 hours. (Jam can be refrigerated for up to 2 months.)

EDIT: have her WATCH the video if she has never made jelly..
theres some nice tricks she can pick up from there to insure success.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tonight was a seafood pasta. I feel like drooling Homer Simpson any time its mentioned to be honest.
Errrrgh.. seafood.....
tenor (4).gif
Ok maybe not that gross but I like it a lot.
So in with these...
20201010_175726_HDR(1).jpg
20201010_175134(1).jpg
Dished up with flaked aged parmesan cheese.
20201010_181415(1).jpg
Followed by my misses salad....
20201010_182548(1).jpg

And @DaBunny the misses says thanks for the Strawberry jam info very much. Will not be long before we get the in season ones here from up north, Qld, here in Vic still not the propper season. When she makes some I'll show you the results. :)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Chicken piccata over Alfredo sauce with cellentani pasta and fried artichoke hearts
B142E8EE-2332-4CE3-8C90-41E5DC9F29B2.jpeg2E7D7182-0B6E-43B3-9784-A108CBC601C5.jpeg

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you... we moved and I’m just getting back into the swing of things

nice pancakes
{{hiding under the desk with a stock pot over er head for protection}}
sooooooooooooo
are ya gonna do home schooling again?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
These English muffins I got are awesome. No flat little sad biscuits here. :D
Must make brekky...

IMG_0891.JPG
  • Muffins spread with Jalapeno sour cream mixed with a sprinkle of curry powder and lightly toasted.
  • Isernio's breakfast sausage, made right here in WA state. Made with pork, water, salt, vinegar, cane sugar, torula yeast, spice extractives, honey, and spices.
  • An organic brown egg, scrambled with garlic, onion and jalapeno
  • Muenster cheese
It's huge....cut in half to fit in my mouth, I'll eat the other half later. ;-)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight's dinner is just Sabret Hot Dogs with Sauerkraut but made my Onions in Sauce with Cayenne Pepper and Louisiana Supreme Hot Sauce. Definitely some Smokin' Hot Onions~! Smiles frozen Potatoes on the side.

1602711924657.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We finally tried a box of the Zatarain's Dirty Rice the other night, made it with about 1.5 pounds of ground pork. Hubbs and I ate like two little pigs that hadn't eaten in days. We had one little container of it left over, which I plan to sneak in and grab for lunch today.

I think @f1r3b1rd is influencing my cooking. I've never eaten Cajun at home very much, and really it still doesn't happen too often, but I find myself thinking about it a LOT. I had never made jambalaya or dirty rice at home until he started talking about it. Now I want to make a pan of cornbread dressing with Louisiana hot sauce and a shitload of black pepper!

By the way, what is file?: I assume there's supposed to be an accent over that "e" but I don't know how to make that character on a keyboard. I used to hear that all the time in Baton Rouge, though, and I've never known what it is.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here is another you might like @nadalama

1603120238035.png

As you can see I keep a fair amount in stock in my downstairs pantry~! The Creole Foods on top is Dirty Rice.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Here is another you might like @nadalama

View attachment 171493

As you can see I keep a fair amount in stock in my downstairs pantry~! The Creole Foods on top is Dirty Rice.

Do you order that or buy it locally? Also, my terrible vision, I can't read the second part of the brand name. I see "Chef" but I can't read the other part.

What do you serve with it? Hubbs and I, we love rice so much, when I make any kind of a rice dish with meat in it, we tend to eat that by itself, unless it's plain chicken and rice, in which case I will usually make some kind of peas to serve alongside.

I see you have yellow rice also. God I love that stuff with chicken in it. During the first part of the Covid scare, I ordered some Vigo yellow rice, but all they had in stock was the low sodium kind, so I have to add a Knorr chicken bouillon cube to it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is Chef Karlin and I buy it locally. Foodtown or even at the Dollar Tree~!

