Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thx!

Probably would be yummy with avocado..but would turn/spoil pretty fast.
I did this as a way to not throw out the majority of a bunch of cilantro all the time without freezing it. I love the stuff, but it just doesn't keep well.

This is what I used as a baseline: https://freshbitesdaily.com/cilantro-pesto/
Super ez and works great. =)
Thank you!
I get tired of buying a bushel every week only to use half of it. awesome idea!!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you!
I get tired of buying a bushel every week only to use half of it. awesome idea!!

Skol! Glad to be useful. =)
I used 1/2 light Olive oil and 1/2 Grapeseed oil. A bit less overpowering and less likely to oxidize as pure EVOO is..IMO.

A DaleJr emote 4 U:
uHsrQZN.png

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Skol! Glad to be useful. =)
I used 1/2 light Olive oil and 1/2 Grapeseed oil. A bit less overpowering and less likely to oxidize as pure EVOO is..IMO.

A DaleJr emote 4 U:
uHsrQZN.png
Good idea with the grapeseed. I’ve been looking for a reason to add it. I usually use flaxseed as a sub. But as delicate as the flavors of this would be, I have my excuse now. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good idea with the grapeseed. I’ve been looking for a reason to add it. I usually use flaxseed as a sub. But as delicate as the flavors of this would be, I have my excuse now. :)

Ya, the 'green' flavor of most olive oils is great as a compliment flavor, but too heavy and you drown the delicate floral/citrus/peppery notes. Also raises the temp limit for the sauce if cooking. Can you say mexi-eggs? Just use some with a pinch of cumin instead of butter...bam, instant mexican-style eggs.

<< has way too many kinds of oil..lol

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ya, the 'green' flavor of most olive oils is great as a compliment flavor, but too heavy and you drown the delicate floral/citrus/peppery notes. Also raises the temp limit for the sauce if cooking. Can you say mexi-eggs? Just use some with a pinch of cumin instead of butter...bam, instant mexican-style eggs.

<< has way too many kinds of oil..lol
My wife used to get on me for the multiple oils, spices and vinegars. I have a rollout island with three shelves filled.
She understands now, but it took a while.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
well YOUR not da ONLY one...
@ First glance all i could think was this..
View attachment 163960
den figured better so cross referanced on da web. lol lol lol
Banana cream Pie. Never had one but one day would love to try one.
Every time I hear of banana cream pie or coconut cream pie I for some reason think Gilligans Island or an old fashioned movie pie fight. :giggle:
I googled Slap Ya Mama before and it said that when someone eats something so good and that they never had anything like it they would feel like slapping their moma for never cooking anything that good for them in the past! :confused:
Feel sorry for those momas right now! Ungrateful little mongrels! :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Banana cream Pie. Never had one but one day would love to try one.
Every time I hear of banana cream pie or coconut cream pie I for some reason think Gilligans Island or an old fashioned movie pie fight. :giggle:
I googled Slap Ya Mama before and it said that when someone eats something so good and that they never had anything like it they would feel like slapping their moma for never cooking anything that good for them in the past! :confused:
Feel sorry for those momas right now! Ungrateful little mongrels! :D

Or, you can make the blend, it is not fancy. ;-)
All of the fancy spices in a tin u see, just a guy who marketed/trademarked another culture's shit first.

Fuck capitalism. Food is food. All they do is build on generations of actual home cooks and take it for profit.

I made a super-hot pepper spice blend that many have loved.....could I sell it? Sure.
I'm not. I give it away. I gave a bottle of it to a Cajun cabby here for a tip..he was happy as fuck and refused my money.

That is the barter system, kids....best to learn it now. When currency has no value, what does?

I will always have value, just not as much yet...but I will.
Do you know how to light a fire from nothing but a knife? Can you grow, hunt, or cook food without a supermarket? Times will come when those who can't..will die out.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Beef chunks partially cooked with chopped onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and Shriracha sauce.
20200630_154454(1).jpg
Some added potatoes, carrots, beans,cauliflower and parsely later. Cooked for 3 hours on low. Mmmm, perfect winter meal.
20200630_180037(1).jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was inspired by the cilantro pesto...

chicken pesto (not cilantro, I had plenty of basil left over)
View attachment 163996
Tasty!
Beef chunks partially cooked with chopped onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and Shriracha sauce.
View attachment 164029
Some added potatoes, carrots, beans,cauliflower and parsely later. Cooked for 3 hours on low. Mmmm, perfect winter meal.
View attachment 164030
And perfect comfort food for a winter day. But it's terribly hot here this time of year, so I had leftover grilled chicken with loaded mashed potatoes and peas. No pic, cuz I ate it.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Smoked a couple of brisket flats yesterday. Not too bad for a 1st attempt.
View attachment 164032
View attachment 164033
View attachment 164034
Mmm, I have a smoker I use for fish. Did some chicken wings in it once and they were great. Never thought of beef. Must try it.
Tasty!

