Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't have sugar because of my cancer and every year at this time I see one of my favorites. Well this year I found the answer, made these and you almost can't tell the difference.

Healthy Halloween Candy Apples​

GettyImages-184373187-1024x685.jpg

This old school Halloween classic is one of the easiest healthy-swaps that skips over the refined sugars in favor of a sticky caramel made with dates and coconut.

Ingredients:

• 3 small/ medium organic apples
  • 3 sticks to hold the candy apples
  • 16 pitted Medjool dates
  • ¾ cup of coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (or extract)
  • Optional: 1 cup of crushed almonds to roll the candy apples in)
Instructions:

1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
  2. Puncture the apples through the base of the apple halfway into the core.
  3. Dip the apples into the caramel sauce until it’s fully covered and place them on a tray with baking paper.
  4. Refrigerate the apples for 15 minutes at a time to cool the caramel and dip again until they’re well coated.
  5. Roll the apples in the crushed almonds, and store in the fridge until ready to eat!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I forgot to post this last night because I ate too much~!

1605270852588.png

Pork Loin with Brown Sugar, Garlic, Onions and Sauerkraut

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yesterday I made my Steak & Ale Cheese Soup for the Notre Dame game. Leftovers will be great today!

2-3 lb chuck or round, cut up into 1" cubes
4 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1 chicken stock cube
2 cloves garlic, crushed
24 oz beer or ale (I like Rolling Rock)
12 oz evaporated milk
2- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
Mix the flour, salt & pepper together in large, zip-lock bag. Add the meat to the bag & shake until well coated.
Place meat in skillet, shaking off excess breading & brown on all sides. Place meat in slow cooker.
Pour beer/ale over meat & add the potatoes, onion powder, thyme, chicken stock cube & garlic. Cook on High for 5 hours.
Add evaporated milk & stir, then add cheese & cook for 10-15 more minutes.

Attachments

• Steak & Ale Cheese Soup.jpg
    Steak & Ale Cheese Soup.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 3

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight I am making some chicken on the Gas Grill but going to make part if it Jamaican Jerk~! Mmmmmmmmm

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I went a little heavy on the Jerk Sauce and man was that Smokin~! Forgot to take a picture though~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So tonight I went with an Easy Dinner since I had to be a Plumber today~! Sausage Patties on Fresh Toasted French Bread with Pork and Beans and Homemade Cole Slaw

1605568757498.png

1605568781349.png

1605568815741.png

A couple of the Sausage Patties were HOT~! Just got a blast from something in my tooth~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Too Nasty out to cook on the Back Patio so I rolled the Gas Grill around to the Side Door~!

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So because I saw all these people saying Taco Tuesday this morning that is what I made~!

1605655438134.png

Soft and Hard Shells~! Sour Cream on the side for Taco Grande's~! Oooof stuffed right now.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wanted a grilled cheese sandwich, naturally I can't just do a normal one. ;)
Anyone remember Pimento Loaf? I made my own version here.

* 12-grain bread, rich and sweet and very dense. Swiped with mayo and Grey Poupon.
* Bandon brand cheddar - It was from Bandon, OR since the 1800s, but was bought up by Tillamook brands.
* Chopped green olive, onion, and low-fat Salami

vmC0NGVl.jpg

Buttered the outsides lightly, and in the pan she goes. I used a silicone lid to help melt the cheese and regulate temp.

TUPTDOzl.jpg

Bloody delicious. Crunchy on the outside and soft and melty-gooey-ness on the inside.

olhTV0Pl.jpg

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Getting set up to make a Spanish Seafood Paella for dinner tonight. Wish me luck I usually make Valencia or Chicken, Pork and Beef.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn that was more work than I thought but well freaking worth it~! The Calamari I Sauteed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Garlic with Goya Sazon seasoning. Was so tender and the Shrimps came out lovely with Cherizos and Onions and tomatoes. Enjoying a Glass of wine before I clean the MESS~!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tj's frozen chicken potstickers for a change of pace.

Did the EZ nuke route to steam-cook them, but then sprayed lightly with oil and ran 'em through the convection oven awhile to get that nice crunch and color on 'em. Made a homemade dipping sauce and we'd all good here for the KC game.

