Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tonight I made a Meatloaf. I guess no one else is eating except for my Buddy @Smigo~!

View attachment 187829
Love anything with mushrooms. Except seafood.
Yeah where are the others lately?
Am a bit up front with my thoughts at times, hope I didn't offend anyone.

My misses made a great chicken Chili beans dish tonight. Just finished it. Forgot to take a picture. No leftovers. :)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is all I know about this one. My misses made it.
The most is like a normal cake with all I know peanut butter, wholemeal flower and stevia as sweetener. The Chocolate part has organic cocao or whatever 😀.... but that section has the consistency of mud cake, the rest like normal cake.
I was amazed how nice it was!
The chocolate part is awesome.
View attachment 187693
Your misses is good at this stuff.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last night I made massaman curry, but don't be scared. I used Mae Ploy paste, which has an impressive list of high quality ingredients: lemongrass, garlic, dried red chili, shallot, salt, galanga, shrimp paste, coriander seed, cumin, kaffir lime peel, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg.

No fillers or bad stuff, but it is very, very salty. Everybody makes curry their own way, so there's no point in giving a recipe, except to say that the Mae Ploy is very, very salty, so don't salt your other ingredients at all until the dish is done. Then taste for salt. It won't need any.

I used Gardein b'ef tips, potatoes, onions, fresh thyme, peas, and a few toasted peanuts. It was fast and easy except for simmering time. No pic because it's all gone, dinner last night, lunch today, and leftovers to the freezer.

Burp.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since we had Snowbeast in February of this year, with long power outages over several days, I've been experimenting with prepper options for heat and light. There are lots of Youtube vids about using Crisco to make candles because it has a long burn time, allegedly 96 hours burn time per pound. There are even videos that have clickbaity titles like "debunking the Crisco candle", which do nothing but prove that the candle made from one pound does burn for 12 days at 8 hours per day (96 hours total) if you keep the wick trimmed.

So I made tealights from Crisco earlier this week, just for practice, and to see how they work with the flowerpot heater, which is my other planned experiment.

The cups are from my tealight candelabrum, but I filled them almost to the top, making them something larger than tealights but smaller than votives. I wanted to fill the cups max, leaving room only to stick a birthday candle in each one for wick.

I was concerned that Crisco candles would make my apartment smell like fried food all the time, so I added ginger and peppermint essential oils.

I blobbed the Crisco into the clean tealight cups, almost to the top, pressed it in and topped off in places. The only reason to put it in the oven for a melt, is to make sure the cups are all full of settled mixture down to the bottom, and the essential oils blended in and not puddled anywhere.

While mixing and blobbing, I preheated the oven to 250. When the cups were filled and ready, I put them in the oven, closed the oven door, and turned off the oven. Emphasizing every step, because I didn't want to start the Crisco sizzling or cause heat breakage to the tealight cups. After a few minutes I checked the cups in the oven. The Crisco was mostly melted and clear, but there were "snowballs" still unmelted in the center of each one. I closed the oven again and turned it back on to 200. The "ready" beep sounded immediately, so I raised it to 250, and "ready" beeped a few seconds later. I turned off the oven, but I was too impatient to wait any longer, so I removed the tealights from the oven, still pregnant with the "snowballs", but now smaller snowballs. Oh well.

I let them cool and congeal. I don't know how long that took. I left them alone and did other things. When they were fully cool and congealed, I stuck in the little birthday candles for wicks.

The ginger peppermint fragrance is mild and refreshing, only noticeable when you stand right next to them. They burn pretty!

1 Tealight Supplies.jpg2 Tealight cups stuffed.jpg3 Crisco mostly melted.jpg4 wicked and ready.jpg5 Workin.jpg6 Aaaah.jpg7 Crisco tealights.JPG

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's been chilly here this week, getting me in the mood to plan my holiday party early next month. Since everybody has personal dietary law these days, I find it easiest to just make party food all vegan, so everybody can eat.

I'm planning mini potato pancakes and some frozen mini samosas. The whole Thomas bagel line is vegan, so mini-bagel pizzas with homemade sauce and olives. Chips and salsa, always popular. For sweets, my epic vegan chocolate tray with chocolate Marias, dark chocolate squares and toasted pecans.

I would love to receive any other vegan party food ideas, but all of that is the long way around showing my simple breakfast today. I had to make space in the freezer, so I roasted up a bag of frozen corn on the cob that's been in there since summer. I used it to make what I think is the best cereal bowl, cooled roasted corn cut off the cob, with milk, sugar, cinnamon and bananas. I have some of the corn left over to make soup or salad later on.

Corn breakfast.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It's been chilly here this week, getting me in the mood to plan my holiday party early next month. Since everybody has personal dietary law these days, I find it easiest to just make party food all vegan, so everybody can eat.

I'm planning mini potato pancakes and some frozen mini samosas. The whole Thomas bagel line is vegan, so mini-bagel pizzas with homemade sauce and olives. Chips and salsa, always popular. For sweets, my epic vegan chocolate tray with chocolate Marias, dark chocolate squares and toasted pecans.

