https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It’s truly difficult to eat the way I have for so long when the wife eats whatever... and all the crap she eats is just hanging around the house.

That and I’m a lazy cook... I’m able to cook many traditional Filipino foods, but they are all basically carb heavy...

It’s worse when we go out and about and wife says to me, let’s get food... I’m like ok, let’s get you food.

More so when my baby sis came here from Arizona over the holiday weekend... meet up for dinner 3 times... here I am asking for plain grilled chicken nothing else... when they’re all down delish stuff

I admit I tried a seasoned French fry

Like soon it’s almost time to make my one meal for the day... thinking I’ll be making Chicken and you guessed it... broccoli... might go a few ounces more... but it get hard to eat that much in one sitting... 10oz of chicken and 6oz of broccoli is a pound of food... might top it with some Shredded cheddar cause it would only be 550 calories and 0.9g carbs, drop a dollop of sour cream to add a little tang then chop a few green onion garnish... that’ll bring it to 680 cal and 1.7 carbs

People ask me how I eat only once a day... drink of ton of water and coffee with protein powder (unflavored) otherwise I’d probably Do intermittent fasting which is what I do now, but 23-1 compared to 16-8 (8 would be the window to eat)

Sorry for the wall of text, not a ton of people I know who are OMAD+Keto... don’t get to share my year long experience with anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No apologies, at all.
I’ve been looking into keto, but many elements wouldn’t work for me medically.
Years back I dropped a 150 pounds using the “the hard body plan” from men’s health. It shares a few elements with keto, with a fair amount of exceptions. It’s more based on changing lifestyles. Problem here is I’m the one that does the cooking for 2 kids and 2 adults. As it is I usually cook for the wife and I and something different for the kids. I’m not lazy Perse, but I’m not fixing three separate dinners altogether.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty fortunate, I can eat pretty much anything in moderation. But, I kinda have a range of foods my body likes. A lot depends too on how I feel, what season it is,what is on hand, and etc. I don't drive so I buy for the month and that is that.

I also eat small portions, none of this 3-meals a day thing. Have a high metabolism too...much of that is driven by the chiles/onions/ginger/garlic I eat daily, body type, and fairly good genes too I guess.

Yesterday, I made a cold tuna pasta salad. Originally from a box of Helper I wanted to use up, but OFC I messed with it until it was what *I* wanted. Added more pasta, veggies, etc.

(pics are crappy, I think I screwed up some setting in the camera and it's providing shitty pics of late.)

yapMxrAl.jpg

P617JHJl.jpg

It's yellow because i added a bunch of yummy curry powder and a plethora of spices. Also added some toasted sesame oil and Sambal Olek. I kicked up the solid-white albacore tuna's flavor too with a few drops of Three Crabs fish sauce. ?

Not actually Asian style, but in that direction...lol

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today, I said frell the cooking...I made a wee sammich. :D
Those little Persian 'cukes are the shiz. Love them.

Meats are uncured pastrami and ham, cheese is sharp cheddar, and it's all on some nice sourdough bread.

FjPpeu0l.jpg

WmWNRl6l.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Today, I said frell the cooking...I made a wee sammich. :D
Those little Persian 'cukes are the shiz. Love them.

Meats are uncured pastrami and ham, cheese is sharp cheddar, and it's all on some nice sourdough bread.

FjPpeu0l.jpg

WmWNRl6l.jpg
Hi. Are you from England? Only ever heard sammich used by those from the UK before.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi. Are you from England? Only ever heard sammich used by those from the UK before.

LOL, nah...I'm in the USA, though originally Canadian.
But, I used to hang with a number of Aussies and UK folks online. Just picked up some of their ways I guess. :)

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Like soon it’s almost time to make my one meal for the day... thinking I’ll be making Chicken and you guessed it... broccoli... might go a few ounces more... but it get hard to eat that much in one sitting... 10oz of chicken and 6oz of broccoli is a pound of food... might top it with some Shredded cheddar cause it would only be 550 calories and 0.9g carbs, drop a dollop of sour cream to add a little tang then chop a few green onion garnish... that’ll bring it to 680 cal and 1.7 carbs

People ask me how I eat only once a day...

