Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My rendition of Jambalaya but substituted Lobster for Crawfish. Could not find it any fucking place~!

1628894832267.png

1628894851317.png

Fresh Avocado Salad and Black Beans~!
I have to post pics like the Bird,Restaurant Style Servings~! LOL He inspires me~!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Sunday lunch today.
Misses made one of her traditional pizzas. The Italians typically dont use a lot of toppings like we are used to here and elsewhere.
This one is simply some tomato that she crushed and strained using what was left in the strainer as the sauce. Pre cooked in a pan red capsicum and purple garlic, then some anchovies and a light sprinkle of Parmesan and Italian mixed herbs.
20210815_124655_(1).jpg
20210815_131639_(1).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Aussie Perch, YellowBelly. Oven cooked with chips.
Delicious fish. You cant buy them, you have to catch them. They need nothing to cook, no oil, that ruins them as they have their own fat which they'll cook in. Just a sprinkle of herbs and thats it.
20210816_181410_(1).jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Will just be freezing chunks of this pie. To reheat and float in pea soup another day

460b1ac78874d0f493b9d06ce2c957a7.jpg
74d55d78f717fd2e1a2d8920ec865500.jpg
30ad2add7676f0612c4a6e959043f119.jpg
0b8572c2d60331e28835f7ebcbdd6e96.jpg
4ac15269b3353edf12c81ed0bb14186f.jpg
3473d4d8df5e92bf56dc0d72f0a44726.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Friday is cheat day, and I certainly did some diet damage yesterday.

I had a can of Nestle media crema in my prepper supplies, and an 11 oz. bag of caramels. I was surprised to read on the package, only 130 calories for four of them, but I digress.

I recently tried the B&M Brown Bread, another prepper supply, a canned dark bread cake, or cake bread, slightly sweet, and to me it tastes kind of like gingerbread, though no spices are listed in the ingredients.

First you have to remove the cellophane wrappers from the caramels. Consider it like shelling peas on the porch, time consuming but not difficult.

Then I melted a couple of tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, and strained the media crema into the pan, strained to remove little bits of milk solids, which don't taste bad, but you don't want them in your caramel sauce texture. Threw in a pinch of salt, stirred up the mixture and brought it just to a scald, little bubbles around the edge, then in with all of the caramels. Stir stir stir. They started to melt, but they weren't going to melt completely, so I covered the pan, put it in a cold oven, and started the oven at 350. When the beep sounded that the temperature was reached, I turned off the oven, leaving the pan in there. 10 minutes later, I removed it. Stir stir stir, still a few small lumps of un-melted caramel, so back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

I opened the cake bread can at both ends, pushed it out and cut off a slice, which you can barely see in the attached pic, all covered with apple slices, caramel sauce and a few pecans and walnuts. Left over was enough caramel sauce to fill a jelly jar.

Cooled and refrigerated, the caramel sauce keeps its creamy consistency for plopping onto a scoop of ice cream or whatever.

Caramel 1.jpg

Note: When you take a stainless steel pan out of a hot oven, be sure to leave a potholder on the handle or you will forget and end up with a pan handle brand on your hand.

Editing to add that the recipe doesn't need all 11 oz. in the bag of caramels, because I ate some of the caramels while peeling off the wrappers.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That sounds interesting~!
It was pretty good with butter added to the serving, but I'll probably test a couple of variations before the potluck. The pineapple side is always going to be delicious and succulent. The bread part was a bit dry, because I was trying to keep it from turning out gloppy. Next time more butter, more milk, maybe a little honey, for a thinner batter, smaller pan, hotter oven. We'll see what happens...

I'll post the recipe when I get it the way it should be.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I did a Happy chunky beef, potato, carrot and onion pie.
No laughing at the artwork please.....though I would :giggle:
20210824_183405~2_(1).jpg
20210824_183630_(1).jpg
Misses made desert. Vanilla Custard Paw Paw muffins. Flavoured with FA Custard Premium and French Vanilla with bits of fresh paw paw in them. Tasted amazing!
20210824_235834_(1).jpg
20210824_192702_(1).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Friday Fish Night with Tilapia Shrimp Scampi, Fresh Broccoli and Black Beans and Yellow rice with Red bell Peppers.

View attachment 185667

View attachment 185668
I watched a show about invasive fish species and on it amongst others was Tilapia. Im guessing they have become so widespread now they have become a comercial fish in the US? Hear they are good eating.
If you cant beat em eat em I guess. 👍

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I watched a show about invasive fish species and on it amongst others was Tilapia. Im guessing they have become so widespread now they have become a comercial fish in the US? Hear they are good eating.

It is a light and tasty fish. Not cheap but not expensive. Never heard about it being invasive though?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I did a Happy chunky beef, potato, carrot and onion pie.
No laughing at the artwork please.....though I would :giggle:
View attachment 185527
View attachment 185528
Misses made desert. Vanilla Custard Paw Paw muffins. Flavoured with FA Custard Premium and French Vanilla with bits of fresh paw paw in them. Tasted amazing!
View attachment 185529
View attachment 185533
Love your pie art. Instead of a pie in the face, a face in the pie.

Vanilla custard paw paw muffins sound delicious.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's interesting. Are Tilapia considered invasive in Oz, or everywhere? They're farmed in a lot of places. I saw a Tilapia farm in Costa Rica where they built like a concrete maze of channels for the fish to swim in. I don't like to eat farmed fish because of the suspect things they feed them.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I enjoy eating fresh blueberries, but I usually don't care to cook with them. I tried to make blueberry sauce once a long time ago. Since then I leave it to others to experience the trauma of purple stained tea towels, walls, clothes, shoes and floor. But in this recipe the berries require minimal handling, and don't make a mess.