And perfect comfort food for a winter day. But it's terribly hot here this time of year, so I had leftover grilled chicken with loaded mashed potatoes and peas. No pic, cuz I ate it.
Give me a four months and temps in the 30s to 40s celcius and salads will be on the menu too. Not a fan of this really cold weather myself, though come then and I'll be complaining about the heat :giggle:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mmm, I have a smoker I use for fish. Did some chicken wings in it once and they were great. Never thought of beef. Must try it.

Give me a four months and temps in the 30s to 40s celcius and salads will be on the menu too. Not a fan of this really cold weather myself, though come then and I'll be complaining about the heat :giggle:
LOL, sounds about right, but I don't mind winter at all.

Fire up that smoker and get to posting!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
LOL, sounds about right, but I don't mind winter at all.

Fire up that smoker and get to posting!
Im planning on doing a couple of perch I caught here. Just need a light wind day to do it as its a portable and uses a metho burner. It blows out easily with a bit of wind. Im due to make some jerky though this week which I will for sure. Love that stuff.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Round these parts (Texas) it's all about the beef, although many smokers likely see as much pork and chicken. Brisket is really a crappy cut of meat, but when seasoned simply and cooked over low heat (around 225 F) for a long time it comes out very tender and tasty.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Round these parts (Texas) it's all about the beef, although many smokers likely see as much pork and chicken. Brisket is really a crappy cut of meat, but when seasoned simply and cooked over low heat (around 225 F) for a long time it comes out very tender and tasty.
Im going to try it for sure. We are lucky that our Aldi store in town gets some of the nicest beef I've had. I met a guy from somewhere in Texas years ago, he was on holiday and we went detecting. Nice guy, a viet veteran, I remember him saying how beef was king there to eat. When I asked him how about lamb he just laughed. :giggle:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Some Pasta Sauce. 10 lb italian sausage, 2 whole yellow onion, 3 lb mushrooms, Basil, Oregano, Tyme, 20 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 5 bay leaves, 8 large cans of Hunts Tomato Sauce. 2 Cans Contadina Tomato Paste.Pasta sauce 001.JPG

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made these mini-burgers for snacking during a recent iRacing event. :)

It's seasoned Angus beef, colby-jack cheese, sauteed red onion and red jalapeno, on cute little buns spread with a mix of ranch, TJ's Bomba sauce and spicy brown mustard.

d5j1Pq2.jpg

Not really as a small as sliders, but not full-sized either. A fun size.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Made these mini-burgers for snacking during a recent iRacing event. :)

It's seasoned Angus beef, colby-jack cheese, sauteed red onion and red jalapeno, on cute little buns spread with a mix of ranch, TJ's Bomba sauce and spicy brown mustard.

d5j1Pq2.jpg

Not really as a small as sliders, but not full-sized either. A fun size.
Those look tasty, but you forgot the prime ingredient Bacon! ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those look tasty, but you forgot the prime ingredient Bacon! ?

Nah, bacon is hard to find near me and is rather pricey ATM. Plus these are like 3.5" wide mini-burgers...they don't need much more on them. ;-)

Gopher...
I really think he may have bacon in der
I mean dat looks more like Bacon den red Onions
yet delicious
View attachment 164120
an may i add a YUM YUM to da burgers...

Nope, that is an fried red onion. Sorry.
I really hope you don't have any purple bacon.. ;)

There is a good amount of chipotle morita powder and smoked garlic pepper mixed in and marinated overnight with the meat though... simple little burgers, but a ton of flavor. :D

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I suspect that is a sauteed red onion that @CaFF mentioned. If it's bacon that pig needed a little plumping up before giving up it's life to greatness. ?

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I personally like a tempura-style rice flour mix with a bit of Panko for crunch too...very light and crisp and you can season it however u want. =)

I also almost never actually deep-fry...convection oven FTW.

