Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Grilled Chicken and Potatoes Roasted on the Grill tonight.

1603233316873.png

Forgot to take a pic of the Escarole and Beans for the veggie though.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Turkey delish meal tonight. Turkey wing drumsticks which the misses marinated in olive oil and spices. And made a tomato lentil spice sauce to go with it, Italian recipe, I felt like eating the bones and plate!
Ridiculously good tasting!
Im spoilt.
20201021_190501(1).jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
This morning a Scrambled Egg with Ham and Cheese Wrap.

View attachment 171605

View attachment 171606

The skillet you're using there looks like one of the newer ones that has a non-stick ceramic-type coating on the inside. I have a couple of those and I absolutely love cooking in them. They are so much nicer and hold up so much better than the older-style Teflon and Silverstone finishes.

I had never bought one, but every Christmas my company gives us big duffel bags full of various things that are carried in our stores - usually small things like dish towels, peppermint or other seasonal candy, earbuds, fleece throws, storage containers, packs of washcloths or dishcloths, really it could be just about anything. One year one of the things in the bag was one of these skillets. I figured, that thing is probably not even worth using, but I tried it and I was so surprised. I've bought several more since then, of varying sizes and shapes. They've held up well, too.

I can tell by the way the handle on yours is made that it's a much nicer skillet than the ones I have. But I'm here to tell ya, even the less expensive ones are worth having. I have been really amazed.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The skillet you're using there looks like one of the newer ones that has a non-stick ceramic-type coating on the inside. I have a couple of those and I absolutely love cooking in them. They are so much nicer and hold up so much better than the older-style Teflon and Silverstone finishes.

No, that is the Copper Pots. Awesome to cook a wrap because it fits to toast it~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can tell by the way the handle on yours is made that it's a much nicer skillet than the ones I have. But I'm here to tell ya, even the less expensive ones are worth having. I have been really amazed.

I love to use an Old Fashion Cast Iron Skillet and wish that Grandmas was never thrown away~! I have actually taken one so blackened and used a die grinder with a wire wheel to polish it like new and Seasoned it with Olive Oil to make it like new.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I love to use an Old Fashion Cast Iron Skillet and wish that Grandmas was never thrown away~! I have actually taken one so blackened and used a die grinder with a wire wheel to polish it like new and Seasoned it with Olive Oil to make it like new.

My husband salvaged one from somewhere, too. He cooks breakfast in it all the time - won't let me use it. I'd love to make cornbread in it one of these days, but he'd have a dang cow if I did. lol There's also a Dutch oven around here somewhere that he has used to make stew by just sitting it in the coals of his fire outside. He'll take those pieces every once in a while and coat them in some kind of oil and bake them empty in the oven for an hour or two to renew the seasoning. He also never puts them into hot, soapy water.

I think one of the skillets I have is a copper one, come to think of it. Anyway, all of them sure beat the hell out of those old aluminum skillets that our moms used to make fried chicken in - every damn thing I cook in them sticks and makes nothing but a mess. I'm not all that crazy about the thought of cooking in aluminum anyway. I don't think "they" know yet whether or not aluminum is neurotoxic. I don't even buy drinks in aluminum cans.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I had never bought one, but every Christmas my company gives us big duffel bags full of various things that are carried in our stores - usually small things like dish towels, peppermint or other seasonal candy, earbuds, fleece throws, storage containers, packs of washcloths or dishcloths, really it could be just about anything. One year one of the things in the bag was one of these skillets. I figured, that thing is probably not even worth using, but I tried it and I was so surprised. I've bought several more since then, of varying sizes and shapes. They've held up well, too.