With no messy or unhealthy frying in oil. :D

RlZYZF1l.jpg

NKnA16Ol.jpg

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made up some pita for TV watching. :)

WBsSITLl.jpg

vnKSczhl.jpg

Stuff:
Pita bread, Kirkland Signature Brown Rice & Quinoa, deli roast turkey, Colby jack, fresh spinach, Naga Mama ghost pepper sauce and some TJ's Bomba Sauce.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Hi, I use spices mostly. Now and then use a chili sauce which comes from the US and I have loved it since day 1. When I first saw this one a couple of years ago I thought it was an Asian one. Nothing against Asian foods but most sauces I tried were heavy on the garlic. I like garlic but not traditional asian sauces we get here as most are over the top garlic.
But one day my misses got this one and I was "yeah I like that one" without knowing its origin. Turned out to look like an asian one, garlic overdrive, but wasn't.
Is till this day my number 1 favourite.
View attachment 158852
View attachment 158853
I love this stuff! It has been a staple in my kitchen for the last 30 years!!!!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A couple of months ago, I entered the Shamrock Clubs annual Chilli Cookoff with my "Dont Blame the Dog" Chili.

Much to my surprise, I took third place!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Needed to finish off my Marinara Sauce from the other day so I made Eggplant Parmigiana.

1606520068704.png
Fired the Eggplant instead of baking it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I started the Turkey Soup early this morning and still working on the stock. Will remove the bones in a bit and add the Vegetables.

1606667452502.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Made Desert for after Dinner tonight. I bought Salmon just haven't decided how I am making it yet~!

1607114498834.png

Angel food with Vanilla Pudding filling and Homemade Gelatin Glaze~!

Last edited:

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
2 Slices of tomato
2 Slices of Whole Wheat Multi Grain Bread
Put Tomato slices in between bread.
Season to taste
Done

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a 3lb Chuck roast with vegetables in the slow-cooker. Came out silly good. :)

No onion soup mix here, all from scratch. I used this recipe for a template on what to do with it, it's been some time since I made one. ;)

Meat was trimmed of all the big fat pads and superfluous connective tissue, just left a little to break down for flavor. I added a drizzle of Star EVOO and a few pats of real butter to add back the fats and flavor.

A 1/2 can of Tecate beer went in the liquid...because braising in beer makes meat happy. :D

I did not add the ketchup or sugar from the recipe, and used a couple tsp of Masa flour right in the cooker instead of the cornstarch to thicken it a bit just like a Chilli. Used a chopped Hatch chile for a nice bite with earthy flavor, and a dash of Stubb's Spicy BBQ sauce for the heck of it. Bay leaves, an Italian Seasoning Blend, and some Mexican Oregano were also mandatory.

Made lots of rich and delicious broth for gravy or w/e. Mmmmmm.

p69Y5xtl.jpg

Meat is spoon tender, yet some nice chunks still.

T8R19p7l.jpg

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Made a 3lb CHuck roast with vegetables in the slow-cooker. Came out silly good. :)
No onion soup mix here, all from scratch.

p69Y5xtl.jpg

T8R19p7l.jpg

Damn that looks like it came out really tender~! I can tell because it looks like pulled pork but beef~!

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
The Politically Correct Redneck Dinner

Fresh Corn - From the garden
Black Eyes Peas - From the garden
Venison Roast (100% lean) cooked in red wine with grilled onions
Multigrain Brown Rice
Sliced Tomato - From someone else's garden

Required Items: Cast Iron Skillet, Oven, Garden - Utensils if you are fancy.

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
One thing I love about not living in a large city.

Plenty of room for a garden and plenty of venison to go around. I guess technically that is two things, but you get it.

Nothing wrong with living in the city tho. More stuff to do; not everyone is related, etc.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One thing I love about not living in a large city.

Plenty of room for a garden and plenty of venison to go around. I guess technically that is two things, but you get it.

Nothing wrong with living in the city tho. More stuff to do; not everyone is related, etc.

I am on Long Island but with the Pandemic there is nothing to do and what is we don't want to go.

VU Sponsors