I know the answeer
the rest of the day your figuring out all the Cals, Carbs and oz's ...
to get to the low low number of 550? - 680?

UTMOST respect could not do that for myself everyday...

and to prove it..
HEY @f1r3b1rd
GOT the slap your ma ma ...
and the louisiana fish fry breading
and a BUNCH of fish from da moo cow man {aka my fish monger} lol lol lol

and rice flour @CaFF {hint hint}

amazon risoto was back ordered will try again at curbside.
not giving up

yet love amazon for what ya can't not get out here...

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Flounder and shrimp Meunière with steamed vegetables
View attachment 165052
omygosh YOU CAN SLAP YOUR MA MA EVERY WEEK..
not over spicey yet leaves a I want more little burn that cuts the oil
THIS IS GREAT.. NOT heavy and pasty breading.
PERFECT with the croppies.
yum yum
sparkey says THIS IS WICKED GOOD don't loose the recipe ..
THANK YOU ever so @f1r3b1rd

I WILL make this again and again.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
omygosh YOU CAN SLAP YOUR MA MA EVERY WEEK..
not over spicey yet leaves a I want more little burn that cuts the oil
THIS IS GREAT.. NOT heavy and pasty breading.
PERFECT with the croppies.
yum yum
sparkey says THIS IS WICKED GOOD don't loose the recipe ..
THANK YOU ever so @f1r3b1rd

I WILL make this again and again.
Glad y’all enjoyed it. Best part about it is that it doesn’t take long to make.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ultra simple but tasty. Full cream milk, shaved extra matured parmesan cheese, parsley and chicken salt omelette on low carb soft grain toast. :)
20200718_105409(1).jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Getting warm today, high around 85F, so minimal cookery going on. Made a breakfast hash though, ate some, saved the rest for snacks and weekend no-fuss meals. :)

It's got pre-shredded potatoes, mushrooms, two kinds of sausage, spicy Jalapeno and sweet Peppadew peppers, onion, a scrambled egg. etc.

Eaten on a soft-taco size gordita tort spread with Crema and hit with a dash of a great Habanero sauce.

Why pay out the wazzo for take-out huge-azz breakfast burritos made to serve like 6 people when I can just make my own anytime? :cool:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This dough is strong....just look at those bubbles. Love it so muches.

Yeah, I fed it my 50/50 rice/AP flour mix on the board, out of the fridge for kneading., Then some Masa later on for the rise with the EVOO in the 50yo Pryrex...I spoil my dough...lol...

Yeast is a living thing...feed it well.

FP3ZFnU.jpg

In the immortal words of the Scorpions:

It's early morning, the sun comes out
Last night was shaking and pretty loud
My cat is purring, it scratches my skin
So what is wrong with another sin?
The bitch is hungry, she needs to tell
So give her inches and feed her well
More days to come, new places to go
I've got to leave, it's time for a show

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This shit is incredible. This is what yeast should be capable of. :)

Os9Yads.jpg

I had to put a stop to it sadly, before it took over Blob-style.
Half went in plastic into the freezer for later on, the other half waiting on the cutting board for pizza time.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I intended to do a full assault with lots of toppings, but nah...out of respect for this dough I went simple.

homemade garlic marinara, provolone and peppperjack cheese, some italian herbs, and pepperoni.

VOZACj3.jpg

It was already rising about the time I turned around from taking pic to a peek at the oven. :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ah yes, this shall do nicely in my belly. :D

9w7f56R.jpg

About 1/4" thick crust, chewy but not doughy, and delicious.

QdJm5dM.jpg
:eek::eek: That looks absolutely amazing!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder how the dough would of turned out with a few dashes of vinegar incorporated?

Fuck I miss pizza

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching Baseball!! OK, it's just "spring" training, but still, it's baseball. ;)

Gotta have a dawg. ?⚾?

This one I used a nice fat boiled beef hotdog, split and put open-faced on a bun spread with Faraon mustard/habanero hotsauce from Panama. Then some chilli, the dog, cheddar cheese, red onions and bacon bits.

ggJytkX.jpg

Not damn bad. And no mess on my shirt..lol..