I would love to receive any other vegan party food ideas, but all of that is the long way around showing my simple breakfast today. I had to make space in the freezer, so I roasted up a bag of frozen corn on the cob that's been in there since summer. I used it to make what I think is the best cereal bowl, cooled roasted corn cut off the cob, with milk, sugar, cinnamon and bananas. I have some of the corn left over to make soup or salad later on.

View attachment 187950
Now thats a combo iv never seen or heard of before. 👍

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Vegetable snacks and no sugar drinks, lost 30 pounds this year, comfortably and without pain. Jarring stuff was key for me. Mini peppers, mini cukes. Bananas and seltzer were key too....but not pickled, lol.
Me too. When I completely cut sugar drinks out of my life in 2018, the weight loss journey seemed much less of a struggle. Then I gathered things to have on hand for mouth hunger, which has nothing to do with real hunger: pickled okra, shirataki, cherry tomatoes, baby cucumbers, olives, fresh fruit.

I'm having trouble right now though. The change of seasons seems to bring, not the goblins, but the gobbler. 🥨🥪🍕🌯🫔🥜

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Me too. When I completely cut sugar drinks out of my life in 2018, the weight loss journey seemed much less of a struggle. Then I gathered things to have on hand for mouth hunger, which has nothing to do with real hunger: pickled okra, shirataki, cherry tomatoes, baby cucumbers, olives, fresh fruit.

I'm having trouble right now though. The change of seasons seems to bring, not the goblins, but the gobbler. 🥨🥪🍕🌯🫔🥜
Yeah, the sugar drinks were super important. There is something to it, and not just high fructose. Worse than eating a pile of cookies.

Bananas in particular leave me feeling satisfied, and so easy to eat quickly. I also consciously ate more meat and vegetables and limited carbs. But nothing is as effective as removing the sugar drinks. Replaced it with seltzer, ice, and lemon. Sweet drinks seem awful to me now.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the sugar drinks were super important. There is something to it, and not just high fructose. Worse than eating a pile of cookies.

Bananas in particular leave me feeling satisfied, and so easy to eat quickly. I also consciously ate more meat and vegetables and limited carbs. But nothing is as effective as removing the sugar drinks. Replaced it with seltzer, ice, and lemon. Sweet drinks seem awful to me now.

Years ago I stopped drinking for a while and got a Belly like no beer Belly you ever saw. Was all the Sugar in Soda. Cut out soda years ago and went back to drinking. Still have a little belly but almost 60 years old and people don't believe my age. The belly is from Carbs and good food~! That keeps you young~!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Went bush today. Nothing else to do than that or fishing as we are locked out of society here.
Anyway, misses made some chicken cutlet things, I made some burrito breads. Thats what I took. With onion, tomato and zucchini. Had two, one for morning tea and this at lunch time. Flies were not too bad so it was a good feed in the bush, 29c, nice day.
IMG_20211122_130904_479~2.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You inspired me. I made one!

But mine looks more like bigfoot than burrito bread. I'm surprised I got a good photo, with all the smoke in the kitchen. It tasted pretty good though, after I pulled off the burnt bits.

View attachment 188039
Its how it tastes that matters.
I just use plain flower, water and I guess a tablespoon of olive oil then salt to taste.
A really runny mixture is best as it gets to spread out thin in the fry pan. Simple recipe that I saw on some show where the person was travelling around and visiting small villages and cooking with the locals.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its how it tastes that matters.
I just use plain flower, water and I guess a tablespoon of olive oil then salt to taste.
A really runny mixture is best as it gets to spread out thin in the fry pan. Simple recipe that I saw on some show where the person was travelling around and visiting small villages and cooking with the locals.
That's the difference. You added some oil. The recipe I found called for only flour, salt and water. Also it said to cut the dough into six balls, but I only made enough for two balls really, and then I wondered why bother dividing it.

That's it. Oil. And more water, a batter rather than a dough. I'm surprised, because yours looks like it was made from a kneaded dough. It looks kind of risen and crusty.

Anyway, I'll try it again soon, using your tips.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
That's the difference. You added some oil. The recipe I found called for only flour, salt and water. Also it said to cut the dough into six balls, but I only made enough for two balls really, and then I wondered why bother dividing it.

That's it. Oil. And more water, a batter rather than a dough. I'm surprised, because yours looks like it was made from a kneaded dough. It looks kind of risen and crusty.

Anyway, I'll try it again soon, using your tips.
The tablespoon of oil was making 6 of them. Though actually the spoon I used was maybe a bit smaller than a tablespoon.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I miss meatloaf, love the stuff but can't have it
What about super lean Turkey Breast mince meatloaf, or even Nutmeat meatloaf!?
Nutmeat is a nice substitute if you couldn't have the Turkey breast mince.
Or Quorn, its very nice. We have had it made in a pasta dish in place of meat and I'd give it the thumbs up. Its from a fungus.
I'll add that there has been health warnings for those allergic to fungus and mold from eating it. But so it is for many foods. I actually have bad reactions to some molds and fungus. But have had zero to that, the mushrooms I eat or the mushroom concentrates I told you about that I use for immunity, Cordyceps & Maitake

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What about super lean Turkey Breast mince meatloaf, or even Nutmeat meatloaf!?
Nutmeat is a nice substitute if you couldn't have the Turkey breast mince.
Or Quorn, its very nice.
Agree, Quorn is really tasty, good texture, better ingredients than a lot of meat replacements, and I like that it contains no soy.