Last time I did fry, it was homemade onion rings and I saved/strained out the oil...creates an amazing onion-seasoned oil for cooking with. ;-)
OK rice flour should be arriving in the door TODAY.
least its in the shopping cart for curb side pick up..

so what are the ratios...
this is the Bacic tempura recipe I have been playing with ..
comes from the CIA { cullinary institute of america Text book }
temporia recipe.jpg

yet am game for any and all changes ..
and this go's out to you too @f1r3b1rd

cuz I LOVE da way you fellers cook.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK rice flour should be arriving in the door TODAY.
least its in the shopping cart for curb side pick up..

so what are the ratios...
this is the Bacic tempura recipe I have been playing with ..
comes from the CIA { cullinary institute of america Text book }
View attachment 164177

yet am game for any and all changes ..
and this go's out to you too @f1r3b1rd

cuz I LOVE da way you fellers cook.
You’re talking about fish fry?
ive never used Pablo or rice flour to fry fish.
i use either lightly seasoned white flour, with a dark or rich sauce. Or I use the seasoned cornmeal.
Shrimp I either use seasoned corn meal or white flour with panko.
very rare that I use Panko at all.
tonight I’m doing breaded pork chops with smothered cabbage. Not sure if using panko or seasoned breadcrumbs. After seeing this i may have to do the panko

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You’re talking about fish fry?
ive never used Pablo or rice flour to fry fish.
i use either lightly seasoned white flour, with a dark or rich sauce. Or I use the seasoned cornmeal.
I am talking shrimp Tempura

so this???
GUEST_6323945e-f54e-45a7-b329-321e03491d16

and this
c00854ce-de9f-4838-8bd0-dfa36bc66765_1.a06202b909d70ccb541982a14bb42894.jpeg

and DATS IT?? your right that would be EASY
{also been playing with tempria batter}
You ever incorperate CAKE FLOUR into the corn starch
makes a Light and almost sweet coating.. REALLY GOOD

have been wondeing about incorperating almond flour into a deep fried concept.

{also been playing with tempria batter}
You ever incorperate CAKE FLOUR into the corn starch
makes a Light and almost sweet coating.. REALLY GOOD

have been wondeing about incorperating almond flour into a deep fried concept.
------------- {from prior post}

it just take me a while to be able to get ing. out here

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
shrimp Tempura
Yeah sorry, not a regular thing for me.
if I have shrimps they are getting fried Nola style, used in a cajun dish, grilled or very rarely used in fried rice.
i cook mostly Italian, French or Mediterranean. I still have a lot to learn about Asian cuisine

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Figured with da wok you were looking at ya had this in the Bag for sure..

btw am gaga for french

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Figured with da wok you were looking at ya had this in the Bag for sure..

btw am gaga for french
No, I do a decent fried rice, low mein and other stir fry; but, I’ve got a long way to go before I start getting into the fun stuff.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you

For asparagus I trum the ends, rub them with salt, pepper and minced garlic then marinate them in GOOD olive oil and GOOD balsamic vinegar for at least a half hour. Followed up with put them on the grill, griddle or saute pan

even Cold its good.. been nibbling off the leftovers and still I say yummmmmmmm.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made this wrap-thing yesterday for snackin'.

8mksMbxl.jpg

Stuff: a nice big flour tort, seasoned brown rice, fresh spinach, red onion, hot little chiles from the MX store, cheese, garlic salt, a few grinds of Tellicherry pepper, and a drizzle of ElPato Jalapeno Sauce. Simple and yummers.

These were the chiles I'd gotten. Sooo pretty!

6XZCo9Dl.jpg

Definitely more like an Asian type than their usual peppers, but for $1.38/lb I didn't argue. ;)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Made this wrap-thing yesterday for snackin'.

8mksMbxl.jpg

Stuff: a nice big flour tort, seasoned brown rice, fresh spinach, red onion, hot little chiles from the MX store, cheese, garlic salt, a few grinds of Tellicherry pepper, and a drizzle of ElPato Jalapeno Sauce. Simple and yummers.

These were the chiles I'd gotten. Sooo pretty!