It is available on Amazon

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
As a Native New Orleanian, and former chef for several of the restaurants in the city I gotta say no. I can tell by the color it’s way off. If you’ve been there and your jambalaya looks like that, you’re in a tourist trap.
Any and all of those box kits are going to be off, usually extra salty. But if you absolutely have to go that route:
Use the Louisiana brand, Oak grove or zatarans.
Personally I keep either Louisiana or Zatarans in my pantry in case I need to make a quick dinner or unexpected guests show up. Zatarans has more salt if that’s a concern.
Sorry but no one is more judgements than a coonass when it comes to gumbo, jambalaya and red beans.
nada knows
There’s a quick route to it also, that my mom uses. Holy Trinity, meat, 1 cup of marina, 1 cup water, 1 cup rice.
it’s not as good but it does a decent simulation of creole jambalaya. I usually cook Cajun which has no tomato. Even that doesn’t take long though. There’s no roux involved, so it’s really just a dish that requires prep time.
Like i said- we coonasses are extra food judgemental.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just something I whipped up for a pre-game brunch.
Gotta save room for actual game foods and beer....hehe...

2parexH.jpg

Toasted a slice of Focaccia bread lightlly, swiped it with refried beans, added cheddar and put pack in the convection oven to stay warm and get melty a bit.

Prepped up some white mushroom, onion, garlic, black olives, and deli smoked turkey. Also minced up half a habanero and threw it in the hot oiled pan with the garlic/onions to establish flavor then added the rest.

Took about 5min. to make and was just what I needed. Saved some of the 'toppings' stuff for french bread "pizza" later. :)

TBH, I pay little heed to any established cuisines. I just cook what I like using the flavors and ingredients I want from a bunch of cultures and techniques. ;)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Do y'all know that sorry rascal of a husband of mine got to the dirty rice before me!?! I ended up eating damn grilled cheese and potato chips. I was miffed, in case you can't tell.

We're having either Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice tonight made with andouille sausage. I would like to try making it from scratch one of these days, but I don't have the right spices or the time to do it now.

Tomorrow night he has promised me sausage and homemade white gravy over hash browns. Fabulous!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Do y'all know that sorry rascal of a husband of mine got to the dirty rice before me!?! I ended up eating damn grilled cheese and potato chips. I was miffed, in case you can't tell.

We're having either Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice tonight made with andouille sausage. I would like to try making it from scratch one of these days, but I don't have the right spices or the time to do it now.

Tomorrow night he has promised me sausage and homemade white gravy over hash browns. Fabulous!
Red beans is so easy from scratch..
All you need is a crockpot, trinity, beans and either Louisiana Cajun seasoning or Tony’s

it’s one of those cool all day and let it do it’s own thing foods

im making mine Wednesday and can’t wait. Mrs Bird likes them but they mess with her belly so I only do them a few times a year, now. Poor lady tried to have them every Monday but making small batches of things is difficult for me.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
french onion.jpg
Julia Child’s French Onion Soup

Ingredients

5-6 Cups Yellow Onions, sliced thin
French Bread, about 4 slices
Swiss Cheese, Grated, about 12 ounces
Salt and Pepper
Sage, Ground, 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf, 1 leaf
Dry White Wine, 1 cup
Beef Stock, 6 cups {{made from soup bones}}
Flour, 3 Tbsp

Perfect meal for the first snow of the year

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Fresh Italian or French Bread is the way to go IMO.

I love beef broth and bread. I could do without the beef and veggies, just give me the soup and bread! Reminds me of when my mother would do pot roast when I was a kid. I ate rolls and the broth and left the rest for everyone else!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Red beans is so easy from scratch..
All you need is a crockpot, trinity, beans and either Louisiana Cajun seasoning or Tony’s

it’s one of those cool all day and let it do it’s own thing foods

im making mine Wednesday and can’t wait. Mrs Bird likes them but they mess with her belly so I only do them a few times a year, now. Poor lady tried to have them every Monday but making small batches of things is difficult for me.