I used to regularly follow a blog, Green Gourmet Giraffe. Haven't in a while, but she has probably a dozen recipes for nut loaf and nut roast. https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm eating BAD this week, still trying to clear out the freezer to make room for next month's party food. Bad can be delicious, but it makes me wonder why I even bought these things, since ordinarily I don't eat this way anymore. I guess that's why the freezer piled up with empty calories (stock photos, didn't take pics of things I only had to run in & out of the oven):

Last night (half still in the fridge for later, or the bin):

Pizza.JPG

Breakfast a few minutes ago, 4 of the 8 sticks and a pile of fries, leftovers in the fridge for later, or maybe for the stray cats that live at our building:

Fish sticks.JPGWaffle fries.JPG

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm eating BAD this week, still trying to clear out the freezer to make room for next month's party food. Bad can be delicious, but it makes me wonder why I even bought these things, since ordinarily I don't eat this way anymore. I guess that's why the freezer piled up with empty calories (stock photos, didn't take pics of things I only had to run in & out of the oven):

Last night (half still in the fridge for later, or the bin):

View attachment 188086

Breakfast a few minutes ago, 4 of the 8 sticks and a pile of fries, leftovers in the fridge for later, or maybe for the stray cats that live at our building:

View attachment 188087View attachment 188088
I ate bad last night too. Was shopping day yesterday, got a few too many snacks on impulse and regret it today. I'll never learn.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wifey made me a sweet potato pie, with subsitutes so I could have it and this is THEE VERY BEST sweet potato pie that I have ate in all my life, yes I am in trouble when she see's I had to sample it
20211124_165928.jpg

Here's my Organic Turkey, freshly butchered, never frozen' 20211123_113218.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
allergic to fungus and mold

That is one thing that fucks with me Big Time~! I am Allergic to Mold because anytime I clean or work near it, it fucks me up. Still will clean and get rid of it, but I suffer for a day or more afterwards. I start choking as soon as I get near Black Mold.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@SteveS45
Its not fun. Im allergic to one of the aspergillus molds, cant recall its full name but was tested and got a bad reaction to it. Athsma, confusion, nausea. When we used to live on the surf coast here in Victoria yrs ago it was a big problem with me there in winter. It was obviously very prevalent there. Up here though in the country im ok.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Im saying, yes yes yes and seconds please! 😛

Forget what Doctors have to say because they say you should get Jabbed~! D3 and Zinc has kept me NEGATIVE with 4 Possible Exposures to the CV-19. Listen to @Jimi ~! Oh, lets not forget the Anti Bacterial Properties of Vaporized PG from VAPING~!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was able to continue this week's project of clearing out the freezer to make room for my December party food, even using that to make my contribution to the Thanksgiving table. One bag each of frozen broccoli and cauliflower = gratin.

I had to make my own bread crumbs, toasted the bread and grated it, then mixed with melted butter.

I emptied one can cream of mushroom, undiluted, into the pot with the broc and cauli. Added salt, pinch of nutmeg, lots of fresh thyme, some red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper. Stir stir stir, I let it heat to a gentle boil, stirred in some butter, turned off the heat. Tasted for salt, stirred in more salt.

Preheated the oven to 350. Spooned the veg mixture into the pan, topped it with white cheddar and the bread crumbs. Into the oven just long enough to melt the cheese and brown the crumbs a bit more. Mmmmm...

For moving food, I use leftover tin pans from restaurant take-out. That way they can have the leftovers, then have the pan for their own use, or pitch it if they want to.

Gratin.jpg

It doesn't have to be cream of mushroom, but that's what I had. Could be cream of celery or cream of chicken, whatever you have.

We didn't have turkey. None of us really love turkey meat, and it's a big kitchen trauma for whoever has to cook the thing, so for the last few years we've had a tradition of tamales and beer for Thanksgiving. We figure it's more like what the pilgrims ate, a kind of unleavened corn pone containing meat shreds. Any feast would have been with one eye on the celebration, the other on winter food storage, so we're doubtful that either the pilgrims or the native Americans would have devoured whole large birds in a day. Anyway, whether our theory is right or wrong, we sometimes even find turkey tamales, but usually not. Sometimes holiday specialty tamales will come into the stores, filled with sweet potatoes or black eyed pea mash. But not this time. We had the assortment of chicken tamales, beef ones, and bean & cheese ones. For sides we had guacamole, brussels sprouts slaw, sweet potatoes with pecan topping, and my veg gratin.

I have a 1951 book "Cherokee Cooklore" which says:

"They relished fresh meat, after days without it, but they put aside a thrifty portion to be cured or dried for use at a time when fresh meat was not available. Gluttony was not a habit to foster, when there were always lean days ahead."

Then there is a long description of how corn was boiled, then dried over slow fires, for storage, to be used later in all sorts of ways.

What are your Thanksgiving food theories? And what did you eat? I speak food.

VU Sponsors