6XZCo9Dl.jpg

Definitely more like an Asian type than their usual peppers, but for $1.38/lb I didn't argue. ;)
Those wraps look killer!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Decided to give smoked eggs a try. These not myself.
Screenshot_20200707-110918.png
20200707_095858(1).jpg
Cooked them with some delicious curried pork sausages. Yep I broke a yoke.
20200707_103701(1).jpg
So what are they like? They definitely have a smoked flavour about them. But, I love the taste of eggs and I could only taste the smoke flavour. Yeah I'll eat the rest but wont buy them again. But those curried pork sausages from Aldi :p

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m sort of embarrassed to post this... but it’s basically one of my daily meals.

ed8094aeef7667820cb0a56523c55c1a.jpg

Just ground beef and broccoli

5oz steamed Broccoli lightly salted
10oz 88/12 Ground beef- Salt,pepper, few dashes of garlic powder

All sprinkled with a few dashes if Cholula Hot sauce

Many might recall I eat Keto... and OMAD most days... this is my One Meal A Day.

367th day of this variant dish... other is chicken...

0.8g Carbs about 700cals (5.5-4.7fiber)

Not much further to go and I’ll go back to normal diet and sensibly.

No sugar, ultra low carbs, supplements and a ton of coffee and water.

But nearly 100 lost with only moderate walking (3X day 1-1.5miles- 4 miles+)

Iron will... I only care what food I eat before I eat... pretend it’s pizza or tacos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I’m sort of embarrassed to post this... but it’s basically one of my daily meals.

Many might recall I eat Keto... and OMAD most days... this is my One Meal A Day.

But nearly 100 lost with only moderate walking (3X day 1-1.5miles)

Iron will... I only care what food I eat before I eat... pretend it’s pizza or tacos

Nothing embarrassing about that and wow 100lb lost! That's awesome! ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PXqlQ7zl.jpg

Hard-boiled egg cooked in an Egglet. I found a 4-pack of these for like a dollar at the thrift store and thought I'd give 'em a go. Worked pretty well and no peeling required. :)

Not a great photo, but it was a neat experiment.

*edit*
Added a link for clarity on what an Egglet is. =)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I should use your same general idea, except my meal should be meat and rice. At least those are two things I know I don't have sensitivities to, especially chicken and rice.

Several times I've had to spend extended periods of time on anti-inflammatory diets because of gluten, lactose, nightshades, nitrates/nitrites, and other food sensitivities. I should be on one now, and just can't come up with the chutzpah to do it.

Might be able to have eggs, too. Seem to do ok with eggs.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

What else also helps is using chopsticks and sucking at it. Lol

Sent from a pile of wood chips

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

nothing to be embarrassed about at all, it’s healthy and it looks good
You’re making me question my good decisions

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
What else also helps is using chopsticks and sucking at it. Lol

Sent from a pile of wood chips

How to Make Kiddie Chopsticks

1. Break apart the chopsticks.
  2. Roll up the paper all the way to the end.
  3. Place the rolled up paper in between the two broken ends.
  4. Place the rubberband over the chopsticks, on the side of the paper that’s closest to the middle.
  5. Pull the rubberband down, twist to form an “X”, and bring it up over the outer end of the chopsticks.
1594413610518.png
I learned how to use chopsticks from a guy from vietman
{Girlfriends Boyfriend}
you eat his food you eat his way.. and HE could cook..
yet he always talked about kiddie chopsticks...

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
nothing to be embarrassed about at all, it’s healthy and it looks good
You’re making me question my good decisions

It’s truly difficult to eat the way I have for so long when the wife eats whatever... and all the crap she eats is just hanging around the house.

That and I’m a lazy cook... I’m able to cook many traditional Filipino foods, but they are all basically carb heavy...

It’s worse when we go out and about and wife says to me, let’s get food... I’m like ok, let’s get you food.

More so when my baby sis came here from Arizona over the holiday weekend... meet up for dinner 3 times... here I am asking for plain grilled chicken nothing else... when they’re all down delish stuff

I admit I tried a seasoned French fry

Like soon it’s almost time to make my one meal for the day... thinking I’ll be making Chicken and you guessed it... broccoli... might go a few ounces more... but it get hard to eat that much in one sitting... 10oz of chicken and 6oz of broccoli is a pound of food... might top it with some Shredded cheddar cause it would only be 550 calories and 0.9g carbs, drop a dollop of sour cream to add a little tang then chop a few green onion garnish... that’ll bring it to 680 cal and 1.7 carbs

People ask me how I eat only once a day... drink of ton of water and coffee with protein powder (unflavored) otherwise I’d probably Do intermittent fasting which is what I do now, but 23-1 compared to 16-8 (8 would be the window to eat)

Sorry for the wall of text, not a ton of people I know who are OMAD+Keto... don’t get to share my year long experience with anyone.

VU Sponsors