Thy Teflon stuff is dangerous, or at least it gives me bad memories.
Mom had one, I remember my pop teasing her about all the pepper in his eggs. She never used pepper with eggs, but the Teflon was coming off the pan, so we all got crunchy pepper eggs in the morning.
A few years later we found out about the Teflon causing cancer and dad threw out all of her cookware and brought her home a brand new set of magnalite. Thankfully for us she never cooked much out of her forte. As I got older though, I envy those pots. I ended up getting all of my kitchen gear from a restaurant supply house, with the exception of my great grandfathers cast iron and my newer cutlery.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Mom had one, I remember my pop teasing her about all the pepper in his eggs. She never used pepper with eggs, but the Teflon was coming off the pan, so we all got crunchy pepper eggs in the morning.
A few years later we found out about the Teflon causing cancer and dad threw out all of her cookware and brought her home a brand new set of magnalite. Thankfully for us she never cooked much out of her forte. As I got older though, I envy those pots. I ended up getting all of my kitchen gear from a restaurant supply house, with the exception of my great grandfathers cast iron and my newer cutlery.

All of the cookware I use is plain stainless except for skillets, and I cannot cook an egg in a stainless skillet without tearing it all to pieces. Pancakes and such, just forget it. I need non-stick skillets.

Yes, I read about the Teflon flaking thing years ago, and eventually I think Silverstone had the same problem. That's some scary shit to think that we all ate that stuff for years.

Hubbs uses the cast iron - I told Steve in another post, he's possessive over it and won't let me use it. That's probably not a bad idea on his part.

ETA: I do have two T-Fal skillets that I still use occasionally. I'll have to give a good, close look at them and make sure the finish isn't degraded. Thanks for making me think of that. Or maybe I should get somebody in here who can actually SEE to take a look at them!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All of the cookware I use is plain stainless except for skillets, and I cannot cook an egg in a stainless skillet without tearing it all to pieces. Pancakes and such, just forget it. I need non-stick skillets.

Yes, I read about the Teflon flaking thing years ago, and eventually I think Silverstone had the same problem.

Hubbs uses the cast iron - I told Steve in another post, he's possessive over it and won't let me use it. That's probably not a bad idea on his part.

Yes, I also use Stainless Steel Pots and Pans. I can't use the Copper to make a Potato and Egg Omelette because it doesn't let me make it like a cake~! Right Tool for the Right Job~!

Burnie

VU Donator
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yes, I read about the Teflon flaking thing years ago, and eventually I think Silverstone had the same problem. That's some scary shit to think that we all ate that stuff for years.

ETA: I do have two T-Fal skillets that I still use occasionally. I'll have to give a good, close look at them and make sure the finish isn't degraded. Thanks for making me think of that. Or maybe I should get somebody in here who can actually SEE to take a look at them!
You can still buy cast iron skillets, so get your own and tell Hubbs to keep his hands off yours. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Is this the stuff you're talking about as "Magnalite?" If so, we have a couple stew pots made of this stuff. I think the lidded one (and also has a pivoting top handle like a camp pot) belonged to my husband's grandmother, and the other one with no lid I bought at a thrift store years ago. I use that one once in a blue moon to cook pasta - the aluminum just makes me uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 1603308223960.png
    1603308223960.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 2

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I'm laughing because I used to have some cast iron and couldn't cook worth a darn with it. That's why I say, it's not such a bad idea for him to keep me away from his. The thought of not putting the cookware you just used into the dishwater to wash it just creeps me out, so when I have cast iron it stays about halfway seasoned and it's just terrible.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight is leftovers so no pictures except maybe the Oven Roasted Asparagus~! LOL

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hubbs is cooking Molasses Chicken thighs again tonight. We have some creamed white corn in the freezer, and maybe we'll have baked potatoes too. That's too much starch, but ask me, do I care? No, I do not. Potatoes and corn are my favorites.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's too much starch, but ask me, do I care?

I eat a ton of Pasta and Potatoes so more power to you~! Only thing was I was eating so much Fresh baked Italian before the Pandemic I started getting a belly. So I started eating the wraps instead a Hero for Breakfast/Brunch. Never going to cut out the Pasta or Potatoes it just isn't happening~!

Another cook decided to stick their hands in my cooking so I am not making the Asparagus. You fucked with it so now you can cook it~!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Forgot to take a picture when I plated it... been a terrible day

but ref beans in rice with ham and andouille - a dash of crystal
And stuffed artichoke
DEE0B6C7-F4A8-492A-8D8D-4DD0547935E7.jpeg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I eat a ton of Pasta and Potatoes so more power to you~! Only thing was I was eating so much Fresh baked Italian before the Pandemic I started getting a belly. So I started eating the wraps instead a Hero for Breakfast/Brunch. Never going to cut out the Pasta or Potatoes it just isn't happening~!