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Watching Baseball!! OK, it's just "spring" training, but still, it's baseball. ;)

Gotta have a dawg. ?⚾?

This one I used a nice fat boiled beef hotdog, split and put open-faced on a bun spread with Faraon mustard/habanero hotsauce from Panama. Then some chilli, the dog, cheddar cheese, red onions and bacon bits.

ggJytkX.jpg

Not damn bad. And no mess on my shirt..lol..

I may have just decided what I want to eat tonight. Mine will be much less "decorated" than yours, though - I'm a plain dog with just chili person.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Had a complete and utter disaster tonight. Reckon that’s what happens when you experiment.
tried making a play on a Mexican style lasagna sub hash brown potatoes for
Pasta.

I used ground chuck, cojita cheeses, several different peppers and onion. What was meant to be a firm casserole style dish turned into a soup. It wasn’t inedible, but wasn’t good either.
Now I’m stuck in a quandary, usually these are the times that I want to keep trying until i get what I had envisioned... but I think I’ll pass this time.
Tomorrow will be stuffed pork loin with vegetables
Little more my speed

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Little more my speed
Oh yeah. Noms. Man, we ran into a helluva sale a couple weeks ago. 4 lb pork loin for under $4. Shocking. Took 4 chops out, froze the rest.

Tonight, we ate separately. Long day, didn't wanna cook, just too hot. I had doctored up soup, he had taquitos. I turned a light soup into an artery clogger. Chicken Enchilada Cheese soup that isn't very good (in the light version, but the regular is the bomb when it can be found), added ground pepper, onion powder, a tad of garlic powder, sour cream, Louisiana Hot Sauce, Cholula green sauce (jalapeno/pablano), a slice of American and a shredded 3 cheese blend. Toss in some crushed up tortilla chips! Without being doctored, it's quite horrible. The regular one, though, I just love that one.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Had a complete and utter disaster tonight. Reckon that’s what happens when you experiment.
tried making a play on a Mexican style lasagna sub hash brown potatoes for
Pasta.

I used ground chuck, cojita cheeses, several different peppers and onion. What was meant to be a firm casserole style dish turned into a soup. It wasn’t inedible, but wasn’t good either.
Now I’m stuck in a quandary, usually these are the times that I want to keep trying until i get what I had envisioned... but I think I’ll pass this time.
Little more my speed

Try it with crushed Fritos instead of hash browns. ?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Try it with crushed Fritos instead of hash browns. ?
I’ll keep that in mind, probably won’t do something like this again until winter.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hell yeah...Frito Pie!!!

Chili's Restaurant used to serve it as Chili Pie. Yummy stuff. Miss having Chili's around.

I do that sometimes to use up leftover chili con carne.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Damnit, now I have to find some tasty wieners
well I make sourkrout
cabbage 5..jpg
and have da hotdogs
Yet no Buns..

an dat galaxy 1/2 oven is on da way here..
yet not gonna make it by midnight....

soooooooo what to do what to do...
wounder if you can make Buns in a Bread maker.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made a couple of "brunch burritos", one for now and one for later.

I had leftover tomato to use up, so made a nice Salsa last night with the chopped-up Roma tomato, tinned green chiles, red onion, some of that Cilantro pesto, crushed fresh garlic, smoked garlic salt, black pepper, lime juice, dash of N.M. chile powder, and ground cumin.

Spread refried beans on some lovely soft flour torts from Mexico I get at the Dollar Tree.
Added leftover brekky hash from the other day, pepperjack cheese, and the salsa. EZ!!

In for the close-up!

One for me, one for the fridge for later nukin'. Prep once, eat lots, I say. ;)

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Made a couple of "brunch burritos", one for now and one for later.

I had leftover tomato to use up, so made a nice Salsa last night with the chopped-up Roma tomato, green chilse, onion, garlic, some of that Cilantro pesto, crushed fresh garlic, smoked garlic salt, black pepper, lime juice, dash of N.M. chile powder, and ground cumin.

Spread refried beans on some lovely soft flour torts from Mexico I get at the Dollar Tree.
Added leftover brekky hash from the other day, pepperjack cheese, and the salsa. EZ!!

In for the close-up!