One of the funniest things I remember about Baton Rouge, one day Ray (the company gofer who always got lunch for everybody) brought back red beans and rice for a bunch of the guys in the machine shop. This guy named Richard, the next morning, came in telling everybody that his wife said she was divorcing him the next time he ate red beans and rice.

Apparently the "belly troubles" Richard had from red beans were second to none.

On most dried beans, it really does help get rid of most of the lectins if you change out the water at least once. Twice is even better.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
One of the funniest things I remember about Baton Rouge, one day Ray (the company gofer who always got lunch for everybody) brought back red beans and rice for a bunch of the guys in the machine shop. This guy named Richard, the next morning, came in telling everybody that his wife said she was divorcing him the next time he ate red beans and rice.

Apparently the "belly troubles" Richard had from red beans were second to none.

On most dried beans, it really does help get rid of most of the lectins if you change out the water at least once. Twice is even better.
Bahaha!!!!!
soaking them overnight is the best way to do it. That’s actually a tradition. My mom never did that, as a result, she would get phone calls from the school about my “flatulence“ disturbing the class. Growing up we were really poor, and they spent a good but of the household income sending us to catholic school. Because of that we ate a whole lot of red beans and egg salad. Let’s just say I was the band leader for the magical fruit.
Mrs Bird has a host of issues, her gal bladder was removed and she has diverticulitis. I soak the beans but it still doesnt do much good. The things that don’t cause her pain are boring and she hates eating them. shes a foodie like I am, so we just plan meals so that she can enjoy them and pay for them later if need be,

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Bahaha!!!!!
soaking them overnight is the best way to do it. That’s actually a tradition. My mom never did that, as a result, she would get phone calls from the school about my “flatulence“ disturbing the class. Growing up we were really poor, and they spent a good but of the household income sending us to catholic school. Because of that we ate a whole lot of red beans and egg salad. Let’s just say I was the band leader for the magical fruit.
Mrs Bird has a host of issues, her gal bladder was removed and she has diverticulitis. I soak the beans but it still doesnt do much good. The things that don’t cause her pain are boring and she hates eating them. shes a foodie like I am, so we just plan meals so that she can enjoy them and pay for them later if need be,

My mother always soaked beans overnight, too, as did all her sisters. Me being someone who would forget her own head if it wasn't sewn on, I read about a quick method, so this is what I do. Sort through beans, wash in a colander, cover plus 1" with water in a large pot that has a lid. Bring to a boil and boil for five minutes, then turn heat off, cover and let sit for one to two hours. Pour off the soaking water, add fresh water, and if you have time, do it again. If not, you can just cook them after that first water change. Add no salt until beans are nearly done.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My mother always soaked beans overnight, too, as did all her sisters. Me being someone who would forget her own head if it wasn't sewn on, I read about a quick method, so this is what I do. Sort through beans, wash in a colander, cover plus 1" with water in a large pot that has a lid. Bring to a boil and boil for five minutes, then turn heat off, cover and let sit for one to two hours. Pour off the soaking water, add fresh water, and if you have time, do it again. If not, you can just cook them after that first water change. Add no salt until beans are nearly done.
I’ll give that a shot next time.
thank You, that’s a totally new trick to me.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That 3lb chub of 85/15 ground beef I'd gotten on the sale for $3/lb...gotta get it put up before it goes bad so I did this:

IMG_20201020_141038.jpg

Slit open the chub of meat, removed the casing, and cut it into equal parts until I had eight 6oz chunks.

Pressed those flat into freezer bags leaving a wee bit of space between so they don't become one big mass and labeled as I do my juice: pencil on paper and packing-taped on. Put those bags on some cardboard in the freezer and they'll freeze flat for EZ and space-efficient storage. No waste, no mess, no fuss. And, fast defrosting or cooking later on. :cool:

I do this for most all of my ground meats, it makes life easier and I can make any size patties I want.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yuppers, I usually do this too...I think I read about it on The Kitchn?

VU Sponsors