Another cook decided to stick their hands in my cooking so I am not making the Asparagus. You fucked with it so now you can cook it~!

I don't know if I've told this before here, but one afternoon, this was probably 15 years ago now, I came home from work and my son was in the house (he lived with us then) and had who I assumed was his girlfriend (who I'd never laid eyes on before) and some other girl COOKING DINNER IN MY KITCHEN. I mean one of those girls had a full casserole dish, had the oven door open, and was getting ready to shove her concoction into the oven.

Now, I don't have a poker face, not even one little bit of one. And that shit ran over me like, even I was shocked at how instantly very very pissed I was. So I know that until I grabbed hold of myself I had the Stare of Doom on my face. My son said, Hey Mom, this is Kim and her cousin Angie. We're making dinner!

He was happy as anything, I recovered enough to say what I hope was a passable Nice to See Ya to the girls, and I guess his heart was in the right place. He thought he was doing something nice for everybody, but I told him later, DO NOT BRING YOUR GIRLFRIENDS INTO MY KITCHEN without my permission. I don't want anybody that I don't know cooking in my damn kitchen!

Nobody that I've told this to has understood why I had a problem with it. And I don't know why I'm so possessive over my kitchen, but evidently I really am. Good thing I like my husband, because he's done more cooking than I have for the last year. I guess by now it's really HIS kitchen. :sad:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Man, that looks great! Sorry you had a bad day, though.
Me too... one kid had us up all night for no goddamn reason and the other kid got sent home from school with literally reams of busy work.
Just glad my dinner plan was easy.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nobody that I've told this to has understood why I had a problem with it. And I don't know why I'm so possessive over my kitchen, but evidently I really am. Good thing I like my husband, because he's done more cooking than I have for the last year. I guess by now it's really HIS kitchen.

I have no problem with other people in the Kitchen just DO NOT FUCK WITH MY MEALS~! I have had people try and volunteer during a family BBQ and my answer to them is.................. Thanks but NO Thanks! Too late now~! If you wanted to help you need to let me know in advance and I will assign you a task and show you how it is done. Remember I do appreciate your offer of help but at this point I can't be distracted~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Me too... one kid had us up all night for no goddamn reason and the other kid got sent home from school with literally reams of busy work.
Just glad my dinner plan was easy.

I'm so damn glad I raised my kids when I could still whup their little asses when they needed it.

For some stupid reason I have gotten hooked on that SuperNanny show on tv, and I swear, some of those children, all they need is a damn good= bunch of whacks on the backside. Hell, there are some older ones that I'd probably have punched their damn lights out before they got that bad.

Kids won't stay in bed, are abusive to their parents, hit and bite and kick like freaking animals. Makes my kids look like little angels.

Anyway, I went there with no reason other than I've been watching that show too much, and your problem with the kid may have nothing to do with any of that, but I hope things are worked out. I tell you, you think they're a challenge when they're babies, but boy howdy. Some of the older ones can make messes that you'd never think up in your life. So I hope you guys are ok.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm so damn glad I raised my kids when I could still whup their little asses when they needed it.

For some stupid reason I have gotten hooked on that SuperNanny show on tv, and I swear, some of those children, all they need is a damn good= bunch of whacks on the backside. Hell, there are some older ones that I'd probably have punched their damn lights out before they got that bad.

Kids won't stay in bed, are abusive to their parents, hit and bite and kick like freaking animals. Makes my kids look like little angels.

Anyway, I went there with no reason other than I've been watching that show too much, and your problem with the kid may have nothing to do with any of that, but I hope things are worked out. I tell you, you think they're a challenge when they're babies, but boy howdy. Some of the older ones can make messes that you'd never think up in your life. So I hope you guys are ok.
Thank you...
being the step parent I won’t issue out the corporal punishment. But I will make them door chores as punishment and let mom handle the whoopings.
If they are like this now, I’m scared to see what crap they’ll pull when they are old enough to really cause damages

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you...
being the step parent I won’t issue out the corporal punishment. But I will make them door chores as punishment and let mom handle the whoopings.
If they are like this now, I’m scared to see what crap they’ll pull when they are old enough to really cause damages

Well, I'll try to keep most of my stories to myself. It can get wild, that's all I'll say.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So today for Breakfast I had a Hero for a change using the leftover Italian from last night Toasted with Potato and Egg~!