One for me, one for the fridge for later nukin'. Prep once, eat lots, I say. ;)
Nice!!! That looks really good!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hubbs made barbecue chicken on the grill and chunky boiled potatoes last night. Was wonderful. And tonight, he fixed up the leftover potatoes with extra liquid and a can of corned beef, made like a peppery corned beef and potato chunky soup. Was again wonderful.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I gotta remember to take pics, but we were very hungry.

Doctored up frozen pizza.

Added fresh ground Tellicherry pepper, oregano, fennel, onion and garlic powders, minced garlic, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, jalapeno, onions, 3 cheese blend, more mozz, asiago/parm blend... oh, black olives. He adds El Yucateco green to his after, then I add Louisiana to mine.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I gotta remember to take pics, but we were very hungry.

Doctored up frozen pizza.

Added fresh ground Tellicherry pepper, oregano, fennel, onion and garlic powders, minced garlic, pepperoni, roasted red peppers, jalapeno, onions, 3 cheese blend, more mozz, asiago/parm blend... oh, black olives. He adds El Yucateco green to his after, then I add Louisiana to mine.

Niiiice, sounds like something I'd do. :D

I will say, of all the El Yucateco sauces, the brightly dyed red and green are my least fave.

This one has a life-altering smokey green habanero flavor: https://www.hotsauce.com/el-yucateco-xxxtra-hot-chile-habanero/

I get it in my MX store for cheap and always 2-3 bottles stocked up. It's amazing on eggs, burritos, nachos, and in dips and marinades. The Caribbean one I used above is likely my 2nd fave. :)

PS: The Black sauce they have is basically CHARRED habs. Not that much heat or chile flavor, but amazing as a smokey additive in dips, marinades, or on burgers.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not cooking with it just yet, but yummers.
Love the label and story on the back.

IMG_20200724_182801.jpg IMG_20200724_182947.jpg

Quite sharp at 13%, yet fruity and sweet. A bit dry with pear and almost grapefruit undertones to this one. Spicy for a young California Char.

(Had to LOL that it is from Manteca, CA since Manteca is pig lard. Great shit to cook with BTW....like a natural Crisco that tastes like bacon.)

Daddy likes. :vino:

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Niiiice, sounds like something I'd do. :D

I will say, of all the El Yucateco sauces, the brightly dyed red and green are my least fave.

This one has a life-altering smokey green habanero flavor: https://www.hotsauce.com/el-yucateco-xxxtra-hot-chile-habanero/

I get it in my MX store for cheap and always 2-3 bottles stocked up. It's amazing on eggs, burritos, nachos, and in dips and marinades. The Caribbean one I used above is likely my 2nd fave. :)

PS: The Black sauce they have is basically CHARRED habs. Not that much heat or chile flavor, but amazing as a smokey additive in dips, marinades, or on burgers.
He is now deeply intrigued. He said he thought about the xxxtra hot one, but thought it might actually be too hot for him, and it's rare that anything is. Now with what you said about it, he very much wants it, so on our grocery list it goes, as will the black.

Thanks!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He is now deeply intrigued. He said he thought about the xxxtra hot one, but thought it might actually be too hot for him, and it's rare that anything is. Now with what you said about it, he very much wants it, so on our grocery list it goes, as will the black.

Thanks!

Awesome! Ya can't go wrong with the Kutbil-Ik, even seasoned chileheads like that one for it's versatility and rich flavor.

It has some hab heat for sure, but nothing like the insane Scorpion/Reaper shit I enjoy. :devil:
My advice: stay away from extract-based sauces. Natural is the way to go.
Chemically made extracts are the thing that go far over the natural limits of chiles and are gonna hurt ya. Humans CAN metabolize Capsaicin, if it's naturally occurring.

I eat the Paqui ghost pepper chips because I like them...and no iced TP needed. ;)

Ya wanna get serious..go here: http://thehotpepper.com/

Sauces, chile lore, cookery, pepper growing, etc...all in there. We were growing and eating Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich, Fatali, Trinidad Scorpions and other superhots years before most people even knew they existed.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, a simple hab sauce recipe. I've made it, it's nice. :)

You also can't go wrong with Rick Bayless for recipes. His Adobo is the bomb.

VU Sponsors