Here's how I did the calories, per pie:

Two refrigerator crescent rolls per serving, each 90 calories = 180 calories
Blueberries: You barely have to count the calories. One cup is 84 calories, and these are about a quarter cup for the whole recipe = 21 calories = 5 calories per serving, and for that you get big blueberry flavor.
Butter: 1 tablespoon for the whole recipe, 100 calories = 25 calories per serving
Honey: 2 teaspoons for the whole recipe, 22 cal. per teaspoon x 2 = 44 calories = 11 calories per serving. Just 1 teaspoon is enough to drizzle the berries before baking; the other teaspoon is for making the honey butter glaze.
Total calories per triangle: 237

Undo the crescents, leaving them in squares. Add blueberries in a single layer to half the squares, keeping well inside the edges of the dough. Drizzle the berries meagerly with honey. Put the other half of the squares over the blueberry'd squares. No need to pinch them shut.

I don't preheat the oven; just turn it on at 375 when putting the pies in to cook.

Meanwhile, melt the butter, add the remaining teaspoon honey, stir it up. When the pies come out of the oven, let them cool a little before spreading the honey butter over the tops. Use a spatula to split each square into two triangle pastries.

One of these blueberry triangles with two scrambled eggs bring in a weekend breakfast at under 400 calories.

7 blueberry pies drizzle honey.JPG8 Blueberry pies cover berries with other half dough.JPG13 Blueberry drizzle thinly with honeybutter.JPG15 Blueberry pies 4 servings yumm.JPG

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's interesting. Are Tilapia considered invasive in Oz, or everywhere? They're farmed in a lot of places. I saw a Tilapia farm in Costa Rica where they built like a concrete maze of channels for the fish to swim in. I don't like to eat farmed fish because of the suspect things they feed them.
Hi. Yeah they are considered that pretty much everywhere. They overtake and outcompete native species.
A US site.
Below from a Qld fisheries website.
"Tilapia were introduced into Australia in the 1970s as ornamental fish and are now a major threat to Australia's native biodiversity. Females carry their eggs and small fry in their mouths, and these can survive for a long time after the adult dies. Therefore, releasing living or dead fish into waterways can cause new infestations."

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is actually take 3. Last fall I made an apple butter pecan tart for a potluck. Everybody liked it, but I wasn't satisfied because it had too many nuts, so the texture was annoyingly rocky.

For take 2, I included some grated carrots, which tasted good, but the carrots stuck out like orange whiskers all over the top of the pie, not esthetically pleasing.

Fall is here again, hence my new velvet glamourpuss pic, and I want to be ready to serve this again in November, so I tried my take 3.

I'm giving this in the order of execution because it works this way.

The apple butter contains cinnamon and clove, but the spices disappear into the eggs and nuts, so I added spices, but I didn't have any ground cloves. I melted a stick of butter, lifted out a couple of tablespoons to grease my 9 x 12 baking pan, then added 5 whole cloves to the rest of the butter to simmer a teeny bit, only about 10 seconds, then fished out the cloves. I pressed the thawed puff pastry into the greased pan and partially up the sides. You have to prick the pastry all over with a fork, at 1/2 inch intervals, or it will bake into a puffy hollow cloud. Then I used the pecans as pie weights. I had two 6 oz packages of pecan halves. I used all of one package, and part of the second. The point wasn't the measurement of the nuts, but to cover the crust without having a double layer. I think it was about 2 cups altogether. Then put the weighted crust into a cold oven, set to 350, and when the beep sounded to indicate temp reached, I removed it from the oven, leaving the oven on.

While pre-baking the crust, into a bowl went 1 cup brown sugar, the rest of the melted butter into that, and stir stir stir to dissolve the brown sugar rocky lumps that always occur. Then to that, one cup apple butter, two eggs, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon rum and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir stir stir, by hand (hate recipes that require a bunch of appliances).

Poured the mixture over the pre-baked nuts & shell, put the pan on a larger baking sheet in case it wanted to bubble over, and put the whole thing back in the oven. Raised the oven temp to 375. It's hard to know when it's done. I baked it for 20 minutes, then turned off the oven but left it in there for another 5 minutes.

Almost perfect this time. The only thing I would change next time would be not to fill the crust so much because the mixture puffs up when baking. The amount of filling I used overflowed the edges of the crust, but it all tasted wonderful anyway. Next time I'll save a quarter to a third of the filling and make a separate smaller pie.

Now I have to figure out how to get rid of this without eating the whole thing, but I haven't seen anybody go by my window, or heard anybody's door yet. My neighbors like eating my experiments.

Apple Butter Pecan Pie.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is an all day lunch I eat at my desk while working at the computer. You just replace each thing as it gets eaten.

The stores are full of fresh figs now. Can't get enough.
Bleu cheese strong enough to pop your eyeballs out
Raw white sharp cheddar
Big black seedless grapes
Juicy plums
Black pepper crackers
Toasted pecans and walnuts
Some sugar snap peas, just to be healthy
A few dark chocolate coated almonds, just to be naughty

All of it on lettuce leaves. After finishing the last morsel of toppings, you roll up the leaves and munch, because they have residues of cheese, fig stickiness, and salt from the nuts.

All Day Salad.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Curry Chicken tonight. I gave the misses the option of with rice or soba noodles. She chose the noodles. I forgot to put in chick peas which I like in it though only remembered as I was eating thinking "something's missing" :facepalm: This after earlier reminding myself not to forget the chick peas.
IMG_20210904_180007_904~2.jpg
IMG_20210904_181258_690~3.jpg

VU Sponsors