1603377663522.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I saw a video on YT last night, wish I had bookmarked or shared it, a woman was making what was almost like a crust-covered pizza, but it was a breakfast or snack dish. She made the dough with sifted flour, baking powder, olive oil, and water, divided it into two parts and then rolled one of the parts into a very thin circle about the size of a large dinner plate. She covered that with prosciutto (took about five or six large, thin slices), and then covered the prosciutto with slices of what looked like provolone, maybe 7 or 8 of them altogether. Then she rolled the other half of the dough into a top crust the same size so it would fit over the other part. She pinched the edges together, all the way around, and then cooked the thing in a big skillet with a little olive oil on medium-low heat for about five to six minutes on each side.

She used plates to handle it, when she was putting the top and bottom crusts together, and when she turned it out of the skillet to cook the other side, since it was nearly as big as the skillet she was cooking it in. She slid it out of the skillet onto the plate, then put the skillet upside down over it, and flipped the whole thing over.

God it looked so good, and you could hear the crust crunch when she cut it into quarters. I am going to have to try this someday. It looked awesome. And you could make this with anything you wanted as the filling. Roast beef and provolone with grilled onions sounds fabulous to me, like a flat, grilled Philly cheesesteak. No Cheez Whiz for me, though, thank you very much.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw a video on YT last night, wish I had bookmarked or shared it, a woman was making what was almost like a crust-covered pizza, but it was a breakfast or snack dish. She made the dough with sifted flour, baking powder, olive oil, and water, divided it into two parts and then rolled one of the parts into a very thin circle about the size of a large dinner plate. She covered that with prosciutto (took about five or six large, thin slices), and then covered the prosciutto with slices of what looked like provolone, maybe 7 or 8 of them altogether. Then she rolled the other half of the dough into a top crust the same size so it would fit over the other part. She pinched the edges together, all the way around, and then cooked the thing in a big skillet with a little olive oil on medium-low heat for about five to six minutes on each side.

She used plates to handle it, when she was putting the top and bottom crusts together, and when she turned it out of the skillet to cook the other side, since it was nearly as big as the skillet she was cooking it in. She slid it out of the skillet onto the plate, then put the skillet upside down over it, and flipped the whole thing over.

God it looked so good, and you could hear the crust crunch when she cut it into quarters. I am going to have to try this someday. It looked awesome. And you could make this with anything you wanted as the filling. Roast beef and provolone with grilled onions sounds fabulous to me, like a flat, grilled Philly cheesesteak. No Cheez Whiz for me, though, thank you very much.

Sounds almost like a Calzone, but bigger....yummmers!! :D

I used up some leftover breads and made eggs with onion, garlic, fennel, sausage, a mushroom, and some Hatch chile pepper. With Cheddar...and it is a weird block of cheese Dad gave me...quite moist for a cheddar but awefully sticky and crumbly both. A serious PITA to cut slices of.

Cac1kdS.jpg

Cut in halves for snacking on at the PC...missing my huge coffee table about now. ;)

Milly got two plates of meat this morning, she's a hungry gal today. ?

P1040626.JPG

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds almost like a Calzone, but bigger....yummmers!! :D

I used up some leftover breads and made eggs with onion, garlic, fennel, sausage, a mushroom, and some Hatch chile pepper. With Cheddar...and it is a weird block of cheese Dad gave me...quite moist for a cheddar but awefully sticky and crumbly both. A serious PITA to cut slices of.

Cac1kdS.jpg

Cut in halves for snacking on at the PC...missing my huge coffee table about now. ;)

*Milly got two plates of meat this morning, she's a hungry gal today. ?

Now I could definitely be wrong, but around here that is called "Hoop Cheese" I do believe. I really thought it was a regional thing limited to the Southern US. All my life I've bought cheese like that at little country stores, and occasionally in locally owned grocery stores. Chain stores rarely have it. It comes in a huge "wheel" and is generally covered with red wax. Makes absolutely great toasted cheese sandwiches, but in my experience takes a little too long to melt for grilled cheese. But your description fits it perfectly - crumbly and a PITA to slice, but seriously yummy.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now I could definitely be wrong, but around here that is called "Hoop Cheese" I do believe. I really thought it was a regional thing limited to the Southern US. All my life I've bought cheese like that at little country stores, and occasionally in locally owned grocery stores. Chain stores rarely have it. It comes in a huge "wheel" and is generally covered with red wax. Makes absolutely great toasted cheese sandwiches, but in my experience takes a little too long to melt for grilled cheese. But your description fits it perfectly - crumbly and a PITA to slice, but seriously yummy.

I googled that and it sure does match the consistency of that cheese, minus the red wax coating.

Hoop-cheese-Martin-Supply.jpg

Mine is just a standard 2lbs block of cheese. Quite rich and does melt great as ya can see above. :D
Dern stuff sticks to every knife I have save a carbon steel Santoku with a Grafton-type edge, even then it tries to stick.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I googled that and it sure does match the consistency of that cheese, minus the red wax coating.

Hoop-cheese-Martin-Supply.jpg

Mine is just a standard 2lbs block of cheese. Quite rich and does melt great as ya can see above. :D
Dern stuff sticks to every knife I have save a carbon steel Santoku with a Grafton-type edge, even then it tries to stick.

Next guess - is it Gruyere? No, never mind, I see that it isn't.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Next guess - is it Gruyere? No, never mind, I see that it isn't.
That picture is from Googling "Hoop Cheese", this is my actual cheese here:

IMG_6140.jpg

Kinda reminds me of a Colby cheese but has a really rich flavor, and crumbles if you look at it wrong. Here it's sticking to my chef's knife like it's a life preserver....lol...

Sure looks like your cheese though.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That picture is from Googling "Hoop Cheese", this is my actual cheese here:

View attachment 171726

Kinda reminds me of a Colby cheese but has a really rich flavor, and crumbles if you look at it wrong. Here it's sticking to my chef's knife like it's a life preserver....lol...

Sure looks like your cheese though.

Colby is sticky but not crumbly, unless there are some Colby cheeses that are aged a lot longer. Maybe that's what you have. It really looks just like hoop cheese, though.

What about the flavor? Is it sharp like cheddar or smooth/sweet like Colby?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight will be Sausage Patties and Brocoli-Rabe pictures to follow later~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I think (hope) we're having leftovers. I have designs on those red beans and rice that were still in the fridge last time I looked, if that sneaky husband of mine hasn't eaten them already.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Didn’t pic it, was to busy eating it

leftover red beans with parm crusted chicken and Brussel sprouts cooked in the air fryer.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Colby is sticky but not crumbly, unless there are some Colby cheeses that are aged a lot longer. Maybe that's what you have. It really looks just like hoop cheese, though.

What about the flavor? Is it sharp like cheddar or smooth/sweet like Colby?

Yeah, it is more on the side of sharp cheddar than the average "Medium" cheddar, but not full-aged sharp.

At any rate, it's delicious stuff, but man I wish I had a wire cutter for it. :D

Like one of these:

s-l1000.jpg

Used to use one of those for the 15lb blocks of cheese at Taco Bell that got turned into shredded cheese in big-ass bins. Manually-fed into a big grinder...too coarse or too fine and ya could get fired.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OMFG am I full right now~! A little spicy from the Red Pepper but just enough to make it right. :vino:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Porcini and white truffle risotto with shrimps
21E8FC59-3D45-4275-957E-1E1F9BC7A3B0.jpeg
a few bites in the euphoria strikes
C7FB85B2-7F01-4F8D-AA1F-356537577298.jpeg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been slow cooking a Beef Round Bottom Roast as a Pot Roast with Potatoes, Carrots and String Beans all afternoon. Time to slice it for the final stage soon.

1603654391679.png

VU Sponsors